Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Wild T posted:

I was walking down the street in Manas when a random 5'5" Army SGM loving bolts right at me from about fifty feet away with death in his eyes. He was in the middle of about 100-150 soldiers all packing up gear in a parking lot, presumably getting ready to fly downrange. He shouts, "Hey Air Force, what's your policy on saluting?!"

"Uhh... We do it, Sergeant Major."

"Well please explain that to HER!"

He wildly gestures at some confused and helpless looking USAF 1LT who was probably wondering, much like I was, why this SGM decided to grab the first Air Force dude he saw to cross-examine her about saluting an officer buried somewhere in a crowd of people. He went back to gesticulating at the poor officer and I just kind of wandered off before he could ask me any more brain stumpers.

Man, gently caress the Army.

I had the exact same thing happen, except it was an angry SGM standing up for a confused looking Navy ... Ensign? whatever their butter bars are. The 2LT ducked his head, gave us a quick salute and kept quickly walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I want to print out all of these posts for a friend of mine who can't fathom why I'd rather stationary bike than run, and why no one misses their time in. The guy is mid 30's and thinks the idea of boots and utes at 4:30 in the morning on sugar cookie sounds great.

E: he was never in any service

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Start calling him at 425 every morning yelling at him and screaming. Don't stop

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Soulex posted:

Start calling him at 425 every morning yelling at him and screaming. Don't stop

This is a guy who at one point said "I thought about joining, you know, the civil air patrol" :smuggo: after seeing their booth at a state fair. His phone isn't even going to be on. I'd have to drive there and beat on his door, that's the real experience anyway.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

PathAsc posted:

I want to print out all of these posts for a friend of mine who can't fathom why I'd rather stationary bike than run, and why no one misses their time in. The guy is mid 30's and thinks the idea of boots and utes at 4:30 in the morning on sugar cookie sounds great.

E: he was never in any service

Do it and rub his face in them while filming it.

I'll freely admit to sometimes missing my time in, but I was in the :norway: navy during a period where PT regs were "survive 20km on a bike once a year, be skinny enough to fit through manholes" and we had some pretty legit deployments like going to Spain for half a year to pick up a fancy new ship and a trip to the US west coast for CSSQT etc.

Heck, I'm 30 lbs lighter now than when I got out of the navy in 2009, and in way better shape.

Also gently caress shin splints forever, I got that during boot and it was the worst. Thankfully we had good NCOs and a 2nd LT that had a degree (I think) in physical training somethingorother. As a result there's a picture of me in field gear, packing a H&K G3 and navy-issued running shoes/trainers :haw:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

PathAsc posted:

no one misses their time in.

This isn't exactly true. I'd rather climb a wall of dicks in hell than enlist again but I got to do some crazy cool poo poo and met some people who were solid dudes.

I mean I had to live and work with a ton of fuckbags and most days were loud, hot, smelly, and difficult, but I try not to forget the really good stuff too.

Also what is sugar cookie idgi

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There's a hill in 29 Palms that's basically just a gigantic pile of loose sand that gunnies think is super awesome to run up and down

Dunno if that's the sugar cookie he's talking about though

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

There's a hill in 29 Palms that's basically just a gigantic pile of loose sand that gunnies think is super awesome to run up and down

Oh, that makes sense. He did make it sound like someplace you get smoked, I've just never heard of that one.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Internet Wizard posted:

Yep, that's the one. Out of eight years in, I spent about six there. And yes, I exaggerated not missing it, I miss some things. Hell, I miss the desert.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

hogmartin posted:

Oh, that makes sense. He did make it sound like someplace you get smoked, I've just never heard of that one.

There's sugar cookie, cardiac (just one long hill that never ends), the swoops (a bunch of small sand hills), and so many more. The fun never ends!

Sugar cookie was fun for poo poo like doing gladiator type crap up top and throwing people down the hill.

E: I'm fairly sure almost every base has a hill called cardiac, judging by hearing cardiac stories from every service.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 29, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

PathAsc posted:

There's sugar cookie, cardiac (just one long hill that never ends), the swoops (a bunch of small sand hills), and so many more. The fun never ends!

Sugar cookie was fun for poo poo like doing gladiator type crap up top and throwing people down the hill.

In Sonar School we just ran perimeter road. "The road that runs around the entire base" is probably a big 5-day ordeal on an Army or Marine base but the sub base in Groton is a lot smaller, I think it was 2-5 miles depending on the route. Then get grilled in the parking lot at Rock Lake and shower/shave/get to class. Good times!*

* good may vary

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We should start a new "resource for people interested in joining" thread, and just fill it with medical horror stories about mildocs and the VA.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Internet Wizard posted:

Does the law that exempts military doctors from malpractice suits apply to this moron's level as well? Because holy crap, coming from a family of various medical professionals, those stories are horrifying.

I know it's not losing a leg from them but I hated going to the dentist for cleanings. Sometimes I get something normal, other times I get an airman that isn't too into it but doesn't go too deep to cause pain, then once I had some E5 that did go too deep and then while we waited around 10 minutes for the bleeding to slow down so she could get back to work, she kept telling everyone "I don't know why he's bleeding so much".

I got one doctor to get really pissed off and defensive. He told me my tonsils were inflamed and I told him I had them taken out as a kid. In his huffing and puffing, he told me sometimes they grow back. Another time I had a respiratory infection of some kind. I didn't know the exact kind because the doctor just told me I had the common cold and gave me motrin.

Now that I'm out, I know I can go to the VA but even when I didn't have insurance, I just went to those low cost clinics. Sure, one time I did have an issue where the doctor said I had high blood pressure and put me on medication, despite the fact that it was only after checking my blood pressure that single time. The medicine made me not be able to sleep and I wanted to kill myself but when I called about these two issues, they said to keep taking them and schedule another appointment to look into it. I just stopped taking it and didn't make an appointment because I figure my heart wasn't going to explode after going off of something I'd only been taking for less than a week.

But at least I didn't go to the VA.

Internet Wizard posted:

I got 30 days self-pace PT on my light duty chit, and my platoon sergeant gave me a stern talking to about how I'm a Marine and there are some things I just need to power through when I decided not to skip out of PT one day and said I'd do the workout but I'd probably stop early on the running part because there was a lot of running planned.

Last time I bothered showing up for unit PT for a while you better believe that.

My supervisor once told me to stop taking my antibiotics because they were making me drowsy at work. I said, "No, I'm going to listen to what the doctor told me to do". I'm sure this went on his list. I was looking for a pen one day and found a list where he wrote down every little thing somebody did that was ever wrong. A week earlier someone had part of their shirt untucked and that was on the list.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 29, 2016

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hogmartin posted:

In Sonar School we just ran perimeter road. "The road that runs around the entire base" is probably a big 5-day ordeal on an Army or Marine base but the sub base in Groton is a lot smaller, I think it was 2-5 miles depending on the route. Then get grilled in the parking lot at Rock Lake and shower/shave/get to class. Good times!*

* good may vary

They made you run in sonar a-school? :lol:

In my 10+ months in Groton sub+sonar school I'm pretty sure I only did any sort of mando pt twice.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I almost feel bad about this one since according to his 100% disability it turns out the Air Force picked up a legitimate retard to be a medic but whatever this poo poo is pretty funny.

Out of my phase I class of dumbasses, sluts, creeps, and weirdos who all hated each other there was one guy who managed to actually stick out for being weird. I was a naive as gently caress 19yo at the time but in hindsight Nar was autistic as gently caress with the super specific way he was weird. He absolutely could not take a joke, like he took anything you said as gospel and no matter how many times you told him you were joking after he'd either just get really confused and flustered or really sad and withdrawn. There was also the autism staple of him only watching anime and only wanting to talk about anime but only specific animes and would just stonewall if you tried to bring up another anime. You know how when someone is happy or they do something well they'll exclaim "yeah" or "awsome"? Not Nar, no Nar's go to was "Kalima!". Yes exactly like the temple of doom scene. He would yell it anytime he got slightly excited or really just randomly whenever.

Honestly that's probably all anyone knew about Nar since he didn't seem to hang out with anyone or say anything that wasn't One piece or Kalima. Well Nar made it through Phase I like all but one person in my class did but apparently Phase II was when real Nar started to come out. Real Nar is a beast.

So Nar gets sent to Keesler for his Phase II and since I think his family wasn't too far away they came down and stayed at the on base hotel. Well that legendary day finally came when Nar was hanging around the hotel when he walks into some sort of lounge area where people are just chilling on laptops or whatever when Nar procedes to MOTHERFUCKING JUMP ONTO TABLES AND STARTS PUNTING LAPTOPS WHILE SCREAMING JESUS IS MAKING ME DO THIS. gently caress yeah Nar! This obviously results in Secfo getting called and turns into a scooby doo esque chase up and down the halls of this hotel as Nar begins screaming for his father to save him. The chase ends when Nar is cornered in a laundry room where he then drops to his knees and begins speaking in tongues.

Thus ends Nar's short but wild time in the Air Force. Or at least that's what I had been told at my phase II and believed for 5 years until I found out that psycho not only stayed in he passed phase II and was permanent party at Travis.

I don't know all the details about his time at Travis but apparently he was still weird as gently caress until the final culminating factor that gets him kicked out. Nar got caught jerking off in one of the supply rooms. Just joking he didn't get kicked out for that, he got kicked out the second time he got caught jerking off in the supply room and not stopping even after the light had been flipped on and someone had just stood there and stared in horror.

Thus truly ended Nar's way too long and exceptionally wild time in the worlds greatest Air Force. Jerk off in Valhala you now hood ritch bitch.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 29, 2016

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

loving cardiac hill. A school I was doing down there had PT led by a crossfit adherent. Run all the way down the hill, touch the fence across the street, back up and then a round of crossfit. Hated that man.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

ded posted:

They made you run in sonar a-school? :lol:

In my 10+ months in Groton sub+sonar school I'm pretty sure I only did any sort of mando pt twice.

The head instructor was a marathon runner, so we all ended up being runners. After a while it was kind of an item of pride when new classes would class up "lol you guys can't get ripped at the Golden Gate and then run Perimeter Road the next morning, get hot NUB".

The ETs and FTs didn't run remotely as much as we did, that was entirely our head instructor. Also ETs, FTs, and STSs in the same pipeline may not even be a thing anymore for all I know. This was 2002.

e: this is not boot camp bullshit because it did not occur in boot camp, quod erat demonstrandum.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 29, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Splode posted:

I hope that idiot from earlier who was talking about signing up is still reading the thread.

I am. :smith:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Good, you can add to the stories here.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aranan posted:

Good, you can add to the stories here.

With my luck I'd end up killed because a nurse didn't know how to give a flu shot or whatever.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

loving cardiac hill. A school I was doing down there had PT led by a crossfit adherent. Run all the way down the hill, touch the fence across the street, back up and then a round of crossfit. Hated that man.

Lol, I loved when the crosfitters would break themselves in that lovely shed they have. There was never any love shown them, which was great. Also, when some tried to bring that garbage to unit PT it always got shot down and caused them to whine endlessly.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that person will never have a skin tone darker than their anime tattoo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So apparently I'm not allowed to final out until a day before y leave starts which means sitting on my rear end during permissive TDY. Goddamn it.

I wouldn't do this again for a million dollars, and I wouldn't trade the experience from it for a million either.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Soulex posted:

So apparently I'm not allowed to final out until a day before y leave starts which means sitting on my rear end during permissive TDY. Goddamn it.

I wouldn't do this again for a million dollars, and I wouldn't trade the experience from it for a million either.

Tell Top you want to make a farewell announcement in front of morning formation. Begin publicly masturbating.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

If you can maintain an erection while looking at a formation, you're obviously the sort that should be staying in

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Internet Wizard posted:

If you can maintain an erection while looking at a formation, you're obviously the sort that should be staying in the barracks

That's better

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Guess the dude was wrong. AR 600-8-10 5-33 E. PTDY can be used in conjunction with ordinary leave pending commander approval.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

iyaayas01 posted:

-Army allows servicemember with one murder conviction in the States and another manslaughter conviction in Germany to remain freely on active duty. Servicemember subsequently kidnaps and murders another servicemember (who is off-duty at the time of the kidnapping and murder). Murdered servicemember's family is prohibited from filing suit against the Army

Which case was this?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

hogmartin posted:

The head instructor was a marathon runner, so we all ended up being runners. After a while it was kind of an item of pride when new classes would class up "lol you guys can't get ripped at the Golden Gate and then run Perimeter Road the next morning, get hot NUB".

The ETs and FTs didn't run remotely as much as we did, that was entirely our head instructor. Also ETs, FTs, and STSs in the same pipeline may not even be a thing anymore for all I know. This was 2002.

e: this is not boot camp bullshit because it did not occur in boot camp, quod erat demonstrandum.

I went on a course like that once. In the CF Reserves, the Driver Wheel course is (was) known for being the slackest of the slack. You drive a few hours a day, you chill and watch movies while the instructors are out with students, have a few beers and do it the next day all over again.

The course before mine had taken the "few beers" thing to a new level, to the point where the base sergeant-major was made known about it. The typical "DO NOT STAND ON THE GRASS EVER" kinda guy. He was displeased.

So, when we showed up, we got the full boot PT treatment on steroids. 20km runs at 4am. 2 PT sessions a day. Maybe 4 hours of sleep a night. Log PT. Force Marches up and down Soldier Hill. I was fresh out of BMQ/SQ so I was used to running like 15k per day, and it was drat hard for me at 18. We had some logistics types in their 30s and the injuries piled up rapidly. Knees, ankles, shoulders. One woman hosed her back up. I tore my meniscus. People started falling asleep at the wheel during night moves, putting the trucks into ditches.

I was so strung out by the end of the course when we had the closing interview with the course warrant and the course officer, and they asked if I had enjoyed my time, I no poo poo told them (as a no hook private) that the last 3 weeks had been torture and I could never recommend this course to anyone. I got screamed at but just didn't care anymore. 20 people on course, 4 medical RTUs, 7 walking wounded. Completely idiotic.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

Guess the dude was wrong. AR 600-8-10 5-33 E. PTDY can be used in conjunction with ordinary leave pending commander approval.

And that commander approval is their signature on the DA31 assuming you did it all on one form (always do this.)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

chitoryu12 posted:

Which case was this?

U.S. v. Shearer, from the Supreme Court.

The Third Circuit case (which the Supremes reversed) has a better statement of the facts.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 29, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

thetechnoloser posted:

And that commander approval is their signature on the DA31 assuming you did it all on one form (always do this.)

Absolutely did. Their policy (installation I guess) is that I can final out no earlier than two days before my final out date. Which is fine. Means instead of tomorrow it's the 6th. Gives me time to not stress the gently caress out about everything.

gently caress You Got Mine

By Soulex
I saw today the first time, your beautiful white face.
Your words combined in several rows, neatly double spaced
An arm stretched out to come to me, and placed you in my hands
Grinned despite the rubber stamp, inked and comic sans
"Example" writ across your chest and ID'd your prefecture
Explained to me, before you're mine, collect these signatures
From my grasp, you're pulled from me but only for some time
For when I'm done I'll hold you close and say "gently caress you. Got mine."

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

So, when we showed up, we got the full boot PT treatment on steroids. 20km runs at 4am. 2 PT sessions a day. Maybe 4 hours of sleep a night. Log PT. Force Marches up and down Soldier Hill. I was fresh out of BMQ/SQ so I was used to running like 15k per day, and it was drat hard for me at 18. We had some logistics types in their 30s and the injuries piled up rapidly. Knees, ankles, shoulders. One woman hosed her back up. I tore my meniscus. People started falling asleep at the wheel during night moves, putting the trucks into ditches.

Yes, so much this. "We will do UNRELATED THING until it's horribly unsafe and illegal to do THING WE'RE ACTUALLY SUPPOSED TO DO"

e: Also I stood gate guard with some CF Navy guys and some Commissionaires in Esquimalt- we don't have the Commissionaire thing in the US and I think we ought to. Those guys were cool and had good stories.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 30, 2016

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
And let's not forget this loving miserable mess that should make pretty much anyone be ashamed to be associated with the military.

http://www.usmedicine.com/agencies/department-of-defense-dod/court-strongly-condemns-feres-doctrine-in-case-involving-newborns-death/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

They asked if I had enjoyed my time, I no poo poo told them (as a no hook private) that the last 3 weeks had been torture and I could never recommend this course to anyone. I got screamed at but just didn't care anymore. 20 people on course, 4 medical RTUs, 7 walking wounded.
Enlist today!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

not caring here posted:

And let's not forget this loving miserable mess that should make pretty much anyone be ashamed to be associated with the military.

http://www.usmedicine.com/agencies/department-of-defense-dod/court-strongly-condemns-feres-doctrine-in-case-involving-newborns-death/

There's nothing more awesome than the extremely braindead NCO who treats a pregnant lady like the chubby E-2 who obviously just never works out

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I know they've both been posted in here forever ago but What are the websites that have the security clearance results and the courts martial results available? I'm blowing someone's mind right now that these are all publicly available off a home computer and want to give them a few laughs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

There's nothing more awesome than the extremely braindead NCO who treats a pregnant lady like the chubby E-2 who obviously just never works out
200 to 1 he never did time for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Cenen posted:

I know they've both been posted in here forever ago but What are the websites that have the security clearance results and the courts martial results available? I'm blowing someone's mind right now that these are all publicly available off a home computer and want to give them a few laughs.

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/2015.html