Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Not sure if the hosts are cowards or the strongest people alive for not dying from rolled eyes.

Cricket is for utelibs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
imo he should care less about cricket tests and more about rapid tests

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Eediot Jedi posted:

Not sure if the hosts are cowards or the strongest people alive for not dying from rolled eyes.

From the photo the host on the right does seems to be giving him a very appropriate "you loving moron" look.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

birdstrike posted:

imo he should care less about cricket tests and more about rapid tests

Nobody likes one dayers.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I feel like anyone who’s legitimately surprised at the failure to collectively respond to COVID could have paid a bit more attention to the last 40 years of climate action

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
It's low down the list of Howard evils but it sucks that he created this dumb idea that the PM needs to hop into the commentary box every SCG test match

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
At least Howard was somewhat believable as a cricket fan, and with a ripping leg break

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I thought Howard was an actual legit cricket fiend? Didn't he try to be the ICC chairman at some point post-PM?

Also no loving way would Gillard, Rudd or Turnbull be caught dead trying to be all PM-of-the-people like this. (Speaking of, now that Morrison is our second-longest-serving 21st century PM, I kind of miss the revolving door days because at least they gave us a new psychopath to armchair analyse every year.)

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
How long can Jeremy Poxon seriously stay unemployed for?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Greg of Doom posted:

he can be pretty annoying on Twitter which probably comes out in interviews so a long time I reckon
(I generally agree with a lot of what he says but he can be real grating about it)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

freebooter posted:

I thought Howard was an actual legit cricket fiend? Didn't he try to be the ICC chairman at some point post-PM?

Also no loving way would Gillard, Rudd or Turnbull be caught dead trying to be all PM-of-the-people like this. (Speaking of, now that Morrison is our second-longest-serving 21st century PM, I kind of miss the revolving door days because at least they gave us a new psychopath to armchair analyse every year.)

Yep, and got out politicked by the Indians. It was funny.

I also think, (although it might be hope), that ScoMo's bullshit "daggy dad" persona is wearing thin even for those moronic fuckers who bought into it in the first place. He is desperately trying to double down on it, but I don't think it's working.

(But I may well be wrong on this point. I have underestimated Australians ability to be won over by obviously fake arseholes in the past.)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

I also think, (although it might be hope), that ScoMo's bullshit "daggy dad" persona is wearing thin even for those moronic fuckers who bought into it in the first place. He is desperately trying to double down on it, but I don't think it's working.

I think he's basically just mimicking Howard in the sense that Australians don't want to give a gently caress about politics and are happy to have some boomer/old white dork who appears vaguely competent in charge of poo poo as long as life is good. Right now life is noticeably not good, and Morrison escaped that by vanishing and leaving poo poo to the premiers, but it looks like time might be up on that strategy.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Greg of Doom posted:

How long does he want to keep posting with his real name, your guess is as good as mine.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

freebooter posted:

I'm of two minds about the global COVID response as it portends to climate change. On the one hand the failure of governments to co-operate, the spread of misinformation etc all bodes poorly; on the other hand the immediate development and mass distribution of multiple vaccines within the space of 12-24 months bodes well for the moonshot technology solutions (which are the only things at this point that will mitigate climate change anyway).

Also re: COVID in the developing world it's obviously not ideal to throw in another disease to worry about, but the risk of malaria, HIV/AIDS, cholera and dysentery - all mostly vanquished in the West generations ago - is in the mix every day for hundreds of millions if not billions of people. One of the reasons many Westerners have found COVID so disconcerting is it's the first time since our grandparents' or great-grandparents' generation that we've had to genuinely worry about coming into contact with a serious and widespread illness. As historical pandemics go it's not even on par with the Spanish flu so I wouldn't exactly talk about it being some kind of end-of-days switch-flipping moment.

lol any potential moonshot solution to climate change is much much more difficult and less likely than just "vaccines but faster than usual" for covid & it's not like we've even managed to distribute vaccines well globally. in some places, including here, vaccination programs have been 'good enough' (though of course ours was particularly slow & rocky to begin with) but the usa now has one of its major political parties adopting anti-vaxism as a core value & refusal to move past IP rights is significantly hindering access to vaccines in the third world.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Lol Frydenberg has Covid

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

amazing.

anybody else covid posting??

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

I do appreciate Dickhead was trending on twitter and it was in reference to ScoMo

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

lih posted:

lol any potential moonshot solution to climate change is much much more difficult and less likely than just "vaccines but faster than usual" for covid & it's not like we've even managed to distribute vaccines well globally. in some places, including here, vaccination programs have been 'good enough' (though of course ours was particularly slow & rocky to begin with) but the usa now has one of its major political parties adopting anti-vaxism as a core value & refusal to move past IP rights is significantly hindering access to vaccines in the third world.

Climate change is an immensely slower challenge than the virus that emerged in China in November 2019 and unprecedentedly hosed all our lives up a mere five months later in March 2020

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

JBP posted:

Cricket is for utelibs

Holy poo poo it's JBP

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

freebooter posted:

Climate change is an immensely slower challenge than the virus that emerged in China in November 2019 and unprecedentedly hosed all our lives up a mere five months later in March 2020

which also means there's far less urgency to force governments to do much of use at all, let alone successfully execute some sort of moonshot

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

freebooter posted:

Many of the effects of climate change are already locked in, or will be long before we get remotely close to deploying whatever dumb technobabble you think is going to save us.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
I go back to work in a GP next Monday, and as someone who literally had COVID over our end of year break, instead of some much needed time to relax, instead of seeing the family I haven't seen in a year, I'm still pretty hosed and just getting by day to day, AND I literally wrecked the entire practices xmas and new year plans, including my doctor bosses, so I am absolutely ready to kick out people without masks like I have been too timid to before. To absolutely wreck peoples poo poo over the dollar we charge for a spare mask.

Also we never did vaxes before and now we got a truckload of boosters coming in due to demand when we get back, and they were all told to call back in January. It's been like 2 weeks, and they have all been told to call from Monday.
Pray for me.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Those On My Left posted:

Holy poo poo it's JBP

Yo TOML.

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

I go back to work in a GP next Monday, and as someone who literally had COVID over our end of year break, instead of some much needed time to relax, instead of seeing the family I haven't seen in a year, I'm still pretty hosed and just getting by day to day, AND I literally wrecked the entire practices xmas and new year plans, including my doctor bosses, so I am absolutely ready to kick out people without masks like I have been too timid to before. To absolutely wreck peoples poo poo over the dollar we charge for a spare mask.

Also we never did vaxes before and now we got a truckload of boosters coming in due to demand when we get back, and they were all told to call back in January. It's been like 2 weeks, and they have all been told to call from Monday.
Pray for me.

Good luck and I hope your post covid blergh gets better soon.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Those On My Left posted:

Holy poo poo it's JBP

I see you posting on the bad website

Don't think I don't see you

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Pray for me.

I pray for you, and for the strength to be hardline about it. From personal experience, be direct with the warnings and make sure you use the word trespassing, as in if they do not wear a mask correctly then they are not welcome and are trespassing. Don't hesitate to call the police to remove a trespasser.

edit: Make sure your boss is cool with that stance though. Or not, if you value your health more than your job. Yay covid

SwissDonkey fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 7, 2022

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

SwissDonkey posted:

I pray for you, and for the strength to be hardline about it. From personal experience, be direct with the warnings and make sure you use the word trespassing, as in if they do not wear a mask correctly then they are not welcome and are trespassing. Don't hesitate to call the police to remove a trespasser.

edit: Make sure your boss is cool with that stance though. Or not, if you value your health more than your job. Yay covid

My bosses are pretty cool. They are of the opinion that covid will shut them down and they will lose shitloads of money if we have to shut down for 2 weeks or a week or whatever the time is now because they got COVID, although lol they'll just do telehealth and be fine, but they also called me every goddamn day since I said my partner was COVID positive but not symptomatic, all the way through til I was symptomatic and then called him every day over the Xmas new year period making sure I was okay and didn't need anything they could send or prescribe, so they're good people and I feel very supported if I take a hard stance on masks or whatever I feel i will be backed up.
Also the other new lady quit like 2 weeks before Xmas and I was like "i was promised this many shifts anyway, bring it please oh yes doubles" and I'm training their daughter, who likes me, so basically I poo poo gold as far as they're concerned
I'm just lucky my COVID times really only clicked for the last day I worked, even though I made literally everyone I work with have to miss their Xmas plans

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

My bosses are pretty cool. They are of the opinion that covid will shut them down and they will lose shitloads of money if we have to shut down for 2 weeks or a week or whatever the time is now because they got COVID, although lol they'll just do telehealth and be fine, but they also called me every goddamn day since I said my partner was COVID positive but not symptomatic, all the way through til I was symptomatic and then called him every day over the Xmas new year period making sure I was okay and didn't need anything they could send or prescribe, so they're good people and I feel very supported if I take a hard stance on masks or whatever I feel i will be backed up.
Also the other new lady quit like 2 weeks before Xmas and I was like "i was promised this many shifts anyway, bring it please oh yes doubles" and I'm training their daughter, who likes me, so basically I poo poo gold as far as they're concerned
I'm just lucky my COVID times really only clicked for the last day I worked, even though I made literally everyone I work with have to miss their Xmas plans

What a blurse. I don't envy anyone working in the health sector at the moment but I'm very glad to hear your employers have their heads screwed on straight. Also, please stop beating yourself up about being a close contact. You've said yourself you took many precautions and we all know well how transmissible omicron is. It was an inevitability and you just happened to draw the short straw and be the first staff member to do so. It sucks, but the inevitability was forced on us. Don't blame yourself, blame Scotty. He's from marketing.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

I'm trying not to beat myself up, it's just, it was awful timing.
But I guess great timing too, because it was just before we went on a 2 week close so we didn't lose any money. But the receptionists I worked with and the drs all had to shut down their holidays because my boyfriends idiot company keeps trying to bring them back from work from home. And J got it off him.

The plus side is, he's working from home all this month because everyone refusea to go in now. So my cat gets to have all the attention in the world while I start back at work. It's nice.

Seeing my family would be better, but my mum has sensibly decided that she's not coming anywhere Sydney until shits safer, so hopefully i will see her before one of our birthdays this year. Then we are doing the biggest Xmas ham ever. It'll be great, if it happens.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Yep, and got out politicked by the Indians. It was funny.

(But I may well be wrong on this point. I have underestimated Australians ability to be won over by obviously fake arseholes in the past.)

I'm considering giving the universe a difficult cosmic choice by putting a bunch of money on the LNP to win next federal election. Is it going to make me lose my money and give me the satisfaction of seeing scomo getting kicked out, or is it going to give me a stack of free money to ease the pain of having that smirking oval office go another round

The libs being $2.32 to Labor's $1.58 or whatever is making that very attractive

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008
Welp, Victoria's back in front. 51,356 vs 45,098 in NSW.

gently caress.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Hoopy Frood posted:

gently caress.

A lot of that is due to people registering their RAT test results.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 8, 2022

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Hoopy Frood posted:

gently caress.

To be fair, it's only because VIC is now reporting rapid tests under some sort of recently activated reporting site so that includes the entire week of rapid tests, and NSW...is not. https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f08ad63cf67254a

We'll get that 200k yet!

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

meteor9 posted:

To be fair, it's only because VIC is now reporting rapid tests under some sort of recently activated reporting site so that includes the entire week of rapid tests, and NSW...is not. https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f08ad63cf67254a

We'll get that 200k yet!

Thanks for the link, that explains it well.

A lot of that is due to people registering their RAT test results.

Yep, thanks. I didn't realise that at first and over-reacted.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Staff shortages batter Australian economy as Covid surge leaves half of some companies’ employees unable to work
Trucking and meat industry among hardest hit amid fears some supermarkets may be forced to shut, while calls for free rapid antigen tests at work intensify

And to the surprise of no-one, the lives of dozens and health of hundreds of thousands has been sacrificed for nothing, because the economic impact of an unfettered pandemic will always exceed the impact of lockdown: a fact that the government had 2 years to learn and has pointedly ignored

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Hoopy Frood posted:

gently caress.

A week ago the Victorian Government was saying "25000 a day is a worst case scenario that we won't reach because we are better than NSW".

Whelp.

This week I had to start getting laptops ready with 5 minutes notice so people working in the local health care system could WFH due to being a close contact.

Going to get interesting when Reception/IT/HR/Payroll all have it at the same time, little lone the medical staff.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Breetai posted:

Staff shortages batter Australian economy as Covid surge leaves half of some companies’ employees unable to work
Trucking and meat industry among hardest hit amid fears some supermarkets may be forced to shut, while calls for free rapid antigen tests at work intensify

And to the surprise of no-one, the lives of dozens and health of hundreds of thousands has been sacrificed for nothing, because the economic impact of an unfettered pandemic will always exceed the impact of lockdown: a fact that the government had 2 years to learn and has pointedly ignored

Pretty sure lockdowns wouldn't have been viable in Vic after the last one, especially with omicron's infectiousness and the "it's no where near as bad as delta" story. Too many my freedom dickheads.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
You can't keep locking down when the community is vaccinated because there's nowhere to go from here. Lockdowns are never going to bring it to zero, and the second you come out of lockdown cases go nuts again. There's no longer any light at the end of the tunnel. This is it.

The government should be doing literally everything in their power to expand the hosptial system because this is never going away.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Full authoritarian lockdown. War economy. Military checkpoints. Government supplied food with full PPE on deliverers.

We don't have to go that far, but the option to do this is always there. The idea there's nothing we can do is a dirty loving lie. We don't want to do what we have to do. That's it.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

freebooter posted:

Notable omission there is Abbott who totally would run the same schtick into the ground.

Is it just me or does Scomo seem to perceive the office of PM as a marketing and PR platform where he can do what he does best (in his mind, lol) to serve as the face of the party. Rather than it being, you know, a leadership position that brings to bear real political power, with unavoidable life and death decisions both for the party and for the nation. Between Scotty and Turnbull these pricks would be vaguely tolerable upper middle managers in a better world, but instead they've cat herded their way into playing dress up in the halls of power. It's not going to last much longer, and whatever follows in their wake will be worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Ron Howard voice: the government were not doing anything to expand the hospital system