Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lawlicaust posted:

I got the Broken Token Gloomhaven Organizer for Christmas and just finished assembling it. Looks and feels great and seems like it will help so much with setup and speeding up play.

The assembly on the other hand was not quick. I’ve put together a lot of organizers before and expected I would need an hour or two for this one. I even considered painting or staining it depending on how long it took. I way underestimated the complexity as time commitment.

Between assembling it and putting everything into the trays and tuckboxes, I spent more than 5 hours. There are so many intricate trays to assemble and almost every part really needed wood glue. I had so many regrets about starting it today about an hour in but by that time it was all over the table.

Highly recommend but holy poo poo the assembly time.

Edit:

My wife also got me Four Souls and Burger Tokens for keyforge. Tokens were the Exact opposite experience from the Gloomhaven organizer. Super simple assembly. Feels great too.

I’ll probably get Four Souls to the table this week. I was really happy with the production quality on the cards and the package. Unlike a lot of card games the box isn’t needless large. I love the theme but am skeptical whether it will actually be fun. Might be a good intro game to card/board games for some friends.

Ok now immediately get rid of the coin/marker/token parts and get GMT trays for them. You can use the coin dispenser part for some other games, it’s pretty handy but not handy for GH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Work out how you are going to organise Gloomhaven (planos, inserts, folders etc). It will save you hours in the long run. Using an app like Gloomhaven Helper will also save you a lot of time and effort.

Most of the rules complexity is in the enemy AI. The rule of thumb is that enemies attack the closest target, and there are multiple pages defining "closest" and explaining what happens when they can't reach their target or when they can reach multiple targets.

The biggest missed rule is being able to lose a card to negate damage, and the biggest mistakes are calculating the difficulty incorrectly (remember to have the average) and using the wrong attack modifier cards (not the ones in the classes box).

There is an active Gloomhaven thread too.

We played about 50% of the game before realizing we can discard two cards from the discard pile to negate damage and we can take 1 damage to randomly lose a different card after a short rest.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Got Tiny Epic Quest for Christmas. From what I understand, it's not a bad game, though not exactly great? Anything I should remember while playing it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Morpheus posted:

Got Tiny Epic Quest for Christmas. From what I understand, it's not a bad game, though not exactly great? Anything I should remember while playing it?

The easiest thing to miss in the rulebook is that the Quest phase goes on until everyone passes.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Make sure you have the flow of night-time accurate. Splitting resource dice, everybody using advancement dice, when to quit, claiming quests, etc.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Christmas loot for board games was Gaia Project, The Estates, and those 3 Tokyo themed games from the Kickstarter a few months ago. I know the first two are excellent games. Anyone have opinions on the Tokyo themed ones? Seems like it's a game about the metro with investing options?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I absolutely adore a lot about the Tokyo Series. Jidohanbaiki ends up being more style than substance...but Jutaku is a fun little puzzle dexterity thing, and Metro manages to scratch both the Euro and economic train itches at the same time without fully committing to being either.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

al-azad posted:

We played about 50% of the game before realizing we can discard two cards from the discard pile to negate damage and we can take 1 damage to randomly lose a different card after a short rest.

Oh yeah, the second one is really important. The first one hurts like hell.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Got Spirit Island for christmas woo, of the 4 low complexity spirits is there a recommended complementary pair for a first two player game? And are the preset power progressions sensible to use the first time through or are they gimped/better to just draft?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Ayn Randi posted:

Got Spirit Island for christmas woo, of the 4 low complexity spirits is there a recommended complementary pair for a first two player game? And are the preset power progressions sensible to use the first time through or are they gimped/better to just draft?

Lightning’s Swift Strike is probably the best Spirit to play your first time, followed by Vital Strength of the Earth, and then River Surges in Sunlight. Shadows Flicker like Flame is sort of medium complexity. And I would definitely recommend using the power progression and no blight card for at least your first game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Lightning is a trap though because it doesn’t force you to learn pacing of slow/fast powers and that’s a big deal. Be careful of that but otherwise go wild.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
What those two said. I still play with Power Progression when teaching this game, even after a bajillion plays, because it works.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We went with lightning and river and won our first game at terror level 2, you're right in that essentially eliminating the distinction between fast and slow powers made things feel easy in a way that wouldn't be true in any game without lightning. River would feed me energy to destroy and I'd feed her the speed boon to push things around before build/ravage. Easy mode (no adversaries or blighted island though we never placed more than 2 additional blights anyway) but still a satisfying victory. But yeah essentially nuking every town at fast speed does wonders, feels like we just narrowly avoided the critical mass stages where territories start to become uncontrollable, one got to city + town + explorer during a build and we were able to combine pushes at the end of that turn to dump 6 dahan into the territory and fast play call to bloodshed to wipe them out to a man before ravage next turn. Lightning being able to dumpster cities at fast speed means the solitary explorers could be left to dahan to clean up during ravages. The Also hit terror level 2 the same turn I was playing enough elements to innate delete the last city and destroy the last town with a power so we snatched a surprise victory. Extremely great game, next time shadows + earth with blighted island :getin:

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Traveling for the holidays, I have now received more games as gifts than I can reasonably carry home. How much would it reduce the weight of A Feast for Odin if I punch out all the cardboard sprues?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

A bit. But it's still heavy AF.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Traveling for the holidays, I have now received more games as gifts than I can reasonably carry home. How much would it reduce the weight of A Feast for Odin if I punch out all the cardboard sprues?

Close to a kilo. I know because I punched it at Spiel and weighed the detritus.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Im looking for a game that really gives you the feeling that youve built something in the end, like a village or a functioning building. Semi competitive would probably be best, but im fine with whatever. I love carcassone but I want something more complex. Ive had my eye on the mad king Ludwig series for a while but dont know if id like it. Preferably something that plays 2-4. Any recommendations? Im down for something less popular that I havent had pop up on reddit a thousand times. Also preferably something that feels like i get to see my ideas realized before the game ends.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Gejimayu posted:

Im looking for a game that really gives you the feeling that youve built something in the end. Maybe like a village? Semi competitive would probably be best, but im fine with whatever. I love carcassone but I want something more complex. Ive had my eye on the mad king Ludwig series for a while but dont know if id like it. Preferably something that plays 2-4. Any recommendations? Im down for something less popular that I havent had pop up on reddit a thousand times. Also preferably something that feels like i get to see my ideas realized before the game ends.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Chill la Chill posted:

Ok now immediately get rid of the coin/marker/token parts and get GMT trays for them. You can use the coin dispenser part for some other games, it’s pretty handy but not handy for GH
GMT? Whats that?

I kinda like the marker trays. I don't move the box too much so I've never had a spill or anything.

It took me about 4 2-hour sessions to finish the organizer myself. Unfortunately the first piece, the top map tile holder, was the hardest one to put together and it didn't glue well. I'll have to figure out how to better secure it, the sides bow out.

Gejimayu posted:

Im looking for a game that really gives you the feeling that youve built something in the end, like a village or a functioning building. Semi competitive would probably be best, but im fine with whatever. I love carcassone but I want something more complex. Ive had my eye on the mad king Ludwig series for a while but dont know if id like it. Preferably something that plays 2-4. Any recommendations? Im down for something less popular that I havent had pop up on reddit a thousand times. Also preferably something that feels like i get to see my ideas realized before the game ends.

I have a like new copy of 7 wonders Babel to sell ya! (7 wonders not included)

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Gejimayu posted:

I know this thread just spent the last page or two dunking on it, but that is how I feel about Terraforming Mars. You assemble a collection of sci fi tropes into an industrial machine, and you get to see it fully in motion for at least a turn or two before the game ends. It's my group's favorite game at the moment.

Dungeon Lords might also give you that feeling of assembling a super-lethal dungeon operating at full capacity....right up until the moment something goes wrong and adventurers trash it all.

I don't think either of these really fit the "less popular" criterion you were looking for though.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Gejimayu posted:

It sounds like Castles of Mad King Ludwig is pretty close to what you want. Why do you think you won't like it?

I'm personally not a fan of Castles of Burgundy, but it fits your criteria. It does give you a satisfying sense of assembling a functional estate.

For semicompetitive, try Between Two Cities.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I like Castles of Burgundy but it's pretty dry and doesn't really scratch a builder type itch.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Gejimayu posted:

Railroad Ink is light, but provides that sense of carefully and meticulously making something, without someone slapping it out of your hands. And it's 20bux.

Otherwise, most of my recommendations would involve communally building something while wrestling for control (Lords of Vegas, Tigris and Euphrates, 1830), or at least having a grenade hucked into your building plans at regular intervals (Galaxy Trucker, Dungeon Lords).

Though there is one out-there solution I always have to propose for situations like this: Avery Alder's The Quiet Year is more of a micro roleplaying game than a board game, and you will need to bring some creativity to the table. You have a piece of paper to draw a map on, and a deck of cards to guide you through one year of rebuilding a post-apocalyptic community.

There's no win condition--in fact, there's only a fatalistic loss condition that you can never avoid, because a vague, undefined threat will always come during the winter and end your way of life. But if you want the feel of really *building* something, nothing in the tabletop sphere has ever come close.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Gejimayu posted:

Maybe something like Dungeon Lords?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I recommend Burano if you're willing to go really complex, the little cube village looks really cool by the end.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Pander posted:

GMT? Whats that?

They're the largest wargame publisher, basically mainstream. They do Twilight Struggle, and containers for the many tokens and chits their games use.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonists is all about building a functioning village over several long eras.

My recommendation is Keyflower where you're building a working economy with cute hand painted tiles but the meat of the game is viciously outbidding your opponents and clogging up their village to profit from their buildings.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gejimayu posted:

Castles of mad king Ludwig would be perfect for that, yeah. Caverna is also a good one; Dinosaur Island tries to emulate but adds this particularly painful random factor to a worker placement game that you can spend effort to prevent but it's not as satisfying as Vlaada's designs.

The real answer is Archipelago, An Infamous Traffic, and John Company. They are the best semi-competitive (semi-cooperative) "building" games I've played. In Archipelago, you're making a functioning colony, while in the other two, they are the more abstract notion of making a reputation with an island, Scottish castle, and highly regarded family back home. However, good luck finding John Company at a reasonable price for the next couple years. It might have a reprint in 2020.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 26, 2018

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Are any of the 'legacy' games good with two players? Already played both seasons of Pandemic and Risk. We really enjoy games with campaigns with consequences.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Gejimayu posted:

Either Castles or Suburbia yeah. Suburbia nails that light SimCity feel for me

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

uncle blog posted:

Are any of the 'legacy' games good with two players? Already played both seasons of Pandemic and Risk. We really enjoy games with campaigns with consequences.

Gloomhaven!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

al-azad posted:

The Colonists is all about building a functioning village over several long eras.

My take on The Colonists was that the village and buildings are actually just score markers in disguise and they don't really "do" anything. It didn't feel like a village builder to me as a result.

The meat of the game is all in the worker movement/placement and resource conversions done via the common action spaces board that gets progressively built. That's where all the action is.

Caverna Cave vs Cave (the two player Caverna-inspired game) is a pretty good builder while being a solid game however. So is Fields Of Arle but it's a much heavier game.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 27, 2018

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

uncle blog posted:

Wife and I loved pandemic legacy seasons with two players. Now we love gloomhaven. All glory to the hypnotoadGloomhaven.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

uncle blog posted:

Note: charterstone is not great and I suspect would be far worse at 2. Seafall cannot be recommended with any player count or gaming group. Betrayal probably doesn't even play 2?

Just gloom it up and I don't mean the awful card game.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I think it's finally time I added some games to my party line up. Avalon, Codenames, and ONUW have kept us occupied for years. What are some newer gold standards? I remember a lot of talk about Decrypto in the past few months. Is that the go to? I think I also remember some positive talk about Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, but not sure if that's different enough to get when I already have Avalon & ONUW

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 27, 2018

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

uncle blog posted:

Rise of Queensdale has some good buzz, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

pospysyl posted:

Rise of Queensdale has some good buzz, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

I watched the segment on it in Rahdo's top 10, and something that seemed pretty damning about it (despite him liking the game) was his complaint that in later games you start to feel railroaded into a certain strategy by previous choices. On the other hand, i think the Dice Tower's knock on it was more that the amount of change over several games was relatively small compared to other legacy games, so idk. Might just be a situation where they created a good game that isn't particularly helped by its legacy elements (as opposed to Seafall's mediocre/bad game which is only interesting because of its legacy elements).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Megasabin posted:

I think it's finally time I added some games to my party line up. Avalon, Codenames, and ONUW have kept us occupied for years. What are some newer gold standards? I remember a lot of talk about Decrypto in the past few months. Is that the go to? I think I also remember some positive talk about Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, but not sure if that's different enough to get when I already have Avalon & ONUW

Pictomania is fabulous.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Deception is very much its own thing, and worth trying as long as you don't expect to get too many plays out of it. Kind of a novelty game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Megasabin posted:

If you want games that are simple enough to charm nongamers (like Codenames and Avalon), i would recommend Insider and Fake Artist Goes to new York.