Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Wait, how does 9S know what kids are treated like? It doesn't really sound like these androids mature, per se, they just continually swap consciousness between any number of robot bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

StandardVC10 posted:

Wait, how does 9S know what kids are treated like? It doesn't really sound like these androids mature, per se, they just continually swap consciousness between any number of robot bodies.

Same way Adam knows about the Bible and such, studying/knowledge of ancient human literature and media. Presumably the Androids have a bunch of Data on human culture. 9S also knows what a Mall is after all.

The Matrix and the Terminator have been deemed illegal due to their terribly ludicrous and offensive nature. Alien is mandatory viewing for all members of YorHA.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 18, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The androids really don't wear enough hats

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Am I the only one nervous about what 21O's surprise might turn out to be?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

The Dark Id posted:

<opens communications> Unit 9S, your orders are to hack in to enemy units, not destroy them. Destroyed units will simply be replaced. Attacking is pointless. Try to sneak up behind your foes, keep out of sight, and then... Booooom! Hack ‘em up good.

Especially ironic if like me you got this message after loving up on that suicide bot. (Who's bright idea was it to make a machine whose whole purpose for existence is to blow itself up a vital link in your air defense system anyway?)

Jagged Jim fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 18, 2017

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I fee like Ike’s it’s a big that you get the “mission complete” message before you actually complete the mission. Or it’s poorly written or poorly translated, but it definitely seems like you’re supposed to stop them all at the start.

Oh, and when TDI takes over a stubby so that he can get to the big guy? That’s actually required. If you try to hack the big guy while you’re walking around as 9S it’ll fail and tell you to do it from a hacked machine. Kind of late in the game for a tutorial on hack chaining, especially an optional one, but whatever.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe I didn't think to look for extra 21mom dialog.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I'm a little confused. What exactly did 9S do with a flight unit?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm pretty sure I had no idea you could actually get it to 0%.

9S crashed a Flight Unit into a robot.
Those things are worth the same as a cutting edge fighter jet would be in our money.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I really like the 23% bit. 9S is pretty obviously distracted at the moment, and having the mission cut off like that does a GREAT job of dragging the player into that "so distracted I might forget something super vital" mindset.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

darealkooky posted:

Crashed one into Engels, destroyed 2 more with the missile strike, and kamikaze'd one into that orb machine. Also he keeps modifying his flight unit which pisses command off

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

darealkooky posted:

He's like the John McCain of androids.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Thanks, the updates weren't really making it clear what he did.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
If 9S is just a kid, does that make him 1-Up while 2B is Stinkoman?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

exploded mummy posted:

Please, do not compare the very good boy (and my friend) 9S to John McCain.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
There it was
210 had the best line the game
Boom!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

Please, they're completely different. One of them crashes their aircraft, is captured by the enemy, is an immature showoff, has memory issues, and often suffers from corruption, and the other one is an android.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm pretty sure I had no idea you could actually get it to 0%.

9S crashed a Flight Unit into a robot.
Those things are worth the same as a cutting edge fighter jet would be in our money.

Oh, no, don't be ridiculous.

That's what a YoRHa footslogger costs. Flight units cost ten times as much.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 19, 2017

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's weird that Androids really have a concept of money. Their entire "society" is a strictly dictated military organization. "Paying" your programmed military-bot android soldiers seems.... I dunno, pointless. And if you're not paying them to create an economy, what's the point of money at all.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Schwartzcough posted:

It's weird that Androids really have a concept of money. Their entire "society" is a strictly dictated military organization. "Paying" your programmed military-bot android soldiers seems.... I dunno, pointless. And if you're not paying them to create an economy, what's the point of money at all.

Because humans used money.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
love that last shot of the androids streaking down from the heavens on flight machines

that's gonna end great

yeah

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
It worked pretty well last time. For the factory attack. Sort of. I mean there were survivors.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
They accomplished the mission! With a...0% survival rate, technically.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if YoRHa ever ends up with negative survival rates on some missions. Someone "dies" on a mission, they wake up back at the Bunker, get sent back planetside before the mission is over, and then everyone on the mission, them included, dies. That must not look good during debriefing.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I wonder if YoRHa ever ends up with negative survival rates on some missions. Someone "dies" on a mission, they wake up back at the Bunker, get sent back planetside before the mission is over, and then everyone on the mission, them included, dies. That must not look good during debriefing.

Thanks to a flaw in their programming, recording the survival rate as a negative integer causes it to overflow to the highest possible value. YorHa is very proud of the missions where their unit survival rate is well over 100%.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So for this planned invasion of a major target, as long as anyone besides 2B manages to land they will be ahead of the intro mission.

Also 21O being a caring mom who denies it when called out might be one of the oddest combinations of Japanese character tropes I've seen.

The Dark Id posted:

hotspots...9S needs to sort out ahead of 2B and the other combat oriented androids begin their all-out assault reclaiming the ruins

Or next objective is over on the ruined overpass

As soon as the Serious Sambot is disable, we get a call

The first one has awkward phrasing. I'd suggest "beginning their...assault to reclaim"

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Paging through the FF15 LP, I now want to see Yoko Taro be picked to direct FF16.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Zagglezig posted:

Also 21O being a caring mom who denies it when called out might be one of the oddest combinations of Japanese character tropes I've seen.

I may be reading too much into it, but the contrast to her coldness before gives me the same vibe as those robots in Pascal's village trying to emulate a family after being cut off from the network.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Excellent, now let's go save Earth for the humans! :v:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I may be reading too much into it, but the contrast to her coldness before gives me the same vibe as those robots in Pascal's village trying to emulate a family after being cut off from the network.

You know, this raises the question, why did she stop being a cold professional and transition into mom/mumness? Did she feel so proud of 9S after he helped take out the last major networker operator (Eve) that she decided to be friendlier or what?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

You know, this raises the question, why did she stop being a cold professional and transition into mom/mumness? Did she feel so proud of 9S after he helped take out the last major networker operator (Eve) that she decided to be friendlier or what?

She read about families on YoRHaPedia after 9S sent some photos of random garbage from the desert apartment complex and decided she wanted to be a mom.
Just like how 6O would totally want to be a vet if 2B had bothered to tell her about Animal Loving Machine.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Stephen9001 posted:

She’s fascinated by the concept of family. Some earlier sidequests talked about it briefly. And now she’s apparently decided to try this whole mother thing out.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
This section felt... odd to me, when I played it.

First I kind of feel like the gameplay should've been the start of route B. Like 9S goes through the factory, hacks some dudes, gets in the flight unit to meet up with 2B then does the brief shmup section before Engels fight. It's an introduction/tutorial for 9S's utility hacks, the remote control and subjugation (throw in an objective where you have to subjugate the enemy) so I think if they'd made it more obvious the fun/cool stuff you can do with 9S instead of just combat hacks, playing as him would have been a bit better received. Maybe.

I was also thinking that machine-9S went... somewhere, I dunno, and this 9S we're playing is a fresh unit, which is why 21O is treating him with kid gloves. No comment on whether I was right or not, that's just what I was thinking while playing through.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Stephen9001 posted:

Yeah... it's kind of unsettling.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Oh poo poo, I'm late to ending B. Minor effortpost coming up.

So I mentioned earlier that the Japanese version of the ending song is also an existentialist reference. It's a reference to Gabriel Marcel, mid-20th century French existentialist who coined the term "le monde cassé" - the broken world. Basically, the idea is that the world is "broken", in the sense that it is missing something important and as a result full of crisis and suffering. Marcel is a staunch Christian and so his answer is that what's missing is the transcendental experience of God and therefore reflection and contemplation is the answer to mankind finding itself in this broken world.

It sounds stretching to think of this as a deliberate reference, but this game is laden head to toe with references to existentialism and existentialist philosophers, so I think it is deliberate. Heck, it's arguably the central theme of the entire game up to this point. Nietzsche famously wrote "God is dead". In particular, what he wrote was:

Friedrich Nietzsche posted:

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?

What it's widely understood that meant is that humanity's understanding of the nature has progressed to such a point that the concept of God no longer satisfyingly explains the place of humanity in the world. Furthermore, the rejection of God also results in the inevitable rejection of the morality dictated by religion and even the concept of absolute morality. Nietzsche was worried that humanity thus unmoored from conceptions of absolute morality might succumb to nihilism, believing that without absolute morality there cannot be morality at all and that we are all unconquerably doomed to flounder meaninglessly until our equally meaningless deaths. To be clear, Nietzsche didn't view atheism as incorrect, but he felt strongly that something needed to replace the idea of religious morality, not simply tear it down.

The game so far has shown us two reflections of this struggle. To the androids, humanity was God; to the machine lifeforms, the aliens were God. Their entire existence, their very purpose, circled around their missions to protect or destroy humanity. Well, both their Gods are dead. The machine lifeforms killed theirs; the androids simply failed to keep theirs from dying. Thus unmoored from absolute morality, the two groups basically spend the entire game (and much of the history immediately preceding it) grappling with what it means to live in a world without Gods.

The androids chose to erect an edifice - the YoRHA Project - around their dead Gods and pretend like they were not dead. They're clinging to the absolute morality that no longer exists; Jean-Paul Sartre would have called this "bad faith". The machine lifeforms react in varied ways. Some indeed succumb to nihilism, like the "wise machines" we saw earlier. Others seem happy to be liberated from their purpose and spend endless days in the theme park having fun. At least they found a purpose of their own, which is great; but then there's the opera robot who is practically taken straight the writings of Sartre and Beauvoir as a woman defining herself only through her interaction with males (in this case, suitably, the robot Jean-Paul) and thus living in bad faith. And then there's the cult robots who seem to have taken that Nietzsche quote up there literally and seek to become as gods...

Theres more to come in the next two endings, though...

Um, so quickly back to the song. I greatly prefer the Japanese version to the English one, because the lyrics are so dang much more emotional and really get more into the existentialist core of this game. The singer grapples with the broken world, devoid of purpose, but ends up declaring that even though it's all meaningless, all they wish for is more time to make what they can of it together with the ones they love. I really like it.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

I was also thinking that machine-9S went... somewhere, I dunno, and this 9S we're playing is a fresh unit, which is why 21O is treating him with kid gloves. No comment on whether I was right or not, that's just what I was thinking while playing through.

Didn't he just mention at the start of his section here that, due to this operation, he hasn't had a chance to tell 2B about humanity (or rather, lack thereof) yet? That seems like something only the most up-to-date 9S would know.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Geemer posted:

She read about families on YoRHaPedia after 9S sent some photos of random garbage from the desert apartment complex and decided she wanted to be a mom.
Just like how 6O would totally want to be a vet if 2B had bothered to tell her about Animal Loving Machine.

Attitude Indicator posted:

She's fascinated by the concept of family. Some earlier sidequests talked about it briefly. And now she's apparently decided to try this whole mother thing out.

Hmmm.... this seems possible, but raises the question, would she act like this if the sidequest hadn't been done, or would she have started acting like a mom/mum regardless?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

A good post. I can definitely see the song title being a reference since, as you detail, the game loves its existentialism. We haven’t made it through C though, so I won’t comment further. Agreed about the song though, it’s definitely better than the English one and possibly my favorite of the versions.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Stephen9001 posted:

Hmmm.... this seems possible, but raises the question, would she act like this if the sidequest hadn't been done, or would she have started acting like a mom/mum regardless?

It happens anyway, you just don’t know why if you haven’t done the sidequests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ryushikaze posted:

I don't see them as fascist, even in the battle garb

They're pretty much wearing Nazi helmets dude

• Locked thread