Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Never entered the Hood tourney because I thought it was ending 12 hours later than it did. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I've definitely done that before to previous events.

Ended up top 5, and thanks to a good place by Pizza Dog, I managed to score 3 Black Panther covers and 200HP

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Marvel Puzzle Quest: Why Does Everyone Have Level 85s Except Me?

I'm playing with the idea of purposefully losing rounds to try to make my matches a little more fair to my pathetic level 50-60 roster. Throwing together teams of my lowest level heroes and trying my best against the trios of 85s I can't seem to avoid.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gromdul posted:

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Why Does Everyone Have Level 141s Except Me?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
You guys really need to tank hard enough to start out each tournament fighting nothing but babby's first starter teams through 600 points. I see zero resistance until around 700 points and then shield just before the threats see me on their radar. Easy top 5s/1st place every time.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Snazzy Frocks posted:

You guys really need to tank hard enough to start out each tournament fighting nothing but babby's first starter teams through 600 points. I see zero resistance until around 700 points and then shield just before the threats see me on their radar. Easy top 5s/1st place every time.

What do you do in order to tank your rating?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You get attacked and lose a bunch.

Lightning Rounds are probably the best time for tanking. I've also tried using PvP Tournaments to tank, but that doesn't work quite as well. I think part of it has to do with the fact that starting off with a weak team to invite attacks so you can retaliate later is a thing now, and people are wary of that.

Lightning Rounds are short and frantic, so people will attack anything they can. I fight until I have 100 points, then switch to a lower level team and make a last fight. Regardless of whether I win or lose, I then have a weak team representing me in the Lightning Rounds, and I get attacked like 10+ times. Best to start at the beginning of a LR, so you have enough time to get attacked.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Happy Bear Suit posted:

I gotta say with AgentsOfGOON at a full 20 players I'm pretty... surprised with the performance so far. I never expected to get top 10 but other alliances that field ~14 players have the same or better ranking than us. If theres ever a monitoring system I'd like to boot out the inactives.

I just treat alliance rewards as a bonus as you can't really do anything about how your allies do in the game. I'm in Agents of Goon and scored a top 10 finish on 650 points in the Hood PvP just gone, but I'm certainly not caring that we ended up top 100 for the alliance. We still got a black panther cover and 100 hero points from alliance rewards so I'm happy.

I'm going to end up well out of the running for The Simulator though, I've had a lot on my plate in the last week and got time zone hosed on a couple of the rounds.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Thanks for adding me to GoonStyle. Still need a bit more HP, but once I do, how do I open another slot?

Also I've found just doing one or two fights in a PvP tournament works pretty well, because I get a bunch of points from people losing to me. I guess my AI team gets lucky cascades quite often. :v:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

McDragon posted:

Thanks for adding me to GoonStyle. Still need a bit more HP, but once I do, how do I open another slot?

PM me and I'll make you a commander. You'll be able to open another spot after that.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This game might be more fun if literally every single pvp fight ever wasn't against a max level Thor

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
When the only difference between getting over 250 in alliance ranking is bonus ISO and HP but everyone gets the same cover, I don't think there's any reason to panic about topping the charts.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Wow, I actually hit the 8,000 ISO reward. I wasn't expecting that; for the first few sub events I was barely making 50,000 each time, but in this one I made over 100,000 without even playing that much. I wish I had some idea how they calculated points for event fights.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I'm going to miss boosted Ares. :smith:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Just got my two Heroic tokens for The Simulator rewards: Daredevil Red and IW Yellow. Better than the Bagman I was expecting!

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
First time hit first (I hope) in both events and made it to just under the captain cover, which I'm happy about as I need the OBW covers more. This is the best I've ever done in an event.

Edit: Got a lazy thor and a lovely two star

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 2, 2014

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Well, and that's the end of the Simulator. I was in the chase for first in my bracket when the last round slapped us with LazyThor as a required for the essential fights. I think I finished in 15th, all things considered, but it was a mad dash to the finish line for sure. In the process, I too now appreciate boosted Ares.

I had a dumb thought for a character they should add: Rogue. Give her a health absorb and that would drive PVP bonkers. It's like the reverse Juggernaut.

Edit: and I got my last Hulk cover with the Simulator token, giving me a 5-3-5 Hulk that I am pleased with.

Auritech fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 31, 2014

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Huh, I hadn't really read Lazy Cap's abilities, but he's actually boosted over regular Cap with Peacemaker dropping a protect tile, too.
Managed 44 overall, but only got 6x standard tokens for the sub events. Pulled a yellow Spidey, though, so I consider it a net gain.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I squeaked by into Top 50 thanks to pounding away at the Daredevil/Venom mission in the last half hour. Pretty pleased considering I don't have Lazy Thor. Even got a Hood from a standard token, so pretty stoked overall.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

PM me and I'll make you a commander. You'll be able to open another spot after that.

Okay, will do. Is it 900?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Lofty132 posted:

Just got my two Heroic tokens for The Simulator rewards: Daredevil Red and IW Yellow. Better than the Bagman I was expecting!

Got 2* Cap & Bullseye with mine. :shepface:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Largepotato posted:

Got 2* Cap & Bullseye with mine. :shepface:

The point I'm at, I'm just super happy if I don't have to sell the covers I get.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Hooray! I got two cap covers and a third to be given later!

Now to never use him except when I have to.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainScraps posted:

Now to never use him except when I have to.

That's the true MPQ spirit!

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Ok, need advice on who to train. I have 19,000 ISO and the alliance reward hasn't come in yet, so I have quite a bit to spend.

I have a 5 blue spidey at level 99 with a max level 115. He's definitely going to be a part of my team whenever possible, but now that he does more damage on yellow than Thor or Ares (both level 85) I'm wondering if I should be trying to get some other heroes above 85 to support him.

I had amazing luck on hood tokens between the simulator and Unholy Outlaw and have a 5 blue Hood at level 66, max level 115. I think I'm going to want to use him a lot too (I replace Ares with him in simulator near the end and it worked out great, even though he was a much lower effective level and I had to rely on lazyThor's lower spike damage), but he's not going to be useful for the current tourney so I don't know if I should wait to level him.

Iron Man and Punisher are both in the 70s and could hit 102. None of my other heroic 3 stars can pass 85 currently; Magneto could hit 92.

So thoughts on what I should do? Push points into spidey and keep using Thor, try to catch Iron Man or Punisher up with Spidey, spend it all on Hood since I'll be using him more in future events? Hood+spidey+(tank) is pretty much my plan whenever I have options.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Wouldn't mind joining an alliance if there are any open spots. Feel free to PM me if so.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sefer posted:

Ok, need advice on who to train. I have 19,000 ISO and the alliance reward hasn't come in yet, so I have quite a bit to spend.

I have a 5 blue spidey at level 99 with a max level 115. He's definitely going to be a part of my team whenever possible, but now that he does more damage on yellow than Thor or Ares (both level 85) I'm wondering if I should be trying to get some other heroes above 85 to support him.

I had amazing luck on hood tokens between the simulator and Unholy Outlaw and have a 5 blue Hood at level 66, max level 115. I think I'm going to want to use him a lot too (I replace Ares with him in simulator near the end and it worked out great, even though he was a much lower effective level and I had to rely on lazyThor's lower spike damage), but he's not going to be useful for the current tourney so I don't know if I should wait to level him.

Iron Man and Punisher are both in the 70s and could hit 102. None of my other heroic 3 stars can pass 85 currently; Magneto could hit 92.

So thoughts on what I should do? Push points into spidey and keep using Thor, try to catch Iron Man or Punisher up with Spidey, spend it all on Hood since I'll be using him more in future events? Hood+spidey+(tank) is pretty much my plan whenever I have options.

Well, magneto is quite powerful so a Punisher/Spidey/Magneto team is going to do very well. Also consider Punisher/Spidey/Hood:

Covers all colors. Punisher will obviously do all the damage with spidey stunning everyone and the Hood feeding them AP. Since the punisher creates both attack and strike tiles the damage they receive while stunned can get pretty high pretty quick.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Level up Hood, but try to keep his damage below others. He's awesome, but incredibly squishy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Good job on the simulator, g.o.o.n dudes. I've gotten one of each cover from the event.

As for which guy to spend your iso on, Punisher is an outstanding choice to max out. He's useful in every event that allows 3* heroes, even if ridiculous boosts are handed out to other characters. You just can't go wrong with a 141 Frank Castle. Iron Man 40 is also decent, but he's slower to get started than the punisher, and isn't quite as high utility. Never ever max out Spider Man. You don't want him dishing out more damage than a level 85 OBW.

Also, don't level up the Hood too highly. His best abilities aren't about dealing damage, and you don't want him stepping out in front to take a hit. He's much too squishy for that.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 31, 2014

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Sefer posted:

Don't blow your ISO until you see the what heroes the next PvE event has boosted, if you ask me.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Never ever max out Spider Man. You don't want him dishing out more damage than a level 85 OBW.

Probably too late for that, and my OBW is stuck at 77 anyway- the only 2 star character I don't have 13 covers for. I haven't used her since I got Spidey up to a decent level anyway, he's a better healer than she is and stuns make up for not stealing AP.

Thanks for the advice, guys, gonna try out leveling Punisher.

Edit:

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Don't blow your ISO until you see the what heroes the next PvE event has boosted, if you ask me.

It'll be the new Cap, since they always make you use the new character. I already put in the ISO to level him up.

Sefer fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 31, 2014

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sefer posted:

Probably too late for that, and my OBW is stuck at 77 anyway- the only 2 star character I don't have 13 covers for. I haven't used her since I got Spidey up to a decent level anyway, he's a better healer than she is and stuns make up for not stealing AP.

Thanks for the advice, guys, gonna try out leveling Punisher.

Edit:

It'll be the new Cap, since they always make you use the new character. I already put in the ISO to level him up.

My default unboosted team is Pun/obw/Spidey. Obw does not heal. Instead, she takes point on all purple and blue matches, so that every match three gets 4 ap (assuming the opponent has that color). In my team, obw's job is to help Spidey achieve stun lock and to get Frank blowing up the other team as quickly as possible. Except for the occasional bs cascade in the first few turns, it works pretty well.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If they have a Apr 1st announcement of any kind it better be about Gold Series Bagman

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If they have a Apr 1st announcement of any kind it better be about Gold Series Bagman

Actual playable Pizza Dog character.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

A.o.D. posted:

My default unboosted team is Pun/obw/Spidey. Obw does not heal. Instead, she takes point on all purple and blue matches, so that every match three gets 4 ap (assuming the opponent has that color). In my team, obw's job is to help Spidey achieve stun lock and to get Frank blowing up the other team as quickly as possible. Except for the occasional bs cascade in the first few turns, it works pretty well.

I love Magneto NOW on Jungle for putting together bunches of blue that will drop critical tiles where they can get matched up with environmental tiles. After three purple matches I usually won't have to worry about being short on any color, plus the other team is now stunlocked permanently. Any other character that can change a bunch of selected tiles' color should be used to this effect as well.

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003
I just left AgentsOfGoon if you guys want to start some crazy process to fill that space. Hopefully without Juggerdongs

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I finally got Patch to over level 100 and he is amazing. At 4/2/5 he still needs some covers to finish him off but he is still awesome. Finishing a game with Berzerker rage followed by Best There Is, and then firing off M.Storm's black a couple of times if anyone is left ends poo poo real fast. All those strike tiles add up to a shitload of damage.

DrunkenBobDole
Jul 20, 2005
Not Worthy Yet
Just applied to AgentsofGOON as DrunkenBobDole :)

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Friendly Fire posted:

I finally got Patch to over level 100 and he is amazing. At 4/2/5 he still needs some covers to finish him off but he is still awesome. Finishing a game with Berzerker rage followed by Best There Is, and then firing off M.Storm's black a couple of times if anyone is left ends poo poo real fast. All those strike tiles add up to a shitload of damage.

Pair him up with Punisher. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Largepotato posted:

Pair him up with Punisher. :black101:

I would but my Punisher is only at level 89. I'm running Patch with OBW and M.Storm. It's working pretty well so far.