Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Is there a special field in Star Trek for studying god-like celestial beings?

By the end of Voyager they have dozens if not hundreds of recorded instances of contact with these beings. At some point they have to stop being a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

McSpanky posted:

a sad boy screamed and blew up all the make-us-go rocks in the galaxy

All the ships in the federation blow up, except those of the new romulan members.

Nobody suspects a thing.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

goons when people criticise something they themselves only like for contrarian reasons: goons are suchh nerrdssss lol omgg

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do like someone tried to own goons by saying they only think in video game terms while inthread about Star Trek.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
One time, I had a tantrum at a store and caused a singularity to close. Romulans, I'm willing to talk.
B-)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mr. Prokosch posted:

By the end of Voyager they have dozens if not hundreds of recorded instances of contact with these beings. At some point they have to stop being a surprise.

"Have you ever kicked the poo poo out of Captain James T Kirk?"
"No."
"Have you ever kicked the poo poo out of Admiral James T Kirk?"
"No."
"Then you are no God."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tunicate posted:

All the ships in the federation blow up, except those of the new romulan members.

Nobody suspects a thing.

500 odd years after the Romulans burned down Mars and blew up all the federation's ships.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

See also: Cardassia.

Are the Klingon and Cardassian symbols shaped after their ships?

Or are their ships shaped after their symbols?

:2bong:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

happyhippy posted:

"No."
"No."
"Then you are no God."

Pretty sure Q would out smug Kirk. Calling it now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Astroman posted:

Are the Klingon and Cardassian symbols shaped after their ships?

Or are their ships shaped after their symbols?

:2bong:

Are Dominion ships purple in theme because of the Vorta or do the Vorta have purple eyes because the Founders just really like that colour?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

HopperUK posted:

Are Dominion ships purple in theme because of the Vorta or do the Vorta have purple eyes because the Founders just really like that colour?

It probably is because of the purple eyes. Vorta have lovely vision don't they? So having all their stuff be purple, which they can probably see well, makes sense. The Founders themselves are hands off enough to not really care about the logistics of running the Dominion day to day, although their favourite colour would probably be like... gold-orange whatever you call the colour used when they're liquid.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Does the fact that it wasn't really a theme in Star Trek beforehand and weirdly draped over previously unrelated setting elements make it even more of a Mass Effect rip-off?

Shyrka posted:

It probably is because of the purple eyes. Vorta have lovely vision don't they? So having all their stuff be purple, which they can probably see well, makes sense. The Founders themselves are hands off enough to not really care about the logistics of running the Dominion day to day, although their favourite colour would probably be like... gold-orange whatever you call the colour used when they're liquid.

The Founders sneer at the fact that spaceships have to be made out of rigid metal instead of some kind of jelly.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I feel like every time Starfleet gets really weird and awkward about possible theological implications and kinda just hushes it up as much as they can.

The franchise itself seems like it thinks that it's the natural course of life for people to develop further and further until they somehow jump some kind of step to become godlike energy beings.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Its all just one Q

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

happyhippy posted:

"No."
"No."
"Then you are no God."

But why does God need a starship?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SlothfulCobra posted:

The franchise itself seems like it thinks that it's the natural course of life for people to develop further and further until they somehow jump some kind of step to become godlike energy beings.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

But why does God need a starship?

Jim! You don't ask the Almighty for his ID!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Now I'm thinking that Gary Mitchell should be a regular on Strange New Worlds, always talking about his good friend Jim Kirk on the Farragut and what a great guy he is. His entertaining buddy relationship with Lee Kelso is one of the high points of the show.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You mean the relationship where he strangles Kelso with a cable then brings him back to life again, over and over?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Founders sneer at the fact that spaceships have to be made out of rigid metal instead of some kind of jelly.

Now I really wish the Dominion ships were transformers. Like gelatinous shapechanging bioships are just beyond their technology so they do the best they can with mechanical shapechanging ships.

Just picturing one of the Founders infiltrating Starfleet HQ and seeing an Intrepid class's folding nacelles and nodding.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shyrka posted:

Now I really wish the Dominion ships were transformers. Like gelatinous shapechanging bioships are just beyond their technology so they do the best they can with mechanical shapechanging ships.

Just picturing one of the Founders infiltrating Starfleet HQ and seeing an Intrepid class's folding nacelles and nodding.

Turns out the intrepid was designed by a changeling infiltrator

the moving nacelles don't actually do anything but everyone assumed someone else knew what they were for

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

nine-gear crow posted:

Jim! You don't ask the Almighty for his ID!

I love how they encounter and defeat hundreds of "god-like" beings throughout TOS, but when they stumble upon and defeat this one other being that's believed to be god (by like 5 people) McCoy gets all disillusioned and he's all like "wow, I guess there really is no God, mind blown"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
In an alternate universe, Voyager goes the opposite direction and makes it to the Gamma quadrant wormhole, only to be immediately blown to hell by Rom’s mines.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

I love how they encounter and defeat hundreds of "god-like" beings throughout TOS, but when they stumble upon and defeat this one other being that's believed to be god (by like 5 people) McCoy gets all disillusioned and he's all like "wow, I guess there really is no God, mind blown"

Well he is from Georgia.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

HD DAD posted:

In an alternate universe, Voyager goes the opposite direction and makes it to the Gamma quadrant wormhole, only to be immediately blown to hell by Rom’s mines.

And nothing was lost.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Binary Badger posted:

You mean the relationship where he strangles Kelso with a cable then brings him back to life again, over and over?

"That's our Gary!" *freeze-frame to credits*

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Well, by analogy to astrology/astronomy, why not just call it theonomy? I really like the idea of an academic type going around classifying and analysing the various types of space gods in a casual and slightly boring way that you would expect from an entomologist. I especially like the mental image of Q pinned in a display case like a butterfly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BonHair posted:

Well, by analogy to astrology/astronomy, why not just call it theonomy? I really like the idea of an academic type going around classifying and analysing the various types of space gods in a casual and slightly boring way that you would expect from an entomologist. I especially like the mental image of Q pinned in a display case like a butterfly.
For the most part these entities get presented as Super-Evolved Beings in a way which has largely fallen out of fashion in favor of an ever-increasing series of Space George W. Bushes, and I think they would probably not get tagged as gods internally to Starfleet. But they would probably have some kind of name and categorization and have probably taken notes on the various deflector dish modulations that might bail you out if one of them comes gunning for you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Starfleet never seems very concerned that a being wiped out an entire race and is I believe still sitting in Federation territory

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Starfleet never seems very concerned that a being wiped out an entire race and is I believe still sitting in Federation territory

What would they even do about it? I
Beyond just putting up a couple of warning beacons broadcasting "Seriously, stay away!"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD6KJNpOLJI

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

What should they do about it, bomb him harder? Extraordinary rendition him to a black site so they can put worms in his ears and make him retroactively exterminate the Cardassians?

Buoys saying "STAY AWAY FROM THIS SYSTEM" seem like a good plan.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FlamingLiberal posted:

Who is this?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Who is this?

Kevin Uxbridge

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Everything and everyone just keeps owning Worf and it's kinda sad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

seems like a good poison pill in case the borg or some other rear end in a top hat race invades.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tunicate posted:

seems like a good poison pill in case the borg or some other rear end in a top hat race invades.
Yeah they should have at least tried to see if Kevin would take out the Borg for them

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah they should have at least tried to see if Kevin would take out the Borg for them

Am I the only one here weirded out by how one of the most power beings in all of Star Trek is a guy named Kevin?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There are so many godlike beings just chilling in Federation space. Kevin, Trelane's parents, the Organians, the Thasians, the Metrons, Nagilum, that glowing guy Beverly liked...

Starfleet really should try to get at least one of them on their side. Failing that, just keep throwing people through the galactic barrier and hope at least one doesn't turn into an rear end in a top hat godlike being.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think going up to the pacifist who lives wracked with guilt about the horrible thing he did and asking him to do the same horrible thing again might be a stupid idea, especially when that horrible thing was "deleted an entire species from their interstellar national territory."

Now if you asked Uxbridge to "protect us from the Borg," or to do something neutral to protect you from the Borg, he might happily oblige. But then you may run into the additional layer of bullshit where Q thinks this is a failure condition, and on a philosophical level at some point you are just asking Kevin Uxbridge to be God for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I just recently discovered the kardashev scale, and I love thinking about it in the context of sci-fi. Maybe all the God-like beings were actually some type 3 or higher civilization, whose technology, and way of thinking would likely be beyond human comprehension.

Q was the equivalent of an angsty teen vacationing in a distant part of the galaxy for a few days, and he just happened to meet a fun distraction like Picard