Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Tag Madubuike, see what Zeitler and Clowney want. I did not know this was Malik Harrison's contract year, but I guess it makes sense cause we didn't pick up Queen's 5th year so that's probably why its fuckin with me. There's a shitload of dudes on that list and snap count totals but also only Stone, Queen and Madabuike have kinda priced themselves out of Baltimore.

Hate that Duvernay could never get an offensive role but that feels like a behind the scenes thing and I dont think he was ever great at getting open. Simpson was weirdly decent this year, but between him, Zeitler, and Stanley, T/G remains the sensible 1st round draft pick if there is one.

Everyone else on there (other than Hutnley, and technically Ott cause we were supposed to have our LS of the future before training camp) is fine to bring back and likely can be brought back cheap if they wanna come back. Dobbins included - dude might want a change of pace just cause of how miserable the last like 3 years have been for him but he's not gonna have a market regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odovaucer
Oct 23, 2003
Ostrogoth

Borsche69 posted:

Tag Madubuike, see what Zeitler and Clowney want. I did not know this was Malik Harrison's contract year, but I guess it makes sense cause we didn't pick up Queen's 5th year so that's probably why its fuckin with me. There's a shitload of dudes on that list and snap count totals but also only Stone, Queen and Madabuike have kinda priced themselves out of Baltimore.

Hate that Duvernay could never get an offensive role but that feels like a behind the scenes thing and I dont think he was ever great at getting open. Simpson was weirdly decent this year, but between him, Zeitler, and Stanley, T/G remains the sensible 1st round draft pick if there is one.

Everyone else on there (other than Hutnley, and technically Ott cause we were supposed to have our LS of the future before training camp) is fine to bring back and likely can be brought back cheap if they wanna come back. Dobbins included - dude might want a change of pace just cause of how miserable the last like 3 years have been for him but he's not gonna have a market regardless.

Duvernay was WR1 for most of 2022, and did nothing with it.

Agree Beeks is getting tagged, and Clowney, Queen, Stone have priced themselves out. Zeitler is a luxury; they gotta give Sala/Cleveland/Vorhees a chance. Would like to hang onto Agholor and Darby who were better than expected but flew under the radar, OBJ to delay that 11M dead cap hit, and one of Dobbins/Gus/Cook in case we don't find another serviceable UDFA RB. Everybody else was plucked off the scrapheap and their replacements are gonna be found the same way.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Cavauro posted:

Lamar's Turdiak

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Odovaucer posted:

Everybody else was plucked off the scrapheap and their replacements are gonna be found the same way.

Agreed with everything prior but yeah this is always my biggest takeaway whenever the roster turnover causes any handwringing. I love EDC and all that, but frankly sometimes players just ball out and it's not like the FO can force like 5 couch/scrapheap players to have career years all in the same year. If you told me that Clowney was gonna play all 17 games and 2 playoff games and end the year healthy, I'd call you names. If you told me he was gonna get double digit sacks, I'd pray for you. That both actually happened is crazy.

I could potentially see Clowney wanting to come back just because he's clearly had a better season and enjoyed himself more than anywhere he's been prior, but I could also see that just meaning he's more confident in himself and will continue to do mercenary 1 year guaranteed contracts ala Darrelle Revis at the end of his career to max out payroll

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Macdonald is gone for sure with Johnson and Slowik deciding to stay.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

mightygerm posted:

Yeah, sucks.

On the other hand the Orioles and I are freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sharknado slashfic posted:

Yeah, sucks.

On the other hand the Orioles and I are freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

the angelos are finally gone?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

no loving way

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Borsche69 posted:

the angelos are finally gone?

The long nightmare is over

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sharknado slashfic posted:

The long nightmare is over

hold the phone. im being told it was sold to some loving private equity VC fuckers

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Of all the talking heads, Bill Barnwell is the only one to correctly identify what the Chiefs did right to stop the Ravens offense.

Barnwell posted:

The Chiefs took away the Ravens’ intermediate passing game. While Jackson isn’t always a great deep passer, he has thrived in slicing teams apart in the intermediate range. On throws between 11 and 20 yards in the air this season, his 95.9 QBR was the league’s best mark. He hit about four throws for 63 yards per game in this range during the regular season.

While Spagnuolo was clearly willing to cede underneath completions to Hill and Edwards, the Chiefs did a great job of dropping into those intermediate throwing lanes, taking away the throws Jackson usually wants to hit. He had just one completion on an intermediate pass all game, and that didn’t come until the fourth quarter, when he found Nelson Agholor for a 39-yard catch-and-run. He went 1-of-4 on intermediate throws.

The Chiefs forced Jackson to throw deep downfield; while he hit two completions to Zay Flowers, his other five deep attempts were incomplete. Going 2-for-7 isn’t a bad completion rate on those deep throws, but after a Flowers touchdown on a scramble drill, the Ravens didn’t get enough out of their other big plays.

Without all the turnovers or a better game plan they could have survived it, but Lamar has been poo poo on the deep ball all year and outstanding throwing to level 2. The chiefs took away level 2 and that neutered the Ravens passing game.

If Lamar becomes a league average deep ball thrower this off season, either improving his game or his pass catchers, he's winning the MVP again.

Then they'll find some new way to poo poo it away in the playoffs.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Of all the talking heads, Bill Barnwell is the only one to correctly identify what the Chiefs did right to stop the Ravens offense.

Without all the turnovers or a better game plan they could have survived it, but Lamar has been poo poo on the deep ball all year and outstanding throwing to level 2. The chiefs took away level 2 and that neutered the Ravens passing game.

If Lamar becomes a league average deep ball thrower this off season, either improving his game or his pass catchers, he's winning the MVP again.

Then they'll find some new way to poo poo it away in the playoffs.

I may be off base but the deep ball stuff is overrated. If they're all gonna drop to clog passing lanes, then have some more short underneath routes. I don't want to rewatch the game for obvious reasons, but I felt the reason why their intermediate passing game was good was that jackson was WAY better at taking what the defenses were giving him, willing to throw short completions on soft coverage, and get better second and third downs. The couple of drives that got into the redzone definitely felt like he took advantage of that. But the drives that stalled out all felt like there were no dumpoff options or jackson never wanted to take them.

This is ignoring the run game entirely, that's a separate issue on its own

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

lamar had success on underneath stuff where he hit Hill in stride a ton, just like the games against the dolphins and the texans blitz. for whatever reason they became unable to exploit those lanes that were defenitly there with good hot routes or scrambles. probably because lamar is a choke artist fraud loser idiot. that i love 2 death

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ghost Dog posted:

lamar had success on underneath stuff where he hit Hill in stride a ton, just like the games against the dolphins and the texans blitz. for whatever reason they became unable to exploit those lanes that were defenitly there with good hot routes or scrambles. probably because lamar is a choke artist fraud loser idiot. that i love 2 death

my offseason hot take: i unironically hope obj wants to run it back with the ravens. i dont think hes particularly good anymore but, allah forgive me, hes actually been a great locker room influence lol. and hes not bad when hes not injured or tired. in conclusion i'm dumb

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Crockett Gilmore

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

but yeah the biggest development in lamars passing game has been hitting those out routes, both underneath and intermediary. they're playing off coverage and showing 6 or 7 on the line? take that out 5-6 yard out route. dump off to the rb. flacco made a career of handing off the ball to rice via a pass 3 seconds after the snap. and 2023 was really encouraging because there was a shitload of that.

the thing looking into 2024 is that if the problem was the playcalling (i dont think it was) they'll fix that. and if it was jackson trying to hero ball, i think both he and the coaching staff will fix that.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
When I say intermediate I mean the 11-20 yards range. Those are the shots Lamar really excels on. Yeah he can hit dump offs. He only didn't in the past because he was his own check down by running with the ball.

I think the deep ball is a huge deal. Getting a consistent deep poo poo opens up everything underneath in a beautiful way. It also lets you hit door bombs deep, which is a positive in its own right.

gently caress I wish Rashod Bateman was the player he could be.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Freaquency posted:

Crockett Gilmore

oh wow

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

When I say intermediate I mean the 11-20 yards range. Those are the shots Lamar really excels on. Yeah he can hit dump offs. He only didn't in the past because he was his own check down by running with the ball.

I think the deep ball is a huge deal. Getting a consistent deep poo poo opens up everything underneath in a beautiful way. It also lets you hit door bombs deep, which is a positive in its own right.

gently caress I wish Rashod Bateman was the player he could be.

Nah I know the range you mean. Deep ball is 20+. Jackson was money over the middle and then also started hitting the out routes on intermediate stuff, and also willing to punish teams with short hot routes if they were gonna drop everyone or blitz everyone. I'm just thinking that the thesis statement of 'jackson got flustered cause the chiefs took away the mid level stuff and his deep ball wasnt good' feels misguided. There shouldve been short stuff that opened up for them.

It did for the chiefs, we blanked them in the second half but they were still getting second and short, third and short. As good as the defense played, time of possession felt unreal. I feel like they took what they could (and to be fair it didnt lead to points after the half) but in contrast we rarely did (and the times we did it paid off big).

Ignoring the turnover crap also

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I thought that dude was going to be what George Kittle ended up being.

How could I not?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i legit also thought crockett gilmore was gonna be real loving good

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

charley crockett is a good high country singer if anyones interested in that

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the only ravens TE tall enough to back into a driveway

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Oberstwo posted:

Joe flacco said retard

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

mightygerm posted:

I want to loving die

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lol

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Really makes u think

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.
Macdonald going to Seattle. Wonder what inept theyll replace him with.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ikonoklast posted:

Macdonald going to Seattle. Wonder what inept theyll replace him with.

could be anthony weaver since he was getting some DC interviews earlier

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

the Ravens got 1 (one) year of Kubiak and Macdonald

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

I feel like this year was their best shot in the window which is why I was extra irritated when they lost. Ah well, we're used to the DC carousel. I wonder how much money Monken lost himself with that game.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Ummmm…mods? Can I get a titans logo on here? Thank you?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

:cheers:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Mystic Stylez posted:

MacDonald was the Ravens DC for 2 years.

I would love to see a of Ravens coaches stolen for HC jobs since Harbaugh got here. Feels like the Ravens, Rams, and 49ers get raided every loving year.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I would love to see a of Ravens coaches stolen for HC jobs since Harbaugh got here. Feels like the Ravens, Rams, and 49ers get raided every loving year.

pagano is one that comes to mind. also teryl austin

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Kubiak, Caldwell, Austin, Pagano, MacDonald, and probably the next loving guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I mean more in the sense of "we got one year of great units with those coordinators". the 2022 defense at the end was very good but it took Roquan coming in to settle things and Macdonald adjusting to stop the meltdowns