Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
i support and applaud any game that doesn't have any goddamned In App Purchases, Seasons Passes or in Game Currency because gently caress all of that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

QuarkJets posted:

that game where you are a spineless rear end in a top hat who spends all day eating cookies and beating women until you eventually kill yourself in despair, I forget what it's called

The American Dream

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

what is the something awful forums game

A miserable pile of secrets.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Rutibex posted:

:dukedoge:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

awful trigger when

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Rutibex posted:

awful trigger when

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Escape from Tarkov should have the option to Scav only with zero cooldown.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rutibex posted:

Turdiak's skateboard game and Thermidor: Juicy Fruities

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

that game where you are a spineless rear end in a top hat who spends all day eating cookies and beating women until you eventually kill yourself in despair, I forget what it's called

dontrel iv

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Vic posted:

I refuse to play Hades because you can't change difficulty settings - It's kinda racist if you think about it. Also it's popular, which is another reason to stay clear. I won't play it to spite it's raving fans, which are the main reason the game's bad. It's all red and black.

^ The real metaprogression

there is "god mode" option which is very clever as it makes the game easier (or rather buffs you) the more often you die.

Hades is just good.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

haldolium posted:

there is "god mode" option which is very clever as it makes the game easier (or rather buffs you) the more often you die.

Hades is just good.

Maybe, but I'm going to be weirdly anti Hades because I haven't played it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
thats fine even Hades is anti-Hades. you are in good company

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I loved Hades and I think you are missing nothing by not playing it, it's the epitome of well designed time wasting garbage (that I'll keep playing for 40+ hours).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Get thee behind me, tumblr

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I still have not a tried a VR controller or any modern VR equipment.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 3, 2023

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I posted in the wrong thread and i'm editing it out, never mind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Aren't expectations weird?

I bought pokemon sword a couple years ago. I distinctly remember being vaguely disappointed by it because it was so similar to X/Y and I put it down

Well I re-downloaded it and now I can't figure out what I was thinking. It's a very well made and fun game

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Zeluth posted:

3d movies made me motion sick :barf:

Also I can't think of anything I want to play in VR. I never played Kinect games either.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's not the 3d that makes you motion sick, you view the actual world in stereo without vomiting everywhere (idk though I don't know you). It's that stereoscopy when projected or on a TV is fundamentally broken and will never look correct as the perspective will be wrong 99.99999999999999% of the time by design due to limitations of the medium itself.

VR does stereo mostly properly (eye convergance is still fixed which causes issues for some, though this is a solvable problem it's still R&D only stuff) but there's also a bunch of other sickness triggers at play depending on what you do. Watching 3D movies in VR at least gives you the most optimal position and removes crosstalk, so it is an improvement. Aside from the brick hanging off your face.

Half Life Alyx rules btw.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 3, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Nintendo games haven't been good for years and the brand has coasted on nostalgia during the switch years.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

Nintendo games haven't been good for years and the brand has coasted on nostalgia during the switch years.

no its unpopular opinions silly. Everyone knows the Switch is basically selling to gen Z nerds as a high-end Gameboy

Imma be honest - IMO Gold Box D&D games were the high water mark of CPRGs :colbert: that doesn't include Baldur's Gate

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Mr Hootington posted:

You're correct, but the specific years Nintendo games weren't good was in the mid-late 2000s. They're good now because they haven't changed much while everything else has gotten worse.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Playing games on a switch, steam deck or with a VR headset is just not as good as a TV

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zeluth posted:

I just got a PS4 VR set up because they're really cheap right now with the PS5 version coming.

You're not missing much. From the two whole games I've played so far, it's an amusing gimmick but not a transcendent experience. I hapen to like games that have amusing gimmicks so it's working out for me.

I completed Psychonauts Rhombus of Ruin and it was a two hour long extremely simple adventure game. If I had paid more than :10bux: it might have annoyed me that it was basically a "check this out!" experience, but I didn't so I was fine.

I also popped in Skyrim VR and was less entertained. And not just because I was playing Skyrim. :v: The interface is set up like you're playing in front of a 70 inch screen and you're sitting three feet away so you can’t see your health or stamina unless you look,away from the action and you have to look almost straight down to see the compass (at least that could be changed). To try to deal with motion sickness, they default to rotating your character in 45-degree steps which I found to be more disorienting than smooth rotation where it was easier to put my head and movement axis in the same direction. Also, Skyrim's head tracking drifts a lot. I think it tries to reset at every loading screen, which would be right when you're moving your focus around. They put in a "re-center" function at least. The most goofy thing of all is that it really doesn't look good. Everything looks like it's flat walls that have some "rock face" wallpaper applied to it.

I've got a ton of games coming for it so I can try out more options (another reason I got the PS4 VR is that I could pick the games up cheap). The Doctor Who VR game should arrive today and I'm fully expecting an awful game but I'm hoping it'll be an entertaining experience which seems to be what VR is good at.

One of the big reasons I got the PS4 VR is that I could try out the concept cheap and decide if I'd want to invest in something bigger. And the answer to that is absolutely not. I'm having fun and I know that the hardware I have isn't great, but I spent <$200 on the set up. The headset gives me eyestrain after about an hour and so far I haven't seen anything in what I've played or the demos that make me go, "Yes! This is what VR is all about!" I've got high hopes for Ace Combat 7 and Resident Evil 7.

tl,dr: VR is a cute gimmick if you like unique gaming experiences, but you really aren't missing out on much by not using it.

Vampire Panties posted:

3d movies made me motion sick :barf:

Also I can't think of anything I want to play in VR. I never played Kinect games either.

I have about 75% of the Kinect games. They work even more poorly than the VR does.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I just got a PS4 VR set up because they're really cheap right now with the PS5 version coming.

You're not missing much. From the two whole games I've played so far, it's an amusing gimmick but not a transcendent experience. I hapen to like games that have amusing gimmicks so it's working out for me.

I completed Psychonauts Rhombus of Ruin and it was a two hour long extremely simple adventure game. If I had paid more than :10bux: it might have annoyed me that it was basically a "check this out!" experience, but I didn't so I was fine.

I also popped in Skyrim VR and was less entertained. And not just because I was playing Skyrim. :v: The interface is set up like you're playing in front of a 70 inch screen and you're sitting three feet away so you can’t see your health or stamina unless you look,away from the action and you have to look almost straight down to see the compass (at least that could be changed). To try to deal with motion sickness, they default to rotating your character in 45-degree steps which I found to be more disorienting than smooth rotation where it was easier to put my head and movement axis in the same direction. Also, Skyrim's head tracking drifts a lot. I think it tries to reset at every loading screen, which would be right when you're moving your focus around. They put in a "re-center" function at least. The most goofy thing of all is that it really doesn't look good. Everything looks like it's flat walls that have some "rock face" wallpaper applied to it.

I've got a ton of games coming for it so I can try out more options (another reason I got the PS4 VR is that I could pick the games up cheap). The Doctor Who VR game should arrive today and I'm fully expecting an awful game but I'm hoping it'll be an entertaining experience which seems to be what VR is good at.

One of the big reasons I got the PS4 VR is that I could try out the concept cheap and decide if I'd want to invest in something bigger. And the answer to that is absolutely not. I'm having fun and I know that the hardware I have isn't great, but I spent <$200 on the set up. The headset gives me eyestrain after about an hour and so far I haven't seen anything in what I've played or the demos that make me go, "Yes! This is what VR is all about!" I've got high hopes for Ace Combat 7 and Resident Evil 7.

tl,dr: VR is a cute gimmick if you like unique gaming experiences, but you really aren't missing out on much by not using it.

I have about 75% of the Kinect games. They work even more poorly than the VR does.

PSVR kind of sucks and is the worst VR hardware currently available. To the point where developers have avoided releasing their games on the platform in spite of the PS4 being perfectly capable of running them, because the games rely on decent controller tracking and/or visual clarity better than the eyesight of a 90 year old man with cataracts.

You're making some iffy game choices, there was a lot of hastily produced poo poo to cash in on the late 00s VR boom like that Psychonauts VR thing. I like Walking Dead Saints & Sinners a lot, sort of a Deus Ex Immersive Sim kind of deal which taking full advantage of physical input (knives get stuck in skulls and you gotta yank em out!) though keep in mind that the quality of PS Moves aren't representative of real VR controllers. Astrobot is also wonderful in it's Nintendo-like glee of maximal use of the hardware. Try a driving sim of some kind, any of them really though Dirt Rally thrills in particular due to all the near-field movement from the tight courses.

SkyrimVR on PCVR is very, very different, at least once modded, just about everything you complain about has been fixed and then some, adding full player bodies with world collision, immersive on-body inventory systems and quite a bit more than that. Though I admit all this is indicative of how VR is firmly still an enthusiast thing.

IMO the "best" VR game overall is Walkabout Mini Golf, which is basically what it says and I'm sure you'll look at the screenshots and say the 90s called and they want their polygons back. You'll play it one day and you will understand. Alyx is also up there. Neither are on PSVR.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 3, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Imagine trying to insult something by calling it a "high end game boy"

Bro at one point in the 90s there were more game boys than people on earth

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On average, every person who has ever lived on earth can clear 4 boards of tetris

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

What the gently caress is a board of tetris

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
About a buck eighty

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Gameboy was an absolute masterpiece of a system and a lot of its games still hold up today. The thing had Link’s Awakening and Donkey Kong 94 for gods sake. Just lol at using it as an insult. Go back to your Game Gear you hipster.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Blood and Truth on psvr is amazing despite the limitations of the controllers. If you have a psvr and move controllers you must play it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vampire Panties posted:

Imma be honest - IMO Gold Box D&D games were the high water mark of CPRGs :colbert: that doesn't include Baldur's Gate

Naw. It's Ultima IV. Still hasn't been topped. Probably never will.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

PSVR kind of sucks and is the worst VR hardware currently available. To the point where developers have avoided releasing their games on the platform in spite of the PS4 being perfectly capable of running them, because the games rely on decent controller tracking and/or visual clarity better than the eyesight of a 90 year old man with cataracts.

I knew going in it wasn't going to be up to snuff with other headsets, but I also paid less than 1/5th of what I would have for an Index and I'm not even sure I could make the Index work in my space; I don't have any room for getting up and walking around while playing games. PS4 VR is my "is this concept even for me?" trial without sinking an even bigger pile of cash into it. $200 is already a pretty big buy in price for something that I wasn't even sure I'd like.

I didn't have the Walking Dead game in my list of things to try since every Walking Dead game after Telltale season 1 was awful, but I'll add it to the list to try out.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

galagazombie posted:

Go back to your Game Gear you hipster.

Can't afford batteries

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
James Bond 007 is the best Zelda-like on the gameboy which is a very damming statement given Links Awakening is the best Zelda game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

Gameboy was an absolute masterpiece of a system and a lot of its games still hold up today. The thing had Link’s Awakening and Donkey Kong 94 for gods sake. Just lol at using it as an insult. Go back to your Game Gear you hipster.

:hai:
also the best final fantasy, FF Legend 3

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I knew going in it wasn't going to be up to snuff with other headsets, but I also paid less than 1/5th of what I would have for an Index and I'm not even sure I could make the Index work in my space; I don't have any room for getting up and walking around while playing games. PS4 VR is my "is this concept even for me?" trial without sinking an even bigger pile of cash into it. $200 is already a pretty big buy in price for something that I wasn't even sure I'd like.

I didn't have the Walking Dead game in my list of things to try since every Walking Dead game after Telltale season 1 was awful, but I'll add it to the list to try out.
I typically recommend the Quest 2 as it's by far the most successful making it the primary platform for most VR devs, but that choice comes with the zuck tax. It's also a PCVR headset for free.

Walking Dead Saints & Sinners doesn't have anything to do with the telltale game, the show and only barely the original comics. It's a new setting based in New Orleans and mostly borrows general lore and tone from the license. The immersive sim elements are light but present, lots of moments that let you be creative.

If you play it, might as well mention that most common friction point is the weapon handling, which is all physics based and as such everything feels far heavier than you might be used to. The trick is to mime the weight in your own actions, act as if you're swinging something heavy. Basically, if all your attacks are glancing off enemies you're doing it wrong, slow down a bit until your in-game body better matches the movements of your real one.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 3, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

I typically recommend the Quest 2 and it's platform is by fat the most successful making it the primary platform for most VR devs, but that choice comes with the zuck tax.

No Facebook account and I will never sign up for one, so Oculus stuff was out regardless. I was gearing up to buy one when they made that change a while back, too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

Naw. It's Ultima IV. Still hasn't been topped. Probably never will.

I still think 5 and 6 are slightly better than 4

4 had the best ideas but 5 had a better sense of exploration and 6 was dangerously close to being an actual "good game"

But Jesus lord did they have the most stupid and basic systems. It's a really good thing the story was the focus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

No Facebook account and I will never sign up for one, so Oculus stuff was out regardless. I was gearing up to buy one when they made that change a while back, too.

Don't need one anymore. There's Meta accounts now, though you could correctly argue that they are sorta the same thing in an abstract sense, they require far less personal information than Facebook does and don't hook into Facebook social media systems.