Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Already tried that, no one ever came .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Well just pm Bloodnose. I have no idea what's going to happen

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bloodnose, the problem solver of the China threads

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

TheBuilder posted:

You have to call ICE, they are the ones that track down and deport overstayers

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

TheBuilder posted:

i'm pretty sure her 'boyfriends' came, hehe

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
ICE, USCIS, and DHS don't give a gently caress about the huge number of straight up undocumented immigrants here running restaurants that jumped the border or came in shipping containers. An overstayed tourist visa isn't even on their list of poo poo to do this decade.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheBuilder posted:

An overstayed tourist visa isn't even on their list of poo poo to do this decade.

This is great news for the girls that I know that are in the USA illegally, they will be thrilled with this information lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TheBuilder posted:

ICE, USCIS, and DHS don't give a gently caress about the huge number of straight up undocumented immigrants here running restaurants that jumped the border or came in shipping containers. An overstayed tourist visa isn't even on their list of poo poo to do this decade.

Not if you tell them that the Chinese are secretly Hui and want to join ISIS

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

i've got a really good story about someone overstaying a visa that i can't tell, it pains me to not be able to tell it cause it's so funny

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

systran posted:

i've got a really good story about someone overstaying a visa that i can't tell, it pains me to not be able to tell it cause it's so funny

holy poo poo, systran at some point i'll have to get your email because you and i could actually write china.txt

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

i promised the guy i would never tell anyone about him, and part of why it's so funny is because of his insane level of paranoia, but i promised him i wouldn't tell so i'd be even worried about putting just the random details into a story

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
so what you do is you tell me and i fictionalize it about my great fictionalized chinese protagonist Zhang Yan. because I'm sure it isn't half as bad as china.txt

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

are you going to publish as a series of anecdotes or do you want to interweave them all into a big narrative?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
a big narrative would be best imo

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

who is the target audience?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

systran posted:

me

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

systran posted:

If Peter Hessler can write lovely books, so can you!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

So you want to write a book just for yourself? If it's good you might as well to try to publish it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
We're getting updates on china stories? How about that guy who had a chinese girlfriend who would go "work" for 2-3 hours once a week or so for some chinese businessman?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Baddog posted:

We're getting updates on china stories? How about that guy who had a chinese girlfriend who would go "work" for 2-3 hours once a week or so for some chinese businessman?

That's the same guy that was willing to work for 11 RMB per hour right?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

He disappeared. The funniest thing he did though was posting a thread like, "Having a party in China!" and he was going to live update it with pics as the party went on. I have no idea why he was going to do this, by the way. Anyway, he posted the first pic of like two people standing around, and then everyone made fun of him so he got mad and closed the thread.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

systran posted:

I would pay actual dollars for a book-length collection of your stories.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Canadian dollars arent motivating, CT.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

systran posted:

You could PM them to me in confidence with as much detail on the case and individual that you can remember.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

systran posted:

He disappeared. The funniest thing he did though was posting a thread like, "Having a party in China!" and he was going to live update it with pics as the party went on. I have no idea why he was going to do this, by the way. Anyway, he posted the first pic of like two people standing around, and then everyone made fun of him so he got mad and closed the thread.

The other funniest thing was all the other stuff he ever posted re: China.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed chatting with him on WeChat. Then one day he just deleted me off WeChat and I sent him a message to see how he was doing and he never responded back. I dunno :shrug:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

he's trying to import his gf to the uk now, lol

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I invited him to several things and he always turned me down, then one day he messaged me in all caps for a while.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The other funniest thing was when he was mooching of his girlfriend's parents so he could save up enough money to break up with her and move to Japan.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Jeoh posted:

he's trying to import his gf to the uk now, lol

Real China experience

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Are there sites with Chinese subtitles for documentaries? Google results have been entirely taken over by the smog documentary.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Just watch the smog documentary.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Grand Fromage posted:

Are there sites with Chinese subtitles for documentaries? Google results have been entirely taken over by the smog documentary.

There used to be shooter.cn but that shut down not too long ago. I don't know where you get 'em now.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
For Chinese subtitles you can use one of these:

http://www.ttmeiju.com/

http://www.subom.net/

http://subhd.com/

http://www.zimuku.net/

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

This is good info. Thanks, Steve.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
You're welcome, Fart.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Will a PRC school/travel visa also get me into RoC?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Zipline posted:

It's a separate territory with its own visa requirements. If you have a US / Canadian passport then it's fine.

What you have to worry is if your PRC school visa allows multiple entry. I suspect yes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zipline posted:

If you're an American citizen you can enter the RoC without a visa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I

Zipline posted:

I would be more wary of if your visa allows multiple entries. Most less than one year students just get f visas.