Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Truly one of the pressing topics of our time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
http://www.zeit.de/politik/deutschl...rehabilitierung

quote:

Entschädigung für verurteilte Homosexuelle

50.000 Männer wurden in der Bundesrepublik nach dem sogenannten Schwulen-Paragrafen verurteilt, teils zu mehreren Jahren Gefängnis. Jetzt sollen sie entschädigt werden.

quote:

Der Antidiskriminierungsstelle des Bundes zufolge wurden seit 1945 in Deutschland mehr als 50.000 Männer auf Grundlage des schwulenfeindlichen Paragrafen 175 verfolgt und zu teils mehrjährigen Haftstrafen verurteilt. Zudem verloren sie oft Arbeitsplatz und Wohnung und wurden sozial ausgegrenzt.

Bei der Gründung des Deutschen Kaiserreichs 1871 waren homosexuelle Handlungen unter Strafe gestellt worden. Im Nationalsozialismus wurden die Vorschriften verschärft und in dieser Form später in bundesdeutsches Recht übernommen. Erst 1994 wurde der Paragraf 175 endgültig abgeschafft, in der DDR erfolgte dieser Schritt bereits 1968. Im Jahr 2002 wurden Urteile gegen Homosexuelle aus der NS-Zeit aufgehoben, Urteile aus der Zeit danach jedoch nicht.

This is cool and good but also really late.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

quote:

Im Jahr 2002 wurden Urteile gegen Homosexuelle aus der NS-Zeit aufgehoben, Urteile aus der Zeit danach jedoch nicht.
What in the gently caress. This kind of thing should have an apology from mutti merkel on ard, not a partial retread.

quote:

antragsberechtigt
So they even have to *ask* for it.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 1, 2016

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

GaussianCopula posted:

People celebrating Stalin because he defeated Hitler and industrialized Russia. It was sparked by the Russians voting Stalin the greatest Russian.

Still better than voting Adenauer the greatest German

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

skipThings posted:

At least Adenauer was not the worst German.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

skipThings posted:

Who should win that particular award, then?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mithaldu posted:

You're doing Berlin right.

Also, Germany has Uber. We call it "taxis" and the app is called "taxi.eu". It works *literally* like Uber, only you're also insured.

Remember to go to the Datscha on sunday.

Yeahñ i've been looking forward to that brunch. Tomorrow i'll be... gently caress if i know. Getting lost again but i really do want to hit up either CC or the old east german musuem or something and buy a commissar hat. My uber host will be back tomorrow and i might watch the game with him and hus friends after walkijg around more.

I have been drinking. Pardon the typoes.

When's a good day for that potsdam meet up? Would sunday work or does your entire country shut down?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

botany posted:

http://www.zeit.de/politik/deutschl...rehabilitierung

This is cool and good but also really late.

You know which German state legalised homosexuality as early as 1813 (only to see it recriminalised again after entering the Prussia-led Empire in 1871)? That's right, Bavaria :smug:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

System Metternich posted:

You know which German state legalised homosexuality as early as 1813 (only to see it recriminalised again after entering the Prussia-led Empire in 1871)? That's right, Bavaria :smug:
See, if only the bavarians spoke proper deutsch, they could've explained how that's a good idea and benefited everyone.

citybeatnik posted:

i might watch the game with him and hus friends after walkijg around more.
Are you going to watch germans play soccer? My condolences, if so.

citybeatnik posted:

When's a good day for that potsdam meet up? Would sunday work or does your entire country shut down?
I dunno about Potsdam, but 90% of all things shut down, yes. What's open is mostly tourist stuff and food places. Highly recommend looking places' websites up before going and finding them closed.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

citybeatnik posted:

My friend wants to come over to watch the game on Sunday anyway, so that would certainly work. Just Skype me up. I'll probably also be at that friend's place in Charlottenburg tomorrow.

Also Berlin is a bit of a special case when it comes to Sunday shopping. The Ullrich at Zoologischer Garten is open (and full of foreigners) on Sundays and I think there's some other supermarkets here and there. If I remember right, the Vietnamese enclave at Fennpfuhl is closed on Tuesdays but not Sundays so if you want to buy some chicken feet and enjoy a decent Pho you can do it there.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Rushputin posted:

so if you want to buy some chicken feet and enjoy a decent Pho you can do it there.

Holy poo poo really?

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Kopijeger posted:

Who should win that particular award, then?

Martin Sonneborn ? I don't know, but surely not Adenauer

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

citybeatnik posted:

Holy poo poo really?

One of the largest cities in Europe has a vibrant international food scene, who knew.

But yeah Vietnamese food especially is all over in Berlin. Something about solidarity between East Germany and Vietnam back before the wall fell that saw a lot of people coming in to open restaurants.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

One of the largest cities in Europe has a vibrant international food scene, who knew.

But yeah Vietnamese food especially is all over in Berlin. Something about solidarity between East Germany and Vietnam back before the wall fell that saw a lot of people coming in to open restaurants.

Not only East Germany, West Germany opened the borders for refugees from South Vietnam during the Vietnam War. About half of the modern day German Vietnamese population comes from that.

Immigration from Vietnam into Germany continues since then without pause, nowadays there's even a Pagoda for the Buddhist Vietnamese minority in my city: Viên Giác in Hanover is one of the largest of its kind in Europe.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 2, 2016

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Also citybeatnik, I'd recommend getting something from the cheap but great Vietnamese place near my home, but they crazy fuckers are actually closed on Sundays. You know, the day I'm least likely to have food in the house.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rushputin posted:

cheap but great Vietnamese place
Wouldn't mind knowing where that is cause I'm in Potsdam regularly and always on the lookout for good food.

not stalking pinky swear

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Karl-Liebknecht-Straße in Babelsberg, more or less across the Rathaus.

If you're usually on the other shore, I'm not sure if it's worth a trip, since it's not especially fancy or anything - it's just very clean and professional for its price range.

But let me put it that way: My dad is a gourmand and while he isn't above eating at cheaper places in general, this Vietnamese joint is pretty much the only restaurant in the neighbourhood he likes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cheers, gonna keep that in mind for if I'm ever in the area (cause yeah usually I'm at the completely opposite end of town :v:)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Sieht so aus, als käme die Sexualstrafrechtsreform doch nocht dieses Jahr.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

That is by far the dumbest article I've read in a while, holy poo poo. If I roll my eyes any harder they'll fall out of my head.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Who would have thought that feminists and the SPD are going to line up behind Gina Lisa Lohfink in solidarity after she wrongly accused friends of #Nachbar Boateng. What a crazy world this is.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I wanted to give this article the benefit of the doubt, but it really did get worse with every paragraph.

At the end it got so bad I'm now convinced all men should be shot, without trial. To take this into context, the article wanted to defend men. It wasn't convincing.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Libluini posted:

I wanted to give this article the benefit of the doubt, but it really did get worse with every paragraph.

At the end it got so bad I'm now convinced all men should be shot, without trial. To take this into context, the article wanted to defend men. It wasn't convincing.

Just in case you missed it, here is the byline

quote:

Von Sabine Rückert

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

GaussianCopula posted:

Just in case you missed it, here is the byline

I didn't know who that was. Yeaaaahhh. She's pretty much the dictionary definition of the rich white liberal.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ahaha, yes, putting your hand on your husband's dick while he is watching football is going to be a crime once the reform passes. Of course. Killer argument here.

Jesus Christ, I love Die Zeit and everything, but sometimes ...

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

waitwhatno posted:

Ahaha, yes, putting your hand on your husband's dick while he is watching football is going to be a crime once the reform passes. Of course. Killer argument here.

Jesus Christ, I love Die Zeit and everything, but sometimes ...

Well, how about putting your hand under your wife's skirt when she says no, because she is watching Shopping Queen? No means no and all that.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, how about putting your hand under your wife's skirt when she says no, because she is watching Shopping Queen? No means no and all that.

If your marriage is at a point where your wife is filing charges against you for touching her, you probably shouldn't be touching her in the first place. :eng101:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

waitwhatno posted:

If your marriage is at a point where your wife is filing charges against you for touching her, you probably shouldn't be touching her in the first place. :eng101:

Well, she could also file charges four years later, after a very emotional divorce.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

Well, she could also file charges four years later, after a very emotional divorce.

She could do this before too by making up some bullshit. It would have been just as successful.

I mean, don't you find it completely ridiculous that you need to physical resist for it to count as rape? When you are mugged, the general police advice is to never resist and do everything the mugger says, cause money is replaceable and your health/life isn't. But in cases of rape it's suddenly all "Victory or Valhalla"? Why?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

waitwhatno posted:

She could do this before too by making up some bullshit. It would have been just as successful.

I mean, don't you find it completely ridiculous that you need to physical resist for it to count as rape? When you are mugged, the general police advice is to never resist and do everything the mugger says, cause money is replaceable and your health/life isn't. But in cases of rape it's suddenly all "Victory or Valhalla"? Why?

No, I absolutely agree, especially the part about deciding not to resist to not endanger yourself. That's a glaring omission in the current law.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

waitwhatno posted:

I mean, don't you find it completely ridiculous that you need to physical resist for it to count as rape?

I guess it's a good thing that physical resisting is not required under our current criminal law either then.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Bless whichever one of y'all that suggested Datscha.

East Berlin is basically East Austin it feels like, only instead of Spanish it's German.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Big shout out to rushputin for hosting me in potsdam for the day. It was fun! And i managed to make it back to the airbnb.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Hooray!

Yeah, it was fun. Thanks for the overpriced bad booze. :D

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Randler posted:

I guess it's a good thing that physical resisting is not required under our current criminal law either then.

Yeah the whole thing seems like a campaign to mobilize feminist voters for the SPD to be honest. And I have nothing against feminism obviously but the law as it is seems perfectly adequate to me.
I really dislike politicians playing with their legislative power and using the usual echo chambers of party institutions and affiliated journalists to forward their own career.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
No the law should be overhauled, it's just questionable if this is the right fix. Sexual assault by law required an aspect of force, either actual or threatened. If the victim is so scared that force becomes unneccessary, or if the attacker uses threats but it's not a threat of immediate danger to bodily integrity, it's not sexual assault. That's what the law proposes to amend. As always Randler will now nitpick some aspect of this post.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

botany posted:

As always Randler will now nitpick some aspect of this post.

Nah, the inaccuracies in there are minor compared to people saying physical resistance is required, so I don't bother. :v:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

botany posted:

No the law should be overhauled, it's just questionable if this is the right fix. Sexual assault by law required an aspect of force, either actual or threatened. If the victim is so scared that force becomes unneccessary, or if the attacker uses threats but it's not a threat of immediate danger to bodily integrity, it's not sexual assault. That's what the law proposes to amend. As always Randler will now nitpick some aspect of this post.

So if say my boss comes to me and says "Sleep with me or I'll get you fired" then this wouldn't constitute sexual assault/rape under the current law?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

So if say my boss comes to me and says "Sleep with me or I'll get you fired" then this wouldn't constitute sexual assault/rape under the current law?

That's sexual harrassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Nötigung zum Beischlaf durch Gewalt oder Drohung mit gegenwärtiger Gefahr für Leib oder Leben: Vergewaltigung nach § 175; Strafrahmen: 2-15 Jahre.

Nötigung zum Beischlaf durch andere Nötigungsmittel ("Kündigung als Drohung mit empfindlichen Übel"): Besonders schwerer Fall der Nötigung, § 240; Strafrahmen: 6 Monate bis 5 Jahre.

Ausnutzung einer schutzlosen Lage zum Vollzug des Beischlafs: Vergewaltigung nach § 175; Strafrahmen: 2-15 Jahre.