Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The Hobbit movies are worth watching because of Lee Pace :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hexel posted:

The Hobbit movies are worth watching because of Lee Pace :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J15X6ZxxxM

I mean...

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Data Graham posted:

Have the studios stopped doing HFR? I haven't heard word one about it since the Hobbit movies, not even in the context of people arguing over whether it's good or bad. Only explanation I can think of is that they gave up and pretended it never happened

They didn't release the following two movies in HFR (or at least didn't do a widescale release in HFR like they did for the first one) so yeah, it fizzled out real quick until Cameron brought it back for Avatar 2, but thankfully my IMAX 3D screening didn't have it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I liked HFR and wish that they had used a better movie to promote it.

"We want Another Lord of the Rings, so let's have the same director make it based off this other famous related book" was the reason The Hobbit trilogy exists. It makes sense if you're a media executive and therefore steadfastly resist knowing anything about art.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same but RoP :v:

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

I liked HFR and wish that they had used a better movie to promote it.

"We want Another Lord of the Rings, so let's have the same director make it based off this other famous related book" was the reason The Hobbit trilogy exists. It makes sense if you're a media executive and therefore steadfastly resist knowing anything about art.

The Hobbit trilogy made almost $3 billion dollars worldwide. I agree they're a travesty, but those executives were absolutely correct to greenlight their creation.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

PittTheElder posted:

I also read Bret Devereaux's excellent columns (Part I: https://acoup.blog/2022/12/16/collections-why-rings-of-powers-middle-earth-feels-flat/) on it after that and god drat you just can't unsee the flaws once you read them. The material culture of the show really makes zero sense, a problem that the PJ films had no problem with.

That was really good, I've not heard of this guy but he put into words a lot about what I think of Rings and of many of the new Star Trek properties too. Too much focus on making cool scenes and not making the glue between the scenes work

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Data Graham posted:

Am I hearing not one but two Wilhelm screams in there??

There's at least 1 Wilhelm scream in each LotR/Hobbit movies but since they cut the Hobbit movies up to make 3 maybe they skipped the one in the second Hobbit movie so added two there?

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHgbbM9pu4

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Taear posted:

That was really good, I've not heard of this guy but he put into words a lot about what I think of Rings and of many of the new Star Trek properties too. Too much focus on making cool scenes and not making the glue between the scenes work

Yeah he does a lot of video game (esp. Paradox games) and pop culture critiques which is cool, he writes a fair bit about how Sparta sucked and why dude bros are wrong to idolize it which is even better, and is generally just a very entertaining fellow.

If there's anyone who really loves the PJ films, he has a fantastic series on the battles of Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith and how they demonstrate modern concepts of military theory, how well Tolkien understood them (for somewhat obvious reasons) and how PJ does an okay job but occasionally stumbles. Highly recommend.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 19, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The hobbit movies are enjoyable and I think capture the spirit of the book. If you think all lotr content has to be grimdark instead of fun and silly that’s fine we can just like things without fighting about it tho. Also every movie in the trilogy has at least one wilhelm scream

Watching the extendeds as a marathon prequel to the lotr trilogy has been rewarding and sets up the trilogy really nicely

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 20, 2023

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

The hobbit movies are enjoyable and I think capture the spirit of the book. If you think all lotr content has to be grimdark instead of fun and silly that’s fine we can just like things without fighting about it tho. Also every movie in the trilogy has at least one wilhelm scream

Watching the extendeds as a marathon prequel to the lotr trilogy has been rewarding and sets up the trilogy really nicely

actually most of my problem with the hobbit is that it's not fun and silly enough

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

aBagorn posted:

actually most of my problem with the hobbit is that it's not fun and silly enough

I def wanted more radagast and musical interludes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's well known that in 1960, Tolkien went back and tried to rewrite The Hobbit in the more "grown-up" and "serious" tone of LotR.

He got as far as the Trolls scene and showed it to a friend who said "Uhhhhh... it's ... nice? But it's not The Hobbit"

So he gave up. And probably just as well

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Peter Jackson seems to be at his best nowadays doing cool poo poo with technology on documentaries with archive footage. I haven't had a chance to watch the Beatles thing he did, but They Shall Not Grow Old was fantastic and the pacing decision for when to adapt the old footage and stabilize the frame-rate, enhance the resolution and bring in sound was masterfully done.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

A MIRACLE posted:

The hobbit movies are enjoyable and I think capture the spirit of the book.

my favorite part of the hobbit book is the roughly 50% of it that concerns azog the defiler, whom tolkien lovingly describes as "wrought of CGI that looks like absolute poo poo" and "sort of like an antagonistic jar jar binks"

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

A MIRACLE posted:

I think the first two movies are enjoyable enough despite their problems. I find Battle of Five Armies is to be pretty boring though, its just a nonstop VFX showcase.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I liked the part in the book where Bombur fell in the river and lost his memory and Tauriel showed up and gave him some fresh, clean towels to dry up the neurotoxin in the river.

Then when Gandalf told Radagast to go see Galadriel about the Necromancer in the southern reaches of Mirkwood but he was too busy complaining about the carrot harvest while he was feeding his rabbits that pulled his sleigh because the boom in the badger population to pay attention.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Jerusalem posted:

Peter Jackson seems to be at his best nowadays doing cool poo poo with technology on documentaries with archive footage. I haven't had a chance to watch the Beatles thing he did, but They Shall Not Grow Old was fantastic and the pacing decision for when to adapt the old footage and stabilize the frame-rate, enhance the resolution and bring in sound was masterfully done.

Season 2 should be done in the style of old wartime newsreels.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Don't think the problem with The Hobbit movies is too silly/not silly enough exactly, it's that they try too hard to be an epic, bombastic adventure when The Hobbit is fundamentally something more small scale than LotR.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

PittTheElder posted:

Finally caught up on the thread after watching the show a couple months ago. Have to say it was pretty not good. Maybe not actively bad, but not good.

Still can't get over how loving badly the whole Mount Doom thing was executed though. Like why was the dam (that was apparently part of an Elven fort?) rigged to demolish itself when the evil sword was inserted into it? Why did the volcano have a massive eruption when the tiny amount of water that would have reached it via the orc canals hit it, that's not a thing volcanoes do. There's loving snow on it, water obviously gets in there all the time anyway. None of this is necessary because you could just have the sword set off the volcano via magic if you really want to lean into the evil MacGuffin. Then everyone is engulfed in a pyroclastic flow from the volcano, but don't worry everyone is fine, except for poor Isuldur, who is of course fine because obviously.

I also read Bret Devereaux's excellent columns (Part I: https://acoup.blog/2022/12/16/collections-why-rings-of-powers-middle-earth-feels-flat/) on it after that and god drat you just can't unsee the flaws once you read them. The material culture of the show really makes zero sense, a problem that the PJ films had no problem with.

It sure was pretty to look at though I guess, and it was actually nice to see the cast of Spartacus all turning up.

E: god drat I love Bret's writing:

I just finished that and its an excellent read. This part right here nails it:

quote:

In good speculative fiction then, the creator has a choice: import recognizable, real-world systems that will feel real to an audience or build new systems and then explain their fantastical workings to the audience in a way that renders them understandable. Rings of Power does neither and in the process manages to construct a Middle Earth that is not only ‘flat’ in the sense that the the cataclysms of the Changing of the World have not yet happened and thus the Straight Road to Valinor can still be traversed, but unfortunately this Middle Earth is also flat in the sense that it is rendered dull and uninteresting by the lack of perceptible rules and consequence.

Basically, nothing in Rings of Power feels real or believable which is a big problem in an IP with prior entries that have gone out of their to do exactly that in significant detail with everything from costuming, set/production designs, and even music. When Peter Jackson was making his LOTR trilogy, he said that the fantasy genre is the only genre that's never been done on film really well(which I'd agree with at the time obviously that's different now with things like Game of Thrones). In his Lord of the Rings trilogy, that world feels real and like it could've existed at one point thousands of years ago on Earth on a continent that no longer exists due to some cataclysmic event or something. For instance, Rohan looks a lot like a Norse or Scandinavian society whereas Gondor looks like more of a Roman/Byzantine society. The Elves looked like otherworldly ethereal beings(because thats what they are, they were born in Valinor which is essentially ME's Heaven) and not just regular people with goofy haircuts. In ROP, the southlanders for all we know consists of maybe a few villages and a 100 people or so? And they also look like the Numenoreans(who are basically supposed to be a god-like civilization of men) except a bit poorer and dirtier?

Gresh fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 20, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

YaketySass posted:

Don't think the problem with The Hobbit movies is too silly/not silly enough exactly, it's that they try too hard to be an epic, bombastic adventure when The Hobbit is fundamentally something more small scale than LotR.

The barrel scene is a loving travesty and this is why
It's meant to be a quiet sneaky thing, not what they made it into

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gresh posted:

The Numenoreans(who are basically supposed to be a god-like civilization of men)

Still upset that the Numenoreans weren't casually dropping lines about how they have abilities that would be considered superpowered by most regular people, which they themselves think of as nothing great.

And speaking of which, the Elves in turn should have been quietly muttering to themselves when out of range of the Numenoreans about how sad it was to see how average they had become, only able to run for a month straight without sleep and their eye-sight only letting them see a maximum of 30 miles away before they stopped being able to pick up finer details.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The hobbit movies are bad because they tried to stretch a small fairy tale style story into three huge epic LotR style films. So we get the weird tonal shifts, artificial drama, and random action scenes. Movie makers tried the same thing with some random properties like Snow White in the 10s and they were all not great. Just in case of the hobbit expectations were a lot higher.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gresh posted:

I think the first two movies are enjoyable enough despite their problems. I find Battle of Five Armies is to be pretty boring though, its just a nonstop VFX showcase.

Also killing Smaug a third of the way in the movie felt very disruptive to the flow? Like why not do it in The Desolation of Smaug and set up for the Battle of Five Armies if you really must do a battle the Professor barely described.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

if you really must do a battle the Professor barely described.

God I wish they'd had the balls to do it like the book and have Bilbo get KOed and wake up and find out the fightings was all done while he was out :allears:

"The Eagles are coming! The Eagles are c-"KDONK!

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Jerusalem posted:

Still upset that the Numenoreans weren't casually dropping lines about how they have abilities that would be considered superpowered by most regular people, which they themselves think of as nothing great.
Also a One-Punch Man style battle where the Numenoreans are casually cutting through three orcs at a time with every sword stroke, ending the battle and not even being out of breath.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
The Hobbit movies are like butter scraped over too much bread.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Hobbit film should've been all muppets, with the exception of Ian McKellen.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

pidan posted:

Movie makers tried the same thing with some random properties like Snow White in the 10s and they were all not great.

This was easily the worst impact the LOTR movies had. Somehow the lesson Hollywood learned from them was, "any fantasy-adjacent story needs to be a joylessly sincere war epic full of blustering pre-battle speeches and slo-mo of characters screaming with swords held high." Somehow everything from Pirates of the Caribbean to Narnia to Alice in Wonderland had to become one of those.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jerusalem posted:

And speaking of which, the Elves in turn should have been quietly muttering to themselves when out of range of the Numenoreans about how sad it was to see how average they had become, only able to run for a month straight without sleep and their eye-sight only letting them see a maximum of 30 miles away before they stopped being able to pick up finer details.

I would've been down for more stuff like this. We got to see some elf showiness here and there, but If they went like 6" 2' height minimum for the Numenoreans (using various tricks to boost height as necessary to help with this) and had them casually showing 3x the strength of normal men by lifting heavy things, or showing some relatively minor magic aptitude but enough to blow the minds of normal men, that'd of been fun. This age is all about crazy feats of magic and there being a whole civilization of "Aragorn but better" men, so that would've been nice to see in effect more clearly.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Gresh posted:

The Elves looked like otherworldly ethereal beings(because thats what they are, they were born in Valinor which is essentially ME's Heaven)

Minor nitpicking but the Elves were awakened in Middle Earth. The Valar invited them all to Valinor and some of the Sindarin Elves stayed behind and never went to Valinor.
Some went to Valinor and came back.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

There's no point in the show that we would learn Numenorians are different to normal Men
Not even one spot

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

my favorite part of the hobbit book is the roughly 50% of it that concerns azog the defiler, whom tolkien lovingly describes as "wrought of CGI that looks like absolute poo poo" and "sort of like an antagonistic jar jar binks"

also the azog actor was fully kitted out in costume but then PJ was like "nah i wanna just slather CG on top of him lmao"

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Interesting twitter thread about costume design on the show:

https://twitter.com/Alayanabeth/status/1650212617191866373

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

some tweet posted:

(Why does anyone think Middle Earth is like medieval Europe?)

I'm not the greatest Tolkien scholar on the planet, but... isn't it?

It's feudal, Rohan is quite clearly Saxon influenced, probably some other stuff...

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Nobody Interesting posted:

I'm not the greatest Tolkien scholar on the planet, but... isn't it?

It's feudal, Rohan is quite clearly Saxon influenced, probably some other stuff...

Rohan and Gondor sure. But the elves and numenor not really imo.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
They don't show you this in adaptations but every Elf character dresses in dapper victorian suits.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

And they got pointy rear end shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Is it like medieval Europe in the sense that it broadly follows a medieval and European aesthetic? Arguably, idk, the hobbits sure aren't very medieval. Is it like medieval Europe in the sense that you can get mad about costume details on the basis of "it wasn't really like that"? Definitely not.

I'm not personally very excited about the costumes positively or negatively, but learning about the preraphaelite influence was interesting.