Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

The new Yorha Assault Uniforms have glowing dot eyes spaced far apart, just like the machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

as long as they're not glowing red we're fine

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Renoistic posted:

"Full" fascist. Gothic Lolita dresses and high heels didn't exactly scream fascist oppressors at first, no. Seeing everyone in battle gear definitely ups the ante, even if "Sexy Kerberos" Halloween costume is an apt description.

The new uniforms are kinda weird. They're too sexy to be proper combat uniforms, but also too armored to be a sexy costume.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anything is sexy if you're depraved enough.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wonder how Devola en Popola are going to factor into this. Are they going to pick the side of the machines?

And don't forget Emil. :ohdear: He's not a machine lifeform, but he isn't an android and if they're going full fascist he might get on their shitlist.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Anything is sexy if you're depraved enough.

Can confirm. Also this will probably go on my headstone.

mazloum
Mar 29, 2016
I think the coming few hours of Nier Automata until the end are my favorite gaming experience of 2017.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I kinda feel the armor isn’t actually primarily protective. IIRC during a questionnaire Taro said something along the lines that during emergencies multiples of the same type of unit can be deployed so maybe it’s there just to conceal everyone’s identities so two of the same type of android won’t meet and have an identity crisis.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I've finally caught up on the LP. Now to watch this poo poo go down in real time.

Well, as it gets posted, anyway.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Shei-kun posted:

I've finally caught up on the LP. Now to watch this poo poo go down in real time.

Well, as it gets posted, anyway.

In post process

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nina posted:

I kinda feel the armor isn’t actually primarily protective.

Androids are inherently armour-plated. Stuff worn over the top is mostly decorative.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

apocalypticCritic posted:

It's like a 1-type RAID array - he copies his whole consciousness over every single machine's internal storage, and then links them all together and outputs from a single source. That way, even if one copy has parts that are corrupted, other parts probably won't be corrupted in the same place, and their non-corrupt copies can simply be accessed instead. The massive redundancy protects him by making it unlikely that every part of his consciousness will be corrupted at the same time.

Also the copying over to the machine network happened before he started getting corrupted by contact with Eve, I believe. It's not quite clear, but it is kind of implied.

If you want to look at it logically (which you probably shouldn't, given this is :yokotaro:), going into the Eve fight they knew Eve was bombarding the whole network with data, which is what made all the machines freak out. It's possible, as 9S dove deeper into Eve and started corrupting himself, that bits of his personality code sheared off in the process and were carried along with those messages. That's why his consciousness was in so many copies across so many machines - they were all being blasted with random data by Eve during the fight and 9S was just stuck inside those bits.

NINEZZZ posted:

It looks like... I left my personal data in the machine side of things. Next thing I knew, my sense of self was regenerated over the surrounding network. Having multiple selves fused together like this...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also keep in mind Darth Taro's happy ending comment was postfixed by "well I think it's happy anyway"

:stonklol:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Darth TNT posted:

I wonder how Devola en Popola are going to factor into this. Are they going to pick the side of the machines?

And don't forget Emil. :ohdear: He's not a machine lifeform, but he isn't an android and if they're going full fascist he might get on their shitlist.

Emil is the mankind they're fighting for the glory of.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ZiegeDame posted:

Emil is the mankind they're fighting for the glory of.

The androids and machines are fighting to see who gets to be Emil's best friend.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

The androids and machines are fighting to see who gets to be Emil's best friend.

A truly meaningless war; Emil is everyone's best friend.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Chokes McGee posted:

Also keep in mind Darth Taro's happy ending comment was postfixed by "well I think it's happy anyway"

https://twitter.com/TheDarkId/status/743167253156245504

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Yeah, that's what gets me concerned. What Yoko Taro thinks of as a "happy ending" is almost guaranteed to not be the same as what the average person thinks a happy ending means.

Unless the happy ending involves A2 crossing time and space to shank Nowe over and over again, then I might reconsider my position on that comment.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
9S and 2B eventually figure out how to make android babies the same way the machines did and they make a tiny girl android they name A2 but YoRHa turns on them and hunts them down so they send A2 into the past but she accidentally opens a portal trying to get back to her parents in the future that lets Drakengard ending E into the world and causes this whole mess in the first place.

Is that :yokotaro: enough?

Did I accidentally guess the real ending? Should I spoiler this just in case?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, that's what gets me concerned. What Yoko Taro thinks of as a "happy ending" is almost guaranteed to not be the same as what the average person thinks a happy ending means.

Unless the happy ending involves A2 crossing time and space to shank Nowe over and over again, then I might reconsider my position on that comment.

Look, there's 26 endings. A was reasonably happy, the fishing one was fine, that's plenty! Not his fault that some people don't know when to quit.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The first possible ending explicitly led to a utopia, how much happier could you get?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

chiasaur11 posted:

Look, there's 26 endings. A was reasonably happy, the fishing one was fine, that's plenty! Not his fault that some people don't know when to quit.

I think you're underestimating just how good that mackerel tasted.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

AradoBalanga posted:

Such meager faith.

??source??

Wonderslug fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 9, 2018

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It is fun to think about what an "ending" is.

If you just think about route A and B, they're happy. Even if you know awful, depressing, horrifying stuff happens directly afterwards in route C, you could just leave it at those and you get a happy ending. Hell, you could walk away from the game at any ending that makes you smile,and call it a video game you happily finished.

Same thing happened in Nier, route A left us all ignorant and happy.

But Darth Master Yoko Taro knows better. No matter how many endings he gives, no one can ever stop.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think that was in large part the point of Drakengard. Sure, the first ending wasn't happy, but it wasn't so bad. All you had to do was put down the controller, stop killing, and everything was fine. But if you couldn't...well, we all know how that went.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wasn't Ending A of Drakengard the one that led to Nowe? How's THAT fine?!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I thought Nowe was ending B, somehow?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Ending A.

Ending B leads to more interesting things than Nowe. But we don't get to see it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

bman in 2288 posted:

Ending A.

Ending B leads to more interesting things than Nowe. But we don't get to see it.

I thought Ending B was "Hellacious Shriek" which had scorpion angels flying about. And...either C or D was Dragon-apocalypse. There was one other I can't remember, then finally you got "Thank you for playing the game!" after ending E.

That is...there were five endings to Drakengard, right?

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
C was the Dragon Apocalypse, D was Annoying Little Child drops a gigantic Hershey's Kiss on a good chunk of the world, trapping everyone in eternal torment as time is locked away. Which is marginally better than letting the Grotesquerie Queen run around, I guess?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Verant posted:

C was the Dragon Apocalypse, D was Annoying Little Child drops a gigantic Hershey's Kiss on a good chunk of the world, trapping everyone in eternal torment as time is locked away. Which is marginally better than letting the Grotesquerie Queen run around, I guess?

Ah, right, Not-Spain got frozen in time, at least letting a few more generations of people live happy-ish lives before that poo poo got out. Because you know a pan-dimensional...whatever is gonna break out eventually. Even killing her in Ending E didn't keep her from loving up an entire other Earth.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I wonder if Yoko Taros next project will have numbered endings too.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

9S and 2B eventually figure out how to make android babies the same way the machines did and they make a tiny girl android they name A2 but YoRHa turns on them and hunts them down so they send A2 into the past but she accidentally opens a portal trying to get back to her parents in the future that lets Drakengard ending E into the world and causes this whole mess in the first place.

Sooo... A2 is Cable?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Gotta get back, back to the past.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

ManSedan posted:

I wonder if Yoko Taros next project will have numbered endings too.

I’d love to see him collaborate with From Software. Dark Souls engine/aesthetics with Yoko storytelling would either be the best game of all time or an incredible mess.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Know Such Peace posted:

I’d love to see him collaborate with From Software. Dark Souls engine/aesthetics with Yoko storytelling would either be the best game of all time or an incredible mess.

I mean if you consider how the beginnings of that series lie in a game that was deemed a trainwreck from the start by the publisher, bombed hard initially and then produced a huge international fanbase and further games with phenomenal sales the match might be more apt than you'd think.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

I dunno, I think Yoko Taro's lost his touch. 2 out of 3 endings completed already and nothing significantly bad has happened yet? Nothing super WTF has happened since the robo orgy making a robo womb that spat out a naked Sephiroth who in turn spat out a second naked Sephiroth, way back at the beginning of Route A? I mean, what the hell.

We're at 2 out of 3 routes. Not endings. This is an important distinction. Be patient. The babypocalypse is only a matter of time.

Renoistic posted:

"Full" fascist. Gothic Lolita dresses and high heels didn't exactly scream fascist oppressors at first, no. Seeing everyone in battle gear definitely ups the ante, even if "Sexy Kerberos" Halloween costume is an apt description.

I don't see them as fascist, even in the battle garb. Cultish, absolutely, what with the salutes and especially with the blindfold metaphor, but they have been pretty good about recognizing that the enemy is the network, not merely machines, which is a distinction I don't think fascists would make.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

I suppose you could consider that a happy ending.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CI: Like a Kid

Music: The Tower (Quiet)

Unfortunately, the networks all passed on “The Adventures Nines and Bullwinkle” pilot and 9S was forced to come slinking back to his YoRHa duties. He’s lucky everyone is busy with the invasion before the Commander took notice and sent out an E-series unit to gank him for desertion.

Getting back on track, we’ve got six hotspots scattered across the City Ruins region 9S needs to sort out ahead of 2B and the other combat oriented androids begin their all-out assault on the ruins of Tokyo for the glory of mankind.

The closest objective is atop the deceased Engels we hung out with a few times way back in Route A ages ago. All of our targeted communication jamming machines are located in high up locations, so to the top of Engels’ corpse we go. It’s worth noting there are eerily few machines roaming the City Ruins during this whole mission. And by “few” I mean outside of a couple pockets of docile Stubbies zoning out, the entire city is abandoned save for our objectives.

At the top of the dead Engels, we find a lone Enhanced Model Stubby with his back turned to the ladder. Key tactical blunder on its part.

9S has no trouble immediately hacking and disabling the machine. Remember, 21O said to hack them, not destroy them. As soon as we take out the first priority target machine, 9S’s Operator phones up to confirm the objective completion.

You’re totally treating me like a kid.
Now move onto the next one!
Fiiiine.

9S, you can’t get pissy about being treated like a child and then immediately turn around and do the huffy “fiiiiine” thing for the 53rd time. Between this and the Nines thing, I’m surprised more people haven’t treated you like a dipshit kid.

Anyway, the next target is atop a building a few hundred yards north of the broken overpass leading toward the Abandoned Factory. Up here we find an Enhanced Small Biped machine. This one has a tendency to be looking in the direction of one of the only easy ways onto the building from where we’re heading and going hostile on 9S the second it sees him. Which can result in...

Whoops!
<opens communications> Unit 9S, your orders are to hack in to enemy units, not destroy them. Destroyed units will simply be replaced. Attacking is pointless. Try to sneak up behind your foes, keep out of sight, and then... Booooom! Hack ‘em up good.
Um, okay...
<disconnects>
...”Boom?” Is she serious?

Deadly serious, 9S. Stop frikkin’ this up! Your Operator mom is trying to be supportive and you’re disappointing her severely right now, young man. Stop destroying the objectives. They just respawn as soon as you walk more than 20 feet away.

You have to hack ‘em! Hack-hack-hack! They’ll substitute another enemy soon, so try again.
Got it.

Despite what 21O implied about the need to sneak up on enemies like when we’re Subjugating/Remote Controlling ‘em, that’s not actually the case here. We only need to defeat the targeted enemies via hacking. It doesn’t matter if they’ve aggroed or not. Just as long as they are hacked and not depleted of their HP.

Almost there.

No you’re not, 9S. You’re only one-fourth of the way there. By any metric, that is nowhere near “almost” mission completion, dummy. Anyway, our next objective is an Enhanced Medium Biped occupying Father Servo’s former rooftop dojo. RIP.

This machine is a massive dumbass and almost always immediately stomps towards 9S only to fall off the roof and not remotely possess the locomotive skills to climb up to where 9S is actually standing. As such, it’s easily dealt with while it flails futilely in impotent rage at the dreaded Hackerman.

Every Scanner in the force is involved in this operation. So let’s try not to fall behind.
Yeah, yeah. No falling behind. Got it.
9S?
What is it?
Make sure to do whatever is necessary to avoid combat.
And how will I provide support to the squad if I don’t fight?
Scanner units such as yourself are not designed for battle.
Aw, are you worried about me?
No. I’m merely pointing out that you would be a liability on the battlefield. <disconnects>
Wow, that’s... harsh.

Poor 9S. Even dunked on by his Operator Mom the one time she’s kind of being nice. Anyway, that’s it for the targets on the western half of the City Ruins. We now focus our attention to the eastern half of the region. Our next objective is over on the ruined overpass next to the entrance to the Amusement Park zone.

This time our target is one of those screaming suicide bomber machines. 9S needs to hack this clown quickly, lest that “boom” comment from 21O comes back to haunt him. As soon as the Serious Sambot is disabled, we get a call from not 21O but another one of the Scanner models out performing an invasion preemptive operation too.

9S here. Go ahead.
I’m just about wrapped up here. How about you?
Um, just one left, I think.
Roger. Be sure to head back to the Bunker when you’re done so you can sync your data.
Oh, right. I forgot about that.
Until your combat data is uploaded, none of the Scanner models can run updates.
Okay. I’ll take care of it as soon as I’m done here.
Appreciated. <disconnects>

New Music: The Tower (Vocal)

9S, you’ve got two more objectives to complete. Why did you lie to that other Scanner about your lacking performance? And that’s really irresponsible not to be syncing you or 2B’s data up since you poked around on the YoRHa server a few chapters back. Between that and all the trashed flight units, your performance review for this quarter is going to be abysmal.

In other news, our next targeted machine is an Enhanced Medium Flyer found patrolling the derelict utility tower near the canyon. It’s easily taken care of...

Proposal: Unit 9S should rendezvous with unit 2B before the combat situation worsens.
Sounds like a plan. Lemme just mark the point on the map. Aaaand... there.

Our objective has indeed updated to a new location and the final hotspot for clearing out the air defense machines has been lifted. Granted, we were only tasked with reducing their efficiency, not eliminating it. However, that 23% operational level is gonna bug me. So let’s finish the original mission first.

The final air defense system machine is located across the canyon near the shopping mall ruins. There just so happens to be a small pack of neutral Stubbies sunbathing on this side of the bridge.

9S can commandeer one of their bodies to trot across the rickety bridge and stealthily hack the final air defense target, a normal rear end Goliath Biped guarding the entrance to the mall. We get a special message from 21O for having been diligent with our job.

I-I always do...
That really was brilliant work, which means I’ve got a special surprise for you. I’ll leave it in my room so you can pick it up later. <disconnects>
...A surprise?

See 9S? Aren’t you glad you didn’t half-rear end your job? Now you get a special bonus from 21O. Hopefully it won’t be a stack of after action paperwork involving the destruction of a perfectly good Flight Unit by ramming it into an already heavily damaged enemy the other day...

Our final goal for this 9S segment is to link up with 2B at the designated marker, which is just atop the wrecked path leading toward the Abandoned Factory.

Tune in next time as the final battle between YoRHa and the machines begins. A decisive victory for the glory of mankind awaits! Right...?

Video: Episode 101 Highlight Reel
(Worth watching.)

Operator Concept Art – Those hats are too tiny. 6O would drop hers constantly squealing about pictures of baby giraffes and bunnies.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, I didn't know 21O gave you grief for killing the machines instead of hacking them.

• Locked thread