Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

zer0spunk posted:

Alternatively, though, they have more access to a century of music and film than any generation before them. The closest thing I have to that feeling is being on the tail end of having to look things up in actual encyclopedias for answers, supplanted by internet searches pretty quickly.
Many, many movies made it to VHS. A lot more made it to DVD but not streaming. I'm betting my millennial kids had access to a lot more non-blockbuster movies than kids today. Who's bothering to clandestinely stream the first movie version of The Maltese Falcon, iirc Satan Was a Lady? Netflix DVDs catered to the long trail. Netflix streaming does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Many, many movies made it to VHS. A lot more made it to DVD but not streaming. I'm betting my millennial kids had access to a lot more non-blockbuster movies than kids today. Who's bothering to clandestinely stream the first movie version of The Maltese Falcon, iirc Satan Was a Lady? Netflix DVDs catered to the long trail. Netflix streaming does not.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/satan-met-a-lady

They can rent it for 3 bucks, whereas you and I would have had to track that thing down in our heyday. I would have lost my mind as a young cinephile if I had this kind of access..I was in college by the time bittorrent made p2p obscure rips even a thing, let alone any legal channels of ownership or rental.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thank you for letting me know about justwatch! I will be using it a lot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Heh, blasts. Because the girl robot has a blaster cannon and uses it liberally.

The fun of Wall-E is that the robots are radically indifferent to their assigned gender roles. Why isn't it that Wall-E is 'the girl robot'? Or what if the very attempt to classify them that way is kinda ridiculous?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my dad is a crotchety 70 year old grump and he loved the movie

he was absolutely adamant against seeing it when I asked him if he would like to go see it, but eventually relented for some reason and we went and saw it today. what a blast, just a wild ride basically the whole way through. loved the complete ridiculousness of it all. Definitely going to take my mom to go see it, I think she will absolutely adore it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Saw this yesterday. I thought it was a reasonably fun movie, especially the Ken song. My wife thought it was extremely shallow, had uninteresting takes on society, and wasn't funny.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ccs posted:

Saw this yesterday. I thought it was a reasonably fun movie, especially the Ken song. My wife thought it was extremely shallow, had uninteresting takes on society, and wasn't funny.

I kind of had the same experience this weekend. I think my wife was overhyped for it because people have been saying the movie will change your life or something, which isn’t a very fair expectation to have going into a barbie doll picture I don’t think

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'm just super pissed that Barbieland is portrayed inaccurately due to the "it's all in Gloria's head" conceit.

In actuality, Barbie's got a shitload of brothers and sisters, and her various friends all have their own names. There's like a hundred unique characters - not just dozens of Kens and an Allan. Gloria doesn't know the lore!!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Bendable Brad will never be able to run for office.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm just super pissed that Barbieland is portrayed inaccurately due to the "it's all in Gloria's head" conceit.

Thats a heck of a thing to be super pissed about.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Drunkboxer posted:

I kind of had the same experience this weekend. I think my wife was overhyped for it because people have been saying the movie will change your life or something, which isn’t a very fair expectation to have going into a barbie doll picture I don’t think

Yeah, I went in with the expectation that it was going to be mildly interesting and I got my dollars worth. I would call this movie fun and good but overhyping it would be well, too much.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think once this hits streaming it'll get more of a in the middle response, but I'm glad it did well in general (not for WBD, but for greta)

I'm dreading the toy tie-in cinematic universe that always follows when anything makes a profit

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

In actuality, Barbie's got a shitload of brothers and sisters, and her various friends all have their own names. There's like a hundred unique characters - not just dozens of Kens and an Allan. Gloria doesn't know the lore!!!
Hey, Growing Up Skipper made the cut!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The only person I know who hasn't liked it was my Mum who said "it was too weird. Funny, but too weird", but she's always had an aversion to anything that has that po-mo maximalist look.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

AndyElusive posted:

Thats a heck of a thing to be super pissed about.

indeed.

Ccs posted:

brutal. one and two i have no real problems with (though I think shallow is the wrong word, if anything the movie is way overthought, which leads to number two which again, I don't think it's uninteresting it's just wrongheaded) but not funny at all? it takes all kinds i guess.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
One of my younger (Gen Z) friends said she didn’t like it because it was too hard on men, and she couldn’t relate to it because most of the men her age are not so bad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It definitely seems like it is targeted towards millennials.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

It definitely seems like it is targeted towards millennials.

For sure. Gloria is the audience surrogate, and most of the jokes are 90’s jokes

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Halisnacks posted:

One of my younger (Gen Z) friends said she didn’t like it because it was too hard on men, and she couldn’t relate to it because most of the men her age are not so bad.

Hopefully someone will mansplain to her why she's wrong.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I mean, yeah: Greta Gerwig is a 40-year-old white woman and her output speaks to that. It's not that surprising.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Halisnacks posted:

Guess the kids actually are all right. :toot:

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Eason the Fifth posted:

Guess the kids actually are all right. :toot:

The issue at hand is that, even if we somehow resolve the gender wars, we will still be "in the poo poo", so to speak.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

Hopefully someone will mansplain to her why she's wrong.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

indeed.

brutal. one and two i have no real problems with (though I think shallow is the wrong word, if anything the movie is way overthought, which leads to number two which again, I don't think it's uninteresting it's just wrongheaded) but not funny at all? it takes all kinds i guess.

Sense of humor difference probably results from her growing up in a different culture.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I just think that Emma Mackey should be in every Margot Robbie movie going forward and visa versa.

Edit: Why is the entire cast of Sex Education in this movie?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 3, 2023

Trent
Sep 3, 2023

The characters in Rogue One are killing Nazis fr. Like, they’re not pretending.

Y’all ever seen the Hunger Games movies?

SMG, what is your take or analysis on the Hunger Games movies?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Trent posted:

SMG, what is your take or analysis on the Hunger Games movies?

Not much of a take: they’re good. As self-aware and straightforwardly literal as Barbie, but with actual left-of-centre politics.

Only Mockingjay Part 1 is a truly great film, but that third one is fuckin’ wild, man - a compelling blockbuster sci-fi movie, without any major action scenes, about making revolutionary agitprop.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Hunger Games are kinda funny for being used as go-to examples of the supposedly lazy and juvenile YA dystopia genre, but compared to drat near every other example of the genre and its stablemates they seem pretty solid. The whole point is that the social divisions are arbitrary and only exist as a means of social control, and the presentation as a mix of gladiatorial games and reality TV making lurid entertainment out of the lower classes literally forced to fight for survival, with the survivors being made celebrities while suffering trauma and alienation, has aged all too well.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The Hunger Games gets the YA-dystopia-killer shorthand because Divergent was so poo poo everyone has chosen to forget it.

I even had to google ‘ya killer’ for the tumblr post that says as much to get the name again.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Divergent: where your personality defines your entire life and career and it’s simply unfathomable for people to be both brave and smart. Being a farmer is also a personality.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Athletic Footjob posted:

It’s simply unfathomable for people to be both brave and smart. Being a farmer is also a personality.

It worked for Harry Potter

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

There’s usually a paradox in labelling something ‘pretentious’, because the word is basically a synonym for incompetence. Like, if you’re claiming that you have something very meaningful to say, but it turns out to be wrong.

The way to understand the use of "pretentious" in casual online criticism is to take the etymological root, "praetendo", as in to pretend. It's seen that something is pretending to be something else, to let something sinister slip through under the guise. "There was a catastrophic failure in making the movie that stops it from being good, so it was covered up from being seen as a failed movie by being pretentious", etc.

It's the usual obsession about directors, companies, individuals behind the scenes to avoid engaging with the thing itself.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Total Meatlove posted:

The Hunger Games gets the YA-dystopia-killer shorthand because Divergent was so poo poo everyone has chosen to forget it.

I even had to google ‘ya killer’ for the tumblr post that says as much to get the name again.

Whereas Barry Lyga's YA book "I Hunt Killers" was pretty good.

*notices which thread this is*

And, uh, I'm sure at least some of the Kens would dig it!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Hunger Games are kinda funny for being used as go-to examples of the supposedly lazy and juvenile YA dystopia genre, but compared to drat near every other example of the genre and its stablemates they seem pretty solid. The whole point is that the social divisions are arbitrary and only exist as a means of social control, and the presentation as a mix of gladiatorial games and reality TV making lurid entertainment out of the lower classes literally forced to fight for survival, with the survivors being made celebrities while suffering trauma and alienation, has aged all too well.

It followed both Stephen Kings Long Walk and Battle Royale, which is the biggest issue. Both sides of what the book/movies covered are in those movies and both are well received. Hunger Games is fine, but it will always invite a comparison.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Saw this with my mom on Labor Day and had a wonderful time. :) Normally when a movie is in its second month there are only going to be a couple other groups but I was surprised that the theater was almost half full. Assorted comments: Ryan Gosling and to an extent Michael Cera actually have a lot less screentime than I expected. The movie is extremely tongue-in-cheek about a near total return to the status quo being the "happy ending" so I don't get where that criticism is coming from unless this is the modern internet form of criticism where fiction needs to portray the ideal society or else it promotes bad values or whatever. The Ken's demeaning treatment of the Barbies being sexual but not quite (making them all switch into skimpy maid outfits and serve beers) is weird and uncomfortable, but it's kind of appropriate that Ken's concept of masculinity is like a child's idea of a manly man. Finally: is there anything I'm not getting about the running joke about nobody being able to understand the concept of walls? Allan can't jump a fence, Will Ferrel can't get over the cubical wall, the construction Kens can't build horizontally...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mycot posted:

Finally: is there anything I'm not getting about the running joke about nobody being able to understand the concept of walls? Allan can't jump a fence, Will Ferrel can't get over the cubical wall, the construction Kens can't build horizontally...
I feel that might have something to do with how dollhouses usually don't have full actual walls, or at least open up so you can actually play with them. Like say, look at your typical Barbie Dreamhouse playset. In their world, walls exist as backdrops, not barriers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel that might have something to do with how dollhouses usually don't have full actual walls, or at least open up so you can actually play with them. Like say, look at your typical Barbie Dreamhouse playset. In their world, walls exist as backdrops, not barriers.

See I would accept that no question if it was just the dolls but that bit with Will Ferrell made me pause because he's not a doll, he's human. Maybe this is a parallel meant to show that the Kens are based on real men, but then Allan does it too even though he's not a Ken...I may be overthinking this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mycot posted:

See I would accept that no question if it was just the dolls but that bit with Will Ferrell made me pause because he's not a doll, he's human. Maybe this is a parallel meant to show that the Kens are based on real men, but then Allan does it too even though he's not a Ken...I may be overthinking this.

Yeah, I was wondering about that bit. Maybe it is indeed just a bit to demonstrate that he's not so different from a Ken, and/or maintain a running gag.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I took the inability of men to overcome walls as an issue that girls don't play with Ken dolls like they do with Barbies; they're more or less accessories and are not played with as much.

Will Farrell & the Mattel board members also not being able to go over obstacles may also be if you follow the "this is from Gloria's perspective" theory.

Or it's just a funny running joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

It worked for Harry Potter

It did work for Harry Potter because it was more for flavour, community and competition purposes rather than changing their entire lives forever.