Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004
ATTENTION
POST NO ANIMES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

El made me

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Did we use too many bombs on Japan, or not enough? :thunk:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I've got a literal ton of lumber sitting in my garage. It's deck-buildin' time.
/dad

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
That's a ton of dad in your dad and it's dad-building time.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Slim Pickens posted:

Eclipse chat:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

That page is pretty good if you're trying to make plans still, but lol if you think you have a chance at getting a camp site in the Tetons without showing up a week in advance. We were gonna try to find a spot in the national forest to camp in, but it turns out the fiancee knows a dude with a house 20 miles outside of the tetons that's inside the path of totality, so gently caress yeah for marrying someone who isn't also a shut-in loser :coal:

I'll be in the backcountry of Grand Teton, most likely. I'm not getting up there until the saturday before and all the campsites are first come, first serve, so I'm just planning on having to hike in a bit. Those campsites only have 1 week limits on occupancy anyhow, so I might get lucky.

I wish there was some place closer than a 9 hour drive with a great view, but thems the breaks.

Also, most schools will be in session by then so a bunch of camping kids and parents isn't likely.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a pretty rare event, so I wouldn't count out some families missing a day or two of school. Ask you teachers ahead of time and they'll give you some homework to complete on your vacation to keep your grades up.

Edit: next one is 2019 in the middle of the ocean, maybe book a cruise so you can TBeat some momguts and watch the moon cross the sun

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 5, 2017

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Just finished oiling my house. The sun was causing the logs to bleach a bit so I put on a coat a oil and I'll probably need another coat or two once that dries in to get the logs looking a bit better. After that it could probably stand to have a bit of the stained oil on it, but since I'm moving I might not do that unless the house sits on the market for awhile.

I've got 3 decks around my house that I'm going to refinish and stain next. Two of them are about 10 years old or so and weren't taken care of before I moved in. The other one I built about 3 years back and is great shape, but the stain is a bit worn on the walkway since my wife insists on putting down salt and scraping the shovel against the wood.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TBeats posted:

Goddamn. $1000 gets you a 3br/2.5ba townhouse in my part of VA.

:stare: That might get you literally a trailer in northern NV. And not a nice one.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Central oregon is about ~$1700 for a 3 bed 2 bathroom house. You can go lower for something a bit older...

The market is starting to creep way the gently caress up though.. I'm honestly considering buying just because I can foresee this market turning into a place where 300k doesn't get you poo poo..

Fingers crossed for another recession

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

MurderBot posted:

God drat eclipse is going to bring 500,000 or so extra people to Central Oregon. Where I work at is apparently a prime spot to view this eclipse too, so our tiny hospital is going to be inundated with people. They're estimating 5x the amount of patient visits for a 24 hour shift. Going from Madras Oregon to bend Oregon is supposed to take upwards of 6 hours for a drive that's normally 50 minutes

I'll be working 6 days straight, 16 hour days, all critical needs pay. Hopefully at the end of this post the entire world will be engulfed in fire and everyone dies.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Godholio posted:

:stare: That might get you literally a trailer in northern NV. And not a nice one.

nobody wants to live in appalachian va because there is almost no work. maybe some transportation/logistics stuff(trucking, fork lift operator, etc) at 66/81 or 64/81, commuting to dc from winchester, and technology/engineering in blacksburg and roanoke. other than farming, there isnt much going on there anymore.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Godholio posted:

What the gently caress is going on in northern Nevada?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

All of you may suck my flappy Canadian dick from the back

2k/mo for a small 1br that may or may not be roach infested in Van or Toronto.

I don't miss that. I moved to Victoria as the winter/spring university semester was ending and got a nice little 1br apartment for $900/month. By August an identical unit in the same building was $1300 :stare:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I pay $1200 for a pretty nice two bedroom apartment in the Twin Cities metro.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Man, y'all making me feel like a ghetto rear end in a top hat for living in a dive. But it's a place and affordable enough to catch up on all my other debt. And as bad as this place is, it's still a step up from Memphis.

I desperately hate this goddamn apartment but it's so loving cheap compared to everything else, I might stay put a year longer just to work on saving for buying again someday.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I pay $725 for a ROOM in a small apt.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

Eclipse chat:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

That page is pretty good if you're trying to make plans still, but lol if you think you have a chance at getting a camp site in the Tetons without showing up a week in advance. We were gonna try to find a spot in the national forest to camp in, but it turns out the fiancee knows a dude with a house 20 miles outside of the tetons that's inside the path of totality, so gently caress yeah for marrying someone who isn't also a shut-in loser :coal:

I have the day off and am driving the hour north To get a really good view. I could see it from my office, but I wouldn't see the total. Worth it to see something I may never see again.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

I pay $725 for a ROOM in a small apt.

Thanks for cheering me up.

I thought about trying to rent a basement apartment or something but wouldn't save any money and it's a real bitch finding a place that will take a dog and two cats, let alone a pot smoking hippy.

My lease explicitly states that I can smoke all the weed I want in this shithole, just can't grow. That's a pretty big indicator for the kind of shithole I live in. Most places with any kind of pride in their community say no to even having it on property in the lease, but few enforce it. But big mil-town so that's kinda expected anyhow. :/

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i pay 1500 a month for a 2200 sq foot house and 2 acres of land that i own and mow

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Time to mow my poo poo.
Itchy itchy.

My mortgage is only $900. I rent out a studio over the garage for $650.
Thought if I had put down 20% instead of 80% I'd have a much bigger payment.

Thanks Bay Area, CA housing market for making my WA dream come true!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I pay 2000 for a large (for Manhattan) room inside of a 3rd/3ba place.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Deathy McDeath posted:

mother of loving god and I'm from New York

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Deathy McDeath posted:

Yeah but you are near the MET so it's really about right.

God I miss being a tourist in NYC.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I'm paying 735 for a 2 bed 1 bath w/attached garage.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm just looking forward to a 600-800sq ft box on a chunk of land I can build a small cabin on eventually as a guest quarters. Also a plumbed outdoor shitter.

I have this odd desire to build an outhouse style plumbed shitter facing the nearest road, with one of those split farmhouse doors so I can poo poo with my bits covered but still wave at the neighbors as they drive to work.

This is my dream.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Deathy McDeath posted:

Good god. You told me this when we were discussing our respective cities back in March and it still makes my brain hurt.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I'm two blocks from Deathy in a 1BR paying just slightly more :downs:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

What the gently caress is going on in northern Nevada?

Tesla, Google, Apple, and others are moving employees here by the thousands. Amazon, Urban Outfitters, and B&N have distribution centers here. And there's almost no residential construction. What little there is, is all in Sparks. The surrounding towns and cities like Fernley, Fallon, Carson and Virginia Cities, etc are just seeing housing costs climb because they can. All the landlords here bought in the 2000s prior to the crash and they've been losing money or breaking even waiting for the market to recover. Now it's $$$ time.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Godholio posted:

All the landlords here bought in the 2000s prior to the crash and they've been losing money or breaking even waiting for the market to recover. Now it's $$$ time.

tbh i kinda feel like they earned it at this point

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, well wages haven't exactly kept up with the 20% increase in housing costs in the 20 months I've been here. Or the 25% increase in gasoline, or the doubling of water rates.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Godholio posted:

Yeah, well wages haven't exactly kept up with the 20% increase in housing costs in the 20 months I've been here. Or the 25% increase in gasoline, or the doubling of water rates.

Buddy in the Bay Area just sold his house based on speculation that the market is going to "correct" due to all the tech moving to Utah. Not the only reason he sold, but he made out ok even if the market doesn't correct as fast. Sold his house for 200k more than he bought for 3 years ago.

I was thinking about moving North of Denver, but I think I'm gonna stay another year in this house at least. Real estate prices are nuts in the areas I've been looking, but also, I kind of want to see if my asparagus and berry patches will give me a good crop next year.

Might try to resurrect the garden thread tomorrow with pics of my plot :wiggle:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bengy81 posted:

do it i fuckin dare you

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bengy81 posted:

Buddy in the Bay Area just sold his house based on speculation that the market is going to "correct" due to all the tech moving to Utah. Not the only reason he sold, but he made out ok even if the market doesn't correct as fast. Sold his house for 200k more than he bought for 3 years ago.

I was thinking about moving North of Denver, but I think I'm gonna stay another year in this house at least. Real estate prices are nuts in the areas I've been looking, but also, I kind of want to see if my asparagus and berry patches will give me a good crop next year.

Your friend is probably smart. A lot of the new jobs here are coming from the Bay area because these companies realized it's like a 3 hour drive and there are virtually no taxes.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

LingcodKilla posted:

Time to mow my poo poo.
Itchy itchy.

My mortgage is only $900. I rent out a studio over the garage for $650.
Thought if I had put down 20% instead of 80% I'd have a much bigger payment.

Thanks Bay Area, CA housing market for making my WA dream come true!

Jesus, I pay slightly more than your mortgage for a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath apartment in Tacoma's North End. I do love my apartment though, was renovated right before I moved in and it's $300 cheaper than smaller, less well maintained apartments in the same area for some reason.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If the bay area guide through a correction I will be pleased and jumping on a piece of property.

Unrelated I'm up to episode 10 on HoC. It's still dumb and nothing is happening. This awful Jane character was shoehorned in since there needs to be a"villain" and Romero doesn't fit that role well enough. What was the best show on Netflix is some of the dumbest, worst written poo poo I've watched in recent memory.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Went out 4wding, found some billion dollar views

nz owns

shame about the power poles but even so it's a hella awesome view

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
American Gods is pretty good

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Two Finger posted:

Went out 4wding, found some billion dollar views

nz owns

shame about the power poles but even so it's a hella awesome view

Speaking about "shame about the power poles", behold nature's pristine beauty in Northern Arizona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Despite the fact that going to Yakima always sucks, it can be pretty scenic

Fortunately the Army loves sending me out there so I'll be out there again in less than a week....

• Locked thread