Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

QuarkJets posted:

That side character, who you don't have to talk to at all? Yes

That still leaves dopey Orpheus, a loving cafe/bar in hell, big doggy Cerberus, Zagreus talking directly to the narrator, the ghosts with their expression speech bubbles, Joss Whedon level boss banter and a general smart-arse tone that, for at least some people, works against what's otherwise a pretty good game.

And that you can ignore these characters isn't strictly true, considering the game encourages you to pour friendship coins into its cast of crazy misfits and grumps with hearts of gold until power-ups come out.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

QuarkJets posted:

That side character, who you don't have to talk to at all? Yes

this is a weird crusade lol

hades is absolutely a bunch of slick memeable tumblresque interactions, it's also really good, but finding the first bit annoying is fine, it's like being annoyed by people raving about disco elysium and deciding not to play it; mildly self-defeating, but who cares? there are lots of games.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Disco Pope posted:

That still leaves dopey Orpheus, a loving cafe/bar in hell, big doggy Cerberus, Zagreus talking directly to the narrator, the ghosts with their expression speech bubbles, Joss Whedon level boss banter and a general smart-arse tone that, for at least some people, works against what's otherwise a pretty good game.

Thank you for posting some substantive complaints instead of just references to social media websites! Your first three complaints still don't make a lot of sense, though.

Orpheus is dopey in the original myths. He had one job and he hosed it up because he was too dumb not to swivel his neck.

The cafe/bar is in hades, not hell. it would be weird for there to be a bar in Christian hell. But this is the Greek underworld. Chthonic gods gotta drink, too. i mean, would you be surprised to see a bar on olympus? they have a whole entire separate god just for wine and parties. it's very on-brand for greek mythology.

I do not understand the complaint that cerberus is a big dog. Cerberus has always been a big dog. I don't know why you'd expect cerberus not to be a big dog.

The rest of your post: yeah, well, fair enough!

sebmojo posted:

tumblresque interactions

still have no fuckin idea what this is supposed to mean

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

Well gosh you don't really need to talk to anyone except hades and your mum, so they're really the only characters in the game that matter.

And all of the Olympian gods, if a boon drops you can't leave a room without picking it up

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Thank you for posting some substantive complaints instead of just references to social media websites! Your first three complaints still don't make a lot of sense, though.

Orpheus is dopey in the original myths. He had one job and he hosed it up because he was too dumb not to swivel his neck.

The cafe/bar is in hades, not hell. it would be weird for there to be a bar in Christian hell. But this is the Greek underworld. Chthonic gods gotta drink, too. i mean, would you be surprised to see a bar on olympus? they have a whole entire separate god just for wine and parties. it's very on-brand for greek mythology.

I do not understand the complaint that cerberus is a big dog. Cerberus has always been a big dog. I don't know why you'd expect cerberus not to be a big dog.

Was he all like "aw gee boss,I guess I goofed! Uh oh!" in the original myths too? Did he work two rooms over from a wacky skeleton with a New Yoik accent?

And come on, I said "doggy" not "dog", and I think you know the difference.

Fair point about the lounge, though.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

lmao ok you sure convinced me that hades art is not twee

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

DontMockMySmock posted:

Lol

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Listen, in the classic greek myths, Cerberus was a super cute doggo too who you could get by if you just got him his little treat bag

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Hades is the Tumblr game, Disco Elysium is the Twitter game.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Please rename topic "old people videogame opinions: tumblresque interactions" thanks

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Beartaco posted:

Sonic Forces is the DeviantArt game.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

I think you know exactly what it means

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Disco Elysium is fantastic, but running up and down the beach is a chore. I know there's apparently fast-travel, but hosed if I know how or if it works.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

Disco Elysium is fantastic

actually its not

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Disco Pope posted:

Disco Elysium is fantastic, but running up and down the beach is a chore. I know there's apparently fast-travel, but hosed if I know how or if it works.

It barely works. I think you can choose between a couple locations and hop around but only a certain number of times per day. For a while I thought if your savoy faire or whatever was higher you could do more but I think I was mistaken

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it was very innovative and refreshing how disco elysium used asterisks for emphasis

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Disco Elysium is a great point and click style game but it's - to use a British idiom - a bit up its own arse.

Also Toonstruck was better than monkey Island

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

The Butcher posted:

I always liked the Star Wars ones where you could like force grab the baddies and toss them off a cliff. Force choke never really appealed to me. Blasters are just guns with fancy laser bullets... Lame.

Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy were legit good Star Wars games. Kyle Katarn suffered no fools.

It's a shame Respawn went with soulslike mechanics for the latest series...
*dodge roll*
*counter*
*dodge roll*

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

poverty goat posted:

it was very innovative and refreshing how disco elysium used asterisks for emphasis

:hmmyes:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Butcher posted:

I always liked the Star Wars ones where you could like force grab the baddies and toss them off a cliff. Force choke never really appealed to me. Blasters are just guns with fancy laser bullets... Lame.

I should probably talk to my therapist about this, but I'm not sure any of it would make sense.

The most fun I had by far in Skyrim was dragon shouting at my companions and watching them pinwheel away

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tetrabor posted:

Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy were legit good Star Wars games. Kyle Katarn suffered no fools.

It's a shame Respawn went with soulslike mechanics for the latest series...
*dodge roll*
*counter*
*dodge roll*

This is true but I preferred the schlocky live action cut scenes of the first Jedi Knight

Also the game's title is Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Academy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Beartaco posted:

what is the something awful forums game

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Rutibex posted:

Zybourne Clock

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

zybourne clock

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

there are two types of deus ex players. those who go into the womans restroom and those who still go into the womans restroom knowing you are going to be reprimanded.

I'm playing a character okay???

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't have a pony in that slapfight, but I gotta ask: How does tumblr have a culture if it's just an image hosting site? I seem to have confused tumblr with something else, it's apparently a blog? TIL.

I think the lesson here is if something reminds you of an unsavory internet culture and everyone else is puzzled by the association, you're telling about yourself and the nasty holes you regular more than the thing you're comparing to it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Tumblr was just a blogging site that was full of fanart and fan communities that garnered a specific culture that is very recognisable. But maybe, my friend, it is you who is actually the tumblr.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Disco Pope posted:

Sonic Forces is the DeviantArt game.

sonic all stars racing is the deviant art game, the dev team picked fanart up right off it and used it without permission

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Serephina posted:

I think the lesson here is if something reminds you of an unsavory internet culture and everyone else is pretending to be puzzled by the association, you're making them uncomfortable because they don't have the guts to admit they want to motorboat Aphrodite's butt

fixed

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Fur20 posted:

sonic all stars racing is the deviant art game, the dev team picked fanart up right off it and used it without permission

that explains the dlc that makes all the characters pregnant

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Serephina posted:

I think the lesson here is if something reminds you of an unsavory internet culture and everyone else is puzzled by the association, you're telling about yourself and the nasty holes you regular more than the thing you're comparing to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMaP6soLkms

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hades has good dialogue, i really liked the story. Everybody seems to talk about interesting things and you wanna play and die just so you can talk to people again and get more story. I did the win 10 games true ending after all

If its tumblresque or whatever then i guess tumblr people had something going there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish Hades would marry Disco Elysium and have a babby.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Metaprogression has been around since the original Rogue

what

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I refuse to play Hades because you can't change difficulty settings - It's kinda racist if you think about it. Also it's popular, which is another reason to stay clear. I won't play it to spite it's raving fans, which are the main reason the game's bad. It's all red and black.

^ The real metaprogression

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Rutibex posted:

Zybourne Clock
The Demon Rush
Crimson Haze

all classics imo

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I used Hypnospace Outlaw to explain this forum to my brother a few days ago because it was hot and I couldn't be bothered going to a pc and logging into the actual website.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Serephina posted:

I don't have a pony in that slapfight, but I gotta ask: How does tumblr have a culture if it's just an image hosting site? I seem to have confused tumblr with something else, it's apparently a blog? TIL.

My friend, if I didn't know what Tumblr was because I was the kind of cool, popular dude who only posts on Something Awful and plays rougelikes about Greek myth and doesn't know what popular and influential websites are, I would still find the game's presentation irritating and clichéd, I just wouldn't have Tumblr as a reference point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rutibex posted:

Hypnospace Outlaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

that game where you are a spineless rear end in a top hat who spends all day eating cookies and beating women until you eventually kill yourself in despair, I forget what it's called