Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deadulus posted:

I have only gotten a few episodes into Luke Cage, but I take it that the writer of that article has watched none of it.

The bad guy is a black gangster and a corrupt local black politician.

Luke Cage is also portrayed somewhat conservative with another character jokingly calling him Fox News when he goes off on criminals.

MCU Luke Cage is basically Captain America only instead of getting his super soldier serum in the army he got it in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Barudak posted:

Typically the get repuroposed where possible but to be frank their so big and few are proper domes that many simply lay dormant outside of 8 weekends a year especially in the winter. If soccer drew bigger crowds across the us it'd be less of an issue since they could be made dual use without the same issues that dual use baseball/football stadiums faced.

Now basketball/hockey stadiums those can work for other smaller venues.

Yea, our hockey stadium gets used for tons of concerts or other events, our football stadium, not so much.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Clinton +36 in yesterday's MD poll . . . proud of my dumb state :911:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
the rams sold us on the idea that their new stadium wouldn't cost any public money, only whoops turns out there's a clause in the contract that has the city of inglewood on the hook for $100 million.

and now the angels have been playing the "we're gonna move to tustin" card to try and get anaheim to build them a new stadium.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

comingafteryouall posted:

As a person who has never really lived near an NFL stadium, do they ever get used for things other than football games? I could maybe see a multi-use stadium that was booked up throughout the year being worth it.
I went to a music festival at Ravens stadium in the late 90s. There were 70,000+ people. They blocked off half the field to protect the grass for the football games, and covered the rest in a weird heavy tarp thing.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Only problem is, if given a choice, voters would choose to divert money to the sport team from areas like education or infrastructure.

Not only that, but owning a competitive sports team is incredibly expensive because you have to offer the stupid million dollar salaries to attract talent. We'd have to completely revamp the way sports works to make it viable.

By that I mean nationalize all professional sports. :getin:

I don't really know sports and don't actually have a strong opinion either way past "gently caress rich dudes."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WampaLord posted:

Yea, our hockey stadium gets used for tons of concerts or other events, our football stadium, not so much.

Lambeau actually gets used year round now. And you can rent out smaller areas of it for weddings and whatnot

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Not only that, but owning a competitive sports team is incredibly expensive because you have to offer the stupid million dollar salaries to attract talent. We'd have to completely revamp the way sports works to make it viable.

I don't really know sports and don't actually have a strong opinion either way past "gently caress rich dudes."

The players getting paid isn't your problem then, because they're some of the few examples of unions worth a drat in America.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

you realize that the teams make money that pays those athletes. the NFL would be easy for a city to own. it's a money printing machine

Barudak
May 7, 2007

iospace posted:

Lambeau actually gets used year round now. And you can rent out smaller areas of it for weddings and whatnot

I cannot imagine a more Wisconsin thing and I also can't believe they haven't always been doing it.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/RWTQuotes/status/784098759433216000

Donald Trump's spokeswoman Katrina Pierson on Muslim ban: “So What? They’re Muslim!”

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Deadulus posted:

I have only gotten a few episodes into Luke Cage, but I take it that the writer of that article has watched none of it.

The bad guys are a black gangster and a corrupt local black politician.

Luke Cage is also portrayed somewhat conservative with another character jokingly calling him Fox News when he goes off on criminals.

The series is a right wing wet dream, black people protesting the police in the show are doing it because a corrupt black politician is tricking them for her own advantage/to sow violence. They did do cop on black violence too but it was a black cop who was upset because his partner was killed and was punished right away reasonably but the black lives matter people still protest.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

No Butt Stuff posted:

you realize that the teams make money that pays those athletes. the NFL would be easy for a city to own. it's a money printing machine

I don't really agree that, that model (sports as a multi-billion dollar, expensive industry with lots of advertising) is actually good, personally.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

NFL franchises are extremely valuable and profitable.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2015/09/14/the-most-valuable-teams-in-the-nfl/#2ada9d05326f

quote:

The NFL’s rising tide has lifted all boats. The average NFL team is worth $1.97 billion, 38% more than last year. The gain was fueled by a $39 million increase in national revenue for each of the league’s 32 teams. The NFL is unlike any other sports league in that from an operating standpoint every team is immensely profitable. In 2014, operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) averaged $76 million for the league’s 32 teams, ranging from a high of $270 million (Cowboys) to a low of $25 million (Atlanta Falcons).

Even if they don’t play in a big market or profit from hosting non-NFL events at their stadium, owners can still make an obscene amount of money if they consistently put a top-notch product on the field. Prime example: The Indianapolis Colts, who have made the playoffs 16 times over the past 20 years, posted $90 million in operating income last season, eighth-most in the league.

One big reason for football’s dominance: the money geyser of broadcasting revenue from NBC, CBS, Fox and ESPN due to the league’s dominating television ratings. The league’s 32 teams equally shared $4.4 billion in national broadcasting revenue last season, compared with just $1.1 billion for Major League Baseball and $974 million for the National Basketball Association. (The latter’s new TV deal will, however, will average $2.5 billion a year starting with the 2016–17 season).

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

canepazzo posted:

Quinnipiac poll out, national, 45-40 Clinton (50-44 h2h), was 44-43 (47-46 h2h) in September.

Getting into the 50s in the H2H is really good news.

While Clinton's been ahead I've been slightly worried over it being by virtue of Trump crawling in the low forties to high thirties. That doesn't seem like how the race will ultimately turn out - it's not going to be Clinton 48 Trump 40 Johnson 12. Clinton 53 Trump 45 Johnson 2 is more likely. I just want to make sure those Johnson voters don't all show up to vote for Trump instead. The best insurance against that is getting more than 50% of the vote.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
As much as I instinctively hate the Packers(My family is a bunch of pro-Bears Northern Wisconsinites) the fact that they're a community owned non-profit team is rad as gently caress and I wish the rest of the NFL would follow suit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

As a person who has never really lived near an NFL stadium, do they ever get used for things other than football games? I could maybe see a multi-use stadium that was booked up throughout the year being worth it.

The new stadium for the New York Giants and Jets has so far seen use for WrestleMania, a bunch of concerts, and major college sports. The previous stadium, which was basically right next to it, also hosted professional soccer. The soccer team that used it got their own stadium built a few years before the new football stadium opened.

The current stadium for the Philadelphia Eagles also gets used for concerts outside of football season (where it's also used by one of the university football teams). It also gets used for soccer fairly often.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

iospace posted:

Too bad it's always lovely Kenny Chesney concerts and other bro-country. Do you live in GB? Glad I'm not the only politigoon around here.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A lobbyist from Gazprom helped write Trump's first foreign policy speech: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/donald-trump-campaign-lobbyist-russian-pipeline-229264

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Antti posted:

Getting into the 50s in the H2H is really good news.

While Clinton's been ahead I've been slightly worried over it being by virtue of Trump crawling in the low forties to high thirties. That doesn't seem like how the race will ultimately turn out - it's not going to be Clinton 48 Trump 40 Johnson 12. Clinton 53 Trump 45 Johnson 2 is more likely. I just want to make sure those Johnson voters don't all show up to vote for Trump instead. The best insurance against that is getting more than 50% of the vote.

Not to mention, 538 weighs Quinnipiac as R-leaning; last poll where Clinton was +1 it was adjusted to +4.

Also, have some more minority outreach:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/784431329177993217

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gods bless the Packers for being publicly owned

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

canepazzo posted:

Quinnipiac poll out, national, 45-40 Clinton (50-44 h2h), was 44-43 (47-46 h2h) in September.

Reminder that Quinnipiac skews right.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

metachronos posted:

Too bad it's always lovely Kenny Chesney concerts and other bro-country. Do you live in GB? Glad I'm not the only politigoon around here.

Used to live up in Appleton, now milwaukee

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If DC owned their team it sure as gently caress wouldn't be called the Redskins anymore.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't really agree that, that model (sports as a multi-billion dollar, expensive industry with lots of advertising) is actually good, personally.

But, but why don't they pay DOCTORS tens of millions per year :qq:

Get over it man. People enjoy watching sports, and thus it generates advertising revenue.

There's probably a strong argument that sublimating people's tribalistic tendencies into mostly harmless and pointless sporting conflict is a huge societal benefit, if you need some justification

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

HookedOnChthonics posted:

The point is that in the event of Sanders's victory stuff like that could potentially become a huge and heavy anchor no-true-scotsmanning the Bernie base down. It's a powerful, convenient vector of attack on both his persnickety-outsider-grandpa image and ideological credentials.

Yep. Nobody would care that it isn't super high class - the image of a haughty aristocrat wearing a monocle would be all over the net with snarky text. Argue that it's a popular senator hangout and you damage his outsider cred. It's not fair you say? I'm a Clinton fan, don't talk to me about "fair".

I started the primary in 2015 naively believing that I could make the case for Clinton on her merits. People - including this forum - quickly disabused me of this notion. Ignore McAllister, they're just a gimmick poster. Nobody actually likes shillary KKKlinton. Also, did you know you can call a woman in politics a whore if you use "corporate" as a prefix? It's true!

I discovered that the only way to get people to even listen to accounts of her accomplishments and upsides required first getting them to appraise Bernie with their heads instead of their emotions. Why even consider anyone else, after all, when you have a completely perfect candidate with no flaws of any kind already? Once you had them saying, "ok Berne isn't perfect, but I think his pros outweigh his cons" only then could you have an actual policy based discussion where Hillary's upsides are even acknowledged as existing. And those are the discussions where Hillary kicks butt.

So yes. I have spent the last year doing opposition research on Bernie. You all didn't give me any choice. I have approaches tailored to a wide variety of people with a wide variety of stances.

And here is the thing. When you push someone as perfect it's very easy for research to lower people's opinions of them because any flaw at all shows the claims of perfection to be a lie. Meanwhile when someone is claimed to be the devil made flesh with endless slander research makes you like them more because the truth is so much better than common knowledge. So of course over the last year my enthusiasm for Clinton has been going up up up while my opinion of Sanders has taken a beating. At the beginning I credited him with having a good heart just low social intelligence making him an ineffective vehicle for translating good intentions into policy. Also with a penchant for letting perfect be the enemy of good. Both great people but Clinton is the one who can change the world for the better, even against a GOP held house. I don't believe that about him anymore. I've learned to much about him.

And I absolutely will drop random bombs from my opposition research in response to arguments that we should have nominated Bernie. I want to do it every time some jackass concern troll spouts off about Hillary being a "uniquely bad candidate" but I hold back ... right up until someone actively starts claiming that Bernie would be better. That's where I run out of patience.

For example, this video gives you a window into the timeline where we threw Bernie into the debate against Trump instead of Hillary. In that timeline they also have "stop! He's already dead!" memes ... They just aren't about Trump.

http://www.salon.com/2016/03/18/watch_frustrated_bernie_sanders_walks_out_on_hostile_tv_news_interview/

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hot take: pro sports are poo poo.

I do enjoy women's hockey, shame about the whole no one cares

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Geostomp posted:

I still don't see what they hope to accomplish by continuing to block Garland. It isn't making them look any better, win more cases, and it won't make Trump any more likely to win. So why continue to waste time and money on this ridiculous nine-month stunt?

Precedent, most likely. Assuming Yertle the Turtle isn't only being an obstinate child (which is part of it) him successfully delaying SC appointment to whatever finish line he set let's them do this again. Looking forward the GOP is losing the Presidency, probably for a long time based on demographic shifts. So the only way to keep a strong control of the direction of the country is to remove what is probably the biggest avenue for change that the Executive Office has: Appointing SC judges.

They can't just rely on the House and senate to push for social/economic change towards a conservative ideal since those pushes will probably end up in a court case that will go to the SC and get overturned and thus get fully codified as "They way things are".

So just prevent the SC from being populated by the Dems. I actually expect Yertle to turn heel and say "Congress is still conservative so we have a mandate to prevent Clinton from appointing Judges" and we will suddenly live in a world with 4-4 decisions being the norm.

But really that's probably being kind to the GOP, and he's really just being a loving child.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

But, but why don't they pay DOCTORS tens of millions per year :qq:

Get over it man. People enjoy watching sports, and thus it generates advertising revenue.

There's probably a strong argument that sublimating people's tribalistic tendencies into mostly harmless and pointless sporting conflict is a huge societal benefit, if you need some justification

I don't actually have a problem with the pay, I have a problem with the overall industry bloat and it's exploitive nature. You're making a capitalist argument and I'm not a capitalist, so...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trump's contual attack on the Central Park 5 is so loving disgusting I don't even know what to say. I know it probably won't matter but Clinton should broadcast loud and clear that Trump wants to have literally proven innocent people jailed and killed.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Pick posted:

Hot take: pro sports are poo poo.

I do enjoy women's hockey, shame about the whole no one cares

Give me your lunch money.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Trump's contual attack on the Central Park 5 is so loving disgusting I don't even know what to say. I know it probably won't matter but Clinton should broadcast loud and clear that Trump wants to have literally proven innocent people jailed and killed.

She'll have an excellent opportunity to do exactly that on Sunday.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

iospace posted:

Gods bless the Packers for being publicly owned

So I'm getting the vibe that the Packers have a sustainable model that helps the community, while other teams are just rich guys fleecing the public coffers.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't actually have a problem with the pay, I have a problem with the overall industry bloat and it's exploitive nature. You're making a capitalist argument and I'm not a capitalist, so...

I'm actually not making a capitalist argument at all, or any argument.

You may not "be a capitalist" but I have no doubt that you participate fully and enthusiastically in the capitalist economy so...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

metachronos posted:

Seriously. What the gently caress is up with Wisconsin's weird obsession for lovely country music? It even pervades Milwaukee.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Sensible Thursday posted:

I wish these voter registration numbers came with 2012 stats to compare against, kind of hard to tell how much of this is Cheeto Benito fail and how much is just the usual Democrat ground game edge.

EDIT: Also drat, that is 1/40 of the population of Florida. They grew the registered voter pool by 4 percent.

Not necessarily. There's no way of knowing how many forms are complete, have valid information, how many are new voters vs re-registrations, etc. It does show a huge gulf between the campaigns' ground game so still very positive news.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Boon posted:

Seriously. What the gently caress is up with Wisconsin's weird obsession for lovely country music? It even pervades Milwaukee.

Hickpop is a cancer afflicting suburbs and other havens of white people everywhere.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I'm getting the vibe that the Packers have a sustainable model that helps the community, while other teams are just rich guys fleecing the public coffers.

They pretty much are. The funding for the major renovations was on the ballot instead of some person in a council saying "lol, we're doing this. suck it poors". They have one of the few stadiums where you can make a legitimate argument that boosts the surrounding community even when there isn't a game going on. Then again, it is arguably the most legendary NFL stadium ever, which helps its appeal.

e: oh, and the players rid kids' bikes to practice. They've been doing that since the 50s

Unrelated:
https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/784415030955511808

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 7, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

size1one posted:

Not necessarily. There's no way of knowing how many forms are complete, have valid information, how many are new voters vs re-registrations, etc. It does show a huge gulf between the campaigns' ground game so still very positive news.

Also, lots of college kids end up registering to vote on their campus or at the DMV and never actually show up.

Those are still promising numbers, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, lots of college kids end up registering to vote on their campus or at the DMV and never actually show up.

Those are still promising numbers, though.

Are you never happy?

• Locked thread