Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phlegmish posted:

The news inspired me to log in and rest, which gave me the following travelogue:

So which is it, did you acquit yourself poorly, or did you stand firm and let none best you? Listen, if nothing of note happened that's fine, you don't need to randomly make poo poo up every time you get back.

On the plus side, someone gave me a Finder's Token, which is quite a nice gift.

She stood firm and let none best her, because she didn't do anything at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think the random nature of those travelogues is because it's picking from a list of descriptors that fit multiple of her journeys. A pawn can travel with like 10 arisens but will only ever have that one summary screen. I wish there was an option to get those broken out per journey, it'd probably be easier to tell how random they are/aren't too

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They call her Fiona "The Rock", immovable object, living fortress, standing firm as countless waves of enemies crash into her. Unfortunately this is less than ideal as she is an archer, leading to her usually getting thrown off a cliff after the first fight

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I’m really glad to hear that the game did so well. I loved the first and am thoroughly enjoying the second.

Is the second game generally considered way easier than the first one? I was wrecking things with drenching and exploding arrows as an archer, and now I switched to warrior and I think I don’t ever need to dodge. Barge into light attacks locks down anything small, and I can just stand right in front of big enemies and spam charged uppercuts while ignoring anything they might do. I love the combat, but I was expecting it to be hard.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

I'm looking forward to Dragon's Dogma: Mercenaries competitive multiplayer spin-off and Dragon's Dogma: Stories, the turn-based JRPG spin-off, together with Dragon's Dogma Now for the mobile.

This, but unironically

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well that wasn't on my bingo card. Maybe this means they'll get a load of cash to develop some BBI-style DLC?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

finally we can get a followup to this tragically unfinished cult classic that will realize its full potential!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Shenmue’s Dogma 3

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

finally we can get a followup to this tragically unfinished cult classic that will realize its full potential!

It'll be another 20% more finished!

Hernemaissi
Aug 5, 2014
By Dragon's Dogma 6 we'll get the true finished experience!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Hernemaissi posted:

As a microtransaction.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Owl Inspector posted:

The cycle of eternal return.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hernemaissi posted:

Hey it worked for Monster Hunter (well they got there faster than 6 but you ever go back and play the first games? It's amazing the series ever became as big as it did)

Hernemaissi
Aug 5, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Hey it worked for Monster Hunter (well they got there faster than 6 but you ever go back and play the first games? It's amazing the series ever became as big as it did)

I still tell my gaming buddies how we used to need paintballs to track monsters in my day and they're like "sure sure, let's get you to bed, old man"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I’m really glad to hear that the game did so well. I loved the first and am thoroughly enjoying the second.

Is the second game generally considered way easier than the first one? I was wrecking things with drenching and exploding arrows as an archer, and now I switched to warrior and I think I don’t ever need to dodge. Barge into light attacks locks down anything small, and I can just stand right in front of big enemies and spam charged uppercuts while ignoring anything they might do. I love the combat, but I was expecting it to be hard.
It might have been a little harder but in the first game food and all other healing items replenished your max health, so there wasn't the same kind of attrition. As long as you had stuff in your inventory you were effectively unkillable.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 11, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

both games have a very similar problem with their difficulties, which is that they're going for weighty, simulationist combat that has a healing system that largely trivializes mistakes. my guess is that it's a concession to make it so that fewer people throw the game out the window in frustration, but it's an oddly clashing bit of design to have the rest of the game be so much about moment-to-moment hostility when you can just mash a hotkey to heal to full any time you're about to die

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
30 hours into the game I'm reminded item shortcuts other than the lantern toggle exist

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How do you set what the items are that you can use with dpad up/down on the quick menu? It always has like a shorefish for one of them.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It picks from shittiest to best, I just offloaded the stuff that can be combined (while I forget about it and leave it to rot) onto my pawn to only have roborants on the dpad

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

both games have a very similar problem with their difficulties, which is that they're going for weighty, simulationist combat that has a healing system that largely trivializes mistakes. my guess is that it's a concession to make it so that fewer people throw the game out the window in frustration, but it's an oddly clashing bit of design to have the rest of the game be so much about moment-to-moment hostility when you can just mash a hotkey to heal to full any time you're about to die

I think the main issue with difficulty boils down more to how damage and defense work and how it scales with level. It starts off with you behind the curve so enemies are tough and hit you like a truck, but since everything scales linearly, as you level up and get better equipment you reach a tipping point where now stuff largely doesn't hurt you and your own damage becomes capable of chunking off multiple health bars with a single attack. This wouldn't be a huge issue overall if the enemy stats in the later areas kept up with the player's growth but they largely don't, so you end up with a thing where the start of the game is when it's at its hardest and the difficulty mostly follows a downward trajectory.

DD1 had this same issue and we'll see if DD2 ever gets a BBI equivalent, where they addressed that problem by just statting the enemies there to still be challenging even to a player with vanilla endgame levels/items.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If anyone's tired of their oxcarts being made of matchsticks & spit and wants to make the cart, ox, driver, and guards invincible, i made a mod to do that!

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/835

Eventually I'm coming back to this to buff the guards' stats and abilities, and maybe give the driver something special

I was inspired to do this after my second cross country oxcart journey in a row ended within spitting distance of the Bakbattahl gates (after 3 hours of riding!) because the number of tough enemies on that route chipped the driver to death.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 16, 2024

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I got the quest to bring food from an elf lady to a dwarf. I took an oxcart from the checkpoint town to bakbattahl, which of course got ambushed at night by an ogre. The ogre was trivial, but the elf lady is missing. It’s night, so I have no idea where her body is, if she died, or even if she got on the ox cart at all. My last inn save was ages ago. What should I do? (Holy poo poo this game is frustrating sometimes.)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I got the quest to bring food from an elf lady to a dwarf. I took an oxcart from the checkpoint town to bakbattahl, which of course got ambushed at night by an ogre. The ogre was trivial, but the elf lady is missing. It’s night, so I have no idea where her body is, if she died, or even if she got on the ox cart at all. My last inn save was ages ago. What should I do? (Holy poo poo this game is frustrating sometimes.)

If she isn't marked with a yellow diamond on the map, check to see if she made it back home to elftown. If she isn't there either, try the morgue in Vernworth.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Ended up just eating the loss of time and loading from my last inn save. I lost a bunch of levels in fighter, but whatever, I’ll just play thief.

By the way, any tips for drakes? They just absolutely take forever to kill and I’m not sure how to deal with them. As a warrior I could just stand in one place and spam the uppercut until they fell over, but as either fighter or mystic spearhand I can’t seem to stagger them and my damage feels super low. I do refuse to use mystic spearhand’s invincibility skill, which I know would trivialize them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

By the way, any tips for drakes? They just absolutely take forever to kill and I’m not sure how to deal with them. As a warrior I could just stand in one place and spam the uppercut until they fell over, but as either fighter or mystic spearhand I can’t seem to stagger them and my damage feels super low. I do refuse to use mystic spearhand’s invincibility skill, which I know would trivialize them.

Bring a Sorcerer.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Bring a Sorcerer.

I hate caster pawns because they block my vision with all the spell effects, and playing a caster seems super boring.

Warrior is also fairly boring, even if it’s satisfying to land those big hits. Mystic spearhand and fighter are both fun, but don’t feel very strong, or at least take a lot more skill. Thief feels like cheating, even without the invincibility move, and while it could be fun, I’m not sure it’s what I really want.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I hate caster pawns because they block my vision with all the spell effects, and playing a caster seems super boring.

Warrior is also fairly boring, even if it’s satisfying to land those big hits. Mystic spearhand and fighter are both fun, but don’t feel very strong, or at least take a lot more skill. Thief feels like cheating, even without the invincibility move, and while it could be fun, I’m not sure it’s what I really want.

Bring a Mage with Ice Boon and Solemnity. Those won't block your vision.
Bring an Archer with Explosive Arrow (don't forget to actually given them a bunch of those too).
As a Mystic Spearhand you should be able to just stand on it's head and whack it until it falls over.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

If you thought Thieves were OP already, there's also a set of ice daggers, the Frosted Edges.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Bring a Mage with Ice Boon and Solemnity. Those won't block your vision.
Bring an Archer with Explosive Arrow (don't forget to actually given them a bunch of those too).
As a Mystic Spearhand you should be able to just stand on it's head and whack it until it falls over.

I think one of my issues is always trying for the heart, when I should be aiming for the head. Still, dealing with all the spells is really annoying. I kept trying to do the big magic blast to knock it out of casting, but it never worked. Slotting solemnity just for drakes feels wasteful, but I guess the easiest thing would be to ignore them unless I slot that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I think one of my issues is always trying for the heart, when I should be aiming for the head. Still, dealing with all the spells is really annoying. I kept trying to do the big magic blast to knock it out of casting, but it never worked. Slotting solemnity just for drakes feels wasteful, but I guess the easiest thing would be to ignore them unless I slot that.

I never felt the need to use Solemnity myself, even though I was playing with a hard mode mod, but I also never had any problems with just making my pawns nuke Drakes out of the air with Hagol, Flare or Maelstrom.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Ended up just eating the loss of time and loading from my last inn save. I lost a bunch of levels in fighter, but whatever, I’ll just play thief.

Boring actual answer: level up. Drakes have bigger numbers, so getting bigger numbers yourself makes them fall in line and take more damage / require less time. Tackling drakes "too early" was probably my biggest use of wakestones and healing items.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Drakes are intended to be a threat that you run away from for like 2/3rds of the game time.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Yeah, just feels weird that I could handle them with fairly minimal hassle at level 30, but with different classes struggle with them at level 40. I guess I haven’t upgraded to the new bakbatahl weapons yet, so I probably need to focus on getting bigger numbers. The thing is I want to try a bunch of different classes and weapons are expensive.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I mean...you're right in that some classes have more trouble dealing with certain threats than other classes. Which is exactly why you have 4 characters.
It's sort of the main premise behind the game.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

the head is usually what i go for on drakes because you can do a lot of damage without also sacrificing stamina to holding on, and a standing heavy attack on a drake head is pretty good. the heart is the target when i've got them actually knocked down on their side

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I mean...you're right in that some classes have more trouble dealing with certain threats than other classes. Which is exactly why you have 4 characters.
It's sort of the main premise behind the game.

I suppose ‘tis so. But it feels like it’s not something where each class has relative strengths and weaknesses, but that balance is sort of all over the place and some classes handle almost everything very easily while others have much bigger gaps in their capabilities.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
As a Spearhand, I deal with drakes almost entirely with Wild Furie. If you don't have Wild Furie yet it's probably too early in the game to fight drakes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, after trying them all it's immediately apparent that warrior and thief are just much much stronger than fighter and spearhand.

Sigurd didn't give me Wild Furie after the fight where you meet him and you can't give him gifts in his seaside house. :(

But since I did get arc of might immediately upon entering Battahl I guess I'll swap back to warrior until I meet him again.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 17, 2024

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I killed my first Drake as a Mystic Spearhand, using Magike Sperepelote (the stamina consuming charge up ranged magic blast) on the heart would usually knock them over and then I would go for the critical strike.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
"Sperepelote" is I think the only Spearhand ability word I still have trouble parsing. At least the upgraded version is just "Speregonne" which is a lot easier to parse.