Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's funny that people point out McCoy's ribbing of Spock that Vulcan was conquered as Canon when in "The Immunity Syndrome" Spock says very explicitly that Vulcan has never been conquered in their collective memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Thinking about the universe where Denise Crosby is cast as Troi and still leaves, so Worf becomes councilor.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“EMDR. A warrior’s therapy.”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pascallion posted:

Thinking about the universe where Denise Crosby is cast as Troi and still leaves, so Worf becomes councilor.

Suddenly thinking about Day Job Orchestra's version of Worf shouting "YOU CRAZY, WOMAN?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HD DAD posted:

“EMDR. A warrior’s therapy.”

"Today is a good day for CBT!"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The_Doctor posted:

With Klingon pain sticks.

Wait, wrong CBT.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

"Yes. Today... is a good day to cry"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Defeat your inner demons and meet them again in Sto'vo'kor!"

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The_Doctor posted:

Combat But Therapeutic

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
"Lt. Barclay, your nonconsensual use of the appearances of your fellow crewmembers in holodeck simulations is WITHOUT HONOR"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Pfft like Worf hasn't added a holo-Barclay to his calisthenics program before

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
My dudes

Please wish Cpt Janeway a happy birthday.

LongDarkNight fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 20, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What about all the happy birthdays we never got to wish for Tuvix

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What about all the happy birthdays we never got to wish for Tuvix

It’s pretty laff that in season 1 they had a plot about B’lananana being split into two people, and Janeway was like “put them back together!”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Vidiian wearing that dude’s face was pretty gruesome for Berman Trek, outside of the head explosion outlier.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The Vidiians were cool and it sucks they disappeared from the show until Jason Alexander cured them

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

jeeves posted:

It’s pretty laff that in season 1 they had a plot about B’lananana being split into two people, and Janeway was like “put them back together!”

Incorrect. Klingon B'ellanna died almost as soon as they reached Voyager, Janeway wasn't even aware she existed until then.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Marx Headroom posted:

The Vidiians were cool and it sucks they disappeared from the show until Jason Alexander cured them
He said he knew the cure, but I checked and there was no indication that they actually gave it to the Vidiians

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Marx Headroom posted:

The Vidiians being largely ignored in favor of the Kazon is kind of all you needed to know about Voyager.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Who is more compelling a villain, the sick or the vicious idiot poor?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've only got scattered memories of Voyager, but I seem to remember that the first few times they show up, the Kazon are portrayed a lot more as "people desperately trying to survive" vs. the weird "savage warring tribes" vibe they get later on?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Daily reminder the Kazon were directly inspired by LA gangs. Early Voyager documentation literally referred to them as Bloods and Crips. It’s all a bit yikes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I've only got scattered memories of Voyager, but I seem to remember that the first few times they show up, the Kazon are portrayed a lot more as "people desperately trying to survive" vs. the weird "savage warring tribes" vibe they get later on?
The main thing that pops out for me with them is that they have the V problem, where they're desperately looking for water, in their warp-capable transporter-having starships. This could have been resolved easily with one throwaway line of dialogue, but nobody gave a poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They don't have transporters until they steal them when they briefly capture Voyager

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Hah, one of the things in Picard's archive is an award from Betazed:

And it has a little betazoid logo there. Except the Betazoids never had an emblem. The logo there is one made up by a fan for the Betazoids in a videogame mod, and presumably the set decorators google image searched 'betazoid symbol', saw that, and went 'yep okay'.

Ah yes, the great Betazoid Loyalty Award, a high honor given to only a select few, made by Things Remembered.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unimatrix Zero is a really dumb two parter

ugh “Unimatrix Zero” is such a Voyager-rear end name. similar to “Delta Flyer” it just sounds like something a 10-year old thought was cool.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I remember when Voyager and Enterprise were airing, they were getting a lot of flak for super unimaginative episode titles. Specifically the ones that were just a single word that either was simply the location at which the episode took place, or the name of the guest character of the week.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Except for DS9, TNG era Trek all had that problem - "The Enemy", "The Defector", "Disaster", "The Game" are all pretty :effort:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I can't decide whether Discovery's titles are good or hella tryhard

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Minidust posted:

ugh “Unimatrix Zero” is such a Voyager-rear end name. similar to “Delta Flyer” it just sounds like something a 10-year old thought was cool.

Well, it was made and named by Tom Paris

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

They're nothing compared to some of the titles Gene Roddenbery's Andromeda used to whip out for episodes, that's for sure.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
For the World Is Hollow and I Have Gone Back To Front

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Astroman posted:

Ah yes, the great Betazoid Loyalty Award, a high honor given to only a select few, made by Things Remembered.

Honestly, I think they give out the Betazoid Loyalty Award to basically anyone not native to Betazed willing to put up with Lwaxana Troi for more than one hour.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Episode title chat: One time in high school my sister and her best friend were talking about TV and my step-brother walked up and asked what they were talking about. They said "Party of Five" and he got confused and asked which Star Trek episode that was, because the two of them usually talked about Star Trek. My sister said "the one with the away team" and refused to elaborate.

So anyway, Trek episodes should be named like Friends episodes, like "The One with the Sex Candle"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

Episode title chat: One time in high school my sister and her best friend were talking about TV and my step-brother walked up and asked what they were talking about. They said "Party of Five" and he got confused and asked which Star Trek episode that was, because the two of them usually talked about Star Trek. My sister said "the one with the away team" and refused to elaborate.

So anyway, Trek episodes should be named like Friends episodes, like "The One with the Sex Candle"

I compliment your sister on her Class A level trolling abilities :discourse:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Brawnfire posted:

I give them points for trying at least.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

HD DAD posted:

I remember when Voyager and Enterprise were airing, they were getting a lot of flak for super unimaginative episode titles. Specifically the ones that were just a single word that either was simply the location at which the episode took place, or the name of the guest character of the week.
Not just super-unimaginative, but often telling you absolutely nothing about the episode itself, which makes it incredibly hard to remember what they were actually about. 'Repentance', 'Resistance', 'Relativity', 'Repression', 'Retrospect', 'Resolutions', 'Remember', 'Rise', 'Revulsion', 'Riddles' - quick, without looking it up, which was the one where Janeway and Chakotay were left stranded on a planet? Which series was 'Demons' from? And what happened in 'Bound', 'Stratagem', 'The Shipment', 'Dawn', 'Stigma', 'Horizon', 'Home', 'Anomaly', 'United', 'The Seventh' or 'Fusion'?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
TNG had some good ones though. I'm very fond of 'Where Silence Has Lease' and 'Loud as a Whisper'. Big fan of unnecessarily poetic episode titles.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Amelia Earhart should have stayed on Voyager. Don't buy for a second she'd stay behind with her lovely navigator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Brawnfire posted:

I can’t think of any of them, which is not a dunk on them. They just don’t show them on screen for some reason. I guess it’s kind of old fashioned to do that nowadays but...why bother coming up with fancy titles at all if you never see them