Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I'm kind of jealous of Naked palette wearers because it would just blend in w my skin

Glinda palette also can look wonderful on pale skin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Captain Backslap posted:

Migraines are just like firbomalgia and morgellons. Just hysterical women making up stuff to get out of housework.

not really a migraine but i just can't drink chivas regal anymore after a bad experience i had with it

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
ugh i've only had like 3-4 migraines in my life but I will die a happy person if i never ever get another one again. like for serious, i was just laying in bed with my head under the pillow crying and wishing that someone would come in and kill me right then and there

i can't imagine how people who get them frequently deal with it

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

though i know a guy who drinks at least one bottle of chivas a day

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

I spent much of the holiday sick as a dog. Nasty bronchitis that may have developed into pneumonia. I'm feeling better now, and I'm thinking of heading to the local makeup shop today. I've been trying to take a bit more pride in my appearance over the past few months and I'm realizing that my old look of earth tones doesn't exactly go well with my newer look with brighter clothes and pink hair.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Women's Rights? posted:

ugh i've only had like 3-4 migraines in my life but I will die a happy person if i never ever get another one again. like for serious, i was just laying in bed with my head under the pillow crying and wishing that someone would come in and kill me right then and there

I get about 2 a month thanks to HORMONES :byodame: (used to be even worse when I took the pill). The only thing that even touches them is Maxalt, so I keep a supply handy. Dark quiet rooms, ice and/or heat also help.

It's good in a way, I'd probably be an alcoholic if booze didn't also tend to trigger them and generally make me feel like poo poo.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Makeup chat: I want to find Scully's exact lipstick color. I have the same color hair as her and typically just goldish neutral eyeshadow and mascara. I don't want to find it in a "I WANT TO BE SCULLY" way, just a "hey, that's my exact color palette" way. But I can't find it.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Women's Rights? posted:

Seriously, me either. Some people even still try to do things that require concentration or interacting with other people while they're in the middle of one, too, which boggles my mind. I've had two headache experiences that may or may not be migraines but they were so horrible I can't imagine dealing with them on a regular basis or being in even worse pain. I think I resorted to like laying down with ice and frozen peas wrapped around my head and neck.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
i feel super lucky that my migraines are mostly symptoms that aren't head-splitting pain
sensitivity to light, sound, smell and dizziness combined with a worse-than-usual headache and vision weirdness but nothing that's super bad

i didn't even know they were migraines until i asked a doctor and he told me not all migraines are holy gently caress bad and what i was experiencing were, in fact, migranes
just lil baby ones

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Captain Backslap posted:

Seriously, me either. Some people even still try to do things that require concentration or interacting with other people while they're in the middle of one, too, which boggles my mind. I've had two headache experiences that may or may not be migraines but they were so horrible I can't imagine dealing with them on a regular basis or being in even worse pain. I think I resorted to like laying down with ice and frozen peas wrapped around my head and neck.

you kind of get used to having to do poo poo even when you're dizzy, nauseous and half out of your mind with pain because you just ... don't have any other choice? like, if i want to keep being a jobhaver, it's not like i can just call off every time i have one. i get them anywhere from 1-5 times a month. sometimes i'll have one a week. so you just kind of get used to roaming around doing poo poo with sunglasses on

once when i was in college my freshman year roommate hated me and used a migraine day to somehow trick me into switching into another dorm room entirely though; i was too confused to argue, that owned

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Captain Backslap posted:

I can do it, for a limited amount of time anyway. I guess I've just learned to power through it to an extent (like at work or whatever), but it's draining and eventually I'll crash. Could be worse though, my mom used to get them in her 20s/30s and I couldn't imagine being home with two young kids while having one of those.

The only reason I even do it is because Maxalt knocks me completely out for about an hour at least and normal safe doses of OTC pain relievers do nothing.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Women's Rights? posted:

i got the UD naked 3 palette as (another) christmas present to myself

hnnnnnnng i'm in love with the entire thing holy poo poo i will never wear anything else

-ladylike high five-

I ended up putting my barely-touched Naked 1 palette in a care package box of makeup I sent to a friend who has basically none. Hopefully she'll get as much use out of it as I am Naked 3.

Kimmalah posted:

I have the same problem. It's part of why I've never done much with makeup (besides being lazy) because I can never find anything pale enough for my skin and I'm always afraid of walking around with that "mask" look with a really brown face and pale everywhere else. Recommendations for colors from fellow vampires are welcome!

I think I have like a redhead's skin tone from my mom's family, so I'm really super pale and get freckles instead of tanning. But then I got my dad's super dark brown hair (that's going gray so early :argh: ).

Meow Cosmetics has a ton of wonderful foundations for pale skin tones. Other skin tones too, but I'm pale, soooo... And that poo poo gives you coverage like no other powder foundation I've seen. Matching concealers, under-eye specific concealers, color-correcters, all sorts of good poo poo.

Illamasqua and Lancome, and to a lesser extent, Make Up For Ever, also have good pale skin tone selections, and those are liquid. They're pricey though.

Manic Panic makes a few shades that are too light for me, and I'm always lighter (and pinker) than the lightest drugstore shades. Dreamtone foundations, I think is the name.

teh winnar! posted:

I spent much of the holiday sick as a dog. Nasty bronchitis that may have developed into pneumonia. I'm feeling better now, and I'm thinking of heading to the local makeup shop today. I've been trying to take a bit more pride in my appearance over the past few months and I'm realizing that my old look of earth tones doesn't exactly go well with my newer look with brighter clothes and pink hair.

Wear all the bright colors. I do. Except blue, I'm afraid of looking like Mimi from the Drew Carey show. You might want to look into indie cosmetics, 90% of what's indie is eye shadows, and they're usually hella affordable, especially compared to mid-end/prestige/high-end stuff. There's a traditional cosmetics 'rule' that I stick to that is basically "bold lips or bold eyes, pick one" but if you don't want to stick with that, rock on.

detectivemonkey posted:

Makeup chat: I want to find Scully's exact lipstick color. I have the same color hair as her and typically just goldish neutral eyeshadow and mascara. I don't want to find it in a "I WANT TO BE SCULLY" way, just a "hey, that's my exact color palette" way. But I can't find it.

I googled the actress in Scully-mode up and saw several varying lipstick shades, post a pic. I like playing shade detective.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I also abide by the eyes or lips rule except my lips are big and I can pretty much never have a bright mouth :( eyeshadow it is

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Fabulist posted:

I googled the actress in Scully-mode up and saw several varying lipstick shades, post a pic. I like playing shade detective.

My hero! Probably this one:

or this one:

Sometimes she has a good red color, which is hard with red hair, but I can't find any pictures that aren't raspberry and ew to that.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Women's Rights? posted:

I haven't had a migraine in like a year (knock wood) but when I got them (like four or five times a year), I was completely debilitated. Like if I didn't lie in a dark room without moving, I wound up puking violently.

The weirdest thing is the auras tho'. I've only gotten them twice and both times I [i]didn't/i] get the accompanying headache. The first time I got one I honestly thought it was a detached retina until I googled and found some drawings that looked exactly like what I was seeing. It's bizarre how similarly they appear to most people (like shards of stained glass in a crescent shape from one side).

Kimmalah posted:

I have the same problem. It's part of why I've never done much with makeup (besides being lazy) because I can never find anything pale enough for my skin and I'm always afraid of walking around with that "mask" look with a really brown face and pale everywhere else. Recommendations for colors from fellow vampires are welcome!

I think I have like a redhead's skin tone from my mom's family, so I'm really super pale and get freckles instead of tanning. But then I got my dad's super dark brown hair (that's going gray so early :argh: ).

I like Prescritives Virtual Skin because it's somewhat sheer so I don't feel "mask-like" and they have a ton of different shades. I've got some Make Up Forever foundation that's a good match for my skin (super fair natural redhead) but it just feels too heavy. Unfortunately, Prescriptive closed all their counters which is a shame 'cause they were pretty good at helping you match the undertones in your skin. I'd definitely go higher end with your foundation, cheap foundations are never pale enough and can oxidize and look orangey.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Looks like a naturalish shade, so maybe Urban Decay super saturated in Flush. Punch Drunk is an orangeish shade that could look great on that skin tone too imo

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I got my first migraine about a year ago. I didn't even realize it was a migraine at the time. I was out with my mom and got a headache. I took some Motrin and it continued to get worse. I had to ask her to take me home because I started to get nauseous. I was incredibly nauseous and sick for the rest of the day.

Fortunately, I've only had one other mograine since then and it wasn't quite as bad.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

t_violet posted:

The weirdest thing is the auras tho'. I've only gotten them twice and both times I [i]didn't/i] get the accompanying headache. The first time I got one I honestly thought it was a detached retina until I googled and found some drawings that looked exactly like what I was seeing. It's bizarre how similarly they appear to most people (like shards of stained glass in a crescent shape from one side).

oh man, after looking it up some of those look a hell of a lot like the weird visual thing I get from time to time (maybe about once a year?), I always ruled out migraines because it never hurts and goes away after about half an hour but I guess it could be? huh, mystery kind of solved

also as another pale-and-pink person who has trouble with makeup (not a redhead though, dark hair which can be annoying) I've pretty much given up on foundation and use only minimal concealer because it's always too orange. can't do the 'nude/natural' style because it makes me look washed out and blotchy, insanely bright eyeshadows and lipsticks look nice and somehow not trashy on me though which is fun (not together obviously)

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Donkay NOoo posted:

Looks like a naturalish shade, so maybe Urban Decay super saturated in Flush. Punch Drunk is an orangeish shade that could look great on that skin tone too imo

Ooh, that one looks nice. I go with super subtle everything, although my husband hates that and wants me to be THE BRIGHTEST EVERYTHING EVER.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Nessa posted:

I got my first migraine about a year ago. I didn't even realize it was a migraine at the time. I was out with my mom and got a headache. I took some Motrin and it continued to get worse. I had to ask her to take me home because I started to get nauseous. I was incredibly nauseous and sick for the rest of the day.

Fortunately, I've only had one other mograine since then and it wasn't quite as bad.

The fun part is when you get the sensitivity to light/sound and then the dog gets a hold of a loud squeaky toy right next to you during the brightest part of the day. Like bells going off in your head.

I'm sure someone out there thinks I'm a vampire, between the paleness and periodically hiding from the light grimacing in pain. :v:

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

t_violet posted:

I haven't had a migraine in like a year (knock wood) but when I got them (like four or five times a year), I was completely debilitated. Like if I didn't lie in a dark room without moving, I wound up puking violently.

Hey, that's exactly right! I didn't know it was such a uniform aura experience. I get about a migraine, but am lucky in that they build slowly all day and don't get really bad until close to the kids' bedtime. Caffeine in small quantities, tylenol, and drinking tons of water help me, along with ice packs on my poor head.

I never wear lipstick because I feel like my lips are too big, and I wouldn't know what color to wear anyhow.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Pale anything washes me out, I look just ghastly in light shades. I love eyeshadow, but 90% of the shades out there look terrible on me, and the 10% that don't aren't really daytime appropriate. I just usually do a bit of black liquid liner, mascara and red lipstick. It's boring, but I'm ready in five minutes.

Also ugh, people in this city do not know how to drive in the snow.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
it was nice yesterday but it's back to way too cold today. 44 degrees, with wind

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Kimmalah posted:

The fun part is when you get the sensitivity to light/sound and then the dog gets a hold of a loud squeaky toy right next to you during the brightest part of the day. Like bells going off in your head.

I'm sure someone out there thinks I'm a vampire, between the paleness and periodically hiding from the light grimacing in pain. :v:

The worst I had was when I was driving back from OKC (about a six hour drive) with my coach. It hit me about half way back (it was after a race and heat and exertion tends to be what triggers me) and I was stuck in this truck when this extreme lightning storm hit. So in a moving truck with non-stop intense flashes and thunder. I couldn't even talk and my coach was worried I was stroking out. Man, that sucked.

I always forget how pale I am until I see a photo of myself in a group and then I'm like, wow, I really am albino.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

it was nice yesterday but it's back to way too cold today. 44 degrees, with wind

it's like 0 deg here

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Never had a migraine myself, knock on wood. My boyfriend said he used to get them constantly as a teenager, but they stopped completely, and never came back, after he smoked weed for the first time. He's never been a regular smoker, it's kind of weird.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pick posted:

it's like 0 deg here

that's fine, just don't leave the research station

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

t_violet posted:

The worst I had was when I was driving back from OKC (about a six hour drive) with my coach. It hit me about half way back (it was after a race and heat and exertion tends to be what triggers me) and I was stuck in this truck when this extreme lightning storm hit. So in a moving truck with non-stop intense flashes and thunder. I couldn't even talk and my coach was worried I was stroking out. Man, that sucked.

I always forget how pale I am until I see a photo of myself in a group and then I'm like, wow, I really am albino.

That's me in my high school graduation photo. You can find me in this huge group of graduates just by looking for the white spot in the crowd.

I've never gotten an aura with a migraine, all I get is a weird bout of depression like a day or so beforehand. It's funny, because some migraine sufferers get really huffy about it, like you're not having a "true" migraine unless you get an aura and you're probably just exaggerating a bad headache. But the vast majority of migraines don't come with an aura.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Hello lady thread. I just want to say that i am ultra jealous of all of you who can train yourselves to not suck at applying nail polish with your non-dominant hand because mine is all hosed up and I can't grip things quite right with it so my right hand always ends up looking like rear end.

-1 outside and I need to go grocery shopping once my paycheck clears. A friend once commented on "the general uninhabitability of the midwest" i think he is onto something there.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

boom boom boom posted:

that's fine, just don't leave the research station

And if a lost malamute wanders up, don't let it in.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zeth posted:

Hello lady thread. I just want to say that i am ultra jealous of all of you who can train yourselves to not suck at applying nail polish with your non-dominant hand because mine is all hosed up and I can't grip things quite right with it so my right hand always ends up looking like rear end.

-1 outside and I need to go grocery shopping once my paycheck clears. A friend once commented on "the general uninhabitability of the midwest" i think he is onto something there.

midwest is inhospitable as poo poo

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

I keep imagining some guy who has "m'lady" as part of his regular vocabulary. He sees the threat, and raises his hand to click, but... no. No.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Susan B. Antimony posted:

Hey, that's exactly right! I didn't know it was such a uniform aura experience. I get about a migraine, but am lucky in that they build slowly all day and don't get really bad until close to the kids' bedtime. Caffeine in small quantities, tylenol, and drinking tons of water help me, along with ice packs on my poor head.

I never wear lipstick because I feel like my lips are too big, and I wouldn't know what color to wear anyhow.

People complaining about big lips don't know how good they have it

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

I used to have migraines one or two times a week when I was younger. Went to a neurologist, but nothing ever came of it besides "welp this happens to you ladies sometimes, sucks to be you I guess." Fortunately they've eased back in frequency as I've gotten older, but changes in the barometric pressure are still a definite trigger. And lying down with my head elevated, that turns out lovely too. Not even a nice soft pillow.

Zeth posted:

I didn't start painting my nails until a year or two ago so I'm still very very bad at painting with my left hand. Sometimes if I know I'm not going anywhere that day, I'll just paint the one hand and ignore the other one.

edit oh yeah sup I'm a lady

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Best Tasting! posted:

I didn't start painting my nails until a year or two ago so I'm still very very bad at painting with my left hand. Sometimes if I know I'm not going anywhere that day, I'll just paint the one hand and ignore the other one.

edit oh yeah sup I'm a lady

That's one of the good things about being one the evil left-handers: you get really good at using either hand. :devil:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I broke my dominant right arm doing something stupid as a kid, right around the time I was learning how to draw and write. I actually got pretty good with my left, and just kind of kept using both once the cast came off. I'm not fully ambidextrous, though

Oh god, also yesterday I saw a guy in a deerstalker hat, a guy in a khaki utilikilt, and a guy in a terrible cape/coat hybrid. It was like m'lady bingo

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 3, 2014

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

so what you're saying is break my right arm so i can paint my nails better

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Best Tasting! posted:

You could probably just practice with your left a lot if you don't feel like hurting yourself. :v:

I'm actually a pretty terrible lefty. I write with my left hand, do most other things with my right and only switch when necessary.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Best Tasting! posted:

Yes. Or have kids and wait til they're old enough to have good motor skills. That works good when I don't want to wait. I hide the xbox controller and won't let my son have it until he paints my nails.

He also is a really good cook. I'm setting some lady (or dude, but I'm pretty sure he likes ladies exclusively) up with a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

with extra cheese
Oct 27, 2010
Weird tip that totally works: always paint the nails on your dominant hand first. It sounds really weird, but it really does help.

• Locked thread