Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MrMoo posted:

The plastic on the monitors is more disturbing than the cables.

Especially on the main one where the stupid OEM advertising stickers are literally covering part of the display.

Tear that poo poo off, don't you have standards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

This thread continues to be the best thread on the entire forum, thanks.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheresaJayne posted:

No we are Goons....

That's what I said :confused:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

wolrah posted:

Especially on the main one where the stupid OEM advertising stickers are literally covering part of the display.

Tear that poo poo off, don't you have standards?

I peeled off the new monitor's stickers after reading this. Then the monitor went purple-screen this evening. I exchanged it, and thus have the stickers again.

The retinas are different. They're meant to go in an iPad housing so I keep the manufacturing film on for protection. I've had to windex the surfaces a few times and I'm not sure how well they would respond to that without the film.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
How do you use a screen with all those bubbles/ripples in the plastic like that? Looks like absolutely trash. Couldn't you just take the plastic off and clean the screens with any kind of normal monitor cleaning methods?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Or get ipad glass?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
The light breaks through the glare and I don't notice it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Tempered-Glass-Screen-Protector-display/dp/B00LHERVM8

https://www.amazon.com/GLAZZ-Tempered-Protector-Shatterproof-Oleophobic/dp/B00J8ZJPOK

I feel like this would be a good alternative without permanently bonding it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Elsa posted:

The light breaks through the glare and I don't notice it.

why don't you just use a normal monitor like a normal person

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

here, some actual content for once

since my last posts i've re-attached the top desk shelf, built a new rig and gotten a new chair. also new xxl mouse mat, an amazing thing

i think i'll be using this desk for a long time, feeling like saving up for an ultrawide tho.. and selling my old monitors. got to use one at my friend's place and it was pretty sweet. maybe i'll get a super tiny vertical monitor for irc/music/torrents if the one i have now doesnt fit with an ultrawide

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How is the back lighting for your vision? I did this with my living room tv in my last house and loved it, but does it get tiresome up close?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Jealous Cow posted:

How is the back lighting for your vision? I did this with my living room tv in my last house and loved it, but does it get tiresome up close?

Hell no, totally the opposite. I've turned it off before and my eyes get much more worn out. I think it's called bias lighting, and it's supposed to be good for you

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

AEMINAL posted:

here, some actual content for once

since my last posts i've re-attached the top desk shelf, built a new rig and gotten a new chair. also new xxl mouse mat, an amazing thing

i think i'll be using this desk for a long time, feeling like saving up for an ultrawide tho.. and selling my old monitors. got to use one at my friend's place and it was pretty sweet. maybe i'll get a super tiny vertical monitor for irc/music/torrents if the one i have now doesnt fit with an ultrawide
is your bed a race car too?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

TenementFunster posted:

is your bed a race car too?

i wish!!

i picked the least gaudy looking color scheme (all black), most of them look like poo poo but this one is OK imo. it's a really comfortable chair for the price, super solid. my old ikea chair was driving me insane, and in this one i can sit for hours without discomfort.
you can lean all the way back in it kinda like a bed, which rules

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

AEMINAL posted:

How does it not tip the gently caress over?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

AEMINAL posted:

i wish!!

i picked the least gaudy looking color scheme (all black), most of them look like poo poo but this one is OK imo. it's a really comfortable chair for the price, super solid. my old ikea chair was driving me insane, and in this one i can sit for hours without discomfort.

What chair is it?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Magnus Praeda posted:

How does it not tip the gently caress over?

It has a pretty low center of gravity and the wheel spokes go out broad, if you use the tilt function while leaning all the way back it will tip, but with it set to one position mode or not all the way back with tilt it's fine for leaning wayyy back and watching poo poo.

Elderbean posted:

What chair is it?

dxracer formula, cheapo one for about 260 usd or so i'd imagine

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

AEMINAL posted:

dxracer formula, cheapo one for about 260 usd or so i'd imagine
wait what do the expensive ones cost?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

TenementFunster posted:

wait what do the expensive ones cost?

the expensive ones have stuff like wider seats and fully adjustable armrests, i think they cost around 400 dollars? i bought mine in EU so idk. they do look more office chair like but at that price point i would just get an office chair

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have a DXracer King Series, and I can confirm it's amazingly comfortable. Plus you can recline almost horizontal with no problem.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I have a DXracer King Series, and I can confirm it's amazingly comfortable. Plus you can recline almost horizontal with no problem.

I too have a King Series, and it is incredibly comfortable for long periods of sitting.

Added a newish mixer since I have dipping my toes into Synth music, this will let me add more instruments directly to my recordings.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

hahaahhaahha all you dorks with your ugly race car chairs

jesus just look at that quality! only $400!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

TenementFunster posted:

i have a steel case leap

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

TenementFunster posted:

The irony of a race car chair with side supports is their intended purpose of stabilizing you. Put that on a swivel with a wheeled base that won't even stabilize a twisting motion in your upper body and it does seem pretty dumb. I used to have a traditional four-legged chair for art. It makes a difference when your core is stable, and I imagine it helps with gaming as well. If a racing chair had a solid base that you could lock in place, then I would go for it.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

imo the side supports are great for combating bad posture, i used to slouch a lot to the side before this chair, never had any real back pain problems but i imagine its a good chair for that.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I can go get unlimited refurbished Aerons for $350 a piece on craigslist in my area, I never understood why people elect to spend money on the chinese gaming chairs.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I thought 90% of the reason people got them was for looking cool or for sponsorships on their Twitch streams.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I got my chair for free due to a Massdrop gently caress up, I sit in Aerons all day at work they are no better/worse than the high end King series.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Photex posted:

I too have a King Series, and it is incredibly comfortable for long periods of sitting.

Added a newish mixer since I have dipping my toes into Synth music, this will let me add more instruments directly to my recordings.
You gotta get those speakers higher m8.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bill Barber posted:

You gotta get those speakers higher m8.

I know my other friend said the same thing, usually if I'm recording or doing anything musical I bottom out the chair and it puts it in me pretty level.

I am not sure how to elevate the speakers without buying a new desk

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Photex posted:

I am not sure how to elevate the speakers without buying a new desk

Get some speaker stands?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Get some speaker stands?

footprint is too large, maybe when I buy a house next year.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Desktop speaker stands are shockingly difficult to find, especially nice looking ones. I really want to get a set of these, but that's a decent chunk of change. In the meantime, I've been using some Sterlite small desk drawers, which actually work quite well and are the perfect size for most 5" studio monitors (I used them originally with some M-Audio BX5 D2s, and now with JBL LSR305s). Practical too, giving you some extra storage space. My sole complaint is that they only come in white.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

GokieKS posted:

Desktop speaker stands are shockingly difficult to find, especially nice looking ones. I really want to get a set of these, but that's a decent chunk of change. In the meantime, I've been using some Sterlite small desk drawers, which actually work quite well and are the perfect size for most 5" studio monitors (I used them originally with some M-Audio BX5 D2s, and now with JBL LSR305s). Practical too, giving you some extra storage space. My sole complaint is that they only come in white.

A friend of mine has these and swears by them. I'd personally just use the yoga block trick myself. They are dirt cheap, come in any color and they isolate the speaker well.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

TenementFunster posted:

$400 is incredibly cheap when it comes to chairs. It's basically entry level. You can easily spend a couple of grand for a high end ergonomic chairs.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Djarum posted:

A friend of mine has these and swears by them. I'd personally just use the yoga block trick myself. They are dirt cheap, come in any color and they isolate the speaker well.

Yeah, the IsoAcoustics are pretty much the only other option as far as things designed as speaker stands go (well, that or getting custom-made wood ones off ebay), but they're not much cheaper, and... I don't think they look particularly great, and they don't really allow you to do anything else with the space that the speakers are lifted by, unlike those aluminum stands and the drawers I'm using.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Lord Bude posted:

$400 is incredibly cheap when it comes to chairs. It's basically entry level. You can easily spend a couple of grand for a high end ergonomic chairs.

lol gently caress off

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Those options look if my desk was wide enough, i'd have to lose my dual monitors :(

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Lord Bude posted:

hahahha no. i have a herman miller embody and it's awesome. these aren't high end ergonomic chairs. they are poo poo quality $50 office depot/ikea chairs made to look like a race car and sold to twitch esports man children at a 400% mark up. just look at the crappy upholstery. goons can't be trusted with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

chairs are serious business