Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Eopia posted:

6O's line is the biggest sucker punch there.

That part got to me yeah, like a knife in the gut
Cant even tell if its some remnant of 6O calling out to 2B or the machine network twisting her words (the voicework is an excellent touch from/for the virus)
but hey at least 'something' is loving this poo poo

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Love reading the reactions from people who didn't know what was coming.

Buckle up folks.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Same. 100%

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
This is the point where I strongly, strongly recommend that people watch every video that Id posts for the entire rest of the game, both to see things in motion and to hear the voice acting.

Eopia posted:

6O's line is the biggest sucker punch there.

I've played through that segment twice before it still hurts.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I dunno, I think they can recover from this.

Or just go fishing I guess.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
“Lets go to the Flooded City, cast some lines, and wait for this whole thing to blow over.”

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

This is probably the best sequence in the game. The choir of Crumbling Lies kicking things off, the visuals, the everything...

Dammit all, it's just really loving good.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
So, this latest update made me realize something I completely missed the first time along
Well, two things actually
But the main one is something I can only bring up later
Just hope I remember it by the time we get to that part

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, yeah, I'm invested now. This is super interesting. I wasn't expecting the Commander to go down with the ship, for one. Usually, people say that about Captains.

edit: It's really weird how there's no impact from that little cutscene scuffle in the bunker just after the Commander tries to detain you.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 23, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Arkanumzilong posted:

So, this latest update made me realize something I completely missed the first time along
Well, two things actually
But the main one is something I can only bring up later
Just hope I remember it by the time we get to that part

The main games thread is still up if you wanna talk spoilers.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Ah, the feeling of shooting a big ol' bump of 100% pure full-strength Yoko Taro right into your eyeball after several hours of pale imitations.

:kheldragar:

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
The Commander turned out to be an alright gal. :unsmith:

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Perfect plot twists in games don't exis-

...Oh. You crazy for this one, Yoko.

This is a good idea. I just posted some stuff there.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I'm getting a new laptop to play this game. That's how much I'm loving this poo poo right now, holy poo poo. Probably need to stop following the thread until I can catch up...

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Yeah, this is probably the last chance to get out if you want to want to experience this ride for yourself. It's all :yokotaro: from here on out. :getin:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

witchcore ricepunk posted:

The Commander turned out to be an alright gal. :unsmith:

Everything about the Commander paints her less as a bad person than as a person in a bad position. She cares about her people, but the requirements of her assignment mean she spends most of her time ordering their deaths, one way or another.

Figure her staying behind was as much guilt as anything else. No sense in risking people she cared about to save the life of someone who'd done what she did.

(Although, given Ending U, it's quite possible she's still floating there. Glaring.)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Everyone should at least watch the video long enough to hear this sequence. It loses something as just text.

Yeah "SHODAN filter" is not an exaggeration. I'd like to know if it was a direct inspiration.

The Commander's reaction to 9S revealing how he kept 2B and himself from getting infected is...interesting.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Kavak posted:

The Commander's reaction to 9S revealing how he kept 2B and himself from getting infected is...interesting.

I think it was her realizing "oh, 9S and 2B avoided being infected because they didn't sync up. But I did sync up. gently caress."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Glazius posted:

Given how 9S's run involved, in part, finding out that all the machine lifeforms are just playing at failure,

I feel like I missed something here.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DeafNote posted:

That part got to me yeah, like a knife in the gut
Cant even tell if its some remnant of 6O calling out to 2B or the machine network twisting her words (the voicework is an excellent touch from/for the virus)
but hey at least 'something' is loving this poo poo

It’s just accessing random nonsensical data from the bunker. There’s no actual meaning behind anything machines do.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Honestly, for what I have to say its best posted on this thread when the lp covers it
As its just a background detail that is easy to miss and Id might well point it out at the proper update

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

I feel like I missed something here.

It's when he's in their database after getting KO'd in the kaiju fight.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Kavak posted:

It's when he's in their database after getting KO'd in the kaiju fight.

Didn't get the impression from that that the machines weren't actually trying and failing tbh. I could be wrong though.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

GunnerJ posted:

Didn't get the impression from that that the machines weren't actually trying and failing tbh. I could be wrong though.

9S specifically said that it was as if failure itself was the point

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Holy hell, that is one amazing opening sequence. The biggest gut punch for me was 6O's final words there, and how she was clearly struggling to stay together up to the end. :smith:

chiasaur11 posted:

Everything about the Commander paints her less as a bad person than as a person in a bad position. She cares about her people, but the requirements of her assignment mean she spends most of her time ordering their deaths, one way or another.

Figure her staying behind was as much guilt as anything else. No sense in risking people she cared about to save the life of someone who'd done what she did.

(Although, given Ending U, it's quite possible she's still floating there. Glaring.)

Yeah, this paints her letting 9S go less ominous and more that she's struggling not to follow protocol and have him killed for accessing confidential data. As for her staying behind, I imagine it's because she read some old human data about how commanding officers go down a sinking ship.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So how did the virus end up at YoRHa base to begin with?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

Piggybacked with 9S and 2B I think.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I feel like I need to quit reading and start finding a way to play but I can't tear my eyes away. :suspense:

bman in 2288 posted:

Didn't you see the Independance Day movie?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In space, we can all hear 2B scream

as everything she loved explodes violently.

:yokotaro:

Seriously though, this is the greatest intro credits drop in gaming by such a distance.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

KamikazePotato posted:

I think it was her realizing "oh, 9S and 2B avoided being infected because they didn't sync up. But I did sync up. gently caress."

Yeah, I thought it seemed suspicious too (Even if she's on the level, she already called the duo traitors, and now they're revealing that they took exactly the right steps to protect themselves just before this virus broke out? That's cause to make 9 and 2 look worse than they did already). But then she reveals yeah, she's hosed too, and sends them off with her wellwishes, so all good there it seems.

So this storyline, in which the machines suddenly start showing crazy good hacking abilities takes place chronologically right after an ending in which 9S copied himself over the machine network. Hmmm.

FishOnAPiano fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 23, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

bman in 2288 posted:

It's explained.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

It's explained.

You find a file labeled "CuteCatPictures: Definitely not a virus."?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
considering that neither 2B nor 9S were infected because of their delayed desync
and the noise that 9S picked up when he made the delay
it would seem the virus got into the bunker even before Eve's rampage and without piggybacking on 9S or 2B

(and now its become a beautiful flower! ?)

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I would've figured that an Android got Agent Smith'd and uploaded themselves to the Bunker, not sure if they have an anti-virus to detect the logic virus.

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.
It. Begins.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Welp, we knew that this was gonna get all kinds of Nier sooner or later. Taro Yoko's Sith Lord nature demands it.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I made the mistake of starting route C right after finishing route B and ended up playing this game for five hours straight that day.

Then the next time I picked up the game I'm pretty sure I accidentally did it all in one sitting.

The moment the opening credits rolled in, my mind was blown, and then later I realised Yoko Taro got me good, because up until then, I had always figured the Grun fight was the equivalent to that halfway point in the first Nier where poo poo gets real, but no. It was always meant to be this. I like to think it's an intentional ruse - it feels like a great way to play with the expectations of everyone who played the first game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Remember the robovulva that disgorged a naked Sephiroth who then gave birth to DSL Dante and we were all "oh wow this game is so weird"

Those were good times.

mazloum
Mar 29, 2016
Oh yeah.

Those intro credits.

And

That title drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bman in 2288 posted:

Please don't ask for spoilers.

• Locked thread