Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Death Bot posted:

I "griefed" a League of Legends game yesterday by playing not too well instead of okay like I usually do. My team was yelling at me for being a terrible feeder just because I was having an off day :ohdear:

DOTA-likes are the easiest games to grief in existence. Even the tired old "help how i play game" act sends both teams into a frothing rage of insults and death threats. I've never seen more juvenile and spergy communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Myself and three other goons played a couple games of copy the pubbie in LoL yesterday.

This is where you queue with 4, then you take the same summoner spells as the random 5th and buy all the same items he does. We took it one step further by copying everything he said in chat as well.

He asked if we were bots.

Eventually the other team started doing it too.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
I can't play LoL anymore because people get so drat mad if you're not playing perfectly, or even if your team is losing but it's not directly your fault. When people get angry I just start buying up terrible items and talking about how different this is from WoW in the chat. At least I did, until I stopped playing because it gets tiring doing that every single time someone flips out.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Cojawfee posted:

My friend wanted me to play LoL so I did. He then complained because I was just playing the game and feeding the other team or whatever. I don't really care about whatever the game is supposed to be about, I just wanted to run up and attack things. The game can't be that great if I can piss people off just by playing it.

Oddly enough, the game is that great for exactly that reason.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I have a friend who is super into one of those games and even he can barely stand to play it sometimes. He says half the time he just plays it with the sound off when he doesn't feel like being super serious.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

My friend wanted me to play LoL so I did. He then complained because I was just playing the game and feeding the other team or whatever. I don't really care about whatever the game is supposed to be about, I just wanted to run up and attack things. The game can't be that great if I can piss people off just by playing it.

In any dotalike game, you can piss people off just by playing. If you're playing poorly, they'll rage that you're feeding. If you're playing well, they'll rage that you have more kills.

LoL actually has one of the better communities. Scary, no?

The key to enjoying it is to play the game for what it is and give no shits about the other players.

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch

ToxicFrog posted:

In any dotalike game, you can piss people off just by playing. If you're playing poorly, they'll rage that you're feeding. If you're playing well, they'll rage that you have more kills.

LoL actually has one of the better communities. Scary, no?

The key to enjoying it is to play the game for what it is and give no shits about the other players.

Last night I was 7-2-4 about 15 min into a game of dota as nightstalker. We had 8 deaths as a team and like 13 kills. I was a part of almost every kill and we lost eventually because of one terrible sven. That didn't stop a lucifer top that lost his lane hard from bitching that I had 1/4th the teams deaths in a 5 player game but didn't care at all that I had a part of 85% of the kills.

It was a long game and he seriously raged for about 40 minutes at every kill I got as well as every death. You'd think playing a support with 0-0-20 score or something would avoid you from getting yelled at since teammates would like you and you never stole a kill, but I would have games like that as janna in lol and they still flipped a poo poo.

Simply playing is trolling to about half the player base. I'd say lol has the worst playerbase from my experience. Dota was actually really good until I reset my elo to pubstomp and now it's terrible again.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

nightwisher posted:

I swear the Burnout community that still exists is filled with complete morons.
That's when I got the idea to download a fake web-cam program
Oh my goodness, I completely forgot about that feature. It was the BEST. I didn't have a webcam but I remember one guy, who I kept smashing into with my van, and every time his picture came up he was sitting further forward on his couch and looking more angry, till I think I just saw him yelling at the TV. It was so awesome. I really should play that game again.

Death Bot posted:

I "griefed" a League of Legends game yesterday by playing not too well instead of okay like I usually do. My team was yelling at me for being a terrible feeder just because I was having an off day :ohdear:
LoL just has a pretty lovely community. About 10% of the people are normal, polite, and well mannered, then 20% are just completely silent/foreign, and the other 70% are just smug self centered narcissists. I've carried my team to victory as they all had less kills than deaths, and I had something like a 5/1/2 kill/death/assist ratio, and they would all yell at me for feeding or being bad or whatever.

I think I've said it before, but the only way to win at LoL is to not give a poo poo about anyone unless they are nice. I've laughed in my jerk teammates faces as they are killed, before I go in and mop up the remaining enemies just because I didn't want to save their lives. Unless you literally do not talk and are really good at the game always, you will be reported by someone to the admins for some dumb reason. You just have to not care.

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah pretty much this. It's easier for me because I'm fairly good, so I can usually just say "HEY BUDDY IT LOOKS LIKE MY SCORE IS BETTER WHATS UP WITH THAT?" and they will either shut up forever, ragequit (which I can then get them banned for :v:) or they'll just rage reeaaaally hard and I can chuckle to myself as I play the game.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 3, 2012

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Counter point to griefing always being funny.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8_BGHapYRk

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr_Amazing posted:

I have a friend who is super into one of those games and even he can barely stand to play it sometimes. He says half the time he just plays it with the sound off when he doesn't feel like being super serious.
I see this a lot. Many of my friends who supposedly like LoL and other DoTA-likes spend most of their playtime screaming at the monitor in rage.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

big duck equals goose posted:

*hears "Hello, youtube!"* *closes the gently caress out of that tab*

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Sabastin Wow. This is the worst grief i have saw u do. You griefed ONE BUILDING. Btw i went to the server and I griefed most of the buildings in spawn

ahahahha :psyduck:

If you need to put "Griefed biatch =]" in the description, .. I can't continue this sentence it's too funny

edit: oh, this is a script kiddie with a voice changer exe and DoS-tools

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006

That has to be satire.
He probably took more time removing blocks than it would take building 5 of those towers. :psyduck:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Mayheim posted:

That has to be satire.
He probably took more time removing blocks than it would take building 5 of those towers. :psyduck:

That being said he's a terrible LoL player too.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Mayheim posted:

That has to be satire.

and the fact that the server probably backs up every 10 minutes totally nulling all that griefing. That's one of the changes that I hate, back in alpha if you griefed it was permanent, and using the multitude of hacks meant that you could totally eradicate a whole map of buildings in less than 30 mins. Good times.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Kontradaz posted:

and the fact that the server probably backs up every 10 minutes totally nulling all that griefing. That's one of the changes that I hate, back in alpha if you griefed it was permanent, and using the multitude of hacks meant that you could totally eradicate a whole map of buildings in less than 30 mins. Good times.

Trying planting trees in place of what you destroyed. Trees have no player-placed blocks in them and are just a natural result of bonemeal use or time, so the blocks they make aren't logged. This means that if they try to roll it back, they'll have a big tree replacing a bunch of their blocks.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

Trying planting trees in place of what you destroyed. Trees have no player-placed blocks in them and are just a natural result of bonemeal use or time, so the blocks they make aren't logged. This means that if they try to roll it back, they'll have a big tree replacing a bunch of their blocks.

The guys who did that video and the Hellscape one are still my favorite griefers of the whole thread.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Here's some griefing I used to do from something other than online shooters and sandbox games, Guitar Hero: World Tour.
I used to play fake-guitar games at a city tournament level before the fad died and I moved on to singing, or worse, TF2. In higher level play for these music games there's a method called "pathing" which is just a name for the pattern, or path, of star power activations you do during a song. Since star power doubles your point earnings for a while and some parts of songs have more notes than others, you could get a higher score by figuring out the best activation path. Eventually an optimal path is found by somebody and this means they are mathematically impossible to beat at that song.
This can be griefed by learning the best path to a song everyone hates and selecting it, so that way not only do they have to listen to and play the song, they have to lose to you no matter what. For Guitar Hero: World Tour that song was Monsoon which in my opinion is kind of catchy but imagine the average xbox live Guitar Hero player's reaction to that song.
Back when I used to go play random ranked "pro-face-offs" online (both players have identical note scrolls and same difficulty) I would win a majority of matches just because I would earn 100%. On the occasion that I get matched against someone who is also 100% material, the only way either of us can win is by having better application of star power than the other player, and the best-2-out-of-three match usually goes with both of us picking the song we are best at and both winning our own song solidly and going on to the tiebreaker. When the gods smile on me and I got to choose the tiebreaker song I would pick Monsoon and sit back while they, never bothering to learn the path to such a lovely song, lose by a huge margin even if they get 100%, and then prepare for the torrent of hate messages about just how unfathomably gay I am for learning the path to such a gay song and how gay xbox live players like me are and did I mention gayness yet? Xbox live sure has a fixation with gayness.
I retired the grief after one night at a party achieving the holy grail of its permutations: Me and three friends were playing the game's online Band-vs-Band mode, where an entire group of four players (Singer, Drummer, Guitar, and Bass, a Full Band) is matched online with another Full Band and you guys play the same song together and try to beat the other band's score, just like 1v1 Pro Face-Off.
Because my friends were just casual players, or downright inexperienced, we tied the other group, who seemed to be a little competent and I told my bandmates that if we were granted the tiebreaker selection we should play Monsoon so we could be guaranteed a win. Sadly, the enemy band got the selection and we all braced to lose or play Overkill of more Dream Theater again. The enemy band picked Monsoon.
They chose Monsoon on their own volition.
They thought THEY were griefing US by choosing that song as the tiebreaker.
Needless to say the room erupted and we beat them squarely and won the match and it was the most fun a group of four people could have while having to listen to Monsoon.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I see this a lot. Many of my friends who supposedly like LoL and other DoTA-likes spend most of their playtime screaming at the monitor in rage.

My old roommate had friends like this, and they were all assholes. I eventually just stopped playing with them because I didn't like playing with people who would kill steal at every opportunity, take your minion/jungle kills and buffs, and then bitch all game. So now I just troll anyone who bitches as hard as I can.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Slappy Moose posted:

My old roommate had friends like this, and they were all assholes. I eventually just stopped playing with them because I didn't like playing with people who would kill steal at every opportunity, take your minion/jungle kills and buffs, and then bitch all game. So now I just troll anyone who bitches as hard as I can.

The best part is when you have one or two other people with you.

I usually queue with 2-3 friends (or goons) and if any one person decides to cry about KS or anything (it's a team game), all of us basically try our best to deny that one person from any kills, any buffs, any lasthit gold without making it seem obvious.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

PalmTreeFun posted:

I liked that story. In all honesty, the best way to troll people is to get good at a game. You ever see the rage mail people get over XBL/PSN from playing fighting games well?
It's really unfortunate that I'm too busy to re-make The Hotdog in Dark Souls.

Cojawfee posted:

Back when DotA first came around you could get kicked from a lobby just for downloading the map from the host as it meant you obviously hadn't played before. I was persistent and managed to get one of the maps, got randomly assigned a terrible hero then made my entire team quit just by playing.

It's great.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 4, 2012

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Biowarfare posted:

The best part is when you have one or two other people with you.

I usually queue with 2-3 friends (or goons) and if any one person decides to cry about KS or anything (it's a team game), all of us basically try our best to deny that one person from any kills, any buffs, any lasthit gold without making it seem obvious.

Hahaha, yes yes yes! It's even better when they are playing a squishy character, and you or a friend is the tank. Just never ever save them from anything. My friend, who used to main Shen, got mad at one guy for being a non-stop rear end in a top hat and whenever the guy would get into a fight, my friend would Shen teleport to me, no matter where I was or how much health I had. Then when the guy would get angry, we'd be like "Sorry man but Shen had to help me out of a jam, he doesn't have time to save every shmuck crying for help" even though I would be fighting like 2 minions maybe.

I'm pretty sure I've told this story, but I don't care. One of my best personal griefs was when some guy got mad at me for kill stealing, in a bot game. He was playing some slow, lovely champion like malphite or whatever. I was playing tryndamere. I had like 400 base movement speed with all my phantom dancers, and I was critting for around 700 damage or something. Whenever I saw him near an enemy, I'd run over and either wait for him to die before mopping up, or I'd just dash in at the last second and one hit the enemy bots. I think my favourite moment was when he tower dove 3 bots, died, and then I jumped in, got a triple kill, and left. Then I just typed, "Oh neat, a triple kill! I guess I'm pretty good at this tryndamere guy, lol" as I returned to base.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Two DotA classics include selling all your items, buying a lot of chickens (item couriers), filling them with branches and marching them through the middle lane.

Play some grandiose music while you do it.

The second one involves selling your gear, buying branches with all your money and leaving them in the spawn. Every item on the ground looks like a golden treasure box so the shining looks glorious when the fountain and whole shop area is covered in them.

About League griefing, I really like playing like an idiot and rear end better over trying to get good because playing League of Legends legit, unironically and as well as I can gives me a headache and makes me feel depressed. It's just such a tedious and horrible game.

It's also odd how the DotA community has a ridiculous prejudice against Russians for no discernible reason. I remember when the DotA games always had "NO RUS" tags and a country pinger who checked where you were from. If it stated "Russian Federation" you were either kicked or everyone spammed chat until you were kicked.

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Shumagorath posted:

Back when DotA first came around you could get kicked from a lobby just for downloading the map from the host as it meant you obviously hadn't played before.

"First came around".

If you had to download the map in the game lobby, at any time in DotA's history, you would be booted.

Even if the newest update had been released that very day (it was the dumbest thing).

Keisari posted:

It's also odd how the DotA community has a ridiculous prejudice against Russians for no discernible reason.

They don't speak English.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

ARTS and Warcrafts posted:

"First came around".

If you had to download the map in the game lobby, at any time in DotA's history, you would be booted.

Even if the newest update had been released that very day.

Yeah, this is still a thing iirc. The actual solution was to go download it from getdota, so that they could ensure that you had at least played dota once before, now you're a pro.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They don't speak English.
Was this the actual justification? Christ the DOTA community is terrible. Why was it specifically russians, anyways?

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Why is that terrible? It requires more communication than most team based games.

Russians really really like Dota.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Why is that terrible? It requires more communication than most team based games.

It's terrible because they're banning specifically Russians, when there are plenty of other countries that also don't commonly have English speakers, and they're banning them before they have a chance to even find out if said person speaks English or not. I can sorta understand the communication reason, but just banning someone based on what country they're in is dumb as all hell.

Stunt_enby fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 4, 2012

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Wait, seriously? Its ok to behave like the dota crowd do because somebody speaks a different language than you? Boy you must fit right in :rolleyes:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If I remember correctly, there were a lot of [NO BR] (Brazil) tags as well.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Pakled posted:

If I remember correctly, there were a lot of [NO BR] (Brazil) tags as well.

I have noticed this weird hatred of Brazilian players in a lot of online games, where does that come from?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

Wait, seriously? Its ok to behave like the dota crowd do because somebody speaks a different language than you? Boy you must fit right in :rolleyes:

ARTS (along with most of the DotA-playing community) is a dick, but DotA and similar games seriously require a lot of communication to do well, if you have a team member that can't or won't communicate then the game becomes very, very difficult to win.

Edit:

Contest Winner posted:

I have noticed this weird hatred of Brazilian players in a lot of online games, where does that come from?

Racism caused by the above.

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch

Contest Winner posted:

Some, it's nothing and borderline racism.

In some games I find they know a few english phrases and are aggressively dicks 'fuk u fat american george bush eat cheeseburger'.

Dota-likes tend to be the 2nd group where they bark out orders and say poo poo like that when you don't play perfectly.

Also, if it's a free2play game there tends to be a huge population.

European players seem to have similar complaints about russians.

oldgoatmon fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 4, 2012

SeriousCrimesUnit
Jul 12, 2010

If I ever see you in this city again, God help you.

Contest Winner posted:

I figured it comes from wanting to play with people that speak your own language. Lots of times in lobbies I see Jpn Only or USA only and go in anyway, start speaking the appropriate for a sentence or three, then switching mid-sentence. People really hate hearing or talking to someone who speaks a different language. Even in none co-op games like fighters.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Going 'jejejejeje' in any online game seems to cause an inordinate amount of fury.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that Brazilian players get better ping on US east servers. It's kind of annoying to play a game that requires lots of communication and teamwork when everyone is speaking a different language.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Stuntman posted:

It's terrible because they're banning specifically Russians, when there are plenty of other countries that also don't commonly have English speakers, and they're banning them before they have a chance to even find out if said person speaks English or not. I can sorta understand the communication reason, but just banning someone based on what country they're in is dumb as all hell.

Stuntman posted:

Was this the actual justification? Christ the DOTA community is terrible. Why was it specifically russians, anyways?

If I recall correctly Russians were thought to be bad players. Don't ask me why it's just what I think their reasoning behind the prejudice is. I'll actually have to ask my friends who actually have played DotA and the likes intensively what's up with the hating on Russians.

Sometimes the French get a some poo poo in online gaming (Especially DotAlikes) too. I'm not sure if there were any NO FR tags in DotA games though. Regardless it's nothing compared to what Russians get in almost any game.

Keisari fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 4, 2012

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Keisari posted:

Sometimes the French get a some poo poo in online gaming (Especially DotAlikes) too.

That's less to do with French players being bad, and more to do with French players being French, though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Contest Winner posted:

Brazilians are the new Diablo 2 Koreans except you can't drop them by spamming punctuation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Keisari posted:

If I recall correctly Russians were thought to be bad players. Don't ask me why it's just what I think their reasoning behind the prejudice is. I'll actually have to ask my friends who actually have played DotA and the likes intensively what's up with the hating on Russians.

Russians (and to a lesser extent, Brazilians) draw hate in online games because of a combination of racism (dirty foreigners don't speak English!) and because they tend to be overly aggressive on the whole. There are obviously exceptions to the rule, but by and large they mask a lack of skill and/or willingness to learn by rushing into the middle of the fray with no concern for their own safety or the odds of winning, or how it affects anyone else.

They give no fucks.

• Locked thread