Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Also, I am not a magnetologist, but I can attest neodymium magnets can be a hell of a thing to store and handle. I presume those will have to be powerful enough to influence the compass at considerable distances; if so, you DO NOT want them loose (as shown, not much affixes them to the insides of the bases save for those stretch-goal indicator rings). The bastards take any slightest opportunity to slam together and chip / break / pinch your fingertips quite painfully. Not to mention you absolutely DO NOT want them loose AND anywhere near children (see GEOMAG recalls).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I thought neodymium magnets weren't allowed to be sold as toys, period?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Leraika posted:

I thought neodymium magnets weren't allowed to be sold as toys, period?

More like "they are actively trying to make it so".

Henker
May 5, 2009

I briefly looked at The Faceless and while I think creepy rear end deer skull monsters are rad as hell, the game looked way too gimmicky for my tastes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I hope the Miskatonic University KS makes it to $100,000. That sweet book style box stretch goal they’ve just introduced is lovely. Facade Games does them for theirs, and they look great.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Henker posted:

I briefly looked at The Faceless and while I think creepy rear end deer skull monsters are rad as hell, the game looked way too gimmicky for my tastes.

Every minis game that comes out should have a minis-only tier. If your game looks boring but your sculpts look rad, give people the chance to buy just the bits they want.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

senrath posted:

No? He's saying that the only thing that backers of Alas, Vegas are waiting on is their free copy of Far West.
Oooh, OK. I must have had my reading eyes in backwards.

Except actually there's still bits of Alas Vegas not shipped - there was a tie-in novel for instance.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The_Doctor posted:

I hope the Miskatonic University KS makes it to $100,000. That sweet book style box stretch goal they’ve just introduced is lovely. Facade Games does them for theirs, and they look great.

Think you are going to get your wish. It was on my reminder and I jumped. 2000 left to go

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Tempted by Miskatonic University, as well as The Forbidden City, as well as Empyreal... :ohdear:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Man I hope Empyreal comes to retail. I just don't wanna do a kickstarter right now. gently caress.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

S.J. posted:

Man I hope Empyreal comes to retail. I just don't wanna do a kickstarter right now. gently caress.

Same tbh.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

S.J. posted:

Level 99 Games posted:

Empyreal is a very big game—the most expensive production we have ever done. For this reason, our plans for an initial print run are very limited. Unless we reach certain backer counts, we are not planning a retail release of Empyreal (effectively making the entire game Kickstarter-limited).

So, only if they get enough backers, I guess?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That's kind of unusual for a Level 99 game, isn't it? I'm fairly certain you can buy Argent at retail, how much bigger is Empyreal going to be compared to that? Argent is already almost stupidly huge in terms of component count and table footprint, to its detriment really (it's a good game but drat does it take up a lot of space).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

malkav11 posted:

So, only if they get enough backers, I guess?

Looks like it. Which is a bummer, but I can't say I blame them.

Kai Tave posted:

That's kind of unusual for a Level 99 game, isn't it? I'm fairly certain you can buy Argent at retail, how much bigger is Empyreal going to be compared to that? Argent is already almost stupidly huge in terms of component count and table footprint, to its detriment really (it's a good game but drat does it take up a lot of space).

They said the game is like 10 pounds, so half of a Gloomhaven. Not sure how Argent squares up, but I feel like it's the maps that are the big difference.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

S.J. posted:

They said the game is like 10 pounds, so half of a Gloomhaven.

Gloomhaven was almost 30 pounds, so more of a third of a Gloomhaven. But still kind of ridiculous.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

malkav11 posted:

Gloomhaven was almost 30 pounds, so more of a third of a Gloomhaven. But still kind of ridiculous.

Gloomhaven was about 22 pounds. I received 24 of them :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bombadilillo posted:

Think you are going to get your wish. It was on my reminder and I jumped. 2000 left to go

It did! :toot:

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Tempted by Miskatonic University, as well as The Forbidden City, as well as Empyreal... :ohdear:

I feel like it’s been a really good month or so for KS games. I’ve not spent this much on here in a while.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Decided to back Miskatonic University at the last minute. I can't see myself regretting that purchase - I don't have too many games that fill that niche, and I'm somehow still a sucker for Lovecraft themed stuff.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

S.J. posted:

Gloomhaven was about 22 pounds. I received 24 of them :v:

How exactly does one store 24 copies of Gloomhaven?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

grassy gnoll posted:

Wherever one wants!

wait was that not a joke

I assume in a backroom in a game store or something like that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

We split them between two locations. I work at a game store.

Also: awkwardly, even with storage space available.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm just thinking that ballparking it, I could probably stack nine or ten Gloomhavens on top of each other in my living room, but then crush pressures might be a legit problem for the bottom couple of copies.

Do most game stores actually have back rooms? The ones I've frequented sometimes have a bathroom, and then you're looking at the entirety of the stock out on the shelves.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If you alternate layers of Gloomhaven and Ogre DE, you might get something a little more stable, until the ground breaks and they fall into the abyss.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

All board games should be measured in Gw (Gloomhaven-weights).

Bonus: measure total play length in Gloomhavens as well.

Henker
May 5, 2009

How many Gw is Cthulhu Wars? My FLGS had a couple in stock and man that was a heavy box.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Henker posted:

How many Gw is Cthulhu Wars? My FLGS had a couple in stock and man that was a heavy box.

The core? About 12 lbs, so about 1/2 Gw.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

S.J. posted:

We split them between two locations. I work at a game store.

Also: awkwardly, even with storage space available.

What is the price in a game store?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

What is the price in a game store?

MSRP is 140

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

grassy gnoll posted:

Do most game stores actually have back rooms? The ones I've frequented sometimes have a bathroom, and then you're looking at the entirety of the stock out on the shelves.

Both the ones near me have a back room. I've never seen the one at Tabletop, but the one at Pulp Fiction is literally just the size of a medium walk-in closet where they keep backstock of fast movers like magic booster boxes, a couple copies of perennial favs like Catan and TtR, etc. Its obviously nothing like a Walmart backroom, but they do have some backstock.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

S.J. posted:

MSRP is 140

Thank you, not a bad price for a brick and mortar store.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Where did this Skull Tales: Full Sail! game come from? It launched last night and it's already at $250k. It looks kinda neat. I'm not going to back it - I can't see myself or my group wanting to commit to another campaign game like this anytime soon but I'm honestly a little tempted despite it doing everything I hate about Kickstarter games (52 miniatures, "more than" 300 cards, "more than" 200 tokens, etc.).

But hey, a semi-cooperative pirate game with distinct seafaring, adventuring, and port phases might be cool if I had more time to devote to it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
32mm. My interest withered and died right there.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Loomer posted:

32mm. My interest withered and died right there.

I wish I could say I disagreed. It's not completely fair but all the same seeing it first thing on any campaign page will always put me on the back foot these days.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
As someone that does not touch or care about miniatures, what's bad about 32mm? Too small?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

As someone that does not touch or care about miniatures, what's bad about 32mm? Too small?

Too large, basically. Most stuff is scaled for 28mm, if it's based around individual heroic dudes, because that's what warhammer used. So if you try and use these miniatures for any game (either RPG or as proxies for wargaming) they will be comically large next to the other minis

S.J.
May 19, 2008

A ton of Warhammer stuff is way closer to 32mm than actual 28mm. Warmachine is 32mm and they aren't that far off from each other.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

S.J. posted:

A ton of Warhammer stuff is way closer to 32mm than actual 28mm. Warmachine is 32mm and they aren't that far off from each other.

Modern warhammer definitely has size creep that brings it above true 28mm, but most other miniatures stuff is still based around the claimed 28mm including a lot of dungeon terrain that people use

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sure, but I've never had a problem mixing and matching the two, personally. I don't think the differences are all that pronounced, and at least with RPG stuff it's really just fancy tokens anyway.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

I collect 1/72, or 20mm, and a big selling point for me on board games is interoperability with my existing collection since even if I don't dig the game I can reuse the models if they're good, for instance the Age of Mythology board game is a great source of cheap fantasy critters for my chosen scale as well as being a fun game. 32mm doesn't sound like much, but it's actually a really big mini by hobby standards. Take Warhammer, for instance - they're ostensibly 28mm, as is a lot of the market. So 32mm is a bit of a problem for a lot of collectors, because it's a scale that isn't super common which means you can't snag a piece from the box if you like the look and just slip them in your armies/dioramas/whatever or they'll look like giants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

but her extra four millimeters