Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I got so many games installed on this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
How hard is it to install emulators on the Steam Deck? I've finally gotten around to messing with PCSX2 now that my PS2 is pretty much dead, and I'm curious if I can just get the regular windows version and install it like normal or if I need something for Linux since it's Proton.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Subjunctive posted:

How well does the Cloud Streaming thing work for Xbox Game Pass? I have it, but haven't set it up yet. My internet and wireless are generally pretty excellent and Steam Link works a charm, but I've never tried the cloud stuff before.

Depends on your internet connection, but not great

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hamburgers in pockets posted:

How hard is it to install emulators on the Steam Deck? I've finally gotten around to messing with PCSX2 now that my PS2 is pretty much dead, and I'm curious if I can just get the regular windows version and install it like normal or if I need something for Linux since it's Proton.

you can literally download the Linux version of most every emulator you'd want off the Discover app and it'll work like you're used to. someone else is going to suggest Emu Deck but you don't need that, you can just search up "PCSX2"

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

you can literally download the Linux version of most every emulator you'd want off the Discover app and it'll work like you're used to. someone else is going to suggest Emu Deck but you don't need that, you can just search up "PCSX2"

I've had a few PS2 games (Twisted Metal Black, Destruction Derby Arena) get intermittent stuttering unless SMT is turned off. The way I did it was with Power Tools installed through Emudeck's expert mode. Don't know if it's available stand alone or if there's a stand alone alternative.
Also Emudeck puts the games with artwork in Steam Game Mode so you don't have to muck about with adding non steam games and ugly blank icons.
My opinion is use Emudeck and only install the emus you want

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
For games that are distributed with ScummVM is it generally preferred to use the prepackaged version (via Proton) or to use the Flatpak native build?

I'd guess the prepackaged one would support cloud saves and separate Steam Input mappings. Do they ever have other patches against ScummVM itself?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

If I buy a second hand dreck, do I get a copy of the themes also when I register the deck to me, or is the deck account locked

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

EmuDeck is a set of scripts that will install emulators for basically everything and do basic setup, as well as installing tools like Emulation Station and Steam Rom Manager which help with managing/opening roms in emulators that may not have the best controller support for their menus.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Opopanax posted:

Aw goddamnit, I bought death stranding during the last sale there, haven't gotten to it yet, and now it's coming to game pass next week :argh:

So play it now! The jar baby needs you.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Stormangel posted:

I've had a few PS2 games (Twisted Metal Black, Destruction Derby Arena) get intermittent stuttering unless SMT is turned off. The way I did it was with Power Tools installed through Emudeck's expert mode. Don't know if it's available stand alone or if there's a stand alone alternative.
Also Emudeck puts the games with artwork in Steam Game Mode so you don't have to muck about with adding non steam games and ugly blank icons.
My opinion is use Emudeck and only install the emus you want

what is SMT as it relates to emulation

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Subjunctive posted:

How well does the Cloud Streaming thing work for Xbox Game Pass? I have it, but haven't set it up yet. My internet and wireless are generally pretty excellent and Steam Link works a charm, but I've never tried the cloud stuff before.

i played some forza horizon 5 after setting up cloud streaming and it was surprisingly good

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

HopperUK posted:

So play it now! The jar baby needs you.

I feel like big screen+controller will be better for it, I just haven't had Sony since the PS3 so I grabbed a few "exclusives"

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

tithin posted:

If I buy a second hand dreck, do I get a copy of the themes also when I register the deck to me, or is the deck account locked

The machine itself isn't account locked, but rewards can only be claimed to a Steam account once per machine. Factory resetting the device does not get around this, but RMAing it for a different reason does!

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

EmuDeck is the easiest and I wrote a tutorial for installing it and ROMs and the BIOSes that's in the OP.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I got HDMI Out to my monitor working in SteamOS exactly once.
I don't know what I did to get it to work, and it hasn't worked again since.

It works fine to my TV, it's my super fancy monitor which can't handle it.

When it worked it worked perfectly.

Sigh.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Discovered that a Timbuk2 Vapor Sling is the perfect size to throw the Deck in (including case) with room for other cables, sunglasses, headphones, etc. for weekend trips. Though I wouldn’t make it my primary carrier during the weekday as I need to haul around a lot more.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ragequit posted:

Discovered that a Timbuk2 Vapor Sling is the perfect size to throw the Deck in (including case) with room for other cables, sunglasses, headphones, etc. for weekend trips. Though I wouldn’t make it my primary carrier during the weekday as I need to haul around a lot more.

But then you have a bag dedicated entirely to carrying around video games with you on the weekend

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ShaneB posted:

But then you have a bag dedicated entirely to carrying around video games with you on the weekend

It’s more for the family weekend trips that I toss in the vehicle to keep my standard daily things together. I only have time to break it out after the kids have fallen asleep. I’m not hiking around with it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Steam Deck is dope, I just wish all the big players would get along (Epic, Xbox) and make everything compatible for it. It's pretty amazing how well modern games like Doom and Resident Evil 2 run on it with minimal settings tweaking, or I can go hog-wild and jump into Desktop mode and load up lots of fun Github projects.

Plus the community is just getting started.

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

Is there any chance the input lag on 40hz/40fps lock will ever be improved? Or is that a function of locking the frame rate and refresh rate? I admittedly don't really understand why it's the case in the first place. It's my only complaint about the Deck, except maybe the keyboard. Otherwise a fantastic device.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Halo Infinite runs without any tricks as of one of the recent updates, rarely dips below 60fps to boot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gottagotowork posted:

Is there any chance the input lag on 40hz/40fps lock will ever be improved? Or is that a function of locking the frame rate and refresh rate? I admittedly don't really understand why it's the case in the first place. It's my only complaint about the Deck, except maybe the keyboard. Otherwise a fantastic device.

I really don’t think I’ve ever noticed this.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

gottagotowork posted:

Input lag has nothing to do with refresh rate unless it's loving up some emulation. What are you playing that you don't see input lag at 30 / 60 fps?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GolfHole posted:

It works fine to my TV, it's my super fancy monitor which can't handle it.
Sometimes this happens on my monitor and I have to pull the power plug on it. Nothing else (factory reset) fixes it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

gottagotowork posted:

40hz/fps refreshes the screen every 24ms rather than at 16ms/33ms at 60fps/30fps respectively. That’s it. There’s no added lag as a consequence of running at 40hz.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what is SMT as it relates to emulation

SMT is Simultaneous Multi-Threading and the generic name for what Intel calls Hyperthreading. It basically allows one physical CPU core to show up as two logical cores to the OS. Usually a core isn't using all the features of it's pipeline and SMT gets some extra performance by utilizing those idle parts. It's obviously never as good as an additional physical core, think of it as the performance of a core and a half. Steam Deck's processor has 4 physical cores and SMT turns it into 8 logical cores.

It doesn't really relate to emulation other than PCSX2 looks like it may be loading up two logical cores on the same physical core with concurrent instructions which causes slowdown as they compete for resources. That's totally a guess by the way, I'm no expert.

Stormangel fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 21, 2022

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sometimes this happens on my monitor and I have to pull the power plug on it. Nothing else (factory reset) fixes it.

I think this may be the culprit: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/wse9nh/misconceptions_about_dockshdmi_adapters_4k/

This definitely fits with the sort of weirdness I'm experiencing.
I can get Picture-in-Picture mode to work, for example.

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

Vic posted:

Input lag has nothing to do with refresh rate unless it's loving up some emulation. What are you playing that you don't see input lag at 30 / 60 fps?

I feel input lag at 30/60 as well, but it's most pronounced (as in, annoyingly so) for me when on 40/40. Maybe this is because I rarely use 30/60.

Animal posted:

40hz/fps refreshes the screen every 24ms rather than at 16ms/33ms at 60fps/30fps respectively. That’s it. There’s no added lag as a consequence of running at 40hz.

I'm not the only person to have noticed this. Again, I don't have an understanding of the technical or practical reason behind this, but here's an article summarizing someone's analysis of the frame rate / refresh rate caps and their respective latencies. There's a Tom's Hardware article about it as well.

quote:

Upcapped: 31.8ms
60fps cap: 75.8ms
30fps cap: 145.9ms
50hz/uncapped: 32.5ms
50hz/50fps cap: 94.2ms
50hz/25fps cap: 186.1ms
40hz/uncapped: 34.3ms
40hz/40fps cap: 121.1ms
40hz/20fps cap: 232.0ms

To me, anything that involves fast camera swings or quick button presses suffers a bit under 40/40. I still use it frequently but it's certainly something that I hope Valve can improve upon, especially since 40/40 is otherwise such a sweet spot for visual fluidity and battery life.

gottagotowork fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 21, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Which part of that?

So, seriously, I deal with embedded Linux devices, lovely HDMI adapters, and TVs so regularly to the point where I've manually hex-editted an EDID block from every major TV manufacturer. EDIDs suck, although modern TVs (2020 or later) are generally OK. The information in that post isn't entirely correct--4K@60 4:2:0 is 297 MHz dot-clock (as is 4K@30 4:4:4), so it's within the 300 MHz TMDS clock limitation of HDMI 1.4, but it's a pretty weird mode. However, "modern TVs" support HDMI 2.0 which has significantly increased bandwidth, and the 4K@60 4:4:4 (594 MHz clock) mode works fine as long as your USB-C to HDMI (DP alt mode) adapter doesn't suck (some don't work even when they advertise support) and you don't have lovely cables. Still, sometimes you have to enable this mode on your display--LG televisions for example call it HDMI Ultra Deep Color (or something to that effect). On my Dell P2415Q there's a semi-documented button combo to "disable HDMI 1.4" (which means, enable HDMI 2.0).

Still, sometimes displays are dumb about this sort of thing and you have to EDID hack. Hardware EDID emulators exist, but the Linux kernel actually supports an EDID override with the drm.edid_firmware kernel command line parameter. I haven't tried this on a Deck, but it works fine on other Linux boxes so I'm a bit surprised the Reddit folks haven't figured it out yet.

All that aside, when you run into issues where the display actually works the first time and then doesn't work reliably later, I don't know, doing a full power-cycle often fixes it and nothing else does. Something oddly stateful gets set in the monitor. It's not the Deck doing it, anyways.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 21, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Some pretty big jumps in 360 emulation

https://youtu.be/qVDCPUczUiM

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Gay Retard posted:

Steam Deck is dope, I just wish all the big players would get along (Epic, Xbox) and make everything compatible for it. It's pretty amazing how well modern games like Doom and Resident Evil 2 run on it with minimal settings tweaking, or I can go hog-wild and jump into Desktop mode and load up lots of fun Github projects.

Plus the community is just getting started.

Epic has a weird vendetta against Valve so they'll never get on board. Hell they'll probably quietly make their stuff work worse on it. Microsoft is decently on board as they support streaming via edge on the deck and other things.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Microsoft somehow got a lot of goodwill for doing, not a whole lot. Linux Edge was already out and they just posted a paragraph on their website about how to install a flatpak that they don't make and add it to Steam. They want you to stream their games to everything but aren't going out of their way to support the deck. Wake me up when they somehow get the Xbox app running on Linux.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

homeless snail posted:

Microsoft somehow got a lot of goodwill for doing, not a whole lot. Linux Edge was already out and they just posted a paragraph on their website about how to install a flatpak that they don't make and add it to Steam. They want you to stream their games to everything but aren't going out of their way to support the deck. Wake me up when they somehow get the Xbox app running on Linux.

okay

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Where am I wrong

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Got a steam deck;

is there an easy way to transfer files between the steam deck and a PC?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I was just saying I would wake you when there is an xbox app for linux like you asked

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tithin posted:

Got a steam deck;

I'm waiting on a Steam Deck but I feel pretty confident you could SSH to the steam deck using Putty on your PC. The most you'd probably have to do is start the ssh service on the steam deck, get the IP of your steam deck, and then enter that into Putty. heck theres probably a guide somewhere for that even

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

tithin posted:

Got a steam deck;

warpinator on the deck, winpinator on the PC has been the way I've been doing it

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

gottagotowork posted:

IIRC you get less lag if you uncap the fps and then enforce vsync in-game instead of using the overlay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

gottagotowork posted:

I feel input lag at 30/60 as well, but it's most pronounced (as in, annoyingly so) for me when on 40/40. Maybe this is because I rarely use 30/60.

I'm not the only person to have noticed this. Again, I don't have an understanding of the technical or practical reason behind this, but here's an article summarizing someone's analysis of the frame rate / refresh rate caps and their respective latencies. There's a Tom's Hardware article about it as well.

To me, anything that involves fast camera swings or quick button presses suffers a bit under 40/40. I still use it frequently but it's certainly something that I hope Valve can improve upon, especially since 40/40 is otherwise such a sweet spot for visual fluidity and battery life.

The data from the original reddit post:

quote:

The data presented in a sensible order:

quote:

75.8/(1000/60) = 4.548
94.2/(1000/50) = 4.71
121.1/(1000/40) = 4.844
145.9/(1000/30) = 4.377
186.1/(1000/25) = 4.6525
232.0/(1000/20) = 4.64

In conclusion, Rogue Legacy 2 has ~4 frames of input latency and the people who post on reddit or write for GameRant and Tom's Hardware aren't very bright.