Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
In my second game, Germany has been a great asset through Barbarossa's incompetent spies. Get a notification one's captured, trade him back to Germany for a decent amount of gold, and not ten turns later the same thing happens again and the process repeats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First Better AI mod:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/delnars-ai-cleanup.600594/

code:
AI-only changes:
* Added the Explore UnitAIType to Spies because they can be used for scouting
* Added the Ranged UnitAIType to Rangers because they have a range 1 ranged attack (like Slingers)
* Added the Civilian UnitAIType to Naturalists because they have no combat strength
* Added the Explore UnitAIType to Modern AT because they were the only melee land unit missing the entry (this just means the AI can use them as scouts if it wants to)
* Removed the Explore UnitAIType from Modern Armor and replaced it with the Melee UnitAIType to make them consistent with all other Heavy Cavalry entries
* Added the Civilian UnitAIType to Military Engineers because they have no combat strength
* Added the Build UnitAIType to Legions because they can build the same improvements Military Engineers can, so the AI should be able to use them as builders
* Added the Cavalry UnitAIType to Barbarian Horse Archers, Egyption Chariot Archers, Scythian Horse Archers, American Rough Riders, Russian Cossacks, Indian Varu, and Arabian Mamluks because they were all missing despite having cavalry movespeeds
* Added the Explore UnitAIType to Barbarian Horse Archers and Scythian Horse Archers to make them consistent with the light cavalry roles in which they could act
* Added a Ranged Promotion Class build preference for Tomyrisi because Scythian Horse Archers have that promotion class (not the light cavalry one)
* Added a new, generic CitySpecialization to the city specializations list that is meant to act as a stand-in for split food-production preference
* (Hopefully) altered the gold spending priorities of the default savings list so that splurge spending is rated less important than unit/upgrade spending
* Tweaked flavors in the default flavor list to slightly value expansion over offense and value active defense over passive defense
* Altered the preferred yield focus of the "build trade units" specialization to be production instead of gold because that would end up producing the trade unit(s) faster
* Reduced current task bias from 80 to 50 to hopefully reduce AI railroading as much
* Reduced turns to wait between trade offers from 10 to 3 to make it consistent with turns to wait between peace offers
* (Hopefully) Reduced delay between denounce and DoW to allow the AI to truly execute surprise attacks

Changes with some non-AI effects:
* Added the Ranged TypeTag to Rangers because they have a range 1 ranged attack
* Added the Melee TypeTag to Garde Imperiale because they were somehow missing it
* Added the Naval Ranged TypeTag to Privateers, English Sea Dogs, Submarines, German U-Boats, and Nuclear Submarines because they all have ranged attacks
* Increased the fertility rating of bonus resources from 1 to 2 to correspond to their usefulness vs. other fertility ratings (strategic resource = 3, river = 3, coast = 1)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm thinking of picking this up soon. Anything new I need to become familiar with? Also, can you stack units to make armies yet? It was like the one function I really liked about Civ: Rev.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
You can create corps in the later game by stacking up to 3 of the same unit type

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

steinrokkan posted:

OK, I'm probably retarded or something, but I'm trying to use a bombard, which is said to have range 2, but there is no option to use ranged attack that I can see? It's one tile removed from the target city, and the intervening tile is clear. Am I missing something obvious?

Is the button actually greyed out?

Just recently I've had a few times when I click to ranged attack and it doesn't highlight anything for me to attack but I can still do it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I feel like a lot of these changes are just "I disagree with the devs who maybe had reasons for doing this but I don't care" instead of actual fixes

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

scrubs season six posted:

4 still had the stack of doom, right?

Yeah Civ5 started 1UPT. Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of 1UPT, in fact I hate it, but the way that cities/production/research/trade have changed since Civ4 is the much bigger source of disappointment to me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
There's no production queue in Civ 6, is there?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Picking Egypt can really screw you since it likes to put you in a ton of desert biomes and they produce next to nothing.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I feel like a lot of these changes are just "I disagree with the devs who maybe had reasons for doing this but I don't care" instead of actual fixes

Welcome to Civ modding

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's probably been pointed out but here's my favourite bug so far. I'm not exactly sure how I did it, but I got an infantry unit to preserve its water movement speed when going onto land. It could move as if it had 5 movement instead of 2 basically, just for the one turn.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It's probably been pointed out but here's my favourite bug so far. I'm not exactly sure how I did it, but I got an infantry unit to preserve its water movement speed when going onto land. It could move as if it had 5 movement instead of 2 basically, just for the one turn.

Everything to do with embarking and disembarking is crazy black magic. I think I've accurately predicted what was going to happen maybe 30% of the time in my games.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Turtlicious posted:

First Better AI mod:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/delnars-ai-cleanup.600594/

code:
* Reduced turns to wait between trade offers from 10 to 3 to make it consistent with turns to wait between peace offers

I too have longed for the AI to spam me with lovely trade offers as often as it spams me with lovely peace offers. Consistency is key!

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Is there a way reduce the the amount of turns in between each time Cleopatra denounces "the size of my army" as she clearly looks at my dick when saying so? Degradation is a kink of mine.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ross Perowned posted:

Is there a way reduce the the amount of turns in between each time Cleopatra denounces "the size of my army" as she clearly looks at my dick when saying so? Degradation is a kink of mine.

oh ok I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Darkrenown posted:

I too have longed for the AI to spam me with lovely trade offers as often as it spams me with lovely peace offers. Consistency is key!

Finally, the AI has consistency

of poo poo

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

dicking around with the xml i somehow managed to make the game 2 units per tile

it works pretty well actually

Darkrenown posted:

i should put both those values to 999

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deki posted:

It's really good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

prefect posted:

There's no production queue in Civ 6, is there?

nope

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Seashell Salesman posted:

Everything to do with embarking and disembarking is crazy black magic. I think I've accurately predicted what was going to happen maybe 30% of the time in my games.

I figured it out, it's the promotion that removes the movement penalty for disembarking. Technically, any unit that starts in the water moves the speed of their water movement, which normally isn't as noticeable because it costs a good chunk of movement points to disembark. It's still weird because you can immediately run like 3 tiles inland in the later game, but that promotion lets you run like 6 tiles across grassland.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Deki posted:

I'm pretty sure they made sure to sexualize everything they could about Cleopatra

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Seashell Salesman posted:

Yeah Civ5 started 1UPT. Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of 1UPT, in fact I hate it, but the way that cities/production/research/trade have changed since Civ4 is the much bigger source of disappointment to me.

"Wweh wweh, things have changed and I don't like change."

If you're trying to take a real look at whether or not changes are better (instead of just changes or taking away broken strategies you personally liked), that's possible to do.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
To start a religion I need to get a Great Prophet? I'm already in Renaissance and I started this game wanting to be a religious conqueror.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KingKapalone posted:

To start a religion I need to get a Great Prophet? I'm already in Renaissance and I started this game wanting to be a religious conqueror.

And a holy site.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Cobbsprite posted:

"Wweh wweh, things have changed and I don't like change."

If you're trying to take a real look at whether or not changes are better (instead of just changes or taking away broken strategies you personally liked), that's possible to do.

Have you considered that maybe he really thinks 1UPT sucks??? And that cities/production/research/trade were better in Civ4? Hardly unheard of opinions, though tbh the commerce slider was kinda weird and I don't think a lot of people preferred it to the current science implementation.

Anyway there's a bunch of times the xml files mention the production queue and I think I remember seeing some //TODO for the queue, it looks like they at least intended to have it at launch but didn't have enough time. So the UI is probably lovely because it just wasn't ready when the game was released.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
1upt makes the AI unable to wage war, which basically removes an entire game system from the game. If you exclusively play multiplayer then it's an improvement because presumably the other human player can wage war, but otherwise it's a step backwards.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, it reads more like someone just looked through the config files and fixed inconsistencies rather than actually trying to make the AI better. It's not clear if they were oversights or if they were intentional for some reason that came out of play testing, but I seriously doubt anyone had poo poo like "the AI doesn't scout with modern AT" on their list of issues that need to be fixed.

Powercrazy posted:

1upt makes the AI unable to wage war, which basically removes an entire game system from the game. If you exclusively play multiplayer then it's an improvement because presumably the other human player can wage war, but otherwise it's a step backwards.

It only makes AI that's not programmed to handle 1upt properly unable to wage war. It's not a problem with 1upt, it's a problem with AI design and 1upt is an improvement on death stacks in many ways.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Staltran posted:

though tbh the commerce slider was kinda weird and I don't think a lot of people preferred it to the current science implementation.

You see, it's much more fiddly, which means it's more complicated which is better because

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Chalks posted:

It only makes AI that's not programmed to handle 1upt properly unable to wage war. It's not a problem with 1upt, it's a problem with AI design and 1upt is an improvement on death stacks in many ways.

Such as?

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
I quite like the corps/army function in civ6, since carpets of units can be a pain. I do wish it was available a little earlier, since I tend to do a lot of my warring in the early game before they're available.

Really, I've been enjoying civ6 quite a lot, and I really like the districts system, and how certain civs interact with it. A definite improvement from 5.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I really liked the way Civ 2 handled the problem with death stacks. Put as many units as you want on a tile, but they all get obliterated if you lose a defensive battle on that tile. If you look at the way the units are balanced, they are heavily biased towards offense. So it's a game of positioning and ensuring the first strike, and taking advantage of defense multipliers to defend where possible. Of course the AI didn't offer much challenge then, either.

Civ 4 is challenging because death stacks have to be whittled down at the cost of siege units that don't survive the attack. (In the early to mid game, at least). So it's just a question of who can crap out more units. The AI can definitely handle it, though. It just shifts the challenge away from tactical to strategic decision making. Maximizing production, tech leads, or not getting into war in the first place.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I will grant that designing an AI to manipulate pieces on tiles, when considering all of the strategic options available, is hard and would break a processor. However, there are a lot of ways to "cut the cake." The programmers don't need to make ai recalculate its entire war mission every turn.

A good AI model for warfare in a game like CIV would be to choose an objective when deciding to go to war, like "liberate this city" or "take this city" or even "prevent this player from achieving victory X." Then, it would have a set of strategies available to it, like moving land armies, naval armies, or air-based armies. It could even have the idea to go to war before it goes to war and send a spy to your industrial district in advance.
Once it decides on the strategy it would be locked in for X turns, or maybe until it loses Y units. (the loss of Y units, or maybe Y-Z units in a turn, might trigger a reassessment of the war.)
Then it could design on a unit "formation" This would be the way it wants its armies to move, such that they are not too vulnerable. This is the missing piece of civ AI that makes it very easy to take out - it tends to not attack units effectively, or care for its weaker pieces needed to siege.
Something as basic as assigning each unit a priority based on its class and direct units to attack units within striking distance of units with high priority would be better than what the AI does now.

Obviously this is a sketch of an AI solution with a lot of unanswered questions, but it's far better than what the AI does now. And, well-implemented, it would not cause any more chug on your computers than CIV's current AI.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Firaxis should hire all the guys who made commander the great war

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How do you look at each of the civs abilities?

I couldn't find a way from the main menu. I had to create a game to check the civilopedia, and there is no back button. :barf: So I have to click on a civ to see the civ trait, click the leader to see the leader trait for that civ, go back to the civs tab, pick that civ again, click the first unique unit/building/improvement, see that, go back to the civ tab, pick the civ again, and then check the second unique thingie.

This is stupidly tedious. There has to be a better way to see each civs abilities, the UI can't be this loving bad.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Chalks posted:

That's the AI we have though, and that's probably not going to change. Hopefully they'll at least patch the AI so it realizes when it could just take your capital instead of just shuffling their units around it until reinforcements arrive and walls get built.

Besides the whole death stack thing is also because of AI not programmed to handle stacks properly. The AI in Civ 4 had a single stack moving around on the map and a garrison stack in every city, because that way it couldn't look like a complete moron. If they had done something else the AI would have constantly lost cities because it left them lightly defended when it shouldn't have, heavily defended cities that weren't threatened at all leaving them without enough units where they actually needed them, or tried to attack with stacks that weren't big enough to actually achieve anything. So you give the AI massive production bonuses so that it can afford to defend everywhere, and that means a human player can only conquer an AI if they get extremely hammer efficient trades. Since the AI only has one stack, you also only need one stack. Civ 4 mp on the other hand has a heavy emphasis on 2-movers and ships, since humans don't have the production to defend everywhere at once.

1UPT would be far more palatable if they let you stack units, but you couldn't attack while stacked and everything in the stack took damage if attacked or something. That would take care of the traffic jams and needing to give new move commands constantly. Also the goddamn city states couldn't block your settlers in chokepoints :argh:. And the AI couldn't block your workers/great people/whatever with their missionaries. Though I've managed to move my religious units to stack with AI units by giving the command when I can't see the AI unit, which then lets you keep moving to other hexes occupied by the AI and walk through their unit carpet to their city to convert it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Barbarians are ridiculous. I like that theh are a thing but they should slow down the respawn on those stupid camps. There is oooonnneeee unseen tile over here and ahaa now you have 3 units pillaging tiles. The cost to repair those tiles is so expensive for how fsst the barbarians come back.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Staltran posted:

1UPT would be far more palatable if they let you stack units, but you couldn't attack while stacked and everything in the stack took damage if attacked or something. That would take care of the traffic jams and needing to give new move commands constantly. Also the goddamn city states couldn't block your settlers in chokepoints :argh:. And the AI couldn't block your workers/great people/whatever with their missionaries. Though I've managed to move my religious units to stack with AI units by giving the command when I can't see the AI unit, which then lets you keep moving to other hexes occupied by the AI and walk through their unit carpet to their city to convert it.

I actually like this idea. Stack as many units as you want but suffer a malus to strength if you go over a certain limit of units, that scales with the number of units. Tactical Wargames have been doing this for decades as a means to force you to spread out your units. It alleviates traffic jams and gives you the option to stack units on an important location if the penalty is outweighed by the benefit of having more units there.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 27, 2016

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Sanctum posted:

How do you look at each of the civs abilities?

I couldn't find a way from the main menu. I had to create a game to check the civilopedia, and there is no back button. :barf: So I have to click on a civ to see the civ trait, click the leader to see the leader trait for that civ, go back to the civs tab, pick that civ again, click the first unique unit/building/improvement, see that, go back to the civ tab, pick the civ again, and then check the second unique thingie.

This is stupidly tedious. There has to be a better way to see each civs abilities, the UI can't be this loving bad.

You just go to a new game lobby and then "choose leader" and hover over each to see the tooltip that displays all of this information in a concise and readable form?

It's one of the few aspects of the UI that makes sense and works well.

Re: stacks vs. 1UPT, Endless Legends handled that fairly well I thought. Stacks for movement that are deployed into an overlaid map with boundaries and combat was handled in a TBS mini-game. Stacks are highly convenient for movement, but I find deathstack combat to be visually and strategically uninteresting.

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 27, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I absolutely hate that non-combat troops from other nations block your movement, especially because you can no logner control the pathing of your roads. Now I need to move through the territory of city states and other nations if I want to use the road system throughout my entire empire, and there is always a swarm of AI missionaries and other garbage units just blocking my path at every turn. Roads literally don't matter for me, because a section of road uninterrupted by AI unit spam is more rare than a successful AI siege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
To be honest I really want to turn off religion a lot of the time, because the INSANE missionary spam is just frustrating me to death. I'm thiiiis close to just declaring war as soon as I see an AI is going for religion, and taking them out immediately. It's not worth the hassle in the long run.