Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Danith posted:

Can someone explain the proton versions? Shouldn't the newer versions have fixes that were in previous versions, yet there's lots of things where you need to select an older version for an installer or game to run. I don't get it
You know how some games only work in older versions of Windows? Some games only work with older versions of Proton.

Edit: Serious answer: So I don't know for certain, but if I had to guess, older versions of Proton emulate the Win32 APIs at a lower level and tend to rely on redistributable DLLs (DirectX, etc.) to implement higher-level APIs. Never versions of Proton probably targets those higher-level APIs directly, as it gives Proton performance advantages, greater compatibility across different hardware, etc. However you could run into a situation where a game (which itself is perhaps buggy) works correctly when using the redistributable DLLs but not the Proton-native versions of certain APIs, and so dropping to an earlier version of Proton fixes that. Ideally all games would run with the latest Proton but there's a good ways to go on that.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I'm still unable to get MAME to work other than running the windows build in proton, because the options are "build yourself" which requires steamos-readonly disable and will thus break on the next update, or a flatpak build which claims to use .mame in the homedir to store roms but doesn't.

Emudeck's mame is the libretro fork which is a piece of poo poo so that's out.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

xarph posted:

I'm still unable to get MAME to work other than running the windows build in proton, because the options are "build yourself" which requires steamos-readonly disable and will thus break on the next update, or a flatpak build which claims to use .mame in the homedir to store roms but doesn't.

Emudeck's mame is the libretro fork which is a piece of poo poo so that's out.
Haven't used that flatpak but is it a permissions thing? Check it out in flatseal maybe

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anyone put GW2 on the deck? anything to note?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Haven't used that flatpak but is it a permissions thing? Check it out in flatseal maybe

Permissions are all fine it's just that the config file in the flatpak wants everything inside /app/something and I can't wrap my head around where that is on the actual filesystem. I suspect it's conflicting with something emudeck installs since .mame has paths pointing to the emudeck tree on the sd card.

Just a big mess; I'm fine with the windows build.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Just got my updated MagGlass matte protector and while I never had the original to compare, this one is in fact a good fit for the Deck screen and now I have a matte screen 256GB. Would recommend.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

jokes posted:

I watched this video the other day in anticipation of getting my Deck and putting PC games that I own but never played on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k8ruG4upJI

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

canyonero posted:

I watched this video the other day in anticipation of getting my Deck and putting PC games that I own but never played on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k8ruG4upJI

This video is absolutely fantastic.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tamba posted:

Which means all the graphs and estimates were kind of useless :shrug:

steam dreck dot txt

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

canyonero posted:

Nice.

Gotta get a bigger SD card, 500GB ain't enough

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tamba posted:

Looks like the other regions finally caught up, so Valve stopped slowing down the EU queues.

https://getmydeck.ingenhaag.dev/s/EU/512/1628335780

Which means all the graphs and estimates were kind of useless :shrug:

they're good as a guess. I wouldn't have expected the queue to jump 60% in one go, though.

gives me a little faith my order email will be in the next month or two at this rate though. ran some forecasting in excel and maybe hit 30% by september 1st at this rate. Will be interesting to see if the forecasting was accurate.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

jokes posted:

I basically did what that video said to do earlier and it works fine. The launcher is really laggy for some reason, but in the game it works fine. I just had the game auto-detect graphics settings and it puts it in a reasonable place, you can tweak it however you like.

It runs fairly well but it's a bit unwieldy to control from my initial playing. I used the trackpad for the mouse and left/right trigger for right/left click. The difficulty is getting a good binding for the skills and profession skills; that's like 10 for the weapon/utilities and 6 (or more idk) for the profession stuff. I played around with doing a radial menu thing but I didn't really like it so I ended up doing combinations of shoulder/trigger + xyab for the skills. Then I kept xyab with jump/dodge/weapon swap/use when no shoulder/trigger was active.

There's lots of other ways people have done it so play around with the different styles and see what works best.

There's an "action camera" mode which is like always having the right mouse button clicked, so it's like an fps mode where you're always rotating around with the joysticks. You get a little reticle and right click selects a target and left click activates your skill 1. It's a bit weird with autoattacking though, I'm not sure if using left click in the action camera mode actually starts the autoattack chain or not.

I definitely felt clumsy playing it on the deck, which maybe would clear up after using it a while, not sure.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Crossposting this from the Monster Hunter thread, but here's a heavily modded MH Rise on the Deck.

Blurry phone pic of Deck.

Screenshot taken on the Deck.

Pretty cool to have this just work when I got around to it.

In terms of file transfer and mucking around in the terminal on the Deck, enabling its ssh server makes both very easy if you're comfortable with linux. Being able to ssh in gives you full access to all of the underlying Linux. It also enables sftp which gives you full integration with any number of file managers. Most of the modding above was done with drag and drop in a file manager that had a pane open on my local Linux box and on the Deck. That I'm already running the game modded on a Linux desktop made this easier, of course.

E: This is a nice Deck specific write up on enabling sshd: https://shendrick.net/Gaming/2022/05/30/sshonsteamdeck.html

v1ld fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 16, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Protocol7 posted:

Just got my updated MagGlass matte protector and while I never had the original to compare, this one is in fact a good fit for the Deck screen and now I have a matte screen 256GB. Would recommend.

I've heard they make it a bit more blurry. What are your thoughts? I have a really reflective protector on my switch and wouldn't mind something...less but don't know that I like that trade off on a small screen.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Yakuza Like A Dragon works perfect on Deck. Having the game available in sleep mode means I can squeeze in a couple turns' worth of the management game or a sidequest whenever.

Has anyone had a chance to try Dungeon Encounters? Steam says it's unsupported but protondb has it listed as working perfectly.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aww yissss

So ultimately the solution was to install it on my pc and then warpinator it over. Added the exe as a non steam game and ran it on Proton 7 and it works. The deck seems to hate it the fan is the loudest I've heard it, but otherwise it runs well.
Any suggestions for how to setup controls? Haven't played this in decades can't remember what hotkeys it uses. I have the track pads as mice right now that's about it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol I would just play D2 resurrected it has controller support built in

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
JSAUX New Model Steam Deck Dock (first 4K 60Hz dock) review from RetroGameCorps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76mOPkK7zTg

MarcusSA posted:

lol I would just play D2 resurrected it has controller support built in
Yes but then you would have to buy D2 resurrected and give Actiblizz money

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah pretty much. Resurrected is like $60 whereas this is a game I already own. That's a bit steep to make the controls slightly easier

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Suburban Dad posted:

I've heard they make it a bit more blurry. What are your thoughts? I have a really reflective protector on my switch and wouldn't mind something...less but don't know that I like that trade off on a small screen.

It does. I don’t know that I really notice in actual gameplay now that I’ve played an hour or two of games with the protector installed, but text or w/e is certainly a little fuzzier.

Also weird note to add but I like how it feels to use as a touchscreen versus the normal glossy display.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Aww yissss

So ultimately the solution was to install it on my pc and then warpinator it over. Added the exe as a non steam game and ran it on Proton 7 and it works. The deck seems to hate it the fan is the loudest I've heard it, but otherwise it runs well.
Any suggestions for how to setup controls? Haven't played this in decades can't remember what hotkeys it uses. I have the track pads as mice right now that's about it
For a lot of these kinds of games I like trackpad mouse regions, although the size of it is gonna depend heavily on what kind of character you want to play. Smaller is better imo for moving your character and being able to target enemies easily and you can get away with a small one for a melee class, but wizards or amazons or whatever are gonna want it to be quite a bit bigger.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't kept track of the PC version but D2 Resurrected goes on sale all the time on console. As low as $20.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't kept track of the PC version but D2 Resurrected goes on sale all the time on console. As low as $20.

Yeah the PC version is $40 and I don’t think it’s really gone on sale.

Imo the controller support is fantastic for it and worth it to me.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah the PC version is $40 and I don’t think it’s really gone on sale.

Imo the controller support is fantastic for it and worth it to me.

I've seen it go 25% off at least twice, and it's worth $30 just for automatically picking up gold.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

New Beta Update: Offline Fixes

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/news

quote:

Steam Deck Client Beta Update: Offline Mode fixes
Note: This update is for the Steam Deck Beta and Preview channels, and includes new features that are still being tested. You can opt into this in Settings > System > Steam Update Channel.

- Fixed issue where rebooting while in Steam Offline Mode would cause games to fail to launch
- Fixed the Cloud Sync error notification popping up when offline
- Disabled Steam Offline Mode button when not connected to the internet, as trying to do this currently gets Steam Deck into a bad state.
+ This change disables this button but does not in any way affect your ability to play games without an active Internet connection.

We're continuing to look at making the user experience of playing games without an Internet connection a better, more intuitive experience.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is there anyway to connect the Deck to your PC via Bluetooth and use the Deck as a controller? I know I can Stream/Steamlink my gameplay from my main rig to my Deck but I don't want to have to deal with any sort of latency, I'd rather just use the Deck as a giant rear end controller, like a Wii U but not poo poo.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Man the Deck actually has me watching Steam sales again, haven't done this in years. Quakecon sales look good.

Can't even pick between Doom Eternal, Dead Cells, Evil Within 2, or Biomutant.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Doom 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I maintain the biggest problem with the Deck is the keyboard, both the interface and the implementation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah it sucks. Really my only gripe with the Deck. I rarely need to use it though.

The touch screen seems responsive enough so I am crossing my fingers it can be improved with updates.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Man the Deck actually has me watching Steam sales again, haven't done this in years. Quakecon sales look good.

Can't even pick between Doom Eternal, Dead Cells, Evil Within 2, or Biomutant.

Doom eternal

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Does Doom Eternal run well on Deck, I remember seeing early videos / reports that there were some issues with the engine (similar to DEATHLOOP) that gave battery and graphics issues.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

sigher posted:

Is there anyway to connect the Deck to your PC via Bluetooth and use the Deck as a controller? I know I can Stream/Steamlink my gameplay from my main rig to my Deck but I don't want to have to deal with any sort of latency, I'd rather just use the Deck as a giant rear end controller, like a Wii U but not poo poo.

It's Wifi but according to this video Deskreen is otherwise exactly what you're looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW0FvU4IB-w

There's probably a way to do it via Bluetooth but this is the first result I found.

Edit: OH poo poo you meant using it as a controller not a screen mirroring thing, yea that should be totally possible. I'll keep looking for you.

Edit 2:

quote:

Can Steam Deck be used as a PC controller?
Yes, you can connect your Steam Deck to a PC via Remote Play and use it as a controller

Cowman fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 17, 2022

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Just got my deck, it was a pretty quick turnaround from confirming the order to getting it delivered. Right about a week before it showed up here.

What are the best resources for getting emulators up and running on this? Any recommendations on games to pick up, or things to set up right out of the gate?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.emudeck.com/

For emulation

As for anything else that’s up to you lol

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
This guy does weekly Steam Deck news videos which are decent. He did a pretty comprehensive emulation video 2 months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvzSHxccmIg

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone else’s steam deck randomly download a couple megabyte update for every single game pretty regularly? Is that a cloud syncing thing maybe?

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone else’s steam deck randomly download a couple megabyte update for every single game pretty regularly? Is that a cloud syncing thing maybe?

I think for a few games it's shaders updates too? There are a lot of them but it's better than a lot of games where you launch them and they take 3 minutes to update shaders for some reason.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

It's downloading precompiled shaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It's shader cache updates. Compiled shaders are crowd sourced from all Decks in the field to avoid stuttering when a game would otherwise have to compile a shader on demand. It's why Elden Ring played surprisingly smoothly on the Deck at launch when it was a stuttery mess on PC otherwise.