Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I just realized that Deadpool and Daredevil, the only Marevel books I've been reading lately with absolutely zero reservations, have followed a similar arc: an uncharacteristic high note for the protagonist followed by waiting for the other shoe to drop...

I think Wade probably got off easier by dying with his friends and family at the end of the world as opposed to Matt having to deal with this Shroud bullshit for another issue and watching his relationships be dismantled and having an internet sex tape and then having to go to loving Kingpin for help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't that a broken record for them by now? I feel like Fisk's response to seeing Daredevil should be "What did you gently caress up this time?"

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

My dad reported to me that my mother really enjoys the Daredevil Netflix show, but she keeps saying "This isn't what comics are like!" rather incredulously. So for Mother's Day, I was hoping to get her a few of the definitive Daredevil TPBs and maybe a Jessica Jones one to prep her for the next Netflix series. What do you guys recommend?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
That's actually a really hard question. If my mom expressed some interest in reading a daredevil comic, I would probably give her Waid's first trade, because I think that would be easier to follow. Bendis's or Brubaker's are much closer to the tone of the show though. As for Jessica Jones I'm not sure what you'd get her other than Alias, and I'm not sure you want to give your mom a MAX book.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Strontosaurus posted:

My dad reported to me that my mother really enjoys the Daredevil Netflix show, but she keeps saying "This isn't what comics are like!" rather incredulously. So for Mother's Day, I was hoping to get her a few of the definitive Daredevil TPBs and maybe a Jessica Jones one to prep her for the next Netflix series. What do you guys recommend?

Man Without Fear is what the show is mostly based on. Beginnings of Daredevil and Kingpin and using the black costume a lot (and is very good). A lot of the great stuff is in the OP. Man Without Fear is the definitive origin and Born Again is the definitive ending both by Frank Miller with Romita Jr. and Mazzuchelli on art.

Outside of those if your Mom doesn't really read comics I would suggest the Bendis run; Daredevil vol. 2 #16-19, 26-50, 56-8. Short answer being Matt's identity is outed to the public and things spiral from there. It's also totally like the show and I'd say visually the show takes a lot from the run. It has "modern" art style too if she isn't used to comics art.

Jessica Jones entire arc exists in Alias which the show is going to adapt. It's heavy on the violence, sex and swearing.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Man Without Fear is what the show is mostly based on. Beginnings of Daredevil and Kingpin and using the black costume a lot (and is very good). A lot of the great stuff is in the OP. Man Without Fear is the definitive origin and Born Again is the definitive ending both by Frank Miller with Romita Jr. and Mazzuchelli on art.

Outside of those if your Mom doesn't really read comics I would suggest the Bendis run; Daredevil vol. 2 #16-19, 26-50, 56-8. Short answer being Matt's identity is outed to the public and things spiral from there. It's also totally like the show and I'd say visually the show takes a lot from the run. It has "modern" art style too if she isn't used to comics art.

Jessica Jones entire arc exists in Alias which the show is going to adapt. It's heavy on the violence, sex and swearing.

Is #16-19 the stuff with Mack? I maybe wouldn't recommend that because I can see it easily turning someone off immediately.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Call me the Man Without Fear because I just bought my daughter-of-a-reverend mom a MAX book. :madmax:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

It's pretty funny reading the v2 daredevil. Everyone has those old colorful macs.

Edit: oh my a Clinton and Lewinsky joke.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 7, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ramadu posted:

It's pretty funny reading the v2 daredevil. Everyone has those old colorful macs.

Edit: oh my a Clinton and Lewinsky joke.

Is it issues 1-8 as that's Smith's run.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Gaz-L posted:

I'm pretty sure DeKnight was the defacto showrunner on Angel for the last couple of years, if I remember right?
Nah, that was Tim Minear and Jeffrey Bell, they took over when David Greenwalt left.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Senor Candle posted:

As for Jessica Jones I'm not sure what you'd get her other than Alias, and I'm not sure you want to give your mom a MAX book.

Not Punisher or Deadpool MAX, but I don't see why Alias wouldn't be okay if she's already down for the show.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah the Alias comic isn't really any worse than the Daredevil show in terms of content.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wellll there is the anal sex.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah the Alias comic isn't really any worse than the Daredevil show in terms of content.

The art is very, very rough.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

Wellll there is the anal sex.

According to Bendis ~no there isn't~

Endless Mike posted:

With physical violence sure but Alias has A LOT of sexual violence in it and Purple Man is more disturbing than even Daredevil TV Kingpin is.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
So my boyfriend knows that the Daredevil TV show has renewed my interest in the comic, and he got me a gift: the issue from August 1981, the month I was born (he does this sort of thing). It's #178. I read all of Daredevil a few years ago, but I did it really quickly and have forgotten a lot of stuff, and I was genuinely surprised by the plotline - which he obviously did not know or he wouldn't have gifted it to me. It involves Melvin Potter being revealed as not just a murder but a rapist. Which is just, let me say, a fantastic thing to find out now that the Daredevil TV fandom is sperging over Melvin being so sweet and how proud they are that the show has a "neurodivergent" character.

I mean, I assume they're not going that as canon on the show, but drat, I wish I didn't know that about the Gladiator.

Good issue, though. Frank Miller's got a lot of stuff going on.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

dj_clawson posted:

So my boyfriend knows that the Daredevil TV show has renewed my interest in the comic, and he got me a gift: the issue from August 1981, the month I was born (he does this sort of thing). It's #178. I read all of Daredevil a few years ago, but I did it really quickly and have forgotten a lot of stuff, and I was genuinely surprised by the plotline - which he obviously did not know or he wouldn't have gifted it to me. It involves Melvin Potter being revealed as not just a murder but a rapist. Which is just, let me say, a fantastic thing to find out now that the Daredevil TV fandom is sperging over Melvin being so sweet and how proud they are that the show has a "neurodivergent" character.

I mean, I assume they're not going that as canon on the show, but drat, I wish I didn't know that about the Gladiator.

Good issue, though. Frank Miller's got a lot of stuff going on.

Um...did you finish reading the issue before you got outraged? Because I vaguely remembered it when you brought it up and I went back and rechecked it and it's as I remembered- i.e. Melvin didn't rape Becky, it's the villain of that particular issue who happens to look exactly like Melvin and who's been pinning the crimes on him.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

dj_clawson posted:

Maybe you didn't know, but often, the story will continue all the way to the end of the issue!

From marvel.wikia.com:
"A lady killer is roaming the streets and he looks exactly like Melvin Potter. Daredevil tracks down the man responsible for crippling Becky and clears the Gladiator. "

You also got the issue # wrong (it's 173).

Otherwise, excellent summation!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 15, 2015

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I skim books, but I really need to stop skimming comics.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
And the new writer is..

*drum roll*

..Charles Soule.

This should suprise nobody, a few of his books were ending and he is a lawyer irl.

He is a kick rear end writer, huge fan of his Red Lanterns run.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I just read his She-Hulk this week and it was one of the best things I've read in ages.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

May as well post the cover/promo.

People are speculating that the new guy will be a reincarnation of Stick. It's not Gambit like people first said.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

tbh I really enjoyed the focus on cases in Soule's She-Hulk, so I'm down for his Daredevil if it gets a similar look-in (which you have to assume it will).

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Forget She-hulk and Red Lanterns, which are both decent, Soule absolutely killed it on Swamp Thing- it's his best big 2 work by far imo.

I love daredevil so I'm really up for this.

I'll theorise that the apprentice is Timmy from Wake Up/End of Days.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
His new costume looks super lovely on that cover.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Soule interview:

http://www.avclub.com/article/daredevils-new-sidekick-and-status-quo-221786

Secret identity is back (sigh), back in New York, Matt is now an ADA.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the secret identity being back. I thought that Murdock as a public celebrity was much more interesting.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Back to new york and back to the secret identity? I'm already bored. not going to pick it up unless it gets rave reviews.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah every time Daredevil has been set in New York and Matt has had a secret identity it's been total bullshit.:rolleyes: Did you guys seriously think this time was going to be the time his outing stuck?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
All I want from Soule on Daredevil is 12 issues of procedurally accurate litigation with an artist I can tolerate (sorry She-Hulk).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah every time Daredevil has been set in New York and Matt has had a secret identity it's been total bullshit.:rolleyes: Did you guys seriously think this time was going to be the time his outing stuck?

It has been almost 15 years since the outing. However, they have gotten to a point where he could not practice law due to him revealing his identity. Having Soule and having him not practice law is a waste.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Can someone explain why Matt having a secret identity and being back in New York means it's going to be bad? It has kind of sucked since the relaunch anyway so it's not like being outed and not in New York magically makes the book good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm really interested in his crime fighting apprentice after reading that interview. That's a character that Soule is going to nail. I have no problems with the secret identity being back. It lasted longer than anyone ever thought it would. It was a fresh change up and and with this last arc I think Waid has taken the concept to the end of its conceivable believability. Something has to change after this arc because the character has been backed into the last corner with that plotline.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

Can someone explain why Matt having a secret identity and being back in New York means it's going to be bad? It has kind of sucked since the relaunch anyway so it's not like being outed and not in New York magically makes the book good.

Actually the book has still been good since he moved to SF.

EDIT: Wait, are you saying that Daredevil has been bad the whole time Waid has been on it?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Senor Candle posted:

Actually the book has still been good since he moved to SF.

EDIT: Wait, are you saying that Daredevil has been bad the whole time Waid has been on it?
No, Waid's run has been brilliant, it has just been losing steam a little since the move to SF.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Matt being an ADA is a concept that I'm shocked hasn't been done before. I mean, I think he and Foggy have been deputised into that sort of role on occasion, but I don't think either has worked directly for the DA's office before.
One thing that that interview doesn't mention is any characters from the prior run except Matt himself, which could be lame.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

No, Waid's run has been brilliant, it has just been losing steam a little since the move to SF.

Oh ok I can totally understand that then.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Editorial mandates changing things to match TV/Films is always dumb (even if the Daredevil TV show is really good) and the Daredevil getting his secret identity thing is a pre-Soule getting hired change so it's not just so he can tell lawyer stories.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Senor Candle posted:

Considering they've apparently committed to bringing in Miles, a Female Thor & Wolverine, and a black Captain America, I sort of hoped so.

Waterhaul posted:

Editorial mandates changing things to match TV/Films is always dumb (even if the Daredevil TV show is really good) and the Daredevil getting his secret identity thing is a pre-Soule getting hired change so it's not just so he can tell lawyer stories.
Yeah, especially since (aside from..ugh...Skye in SHIELD, and I say that as someone who actually likes her TV incarnation) they've apparently doubled down on a lineup of heroes that's distinct from the cinematic versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

irlZaphod posted:

It might be great it just doesn't grab me like the San Fran move and embracing the lack of a secret identity did.

And I'm really not that interested in grounded in reality lawyering.

• Locked thread