Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

rotor posted:

i couldnt remember what dart was then i found out it compiled to javascript and i had a good laugh.

That's the compatibility compiler, there is native support with, of all the awful naming, Dartium.

What I don't quite understand is this quote which makes the entire project sound even more bizarre

quote:

* A faster Dart Virtual Machine that on some Octane tests outperforms even V8.
http://blog.chromium.org/2012/10/dart-m1-release.html

I had to revisit the launch notes from last year to see this:

quote:

Dart’s design goals are:

* Create a structured yet flexible language for web programming.

* Make Dart feel familiar and natural to programmers and thus easy to learn.

* Ensure that Dart delivers high performance on all modern web browsers and environments ranging from small handheld devices to server-side execution.

So I guess it's all about the optional static typing and being easy to debug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
really the best way to survive being in a startup is to know that you'll probably want to leave in 2 years as the company and culture changes rapidly.

(going by the 'startups are companies obsessed with high growth and potential return on investment' defintion)

there is no room for job growth, or moving up the chain, in most startups. it's easier to get a job in a new one than to actually change your role.

it's really hard to tell the good from the bad, because the awfulness rarely sets in before the first three months - still just happy to be out of the last place.

i guess any warning signs are things like 'crunch time', 'overtime work'. once they pull this out to meet investment deadlines, they'll do it each time. the emergency becomes the norm. there is other things too, like being in a monoculture full of penishavers.

options are normally futile and honestly you're gambling your future sanity on the business decisions of people you've come to loathe.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Moving from job to job has been working really well for me up to now. Great way to get raises, no time to get too bored, lots of people to meet.

The only tricky thing is figuring out when I'll peak in money or fun jobs and eventually leave the best I can find to get to worse jobs.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

MononcQc posted:

The fun thing in large soulless corporations is that you can usually work super slow and keep a shitload of time for personal stuff during work hours. I worked through a large part of SICP during my work time at my first job in a large place.

The downside is that you'll never see yourself 'bloom' in a place like this and you'll have to do poo poo in your free time to feel good about programming. It does let you see your day job as a day job, and it makes it easier to separate your hobby from your workplace. I ended up leaving because I got bored, though.

the best part about working for a big company is not having to program when I go home

programming is terrible and i don't think i could take more than 40 hours a week of it

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

salted hash browns posted:

won't listen to developers raise issues about the product? I'm genuinely curious because I work at a big company but have been thinking about moving over to a startup and would like all the help I can in how to spot the good/bad ones

really I dunno, i seem to have only picked bad ones, but slightly less bad than the ones I was at before.

people who are agile normally mean 'we change our mind every day and you must follow'. people who pair 100% of the time mean 'we use peer pressure to motivate you to solve problems'.

you can tell other bad employers because that ask brainteasers in interviews 'we like asking you to do stupid things for our entertainment'. or not having customers, or blah blah blah.

really the only good position in a startup, is the founder. everyone else gets hosed in the long term.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Jerry SanDisky posted:

the best part about working for a big company is not having to program when I go home

programming is terrible and i don't think i could take more than 40 hours a week of it
programming on poo poo I like for fun is usually nice enough for me not to get mad at things. when you get users and responsibilities tied to your code base, then it becomes more annoying. Working on pet projects in my free time is a great way to spend time experimenting on stuff without any pressure, aka the best programming possible.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier of the Neil Bush Torch

tef posted:

i'm saying that founders are universally terrible.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MrMoo posted:

That's the compatibility compiler, there is native support with, of all the awful naming, Dartium.

hahaha, a custom build of chrome, ok, well, that certainly makes sense. I'm sure this will go places.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
the best indicators i've found are the tools people use for everything apart from coding - email, bug tracking, communication.

even then it's just a 'this is going to be poo poo' not 'this is going to be good'

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

Moving from job to job has been working really well for me up to now. Great way to get raises, no time to get too bored, lots of people to meet.

agreed.

I've actually been thinking about trying sales engineering again. I did it for a bit and liked it, got to meet a bunch of people.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

really the best way to survive being in a startup is to know that you'll probably want to leave in 2 years as the company and culture changes rapidly.

(going by the 'startups are companies obsessed with high growth and potential return on investment' defintion)

there is no room for job growth, or moving up the chain, in most startups. it's easier to get a job in a new one than to actually change your role.

it's really hard to tell the good from the bad, because the awfulness rarely sets in before the first three months - still just happy to be out of the last place.

i guess any warning signs are things like 'crunch time', 'overtime work'. once they pull this out to meet investment deadlines, they'll do it each time. the emergency becomes the norm. there is other things too, like being in a monoculture full of penishavers.

options are normally futile and honestly you're gambling your future sanity on the business decisions of people you've come to loathe.

i lucked out so far

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

the best indicators i've found are the tools people use for everything apart from coding - email, bug tracking, communication.

even then it's just a 'this is going to be poo poo' not 'this is going to be good'

'we use fogbugz. yeah, the cto is a big fan of joel spolsky.'

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

agreed.

I've actually been thinking about trying sales engineering again. I did it for a bit and liked it, got to meet a bunch of people.

sounds like you enjoyed it, do it (pm me we're looking for "solution/sales engineers" in san francisco)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lmao, like I'd pay money for forum features. my email is lol.a.butt at gmale

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

'we use fogbugz. yeah, the cto is a big fan of joel spolsky.'

yep, this. oh god.

see if they'd said 'peopleware' and had actually read it, then, yes please. but most of them just like it because ~joel~ does.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Cocoa Crispies posted:

sounds like you enjoyed it, do it (pm me we're looking for "solution/sales engineers" in san francisco)

your company actually sounds neat, judging by how they've behaved in public and the conference stuff.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
nobody likes connecticut :(

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i'm too dumb to work in the us of a

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

i'm too dumb to work in the us of a
lmao no, how come I have a job here then

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it takes an education with diplomas and poo poo to move around industrialized countries, sadly.

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

meanwhile any high school graduate in the us can get shoehorned into the highest level jobs if they know enough people

being the exception to the rule is truly the new american dream

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you don't need a visa

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

MononcQc posted:

The fun thing in large soulless corporations is that you can usually work super slow and keep a shitload of time for personal stuff during work hours. I worked through a large part of SICP during my work time at my first job in a large place.

The downside is that you'll never see yourself 'bloom' in a place like this and you'll have to do poo poo in your free time to feel good about programming. It does let you see your day job as a day job, and it makes it easier to separate your hobby from your workplace. I ended up leaving because I got bored, though.

lol

For some strange reason I don't seem to be making any headway in this job! must be because its a huge soulless corporation

sits in cubicle loving with lisp instead of doing the work im literally being paid for

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

WHOIS John Galt posted:

lol

For some strange reason I don't seem to be making any headway in this job! must be because its a huge soulless corporation

sits in cubicle loving with lisp instead of doing the work im literally being paid for

lmbo @ the idea of "making headway" on a project in a large company

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

quote:

Make a lightweight model wrapper for the mongodb that abstracts the details of specific social bookmarking sites to provide an api to:

Every time someone talks about making something lightweight I can only see the blood on the back of my eyelids.

Who does this person think he's fooling? Everybody, everybody is the answer.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

MononcQc posted:

Write a book / design a training course on "the cynical approach to software engineering" for a down-to-earth no bullshit way to get into development. You'd rock at this.

I would buy and read "tef posts on programming"

if spolsky and atwood can write books, so can you anyone

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

rotor posted:

lmbo @ the idea of "making headway" on a project in a large company

A CJ friend of mine works for a bank. He was recently very angry about having to set up workstations for developers that were required to have no access to source control.

No, that's not a weird expression or typo, it means exactly what you think it does.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Zombywuf posted:

A CJ friend of mine works for a bank. He was recently very angry about having to set up workstations for developers that were required to have no access to source control.

No, that's not a weird expression or typo, it means exactly what you think it does.

I actually skipped over the "no" the first time I read that.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Zombywuf posted:

write up how this was supposed to work & post it in the horrors thread

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

tef posted:

it's more that i'm sick of the industry.

people tell me I should go and work in a large behemoth company instead of working at small brain damaged firms, because then it's easy to stop caring.

i don't want to stop caring :smith:
from a few pages ago but i've had people tell me from experience that medium sized firms (like one-to-several hundred employees) are terrible to work for because more often than not you're surrounded by idiots and terrible programmers, managed by apes, and also enormously undervalued as a worker. either really small or really big seems to be the way to go.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

write up how this was supposed to work & post it in the horrors thread

I don't know the details but from what I understand the process was to look something like: dev workstation -> Hudson -> SVN.

The whole thing sounded like it was the result of some political spat between some managers up the food chain somewhere. My friend didn't even work in the workstation team but for some reason his team was being made to do it.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

OBAMA BIN LOADIN posted:

from a few pages ago but i've had people tell me from experience that medium sized firms (like one-to-several hundred employees) are terrible to work for because more often than not you're surrounded by idiots and terrible programmers, managed by apes, and also enormously undervalued as a worker. either really small or really big seems to be the way to go.
i've been on a few work socials for this medium sized firm a few times (my housemate is the daughter of the big boss) and honestly i'm glad i don't work there. the only people that seemed to know what's up in that company were constantly talked over by this higher up neanderthal who spends most nights making a stern challenge for Biggest Idiot Ever. unfortunately he is second in command at that company and the impression i got from my housemate was that a lot of the managers are very similar. her dad is a really cool guy tho and i like him.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
honestly tef you could probably do much better

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

WHOIS John Galt posted:

lol

I did do some headway at that job, and got raises too. You can often get away with doing the bare minimum in places like that. I wouldn't get away with doing the bare minimum at my current job where I work remotely for a small company, but I could at my old job where I was on site in a big corporation.

The thing is, when the place is large as hell with many layers of management, the machine moves very slowly. You get blocked for no reason by lots of people in different departments, and that leaves you with a lot of frustrating time off. It makes it easy for projects to die in bureaucracy or to be paused for days while critical parts are stuck in project manager 75's inbox.

Small corporations tend to have a much shorter feedback loop and allow you to work faster.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
one advantage of working in a big company, assuming that the company hasn't built a ball of mud the size of manhattan, is that platform tech developed by one team is made available to others and with a lot of teams that's a lot of reusable tech

a downside is that you might grow dependent on that proprietary tech and your experience with it will be completely worthless at your :airquote:next job:airquote:

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

So, northern hemisphere, first world country, anglophone (or perhaps you've learnt a novelty language like scottish or irish, yeah no still makes you an anglophone). You live a pigeon's fart away from america/canadia and the EU is your oyster.

It doesn't seem so bad. Why not get another job?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

homercles posted:

So, northern hemisphere, first world country, anglophone (or perhaps you've learnt a novelty language like scottish or irish, yeah no still makes you an anglophone). You live a pigeon's fart away from america/canadia and the EU is your oyster.

yep, yep, yep (nope), yep. I do have the right to work in the EU.

quote:

It doesn't seem so bad. Why not get another job?

It isn't. I'm just really loving disappointed in this job. I like the people I work with, and kinda like the domain i'm in, but i'm totally loving burned out.

quote:

Why not get another job?

I've been looking for the last month or so - I've been lazy and tried to get a job that doesn't involve moving away from people I care about, and keeping the things I like about this job.

however, it turns out finding a job that sucks less than the current one will likely involve moving away to somewhere.

that and the fear that moving away will end up me being hosed over in a new place (happened once, i'm a scaredy cat), or that i'll just repeat the burning out cycle again.

(basically I'm a big spoiled babby)

tef fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 18, 2012

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
really i'm just trying to find a better option than "jump into another startup, watch it fuckup in slow motion". staying where I am will probably involve moving to a large corporation (amazon are hiring, heh).

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
see if msgr. akalin can get you an interview w/ googe and troll him every day if they hire you imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
dont do an european startup cause they're all bound for failure in their failconomy