Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I've lost so many boomerangs. They are my favorite weapon hands down but they hit a wall and just disappear I swear to god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Quick question: is there some special thing with monster parts that say they "might have some use" like guts and eyes? Just more elixir fodder or are they used for something somewhere? Also what do I do with these mountains of chuchu jelly I have?

I threw mine off a mountain. Couldn't help but laugh when it didn't come back.

Some gear can be upgraded with monster items

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I've been to a lot of dangerous places now in search of this but I can't find it. Where is it in relation to Kakariko? 2 upgrades aren't enough, I need more upgrades from him ASAP :v:

Do what Hestu says to do: follow the Hylia River north. It's on the eastern bank of the river.

Stables are always(?) along roads, too, so you can just take the road that's parallel to the river northward and you'll come across it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Better weapons can do strong damage and gently caress up the guardian, but you can literally beat them with a pot lid by perfect parrying the laser 3 times.

did not realize this was possible, assumed the laser would outright shatter any and all shields

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

Some gear can be upgraded with monster items

Oh yeah, I totally forgot. That reminds me, I absolutely love the design of the Great Fairy in this game. :allears: Are the rest in super dangerous, remote areas? I've been exploring a lot but haven't found any other than the first one. I imagine being able to upgrade twice and get set bonuses is a pretty big deal.

Harrow posted:

Do what Hestu says to do: follow the Hylia River north. It's on the eastern bank of the river.

Stables are always(?) along roads, too, so you can just take the road that's parallel to the river northward and you'll come across it.

Oh, I figured it would be closer to Lanayru :v:

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

is it actually *worth* fighting Lynels in advance? what do you get

Upgrading the Barbarian set of armor requires Lynel parts. If you want its sweet set bonus, you need to get them all to +2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The shrines are really cool and offer what I think are some of the more clever puzzles I've seen in Zelda games. But I agree with someone from the chat thread (I don't remember who) who said it'd be cool if they combined all the shrines in each region into a dungeon instead of individual shrines. That'd be enough shrines to make several good-sized dungeons. Just have each one give the equivalent of two spirit orb upgrades or something so you have the same upgrade mechanic.

I'm a little torn in that it's cool to hunt down individual shrines, but collecting puzzles like these into themed collections for dungeons would've been awesome.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Sorry, turns out it's called the Wetland Stable, my bad :v: It's in the Lanayru Wetlands.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Harrow posted:

The shrines are really cool and offer what I think are some of the more clever puzzles I've seen in Zelda games. But I agree with someone from the chat thread (I don't remember who) who said it'd be cool if they combined all the shrines in each region into a dungeon instead of individual shrines. That'd be enough shrines to make several good-sized dungeons. Just have each one give the equivalent of two spirit orb upgrades or something so you have the same upgrade mechanic.

I'm a little torn in that it's cool to hunt down individual shrines, but collecting puzzles like these into themed collections for dungeons would've been awesome.

I disagree. That'd be exhausting doing so many puzzles in a row. The shrines are perfect because they have the perfect length and the gimmick never overstays its welcome and the rewards are constant and always valuable.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Better weapons can do strong damage and gently caress up the guardian, but you can literally beat them with a pot lid by perfect parrying the laser 3 times.
what the gently caress. I didn't even try that. Guess I'm never going to be scared of them again then

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what the gently caress. I didn't even try that. Guess I'm never going to be scared of them again then

The timing is really tight and practicing is hard.

Feels good if you can pull it off though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I disagree. That'd be exhausting doing so many puzzles in a row. The shrines are perfect because they have the perfect length and the gimmick never overstays its welcome and the rewards are constant and always valuable.

I suppose it's true that it's nice to have bite-sized dungeons like that.

So if there are 120 shrines, maybe it would've been cool to take, like, 20 of them and combine them into 10-shrine dungeons, but keep the rest separate?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I really like the shrines are just loving everywhere and rarely take more than like 10 minutes. It's quick and easy work for essentially a heart piece or a stamina gauge piece that you can get and feel good about without it being 30 - 40 minutes of work. Them being tossed around the region really guides my exploration personally, where I'll try and take the longest route between two shrines as a Point A and Point B. If they were all contained in one mini-dungeon, it would really deincentivize exploration. I would find that and then just move on to the quest marker. Right now, the quest marker is the last thing I go to cause I'm leaping around everywhere looking for that orange glow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

I suppose it's true that it's nice to have bite-sized dungeons like that.

So if there are 120 shrines, maybe it would've been cool to take, like, 20 of them and combine them into 10-shrine dungeons, but keep the rest separate?

No, they're fine as they are. It's nice to break up exploration and murder with a puzzle every so often, lumping them all into one big dungeon would just be tedious and leave you wanting out ASAP instead of enjoying yourself.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Something I've remembered that I still haven't tried is that the koroks say they'll reward you for doing their quests, stuff that'll help you pull out the master sword. Are they going to give me heart containers? Also koroks rule, the deku tree being super grumpy rules, lost woods and korok forest rules

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

checksin posted:

people ask this constantly and nobody answers and it's driving me mad
thread, please just tell my dumb rear end what to do with my shiny rocks

All the guardian loot is used to construct ancient items that are effective against guardians, and will boost your defense against them. Robbie runs a lab in akkala that you can get them from at one hell of a loving cost.

Horns and fangs are used in elixirs and some crafting. If the item description says "it might have another use" then it's for crafting. Elixirs can be cooked, crafting is done through great fairies once you've paid to revive them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

Something I've remembered that I still haven't tried is that the koroks say they'll reward you for doing their quests, stuff that'll help you pull out the master sword. Are they going to give me heart containers? Also koroks rule, the deku tree being super grumpy rules, lost woods and korok forest rules

They're technically right; each Trial ends at a Shrine. Also you'll need 13 hearts to pull the sword out and not die like a wimpy little coward unfit to wield it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is the blood moon random or triggered by something?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

snoremac posted:

Every couple of days.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Couple questions:

Is there a good way to farm ancient cores? I have plenty of money and want to buy the robbie armor but am short on cores.

Can you continue doing shrines and side quests and stuff after beating the game? I think I am very near the end.

Wtf is a Farosh and where can I find it?

Is there a champion hat / pants? Or just tunic.

Where can you find the hat / pants for barbarian armor?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Sneaked into Hyrule Castle to grab a memory and some really cool poo poo happened:

Music Spoiler:

The music in that area is already pretty sweet. It combines Ganon's theme with shades of Ballad of the Wind Fish and at times Link's Theme. But in Zelda's room and Zelda's study, the instrumentation seamlessly changes to organ, very reminiscent of Link to the Past's Sanctuary and the section that was Link's Theme layered over the castle theme instead becomes *Zelda's* theme layered over the same, with all those minor, threatening chords. As soon as you step out of either of those rooms the previous instrumentation resumes with Link's theme back in place. It's all seamless and I'm wondering if other areas of the castle do that. It was awesome.

Also, got all the memories and:

Story Spoiler:

At first while getting them and talking to people I was under the impression that everyone being dead and Ganon still being alive was all YOUR fault, but after viewing the last, hidden memory, the truth comes out: it wasn't your fault. You didn't even get to fight Ganon. You died taking on like two dozen Guardians at the same time because Zelda hasn't ever been able to manifest the power she is supposed to have. It's ZELDA'S fault, and all her standoffish attitude towards you in those other memories was because you managed to get the Master sword to speak to you basically instantly. It just reminded her that her own destiny was always out of reach.

So her power manifests, but literally only after Link it dying of exhaustion from fighting all those guardians. She uses the power to save him...but too late.

It was a bit of a narrative twist I wasn't looking for.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

snoremac posted:

Not surr, I've had it trigger twice in a row during the same night before so I'm leaning towards there being some trigger and randomness. Like I thibk there are certain overworld quests that trigger it so you can't cheese them easily by cleaning out all enemies beforehand (I had it triggered twice in a row when I tried to do it with the guardian guarding Robbie's lab for the blue flame delivery)

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

cheesetriangles posted:

Wtf is a Farosh and where can I find it?

Farosh is one of the dragons that are out and about Hyrule just minding their own business. I know for sure that Farosh spawns in the morning around Lake Hylia:

You don't kill it. You have to shoot an arrow at its horn to make part of its horn fall off. Otherwise you get a scale if you hit anywhere else. He only drops one item per day.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ComposerGuy posted:

Farosh is one of the dragons that are out and about Hyrule just minding their own business. I know for sure that Farosh spawns in the morning around Lake Hylia:
Is that in the Southern part of the map? I saw this long, green dragon-looking thing flying around and decided not to go any further. :staredog:

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

irlZaphod posted:

Is that in the Southern part of the map? I saw this long, green dragon-looking thing flying around and decided not to go any further. :staredog:

Yeah. There's two other dragons as well and you can do the same thing. They won't attack you but Farosh's body shoots off electrical balls randomly (involuntarily according to the beastiary entry) so you have to watch for that. Otherwise they just...exist. Oblivious to your own existence. It's actually pretty cool.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Zore posted:

the special prize is the ability to trigger the maracca dancing animation the big Korok does when you upgrade your poo poo at will. You only need 441 to fully upgrade all your slots

This is the best thing I've heard about this game. gently caress everything else.

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot. That reminds me, I absolutely love the design of the Great Fairy in this game. :allears: Are the rest in super dangerous, remote areas? I've been exploring a lot but haven't found any other than the first one. I imagine being able to upgrade twice and get set bonuses is a pretty big deal.

Someone on the design team has a thing for huge svelt women, I swear. I'm not complaining, though. There's a lot of great character variety with a few exceptions.

Great fairies tend to just be in places that are not... obvious. Two of them are within gliding distance of some of the towers if you look hard enough and one of them is wicked far out of the way.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah. Honestly it isn't dangerous, it'll lazily shoot easy to dodge electric balls at you but mostly just travels on its daily route.

You should shoot it and pay attention though

Also all dragons create updrafts so yoy can sky chase them with your glider. Its loving great.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Zore posted:

Not surr, I've had it trigger twice in a row during the same night before so I'm leaning towards there being some trigger and randomness. Like I thibk there are certain overworld quests that trigger it so you can't cheese them easily by cleaning out all enemies beforehand (I had it triggered twice in a row when I tried to do it with the guardian guarding Robbie's lab for the blue flame delivery)

That's a shame. I'm doing a quest that requires me to take my clothes off for the blood moon but it didn't show up.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I figured out how to get into the Lost Woods all by myself and now I feel smart.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I love that I can just glide on top of the labyrinths and run along them until I see something below me that looks interesting. Really are a bunch of ways to play this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something I've generally loved about Nintendo's games is the aesthetic they use for magic. It's always different and it's always great. Even in, say, Mario games, it's sometimes something special, like the geometric shapes thrown around by Magikoopa. I liked the weird squares of the Twilight Realm in Twilight Princess and Ghirahim's diamond shapes.

In this one, it looks so fluid. All of the blue light effects are awesome, from the Guardian weapons to the little blue light droplet and splash that Guidance Stones use to put new powers or data on your slate. I enjoy the contrast it has with the dingy metal of the Guardians--everything looks old and clunky and heavy, except for the magic energy, which shimmers and flows and splashes like water.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Anybody here playing the game with the Pro HUD? When I get the game this weekend that's how I plan to play, turning the HUD off as soon as I can. it seems like the game communicates stuff pretty well without needing the extra HUD elements and the landscape looks varied and distinct enough that you can navigate without a minimap.

Also, while the game lets you do the dungeons in any order do they still follow a loose "difficulty curve" where the game kinda nudges you to do certain ones earlier on?

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 6, 2017

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
It was really, really interesting to hear how a co-worker got to a place completely different from how I did.

Still in the early area, he got to the snowy mountain by cooking a recipe that gave him a huge cold resistance and he just booked it to the snowy shrine. Alternatively, I cooked the recipe that netted me the fleece from the old man an I was able to take my time. I wouldn't have even thought to just stack resistance potions to get through the snow.

Also spent an hour dragging a metal box down a huge mountain to a tower I didn't have enough stamina to climb. Chest at the top only had 10 arrows in it but man was it a huge blast to wander off, raid a few Moblin nests and steal their hosed up ancient box and use it to raid a pillar that had a chest at the top that some poor schmo likely had to put up there 100 years ago under the instruction that the Hero of Time will need it after Hyrule gets the Trump treatment

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Louisgod posted:

It was really, really interesting to hear how a co-worker got to a place completely different from how I did.

Still in the early area, he got to the snowy mountain by cooking a recipe that gave him a huge cold resistance and he just booked it to the snowy shrine. Alternatively, I cooked the recipe that netted me the fleece from the old man an I was able to take my time. I wouldn't have even thought to just stack resistance potions to get through the snow.

Also spent an hour dragging a metal box down a huge mountain to a tower I didn't have enough stamina to climb. Chest at the top only had 10 arrows in it but man was it a huge blast to wander off, raid a few Moblin nests and steal their hosed up ancient box and use it to raid a pillar that had a chest at the top that some poor schmo likely had to put up there 100 years ago under the instruction that the Hero of Time will need it after Hyrule gets the Trump treatment

You also could carry a torch.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Augus posted:

Anybody here playing the game with the Pro HUD? When I get the game this weekend that's how I plan to play, turning the HUD off as soon as I can. it seems like the game communicates stuff pretty well without needing the extra HUD elements and the landscape looks varied and distinct enough that you can navigate without a minimap.

Also, while the game lets you do the dungeons in any order do they still follow a loose "difficulty curve" where the game kinda nudges you to do certain ones earlier on?

Yeah I turned the full HUD off once I figured out how everything worked. The game gives you enough subtle info about noise, temperature, etc. for it to not be needed. I also like that it gets rid of the minimap so I have to navigate for real instead of just staring at the minimap.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Which items can I safely sell off to vendors? I've got no problems selling the occasional monster part, but I have no idea if for example the amber I'm finding will come in handy later.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The mini guide at MyNintendo is nice. It's less of a guide and more of a "look at all the stuff you can do" Like freezing meat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of character designs, I'm a bit sad that the Zora we saw in the trailers is apparently dead and only shows up in flashbacks since she looked really interesting, but drat if Sidon isn't pretty great too :allears: At first I was like "but this is the wrong Zora <:(>" however it took like all of 1 cutscene before he won me over.

Harrow posted:

In this one, it looks so fluid. All of the blue light effects are awesome, from the Guardian weapons to the little blue light droplet and splash that Guidance Stones use to put new powers or data on your slate. I enjoy the contrast it has with the dingy metal of the Guardians--everything looks old and clunky and heavy, except for the magic energy, which shimmers and flows and splashes like water.

Yeah, the effects in this game are jawdropping. As a person into the nitty-gritty of videogames, I would die to see the shaders they use for some of these effects :v:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah. Honestly it isn't dangerous, it'll lazily shoot easy to dodge electric balls at you but mostly just travels on its daily route.

You should shoot it and pay attention though

Also all dragons create updrafts so yoy can sky chase them with your glider. Its loving great.
I want to fight one :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I'm super interested in how this game came about at all. For literally 20 years Nintendo has been walking away from the "total freedom" approach that Zelda 1 pioneered, and now bam, we're back with the freest Zelda title of all time. Was it sales numbers - did Skyward Sword sell less than expected? Or have Nintendo employees been monitoring online communities and seeing people's complaints about the extreme linearity and handholding of recent titles? Or were people inside Nintendo unhappy with the recent zeldas and wanted a change?

Either way they did a good thing because this is one of the best games of all time and Skyward Sword without the "zelda" name would have been a C- action title that nobody cared about!