Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sash! posted:

Sloan also had an avenue to lie in a way that would have completely defeated Bashir too: tell him that the morphogenic virus was derived from the Telpan blight. Bashir would not take it well, given that the Telpan blight was a major failure on his part.

Except that Bashir would be able to tell that that was bullshit since he had studied both diseases extensively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

In the future Starfleet intelligence still has rules to follow, whereas section 31 can go around kidnapping people, murdering them, couping governments, genocide, with Starfleet maintaining complete deniability. Bashir and sisko clearly see this as wrong, but at the same time, they aren't going to give the cure to their genocidal virus away for free

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I've always assumed Spacedock is mostly hollow all the way down the tube and a way to work on ships in a pressurised environment.

Same. Forcefield across the space door openings to hold atmosphere in, but also physical doors as a backup. Being able to walk around on a half-built ship without a spacesuit would make construction a lot easier.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

We're lucky we got what we did: the 'main' study models based on concept art for the excelsior were these things

USS Hard Disk Drive

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I always loved ships that were designed from angle.

"Yeah... lookit all these shapes. So much detail. Such silhouette. Yes."
"Very nice! What's the side look like?"
"Er... Like... like this. *draws pancake*"
"I say, that won't do..."
"Well tough fucks, Bill's already got the model half made."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

V-Men posted:

Well, they'd be two separate bodies that do two separate things. Starfleet Intelligence does routine matters, classified research (e.g., the Pegasus), analysis and clandestine collection and sensitive operations, like re-inserting that Cardassian agent in the episode Lower Decks, probably akin to a CIA/Defense Intelligence Agency hybrid.

The more obvious real-life model for Starfleet Intelligence (because Starfleet is based on the US Navy) is the US Navy's Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI).

Wikipedia posted:

The Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) is the military intelligence agency of the United States Navy. Established in 1882 primarily to advance the Navy's modernization efforts,[4][5] ONI is the oldest member of the United States Intelligence Community and serves as the nation's premier source of maritime intelligence. Since the First World War, its mission has broadened to include real-time reporting on the developments and activities of foreign navies; protecting maritime resources and interests; monitoring and countering transnational maritime threats; providing technical, operational, and tactical support to the U.S. Navy and its partners; and surveying the global maritime environment. ONI employs over 3,000 military and civilian personnel worldwide and is headquartered at the National Maritime Intelligence Center in Suitland, Maryland.

So it's more about logistics, troop movements, and understanding enemy capabilities than any of the hairy hearts-and-minds-and-daggers stuff that JSOC/CIA and their future S31 counterpart do. As such, you could expect to see a more typical sort of Starfleet officer in those roles, probably working fist in glove with their sketchier S31 counterparts and not liking or trusting them much if at all but also totally dependent on them for juicy HUMINT.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
My thing is once you have subspace telescopes and like scanners that can pick up the smallest biological sign. Wouldn't it be a more open game over all? It seems like you just get an active sensor complex and scan away.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Kesper North posted:

As such, you could expect to see a more typical sort of Starfleet officer in those roles, probably working fist in glove with their sketchier S31 counterparts and not liking or trusting them much if at all but also totally dependent on them for juicy HUMINT.

Hey, it was Starfleet Intelligence who made Miles play Donnie Brasco.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Axe-man posted:

My thing is once you have subspace telescopes and like scanners that can pick up the smallest biological sign. Wouldn't it be a more open game over all? It seems like you just get an active sensor complex and scan away.

Well for one thing, the bad guys have cloaking devices, and for another thing, yes, that is exactly the sort of thing that ONI does today with the SOSUS submarine detection networks. Remember, you can figure out what type of submarine you're looking at via the sound it makes - that's probably pretty analogous to spying on fleet movements via subspace magic array. I'm not sure if they have their own satellites too or task NRO birds, that's probably classified...

But they also need to know how it all works, and the best way to do that would be to get behind enemy lines somehow with a sensor package and soak up the emissions from a naval exercise. Like again the ONI does with drone systems today. (Maybe there's some humint in the mix there; could be Starfleet Intel has a competing program to learn about not just what future adversaries are doing, but what they're building in their yards, and what they're thinking about in their 20-year plans.)

Epicurius posted:

Hey, it was Starfleet Intelligence who made Miles play Donnie Brasco.

drat, I forgot that was SFI. Malignant and incompetent, sigh.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 27, 2021

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kesper North posted:

drat, I forgot that was SFI. Malignant and incompetent, sigh.

Who do you think operates the O'Brien Must Suffer Initiative?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

McSpanky posted:

Who do you think operates the O'Brien Must Suffer Initiative?

I guess I thought Keiko was his handler. They seemed fundamentally unsuited to eachother otherwise. He has more chemistry with Julian!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

LOL some dude just offered me 1/6th of an induction modulator for a loan of it on Nextdoor what

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the other thing about S31 in DS9 (other than the 90's conspiracy story point) is that up until that point every single story about Starfleet Intelligence in Star Trek is about them loving up in some spectacular way. Sloane is amoral/evil but he's also extremely competent.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

People comparing Section 31's DS9 version to JSOC are missing the point: section 31 wasn't just secretive and highly classified, it was illegitimate. As of DS9 it was basically a cabal of people who used a flimsy reading of a clause in the starfleet charter to perform actions outside the law 'for the greater good' with no formal agency within Starfleet. The difference between Starfleet Intelligence and Section 31 is that Starfleet Intelligence was a proper Starfleet agency and bound by their rules, and Section 31 was just a bunch of guys who thought rules were for losers.

Discovery messed things up but the easiest way to make it line up is to say that formal Section 31 was disbanded after control but then kept itself going under the table.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 27, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

People comparing Section 31's DS9 version to JSOC are missing the point: section 31 wasn't just secretive and highly classified, it was illegitimate. As of DS9 it was basically a cabal of people who used a flimsy reading of a clause in the starfleet charter to perform actions outside the law 'for the greater good' with no formal agency within Starfleet. The difference between Starfleet Intelligence and Section 31 is that Starfleet Intelligence was a proper Starfleet agency and bound by their rules, and Section 31 was just a bunch of guys who thought rules were for losers.

Discovery messed things up but the easiest way to make it line up is to say that formal Section 31 was disbanded after control but then kept itself going under the table.

You're overlooking that DS9 S31 were operating with the implicit approval of Starfleet high command because they got results and were able to assert direct influence over the organisation and command resources, so it's hardly like they were a rogue cabal operating around the margins of other departments

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

multijoe posted:

You're overlooking that DS9 S31 were operating with the implicit approval of Starfleet high command because they got results and were able to assert direct influence over the organisation and command resources, so it's hardly like they were a rogue cabal operating around the margins of other departments

Yeah, when Sisko asks about Section 31 he gets told 'shut the gently caress up and stop asking', in Inter Elim Admiral Ross clearly knows who Sloane is and what he's up to.

Section 31 isn't illegitimate, it's just very 'eyes only'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The thing with Ross is that S31 and Starfleet had essentially the same goals, they just differed in how to accomplish them. So with the Romulus mission there is overlap between Sloan’s objective and Ross’s. However, as far as we know the Founder virus was entirely S31’s doing.

There’s a difference in risk between signing off on getting rid of a potential problem with an ally as opposed to doing straight-up genocide.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So, the Founders are like...there's no difference between the group and the individual with their whole drop becomes the ocean/ocean becomes the drop thing. If they're treating themselves as a singular entity, it is more like an assassination than genocide? And we were all cool with assassinations from when they blew up that poor Romulan fellow, which was definitely a war crime too.

I'm also completely fine with Laas dying alone and confused because he was a butt.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's still a genocide if it's the entire species

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

J33uk posted:

LOL some dude just offered me 1/6th of an induction modulator for a loan of it on Nextdoor what

I appreciate this and I appreciate you

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Killing all the Founders would probably be a really bad move if only because - like, the Vorta and the Jem'Hadar aren't cartoon bees, they won't just lie down and die. Instead what you'd have is a vast interstellar empire headed up by a highly intelligent, vicious, cunning people who hate your loving guts forever and have absolutely no sense of morality.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

HopperUK posted:

Killing all the Founders would probably be a really bad move if only because - like, the Vorta and the Jem'Hadar aren't cartoon bees, they won't just lie down and die. Instead what you'd have is a vast interstellar empire headed up by a highly intelligent, vicious, cunning people who hate your loving guts forever and have absolutely no sense of morality.

well the jem'hadar would probably just suicide rush everyone including the vorta for failing to keep the founders alive. the empire would absolutely fall apart, and very quickly

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Verviticus posted:

well the jem'hadar would probably just suicide rush everyone including the vorta for failing to keep the founders alive. the empire would absolutely fall apart, and very quickly

Maybe! It'd be amazing either way

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I wonder how that would play out. The Jems would necessarily have to go to war with the Vorta to procure their source of Ketracel, right? Otherwise their days as a cohesive force are numbered. The only other option would be to submit to the Vorta and I don't think they have the awe factor the Founders do, being just another uplifted marmoset.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HopperUK posted:

nah you take odo and the others of the remaining 100 alpha quadrant changelings, who presumably are also are culturally members of the alpha-quadrant powers, and install them as the new founders. Then use the puppet government under the command of section 31 to do... good things. Yes. Good things.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I wonder how that would play out. The Jems would necessarily have to go to war with the Vorta to procure their source of Ketracel, right? Otherwise their days as a cohesive force are numbered. The only other option would be to submit to the Vorta and I don't think they have the awe factor the Founders do, being just another uplifted marmoset.

I think of em as lemurs, I don't know why. Maybe just because most of the Vorta actors we see have very large eyes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

BonHair posted:

It's still a genocide if it's the entire species

Funny enough, the first episode of Star Trek ever aired deals with this question

The answer is “gently caress yeah kill that murderous shitbag. Then feel bad about it once you’re safe”

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Vorta are absolutely nothing without the backing of the Founders and the armies of the Jem'Hadar.

IMO The JH would immediately wipe out the Vorta, then settle into kind of an ancient Klingon-type deal as they learned to build a society beyond "wait until the Vorta tell us to die"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Vorta are absolutely nothing without the backing of the Founders and the armies of the Jem'Hadar.

IMO The JH would immediately wipe out the Vorta, then settle into kind of an ancient Klingon-type deal as they learned to build a society beyond "wait until the Vorta tell us to die"

That would be really cool actually, I'd love to see that. But then I'd also like to see how the Dominion's doing now Odo's in the Link. I wonder if he's managing to sway their behaviour at all, or if he's still recognisably himself at all, how that whole thing's going.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't think they'd get that far unless the Jem'Hadar figure out the ketracel problem very very quickly. It might go pretty much exactly as that Vorta from "Rocks and Shoals" predicted, writ large: they'd just start attacking anything that moves, then wreck the Vorta, and eventually turn on each other until none remain, unless everyone else puts them down first, and it would all happen within a matter of months at most.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Delsaber posted:

I don't think they'd get that far unless the Jem'Hadar figure out the ketracel problem very very quickly. It might go pretty much exactly as that Vorta from "Rocks and Shoals" predicted, writ large: they'd just start attacking anything that moves, then wreck the Vorta, and eventually turn on each other until none remain, unless everyone else puts them down first, and it would all happen within a matter of months at most.

I think slaughtering the Vorta would get them at least a few months' Ketracel, and I think the Jem'Hadar are tactical-minded enough to leave some Vorta alive to run the Ketracel factories. The Vorta are born followers who know which way the wind blows - none of them would be in the "oh maybe the Founders will save us somehow" camp, they would all fall in line I think.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clearly a triumverate of a rogue hologram, a jem hadar, and a vorta team up to impersonate a founder, relying on the hologram for the flashy shapeshifting and the other two to actually plan and physically interact with things.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Clearly a triumverate of a rogue hologram, a jem hadar, and a vorta team up to impersonate a founder, relying on the hologram for the flashy shapeshifting and the other two to actually plan and physically interact with things.

but enough about Janeway on Prodigy :v:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tunicate posted:

Clearly a triumverate of a rogue hologram, a jem hadar, and a vorta team up to impersonate a founder

Vincent AdultChangeling

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

skasion posted:

Funny enough, the first episode of Star Trek ever aired deals with this question

The answer is “gently caress yeah kill that murderous shitbag. Then feel bad about it once you’re safe”

Works for Kirk, then it works for you

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

skasion posted:

If it comes down to it's either them or us that goes... the answer is always it's them. And I'd feel bad about it but only in a "sorry not sorry" kind of way.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Since we're talking about the morality of genocide, I should point out that the attempted genocide of the Founders was at least utilitarian. It was decisive to winning the Dominion War. By contrast, the Holocaust had no practical benefit for Germany, if anything it was counter-productive because it consumed a lot of resources and manpower and the Jews weren't actually a threat at all. The "necessary evil" dilemma that Star Trek DS9 so loved just wasn't there with the Holocaust, it was stupid evil.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Since we're talking about the morality of genocide, I should point out that the attempted genocide of the Founders was at least utilitarian. It was decisive to winning the Dominion War. By contrast, the Holocaust had no practical benefit for Germany, if anything it was counter-productive because it consumed a lot of resources and manpower and the Jews weren't actually a threat at all. The "necessary evil" dilemma that Star Trek DS9 so loved just wasn't there with the Holocaust, it was stupid evil.

Pretty sure the Jews were doing all sorts of things that would surely bring about the end of the white race within a decade, at least in the minds of the actual Nazis. Just because their delusions didn't match up with reality doesn't make then internally invalid, and I believe that at least some Nazis actually believed that the Jews were an existential threat.

Anyway, the Dominion wasn't a real threat, being under Dominion rule would be no different than Federation rule for most people. Fighting was a waste of resources in the first place.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
They were introducing various tasty dishes and the German palate could not with stand it. No seriously though the Jewish people were blamed for ww1 even though as a percentage they participated more than any ethnic minority. Really it was the German generals who wanted to defend their idea they could win a 6 month 2 front war with Intel that was out of date when it was planned for. It wouldn't have worked in 1890 when it was developed and it sure as hell didn't in 1914.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pull up, thread

e: palate-cleansing tweet

https://twitter.com/NanaVisitor/status/1386726734297325570?s=19

My wife and I literally did the :swoon: emote