Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Idran posted:

Wasn't it when he relaunched NC? He explicitly dropped the premise during the return video after Demo Reel, I thought.

I think you're right. If I remember right, the two big reasons he stopped doing NC in the first place were the schedule, and him running out of "nostalgic" things. So when he brought the show back, one of the first things he did was remove the cut-off date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DeusExMachinima posted:

People could send in suggestions too. It's not like they don't already have creepersfans internationally.

What's that actually from, anyway?

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's that actually from, anyway?

Spinoff of Zettai Karen Children (known as Psychic Squad in the west) called The Unlimited Hyobu Kyousuke. Pretty much immediately ignored in the west (and then forgotten), but it did fine (broke even) in Japan. They have more of a nostalgia-boner for Zettai Karen Children, I guess. Ironically.

I watched the whole thing and I liked it, but it's basically just X-Men, except mutants are called "espers." Told from Magneto's perspective. But that kinda sums it all up.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 19, 2015

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jay O posted:

Spinoff of Zettai Karen Children (known as Psychic Squad in the west) called The Unlimited Hyobu Kyousuke. Pretty much immediately ignored in the west (and then forgotten), but it did fine (broke even) in Japan. They have more of a nostalgia-boner for Zettai Karen Children, I guess. Ironically.

I watched the whole thing and I liked it, but it's basically just X-Men, except mutants are called "espers." Told from Magneto's perspective. But that kinda sums it all up.

Magneto is my favorite character from x-men, this sounds temping.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Mokinokaro posted:

Barter Town and a lot of the first half or so is actually very good. It's the second half where the kids become much more prominent that drags it down.

I didn't think the part with the kids was the problem so much as the return to Barter Town where it becomes a Disney slapstick adventure briefly remembering its a Mad Max movie enough to have a chase sequence.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Anybody watch that Every Frame A Painting guy? Magnificent stuff.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I have a question for Kyle - How have you been deciding which of your older reviews/videos make it up onto YouTube? There are a fair few missing that I'd really like to be able to see again (your Naked Lunch video in particular, since I saw that film recently). Are there some that you'd rather not resurface?

So far I've been focusing on new episodes. Haven't had the time to put up all of my backlog, but so far I've been doing it reverse-chronologically. Everything I've done so far in 2015 is on my channel, and last month I dumped everything from 2014 on there as well. Before September ends I should have everything from 2013 uploaded. Honestly, there are a few eps that I wouldn't mind forgetting forever, but the fan favorites (The Man Who Fell to Earth, Trash Humpers, Melancholia, etc.) should definitely go online once I make the necessary Content-ID dodging cuts to them. Naked Lunch should be among them :)

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I basically watched your videos in reverse order, it was pretty great. :pwn:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Testekill posted:

If only man, if only. Round the Twist was such a loving weird series

Diamanda Hagan is a huge fan of Round the Twist, I wouldn't be surprised if she reviewed it eventually.

I only watched it occasionally though, I wasn't much of a TV or movie watcher as a kid. But I remember it - one episode in particular, where there was a remote control that affected how fast or slow people moved, and they used it to fast-forward a guy through a spaghetti eating competition.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Oh man, that brings me back. German TV had a phase while I was growing up were they aired a poo poo ton of Australian TV. Round the Twist, Ocean Girl, Spellbinder, Mission Top Secret, Search for Treasure Island.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

e X posted:

Oh man, that brings me back. German TV had a phase while I was growing up were they aired a poo poo ton of Australian TV. Round the Twist, Ocean Girl, Spellbinder, Mission Top Secret, Search for Treasure Island.

Spellbinder was actually a co-Polish & Australian production so that would be why Germany got it. German production companies seem to have a hand in Australian kids shows pretty often as I'm pretty sure that the first season of Blue Water High had a German production company partially working on it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Jay O posted:

Also Magneto has a harem. Or so I've been told. :japan:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

MonsieurChoc posted:

One of the best Spoony videos was the one where he just geeked out over Knightmare.

It was a great video. His past videos makes me ahte his currebt stuff even more.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

KKall posted:

So far I've been focusing on new episodes. Haven't had the time to put up all of my backlog, but so far I've been doing it reverse-chronologically. Everything I've done so far in 2015 is on my channel, and last month I dumped everything from 2014 on there as well. Before September ends I should have everything from 2013 uploaded. Honestly, there are a few eps that I wouldn't mind forgetting forever, but the fan favorites (The Man Who Fell to Earth, Trash Humpers, Melancholia, etc.) should definitely go online once I make the necessary Content-ID dodging cuts to them. Naked Lunch should be among them :)

If you don't mind me asking, which episodes don't you like?

Also, you did a review of a Guy Maddin film a while ago. Are you interested in reviewing any more of his movies? Because I saw his latest one, and it was *weird*.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

DeusExMachinima posted:

Also Magneto has a harem. Or so I've been told. :japan:

No? He has an army of lovable rascals, but the group spans both genders and I don't remember any fanservice. Not at all a harem-y show. It's actually aimed more at female fans. Lots of homoerotic tension between not-Magneto and the mole that joins his rebellion. Anyway. Not a great show, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
At the risk of causing another anime derail, I'd like to ask Jay O something: What is your opinion on that monster girls show?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

At the risk of causing another anime derail, I'd like to ask Jay O something: What is your opinion on that monster girls show?

Jay O posted:

5. Monster Musume: Everyday Life with Monster Girls (Okay...hear me out...this is an ecchi show. It is intentionally gross. It's lowbrow comedy for the head that is not on your shoulders. It is the kind of show you watch in secret or show to people exclusively so they'll go "oh my god why." But I loved the experience of watching it. And I have seen so many other people who don't like titty-time shows express the same joy. The comics it's based on are the best-selling manga in America right now. So there's something there, and I thus feel compelled to recommend it.)

That was back when there was one episode.

If you're looking for ecchi comedy, Shimoneta is the better show by far.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

KKall posted:

Honestly, there are a few eps that I wouldn't mind forgetting forever

I don't mean to :can: but would one of those episodes be your colab ep with Brad on Tromeo and Juliet? Supposedly there's heat between you two?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
So, this teaser-tweet of the upcoming Fury Road review...

https://twitter.com/TamaraLChambers/status/645417552252936192

I don't want to comment too much, because I don't like reading too much into things... but I hope this doesn't end up being what I'm fearing it ends up being.

Two brunettes, who are fans of Tom Hardy (who "totally aren't" Lindsay Ellis and Mara Wilson... being ridiculed....)

Will be glad to be wrong about that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
You are reading way too much into this

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I hope so. Will glad to be "stupid brain tangent" wrong.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Based on how Tamara is the overly enthusiastic creeper character in that picture? Safe bet is that the girls in that picture aren't going to be presented in a positive light.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Testekill posted:

Based on how Tamara is the overly enthusiastic creeper character in that picture? Safe bet is that the girls in that picture aren't going to be presented in a positive light.

Do you see this?

This is where the people who care live

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Do not even ask posted:

I don't mean to :can: but would one of those episodes be your colab ep with Brad on Tromeo and Juliet? Supposedly there's heat between you two?

Because Brad seemed hostile towards Kyle in the video? That's probably just the Snob character being written to be a prick.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Do you see this?

This is where the people who care live

Nebraska?

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That was back when there was one episode.

If you're looking for ecchi comedy, Shimoneta is the better show by far.

I'll agree to disagree on that one, but they're both gleefully juvenile trash, so I'm fully aware that it's a really divisive personal preference thing. For me, the act of watching SHIMONETA was just sorta lame and interminable, without being outright bad (although a couple moments in it definitely are.) It doesn't work as a satire at all, so as a "naughty comedy" it's mostly just balls-less and silly and occasionally offensive in a way that undercuts its intentions. The two best things it has going for it are attractive production values/good art direction for a low-budget comedy, and the occasional truly unique filthy joke. But eh, not my bag. Mostly the problem is that this season just so happens to have a more visually interesting show with far more jaw-dropping grossout jokes in it called Prison School. So SHIMONETA feels like it's trying to do a lot of things and not really standing out in any of them. (It's really underperforming in Japan too. First episodes are everything, and SHIMONETA's first episode was weeeeeak.)

Anyway, with the entire season of Monster Musume basically come and gone, I stand by what I originally said about it. It's handsomely produced for a fanservice show, the comedic timing is really fun and sharp, it's not mean-spirited or misogynist (mind you that doesn't mean it's tasteful or progressive either, noooo way please do not expect a tasteful experience.) Every episode is unique, the gags are weird and bizarre and shameless, and yeah, I still enjoy it. If there's a hell for enjoying Monster Girls, I'll have an express ticket. People say that sometimes you just wanna watch trash, but I'd amend that to say that people just want to watch trash that doesn't make them feel bad about themselves, and I think that's why the show works. It's incredibly sincere fetish cheesecake for its own sake, and I enjoy it even though I'm not its target arousal audience. It's just so drat ridiculous and happy and stupid.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

OldMemes posted:

Beyond Thunderdome isn't a bad movie. It's got a different tone, and its uneven, but its not a bad movie at all. :colbert:

But hnnghhh. I can't watch Fury Road. I AM SPOONY. THIS MOVIE WILL ONLY BE OBJECTIVELY BAD

And to throw him under the bus I'll say Noah is worse than most MRA's in that sense. At least they gave Fury Road a chance before calling it terrible. It's sheer existence offended him.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jay O posted:

I'll agree to disagree on that one, but they're both gleefully juvenile trash, so I'm fully aware that it's a really divisive personal preference thing. For me, the act of watching SHIMONETA was just sorta lame and interminable, without being outright bad (although a couple moments in it definitely are.) It doesn't work as a satire at all, so as a "naughty comedy" it's mostly just balls-less and silly and occasionally offensive in a way that undercuts its intentions. The two best things it has going for it are attractive production values/good art direction for a low-budget comedy, and the occasional truly unique filthy joke. But eh, not my bag. Mostly the problem is that this season just so happens to have a more visually interesting show with far more jaw-dropping grossout jokes in it called Prison School. So SHIMONETA feels like it's trying to do a lot of things and not really standing out in any of them. (It's really underperforming in Japan too. First episodes are everything, and SHIMONETA's first episode was weeeeeak.)

Anyway, with the entire season of Monster Musume basically come and gone, I stand by what I originally said about it. It's handsomely produced for a fanservice show, the comedic timing is really fun and sharp, it's not mean-spirited or misogynist (mind you that doesn't mean it's tasteful or progressive either, noooo way please do not expect a tasteful experience.) Every episode is unique, the gags are weird and bizarre and shameless, and yeah, I still enjoy it. If there's a hell for enjoying Monster Girls, I'll have an express ticket. People say that sometimes you just wanna watch trash, but I'd amend that to say that people just want to watch trash that doesn't make them feel bad about themselves, and I think that's why the show works. It's incredibly sincere fetish cheesecake for its own sake, and I enjoy it even though I'm not its target arousal audience. It's just so drat ridiculous and happy and stupid.

So are both kind of like Demon King Daimao in that respect (if you've seen it)? That show was shamelessly fanservicey as hell but there was something funny/cool in it that I really liked, with the knowledge that it'd require a hell of a lot of explaining if I actually showed it to anyone.

Tracula posted:

But hnnghhh. I can't watch Fury Road. I AM SPOONY. THIS MOVIE WILL ONLY BE OBJECTIVELY BAD

And to throw him under the bus I'll say Noah is worse than most MRA's in that sense. At least they gave Fury Road a chance before calling it terrible. It's sheer existence offended him.

The MRA hate comparison is kinda apples to oranges. Spoony disliked it for a much dumber reason (a reflexive negative reaction to continuing old franchises) versus the tortured, bigoted reason the MRAs have, but his dumb reason is a bit more morally pure. There's too much media in the world to give everything a chance. He's missing out on Fury Road, but comparing him sticking to his guns to the silly anti-feminist bullshit the MRAs hate it for isn't really fair.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Jsor posted:

So are both kind of like Demon King Daimao in that respect (if you've seen it)? That show was shamelessly fanservicey as hell but there was something funny/cool in it that I really liked, with the knowledge that it'd require a hell of a lot of explaining if I actually showed it to anyone.

Oh geez, someone remembers Demon King Daimao. Now I remember Demon King Daimao! :suicide: I only ever saw the first episode of that, and I thought it was bad, but not because it was offensive, just because it was ugly and badly written. I don't think the tone is similar, no. Demon King Daimao was very IN YOUR FACE WE'RE WACKY AND EXTREME, while Monster Girls is very tame and benign and eager to please. It has the tone of a typical domestic harem comedy, but instead of trying to turn the mundane into something absurd and failing, it takes the absurd and plays around with it sincerely. In other harem comedies, six girls moving in with one guy is the punchline in and of itself, and that's not very funny. In Monster Girls, the guy has to have government-mandated house expansions to facilitate the girls, like a giant pool for the mermaid and high ceilings for the spider-woman to web herself up in, so he has construction workers constantly dropping by to knock his walls in and he just sort of gets used to it. That's funny! The premise just allows the sex comedy to be unique, so it doesn't have to "try" very hard, it just works well with the absurdity it's been given.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

There is no heat between me and him. However, there is heat between me and his awful poo poo-stirring fans who desperately want there to be heat between me and him.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Tracula posted:

Weirdly, Spoony seems convinced that Fury Road is a remake, rather than a sequel by the same director as the other films. Shame, because golden age SPoony would have loved the movie. Remember when he got excited over things, and made videos where he talked about stuff he liked?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

KKall posted:

There is no heat between me and him. However, there is heat between me and his awful poo poo-stirring fans who desperately want there to be heat between me and him.

That's probably what most of us assumed. Brad himself's too nice of a guy to really make enemies of fellow producers (or at least any animosity would definitely not originate with him.) You don't seem the type to sink to that silliness either.

Just dumb fans who can't separate a character/role from the person playing it.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Tracula posted:

I find this hilarious. Because he's said, more than once, "I'm sure it's a great movie. I just don't want to see it."

To which thousands of rabid fans will pounce on him, ranging from "You just don't understand let me explain" to "you're wrong" to "spoonh8s evrything!"

So what started as a perfectly reasonable position ("I'm not making any comment on the movie, or it's makes, or it's fans. I just don't want to see it.") becomes, without changing a single word of the position, the best trollbait in existence. He doesn't have to say or do anything different, and it'll stir up froth in thousands. The effort : reaction ratio is off the chart.

And the reactions are hilarious. Such as the above quoted.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

OldMemes posted:

Weirdly, Spoony seems convinced that Fury Road is a remake, rather than a sequel by the same director as the other films. Shame, because golden age SPoony would have loved the movie. Remember when he got excited over things, and made videos where he talked about stuff he liked?

Which is sort of right, if you go by "This is the same person, but seen at different times and by different perspectives by folk around the Outback".

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Angry Joe released his MGS V review.

Comments are stupid as always but the skits regarding quiet are pretty much everything I could ask for.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

lornekates posted:

I find this hilarious. Because he's said, more than once, "I'm sure it's a great movie. I just don't want to see it."

To which thousands of rabid fans will pounce on him, ranging from "You just don't understand let me explain" to "you're wrong" to "spoonh8s evrything!"

So what started as a perfectly reasonable position ("I'm not making any comment on the movie, or it's makes, or it's fans. I just don't want to see it.") becomes, without changing a single word of the position, the best trollbait in existence. He doesn't have to say or do anything different, and it'll stir up froth in thousands. The effort : reaction ratio is off the chart.

And the reactions are hilarious. Such as the above quoted.

Sometimes I wonder if they do that because they want content that is not wrestling Vlogs.

The fact that Spoony has a higher patreon than a lot of other talented and productive people is very sad.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

KKall posted:

Gotcha. I saw a weird comment Brad made back in April that seemed to imply some kind of dispute between you two and was curious.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

OldMemes posted:

He recently did a live stream for Hand of Fate, and he seemed pretty into that :shrug:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Annointed posted:

Angry Joe released his MGS V review.

Comments are stupid as always but the skits regarding quiet are pretty much everything I could ask for.

"The game has a great checkpoint system"

Joe and I will have to agree to disagree on that fact. Nothing like trying to squeeze out a mission before work then trying to save and quit just to realize not only is there no option for that, but a lot of the checkpoints take you all the way to the beginning of the mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Leal posted:

"The game has a great checkpoint system"

Joe and I will have to agree to disagree on that fact. Nothing like trying to squeeze out a mission before work then trying to save and quit just to realize not only is there no option for that, but a lot of the checkpoints take you all the way to the beginning of the mission.

The game checkpoints when you approach or leave a base.

(There are exceptions in some missions like Backup, back down but those are rare)

• Locked thread