Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

No, only on subsidized pricing.

Awesome, I only ask as when I looked on the Apple website at the iPhone 5 it shows a $30 upgrade fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Galler posted:

I would love a good keyboard phone but it's just not going to happen. SwiftKey is loving wizard magic though and makes touch screen keyboards very competitive with physical keyboards.

Oh well, I guess I'll adapt. Some of these fancy new phones with great battery life and updated android OS versions are too enticing. My strat's still stuck on gingerbread and it doesn't last me more than 12 hours with moderate use.

And yes this is about as first world problem as it gets ha.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I apologize if this was mentioned more than a handful of pages back. The OP says that the rate plan will be updated later so I'm hoping someone can help with this situation

Right now we have 4 phones on a family plan grandfathered with unlimited data. Someone wants to add a smartphone, which apparently will cause the plan to go to a shared data plan.

1) Could the rest of the family start a new account with the new line and transfer the other phones over to it, leaving my phone as the only phone on the previous grandfathered plan?

2) Would it be possible to transfer a Verizon phone currently on another unlimited data plan to my unlimited data account or would that cause us to change data plans?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sellouts posted:

Someone wants to add a smartphone, which apparently will cause the plan to go to a shared data plan.
It won't. You can add a line to an existing family plan and get a data bucket specific to that line, like the $30/2GB plan. It will not mess with your unlimited on the other lines.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
I'm selling my Razr Maxx to a friend tonight. He has a bionic. I assume that all I need to do other than a factory reset, is just drop his SIM card in and away he goes?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

It won't. You can add a line to an existing family plan and get a data bucket specific to that line, like the $30/2GB plan. It will not mess with your unlimited on the other lines.

Got it, but if they upgrade a current line it'll change the family plan to shared data?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone have issues porting their Verizon number to Google Voice? We've cancelled our Verizon contract and my wife ported her number to GV fine, but GV says my number isn't available to be ported even though I can select a number in that area code.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sellouts posted:

Got it, but if they upgrade a current line it'll change the family plan to shared data?

You can still put the upgraded line on a $30/2GB data bucket and it won't mess with any other unlimited lines you have. You don't have to convert the whole family plan to shared data, unless you want to, because for a lot of people it probably actually does save some money.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Not unless you want them to.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

low-key-taco posted:

Anyone have issues porting their Verizon number to Google Voice? We've cancelled our Verizon contract and my wife ported her number to GV fine, but GV says my number isn't available to be ported even though I can select a number in that area code.
I could be wrong but the problem is you already cancelled your account so Verizon owns the numbers again. Your account gets cancelled when you port.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

low-key-taco posted:

You have to port the number before you cancel. You may be able to reactivate your Verizon account (possibly for a fee) and get the numbers back.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

cuedotcom posted:

I'm selling my Razr Maxx to a friend tonight. He has a bionic. I assume that all I need to do other than a factory reset, is just drop his SIM card in and away he goes?

You will need to cut his sim or get a new micro one. The Bionic uses a full size sim.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Mighty Horse posted:

You will need to cut his sim or get a new micro one. The Bionic uses a full size sim.

Can he go to any VZW store to get a new sim? I.e. does it have to be corporate? Also is there a fee?

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 27, 2012

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

It's actually a mini SIM. A full size SIM is the size of a credit card.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

cuedotcom posted:

Can he go to any VZW store to get a new sim? I.e. does it have to be corporate? Also is there a fee?
A corporate store will give you one for free. Or you can call Verizon's 800 number and they will mail you one. Indirect stores have them (to activate new customers) but I think they're allowed to charge their own service fee if they so desire.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

waffle iron posted:

It's actually a mini SIM. A full size SIM is the size of a credit card.

So the razr maxx and the bionic =/= the same size sim, correct?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

No. the Razr takes a 3FF micro. The Bionic uses a 2ff, which aparently is called a "mini" sim, but I have never heard that before tonight.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

cuedotcom posted:

I have never had an issue getting new/replacement sims at a corporate store. They've alway been free for me.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Mighty Horse posted:

No. the Razr takes a 3FF micro. The Bionic uses a 2ff, which aparently is called a "mini" sim, but I have never heard that before tonight.

I have Vodafone, Three, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon SIM cards with me right now. All of them are sized the same. There's nothing "mini" or exceptional about the Bionic SIM card. It's the standard size. The Razr Maxx uses MicroSIM according to Moto's support site.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ProjektorBoy posted:

I have Vodafone, Three, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon SIM cards with me right now. All of them are sized the same. There's nothing "mini" or exceptional about the Bionic SIM card. It's the standard size. The Razr Maxx uses MicroSIM according to Moto's support site.

The normal SIM card you think of is called a mini SIM.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Let's just get this out of the way.

The outer part is the size of a credit card. That's a "normal" SIM. The little cutout is a mini SIM. There's two smaller sizes, a micro SIM and a nano SIM.
e: here they are:

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 27, 2012

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Right, the confusion exists because even in the industry, the "mini" SIM is considered the "full size" one, because there has never been a phone that used the entire credit card sized one. We actually refer to them internally as their specification numbers,

2FF, 3FF and 4FF.

I've been doing this 17 years and until today have never heard the term "mini-sim" before yesterday, but it is technically correct.

Bunch of SIM name-nazis in here....yeesh.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 27, 2012

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love
Does anyone know how wireless tethering via 3rd party apps works with unlimited data plans? I can't get a good answer from google. Seems like most people say they will charge you if they catch you.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Anyone having network issues today?

My phone has been sitting idle next to me all day so far, but when I checked it, I was already down to 25% (unplugged at 6:30am EST). Checked the battery stats and cell standby was pretty much all of the usage (at over 6 hours, almost the entirety of the time it's been unplugged).

Rebooted and plugged in to charge. Hope this won't be an all day thing.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Verizon is starting to give me the run around and I don't very much like it. To my knowledge, Note II pre orders shipped today. So I called to see if they would have physical units (not the display crap) in the store. The rep that I talked to said yes. I waited about 10 minutes and called again. Different rep, same question, he said yes. So I drove my happy rear end over there thinking I was going to have a shiny new phone. I get there, the host person or w.e asked why I was there; I stated my case and she also confirmed that they had the Note II. Finally after all of this, a woman walks out and says "we don't have the Note II." She then disappears for a moment and returns holding the display units in either hand, showing me what exactly they had. She then offered them to me asking if I wanted to hold one. I shot her a displeased look and walked out the door. But not before some other chump behind a counter said that they would have them in THURSDAY. Not that I believe it will be there, but I shall return on my quest...on Thursday.

What a waste of time.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

XarsonX posted:

Does anyone know how wireless tethering via 3rd party apps works with unlimited data plans? I can't get a good answer from google. Seems like most people say they will charge you if they catch you.

Dodging tether restrictions on unlimited plans can almost always be answered by getting root and using Android-Wifi-Tether. It's been my go-to for years.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Switched from the Thunderbolt to the Maxx HD today...this should be interesting...

Also, is it still a thing to completely drain a battery before first charging it? or is that something I don't have to do now?

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
I'm in your position with the thunderbolt, and am strongly considering a maxx hd. Ive never heard of that battery charge matter, but I'm curious how "bad" the camera is, since that is slight issue I have with the phone. The thunderbolt is actually really good, considering its dual flash and focus. The maxx HD seems to have a less than steller camera performance. Have you noticed a difference between the cameras yet?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cbear posted:

Switched from the Thunderbolt to the Maxx HD today...this should be interesting...

Also, is it still a thing to completely drain a battery before first charging it? or is that something I don't have to do now?

The battery doesn't need to be conditioned, but the OS needs to calibrate the battery meter. It really doesn't matter for total battery life, but it helps the meter be a bit more accurate.

And holy hell, you are in for a shock.

I just did an 8 hour work day on LTE only (not really much use since I don't use my phone during the day) and left with 97% charge.

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

bull3964 posted:

The battery doesn't need to be conditioned, but the OS needs to calibrate the battery meter. It really doesn't matter for total battery life, but it helps the meter be a bit more accurate.

And holy hell, you are in for a shock.

I just did an 8 hour work day on LTE only (not really much use since I don't use my phone during the day) and left with 97% charge.

Sorry for asking this in two threads... Do you know if the JB soak test has started? I have been playing around with a nexus 7 and I really like some of the features. Too bad the RAZR probably won't get 4.2 till sometime after Key Lime has been out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

XarsonX posted:

Sorry for asking this in two threads... Do you know if the JB soak test has started? I have been playing around with a nexus 7 and I really like some of the features. Too bad the RAZR probably won't get 4.2 till sometime after Key Lime has been out.

I replied in the other thread, my best guess is that it'll start this weekend.

Google can keep 4.2 though, it's junk.

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

bull3964 posted:

I replied in the other thread, my best guess is that it'll start this weekend.

Google can keep 4.2 though, it's junk.

I won't be too broken hearted if they skip it, although I would like to futz around with photosphere. My only real issue is the fact that they might stop at 4.1 and never go to the next version. This pessimism comes from my experience with my current phone, an original droid incredible, that was upgraded to GB then never again.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Going from a Thunderbolt to anything recent/2nd gen LTE handset is going to be mindblowing.

I just dug out my Thunderbolt for alarm purposes (Argh, why doesn't iOS have Gentle Alarm?) and I can't believe I put up with that POS for as long as I did.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

JayKay posted:

(Argh, why doesn't iOS have Gentle Alarm?)
http://www.sleepcycle.com/

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

XarsonX posted:

I won't be too broken hearted if they skip it, although I would like to futz around with photosphere. My only real issue is the fact that they might stop at 4.1 and never go to the next version. This pessimism comes from my experience with my current phone, an original droid incredible, that was upgraded to GB then never again.

Didn't the OG Incredible start off on 2.1? So it actually got 2 major OS upgrades; 2.2 and 2.3

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Didn't the OG Incredible start off on 2.1? So it actually got 2 major OS upgrades; 2.2 and 2.3

Yeah you are right. I forgot it started on eclair. I don't actually remember many great improvements from 2.1 to 2.2 (or 2.2 to 2.3 for that matter) but that might be due to the HTC Sense overlay. Plus it was a long dang time ago.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

JayKay posted:

Going from a Thunderbolt to anything recent/2nd gen LTE handset is going to be mindblowing.

I just dug out my Thunderbolt for alarm purposes (Argh, why doesn't iOS have Gentle Alarm?) and I can't believe I put up with that POS for as long as I did.

I ditched my Thunderbolt for an iPhone 5. It's been mind blowing experience. Imagine my joy of being able to actually USE my phone for its intended purpose.

Posted from my iPhone 5

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

XarsonX posted:

Yeah you are right. I forgot it started on eclair. I don't actually remember many great improvements from 2.1 to 2.2 (or 2.2 to 2.3 for that matter) but that might be due to the HTC Sense overlay. Plus it was a long dang time ago.

2.2 brought some good speed boosts, and 2.3 brought some minor visual improvements like the black status bar, battery usage improvements, the first not terrible stock Android keyboard, and a bunch of speed boosts. All of this was probably ruined by Sense.

Oh yeah 2.2 brought the 'move to SD card' option for apps.

quantegy
May 18, 2002
I'm looking at upgrading my phone on Amazon. We have a family plan (not share everything), one line has 500 txt/month and mine has 250/month. When I go through the process on Amazon it asks me to choose a txt option, but the only one listed is pay per use @ $.20 per txt. Is this going to screw something up on our account? I don't want to get locked into a pay per use txt plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

quantegy posted:

I'm looking at upgrading my phone on Amazon. We have a family plan (not share everything), one line has 500 txt/month and mine has 250/month. When I go through the process on Amazon it asks me to choose a txt option, but the only one listed is pay per use @ $.20 per txt. Is this going to screw something up on our account? I don't want to get locked into a pay per use txt plan.

It likely will, as those plans aren't available anymore. You might be able to call afterwards and have them fix it, or you could go into a store and have them do it.

• Locked thread