Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Replaced the corded (both) tires on my F4i today after doing a huge smoky burnout on the old rear. :) Tire change went smooth, however I noticed the rear wheel bearings are completely shot. As in, there's audible crunching and a rough feeling in them. The bike has 37k miles on it, is this about avg for wheel bearing life?

My main question is where is a good online shop to get the bearings from?

It looks pretty doable in my garage to drive the bearings in and out with a correct sized socket and and hammer, am I right here? thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
video of said burnout?

Wheel bearings are easy if you change them before they fail catastrophically,37k miles is about typical from my experience, my SV needed rear bearings at 36, my buddys FZ6 at about 40k. There's probably a bearing in the sprocket carrier thats needs to be replaced too.

I usually just pick up the appropriate bearings in the local plant machinery spares place, as they're about 50% cheaper than bike shops for the exact same bearings.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I've ordered from all balls before and been happy with them.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
thanks guys!

echomadman posted:

video of said burnout?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWQHvgQ0wc0

the first burnout was much better as you can see right in front of this one. but my friend didn't press 'record' properly..

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've had good luck getting the part number off of the bearing seal and buying them at Carquest. You end up paying about $2-5 a piece and they've always had them in stock for every weird one I've brought in.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yesterday I tightened my chain back into spec, and today I noticed that it's making little popping noises when I hand-rotate the rear wheel, and the master link's really stiff. The chain's only a year old, and I maintain it by running a bead of gear oil down each side and then wiping the excess. I just wanna be on the safe side and doublecheck - are a new chain and sprockets in my future?

e: near future, I'm assuming I'd renew the chain at some point anyway

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Is the slack even around the chain? How far does it pull off the middle of the rear sprocket when you grab the chain and pull?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just checked, the slack feels even when I'm measuring it at the midpoint between the two sprockets, but pulling off the rear, some links I can get a joint like almost an eighth of an inch or so off, and some won't move at all. And the popping is a lot stronger the more tension I put on the chain.

Also when I say the master link is stiff I mean it retains a bit of a curve from the sprocket after it rolls off. That alone would lead me to be maybe replacing the chain, but I'd like to get this other thing diagnosed. I doubt it's the wheel bearings, I moved the wheel forward and popped the chain off, and the wheel itself still feels pretty silky, though I wasn't reefing on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah chain is toast.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bugger. Is EK any good or should I just lump it and go DID? (This chain was an EK, and if they don't suck then it's my fault for bein' a bad chain dad)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's an o-ring chain? Any major chain maker should have a 20k warranty on it, how long did it last? Were you making sure you lubed the O rings? I've always used RK chains and they've always served me well.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
X-ring, even, and it's been maybe 7-8000 km, all of it road, which I know is diddly. I was hitting the rings, with some slop over onto the rollers for good measure. Problem is it's probably been a half inch of slack loose (about 1" is specced in the owners manual) for most of that time.

e: Sorry, meant a half-inch of slack extra over the one inch it was supposed to have. 1.5" of slack.

I'd rather be too loose and mung the chain than too tight and mung both the chain and the countershaft seal.

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 29, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ahh yeah too tight will destroy a chain really quickly.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I haven't attempted to start my bike in 3 days but when I took out the spark plugs they were damp (with i think gas), bad sign?

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
So I've been commuting to school around 24 miles round trip every day on my XR650, and I'm getting really sick of the storage situation. Anyone have any actually affordable saddlebags/luggage recommendations? The bigger the better, and the cheaper the better too.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Chill_Bebop posted:

So I've been commuting to school around 24 miles round trip every day on my XR650, and I'm getting really sick of the storage situation. Anyone have any actually affordable saddlebags/luggage recommendations? The bigger the better, and the cheaper the better too.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/classic-or-cl-series/p2021206.jcwx?skuId=560692&TID=8014524FT4&zmam=15972153&zmas=21&zmac=141&zmap=561778

I have some of these on my ninja, and they've been sufficient for almost everything I've wanted to carry.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What's it like buying motorcycles in California without a title? I see good deals from time to time but I've heard it can be a real bitch to actually complete the process. For example, I saw a 1981 Honda CB750 on Craigslist but from what I understand, I would need to complete a bill of sale, possibly buy a surety bond, do a VIN/title check... etc.

What if the current owner just doesn't have the title, but they're paid up on the registration and their current name/address is on the registration card? Would that make life easier for me?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I haven't attempted to start my bike in 3 days but when I took out the spark plugs they were damp (with i think gas), bad sign?

Did you play with the throttle at all?

I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem unless it's leaking somewhere. A fuel system should keep pressure over a few days, I would think.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Radbot posted:

What's it like buying motorcycles in California without a title? I see good deals from time to time but I've heard it can be a real bitch to actually complete the process. For example, I saw a 1981 Honda CB750 on Craigslist but from what I understand, I would need to complete a bill of sale, possibly buy a surety bond, do a VIN/title check... etc.

What if the current owner just doesn't have the title, but they're paid up on the registration and their current name/address is on the registration card? Would that make life easier for me?

Check this out:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr14.htm
Also this:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

(From here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/vrbrochures_top.htm)

Basically, it depends on where it was titled last. If it was titled last in Alabama, then it's a big clusterfuck. If it was last titled in CA, they need to fill out the application for a duplicate title that's paired with a reassignment of the title.

If it was last done out of state, they need to have the original title.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Z3n posted:

Check this out:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr14.htm
Also this:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

(From here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/vrbrochures_top.htm)

Basically, it depends on where it was titled last. If it was titled last in Alabama, then it's a big clusterfuck. If it was last titled in CA, they need to fill out the application for a duplicate title that's paired with a reassignment of the title.

If it was last done out of state, they need to have the original title.

Gotcha, and thanks a lot for the links. It seems like it's a pretty easy process for a cheap, old motorcycle (no bond to post, no odometer statement, etc.) as long as it was titled in CA. Thanks!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Radbot posted:

Gotcha, and thanks a lot for the links. It seems like it's a pretty easy process for a cheap, old motorcycle (no bond to post, no odometer statement, etc.) as long as it was titled in CA. Thanks!

Forgot, 2 other handy links:
https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck
and
https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/index.jsp

Also worth knowing.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Holy everloving gently caress is that fee calculator useful... I had no idea that existed. I have a bike that I bought a few months ago that I never transferred the title for (registration is current, though) and I was putting it off since I thought the penalty fees would be a lot. Turns out it's just like $30 or so... so off to AAA I go! Thanks!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Radbot posted:

Holy everloving gently caress is that fee calculator useful... I had no idea that existed. I have a bike that I bought a few months ago that I never transferred the title for (registration is current, though) and I was putting it off since I thought the penalty fees would be a lot. Turns out it's just like $30 or so... so off to AAA I go! Thanks!

Yeah it's pretty cool. The CA dmv is slowly modernizing. There's also an online release of liability too.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've got a 2009 Bonneville, and I've been noticing ever since I got it that sometimes when I shift from 2nd to 1st there's a fairly pronounced sort of "kerchunk" I can both hear and feel with my foot. I just assumed that was it passing through neutral but wondered why it only happened sometimes (other times, I can still feel it pass through neutral but not nearly as much).

Now this morning I'm really worried because as I was shifting down coming to a stop (decelerating fairly rapidly from 3rd), as I went from 2nd to 1st it met serious resistance as it passed through neutral. I felt a strong rattling with my foot, and it made a sound like grinding gears.

I thought at first that I maybe didn't have the clutch all the way disengaged, but wouldn't I have noticed that seconds before, when I went from 3rd to 2nd? When I tried shifting again a couple seconds later, it went fine, and it didn't happen again for the rest of my ride.

Should I be worried about this?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

SlightlyMadman posted:

I've got a 2009 Bonneville, and I've been noticing ever since I got it that sometimes when I shift from 2nd to 1st there's a fairly pronounced sort of "kerchunk" I can both hear and feel with my foot. I just assumed that was it passing through neutral but wondered why it only happened sometimes (other times, I can still feel it pass through neutral but not nearly as much).

Now this morning I'm really worried because as I was shifting down coming to a stop (decelerating fairly rapidly from 3rd), as I went from 2nd to 1st it met serious resistance as it passed through neutral. I felt a strong rattling with my foot, and it made a sound like grinding gears.

I thought at first that I maybe didn't have the clutch all the way disengaged, but wouldn't I have noticed that seconds before, when I went from 3rd to 2nd? When I tried shifting again a couple seconds later, it went fine, and it didn't happen again for the rest of my ride.

Should I be worried about this?

That just sounds like your clutch isnt fully disengaging, the transition from 1st-2nd and 2nd to 1st is the one that usually involves the biggest difference in engine speed so its much more noticable than changing between other gears

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Hmm, ok I'll be extra sure that I squeeze hard on the lever and see if that helps prevent it in the future. This could also mean my clutch cable is too loose or something, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yes, if your clutch cable is too loose it can cause that. It should have about a quarter inch of slack in the bar before it starts to pull on the cable.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Another mostly unrelated question: I've heard people talk about up-shifting without using the clutch, and I've tried it but it simply won't go unless I have the clutch in. Is that something specific to the Bonneville that won't allow it? I really don't find it to be any problem to use the clutch for up-shifting so I don't really care; I was just curious.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

No, it's just your technique. The best way to learn it is to lightly preload the shifter with the throttle on, and then roll off as you push up on the shifter, you'll feel it drop into gear. It's a VERY fast movement, the second you start to roll off the throttle, the bike needs to shift while the transmission isn't under load, which is a tiny slice of time.

Give it a shot, it's faster and smoother than clutch in shifting when done correctly, but you do have to do it correctly or risk transmission damage. Kinda pointless on a bonnie, honestly.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Cool, I wasn't sure if I was just doing it wrong or if it was only possible on sport bikes or something. I can't really imagine being in a situation any time soon where it would gain me anything as a new rider, so it would likely do more harm than good.

I'll check my clutch lever after work today to see if it has more than a quarter inch of slack, and try holding it extra tight on the ride home to see if that helps my down shifts.

I did actually adjust the levers when I got the bike, because the PO had massive hands and I have tiny girl hands, so I guess that could have something to do with it. Is it recommended to adjust the cable somehow when you adjust the levers?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How did you adjust the levers? If you've got a roller on the levers that you can adjust to change how far the lever is from the bar, then yes, it's possible that you adjusted the levers in and the clutch couldn't completely disengage anymore. The important thing is to maintain a very small amount of slack before the clutch engages, especially if you have the lever close to the bar. The closer the lever is to the bar, the less engagement you'll get in the lever, and the more important it is that the clutch releases in a minimum of distance.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, I have the little disc on the lever labeled 1-4 and I moved it I think from 4 to 2. Whichever number it was, it was where the levers were the furthest away from the grips, and I could barely reach them.

I'll have to see if my owner's manual tells how to adjust the slack on the cable; I take it it's more complicated than on a bicycle, but still a simple procedure?

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.
Yes, it's very easy. At most you might need a pair of pliers and two crescent wrenches.

Also, make sure you aren't trying to shift into first gear while the bike is moving more than 10 mph, that can cause the clicking noise you talked about before. I used to do that before I learned how to engine brake properly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, I have the little disc on the lever labeled 1-4 and I moved it I think from 4 to 2. Whichever number it was, it was where the levers were the furthest away from the grips, and I could barely reach them.

I'll have to see if my owner's manual tells how to adjust the slack on the cable; I take it it's more complicated than on a bicycle, but still a simple procedure?

It's actually no more complicated than it is on a bicycle. There will be a little screw type adjuster at the top of the cable where it goes into the clutch perch, rotate that out to take slack out of the cable, rotate it in to add slack. If it's all the way out, adjust it all the way in and then there's another adjustment at the bottom of the clutch cable, by where it goes into the engine. :)

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Z3n posted:

Yes, if your clutch cable is too loose it can cause that. It should have about a quarter inch of slack in the bar before it starts to pull on the cable.

For what it's worth, every Bonneville I've ridden does this to some extent, as does my Thruxton.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

The NonBornKing posted:

Also, make sure you aren't trying to shift into first gear while the bike is moving more than 10 mph, that can cause the clicking noise you talked about before. I used to do that before I learned how to engine brake properly.

poo poo, really? If I'm coming up to a red light, I'll shift all the way down as soon as i start braking, so I can be going 30+ still when I drop it into first. That's what I was taught to do in the MSF as far as I can recall, but I guess it didn't matter then since we were rarely going over 10 mph anyways.

Have I done any serious damage by riding like this for the past few months?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

poo poo, really? If I'm coming up to a red light, I'll shift all the way down as soon as i start braking, so I can be going 30+ still when I drop it into first. That's what I was taught to do in the MSF as far as I can recall, but I guess it didn't matter then since we were rarely going over 10 mph anyways.

Have I done any serious damage by riding like this for the past few months?

No, but the problem with that is that if the light goes green and you need to accelerate, you're doing 30mph in first gear. It's best to click down in rough relation to your road speed, so go into second at around 30mph, and then first at around 10-15mph, depending on the gearing of your bike.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Or on a literbike shift down to 2nd for 80 MPH, or 1st for 60...

You should click down to roughly the gear that matches your speed like Z3n says. It's not good to slam it into first going 50. At least, the transmission CLUNK never sounds like it much cares for that sort of thing so I try not to do it.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
To avoid the loud clunk I just try to rev match it as much as possible. 2nd to 1st at 35mph if I have a openning to do an awesome wheelie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I was down in Great Falls, Montana today doing some cross-border shopping, and I saw a dude on a race-style ATV booting it up one of the main roads, with a plate dangling from the back.

Is this actually a thing there? Can you street a goddamn ATV in Montana? :911: