Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

oh boy oh boy ugly ships you can use lovely skills on designed for a torpedo focused spec they'll be poo poo at yaaay

In theory though, couldn't you use this skill to buff the damage from your fighters? There are a few with serious torpedo loadouts.

Concentrate Firepower
Mark a targeted foe, to coordinate your allies’ weapon fire. All torpedo attacks made against the marked foe deal additional Kinetic damage that bypasses shields. Striking the marked target also has a chance of granting a free High Yield Torpedo I mode to the attacking ally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Well, with the way specs are going:

Intel - DPS/evasion
Command - Tank/Support buffs/uhhhh torpedos.

I'm guessing the next spec will be some kind of sciency healing/debuff/CC type specialization.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Concentrate Firepower is poo poo. There's a good chance in a group that the person who gets the proc is someone with all beam weapons who can't use it, and it's overwritten by torp spread or actively used HYT. In practice you'll never notice it happening, and while a bit of bonus kinetic damage is alright torpedoes are poo poo on cruisers anyway no matter how much Cryptic seems to want people to use them.

(Obvious simple solution: give all torpedoes a free [Arc] increase. This makes most of them 180, and the existing [Arc] torps 270. Boom, now they aren't totally useless on a beam boat. Of course this doesn't solve the weapon skill issue or the fact the damage is poo poo since energy consoles don't boost kinetic damage, but one step at a time I guess.)

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

I'm coming back to this game after something like 4 years. Working on grinding out to the max level. A lot has changed..

Can I get added to the chat?
baldie@atomicpile

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

Concentrate Firepower is poo poo. There's a good chance in a group that the person who gets the proc is someone with all beam weapons who can't use it, and it's overwritten by torp spread or actively used HYT. In practice you'll never notice it happening, and while a bit of bonus kinetic damage is alright torpedoes are poo poo on cruisers anyway no matter how much Cryptic seems to want people to use them.

Well yeah but if you're running Peregrines or Scorpions, or any pets with torps really, surely using that skill is a direct buff to their damage output?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In light of the changes to rewards, and fixes to various areas (bajor), I've updated my omega minigame guide.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

As a warning, the upcoming patch is fixing the boff skill training so you can turn them into manuals and such. But you also won't be able to train commissioned officers anymore, so if you wanted to shuffle diplomacy boffs or the like then now's the time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

As a warning, the upcoming patch is fixing the boff skill training so you can turn them into manuals and such. But you also won't be able to train commissioned officers anymore, so if you wanted to shuffle diplomacy boffs or the like then now's the time.

Wait, what?

CaptainAttitude
May 31, 2003

This haircut was a good idea.
Can I get permission to stuff on WesleyGuide.com, please?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Asimo posted:

As a warning, the upcoming patch is fixing the boff skill training so you can turn them into manuals and such. But you also won't be able to trade commissioned officers anymore, so if you wanted to shuffle diplomacy boffs or the like then now's the time.

Think this is what you meant.

You can't trade commissioned BOFFs anymore, but you can grind a boff down into a training manual to teach other Boffs both exclusive skills and fear.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

Think this is what you meant.
Whoops, yes.

Basically the new system is getting finished, but with the side effect if a few old/rare biff no longer being able to be traded or sold.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Asimo posted:

In other words buy up all the cheap boffs on the exchange with decent powers, then you can convert them into training manuals next week.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
A reminder to folks complaining about lag:

The normal pubbie logins are being deliberately degraded at the moment as part of an ongoing op.

You'll need to log in through the portal to get to the server without the layer of artificial network noise we're imposing on everyone else.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

why don't you just login through the dev servers?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Devs have had restrictions placed on their costume slots, but logging in through the Dental Gateway circumvents this.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

atomicpile posted:

I'm coming back to this game after something like 4 years. Working on grinding out to the max level. A lot has changed..

Can I get added to the chat?
baldie@atomicpile

You're in.

CaptainAttitude posted:

Can I get permission to stuff on WesleyGuide.com, please?

Sure can, what's your username?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's this 'shuffle diplomacy boffs'? I didn't realise they were tradeable. They're tradable? I can get a Federation crew of entirely gorns?

Damnit need more time.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Asimo posted:

oh boy oh boy ugly ships you can use lovely skills on designed for a torpedo focused spec they'll be poo poo at yaaay

3000 Zen. Hmm. Most of the higher ships were 2000-2500. Add the 700 for the Tier 5 Upgrade and the total cost is 2700-3200.

I'm sure some people with the high cost chips are unhappy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looking at the way the parts swap around on the announcement page, I reckon you could scrape together a decent looking version of each ship as long as you own all of the different part variations.

Probably intentional.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Well, there might be one or two with semi-decent boff slots to run regular builds with. So the eventual fleet variants might be worth looking at.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MikeJF posted:

What's this 'shuffle diplomacy boffs'? I didn't realise they were tradeable. They're tradable? I can get a Federation crew of entirely gorns?

Diplo and Marauding boffs (and embassy SRO and some of the Lobi boffs) are bound while candidates, but can be traded once commissioned. Until Thursday.

I wonder if the trade channel price of Fed Orion females has skyrocketed.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bloodly posted:

3000 Zen. Hmm. Most of the higher ships were 2000-2500. Add the 700 for the Tier 5 Upgrade and the total cost is 2700-3200.

I'm sure some people with the high cost chips are unhappy.

With no exaggeration: the increased cost of ships was the thing that finally made two of my friends quit in disgust. The psychological effect of going from 25 to 30 is huge... they weren't impulse buys before, but they're literally half of a full game, a third of a hundred bucks instead of a quarter, etc. When that dropped along with all the other BS, they threw their hands up.

I can't really blame them too. It's pure unabashed greed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

Diplo and Marauding boffs (and embassy SRO and some of the Lobi boffs) are bound while candidates, but can be traded once commissioned. Until Thursday.

I wonder if the trade channel price of Fed Orion females has skyrocketed.

Hrmph. I have six doff mules that are all at 100 marauding, but I can't imagine the value of those boffs is anywhere near as great as Fed Orions.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I used my mules to stock my main klank with a couple of human eng and a sci. It's your only access to the leadership trait as a klank.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Klanks can get one from the Delta pack (I think the Klingon tac officer comes with it?) but this isn't too exciting.

On the Fed side, Marauding's the only way to get a Pirate boff (Nausicaan) aside from the Hierarchy guy, the other options don't provide anything of note. Well, except the Gorn, since they are Gorn.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Asimo posted:

Klanks can get one from the Delta pack (I think the Klingon tac officer comes with it?) but this isn't too exciting.

On the Fed side, Marauding's the only way to get a Pirate boff (Nausicaan) aside from the Hierarchy guy, the other options don't provide anything of note. Well, except the Gorn, since they are Gorn.

Gorn Science all day erry day.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I've already got two anorexic fed Orion whore Boffs for my dkora.

Fuckyougotmine.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1374101

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

Basically the new system is getting finished, but with the side effect if a few old/rare biff no longer being able to be traded or sold.

To hell with the Orion whores, I have to decide the final resting place of 21 veteran boffs, ugh...

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Back when aspergers was considered autism, it never shut up! :boom:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mondian posted:

To hell with the Orion whores, I have to decide the final resting place of 21 veteran boffs, ugh...
I can give one a good home... :ohdear:

Never did bother to pick one up, despite having every other rare/unique boff. Ah well.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Asimo posted:

With no exaggeration: the increased cost of ships was the thing that finally made two of my friends quit in disgust. The psychological effect of going from 25 to 30 is huge... they weren't impulse buys before, but they're literally half of a full game, a third of a hundred bucks instead of a quarter, etc. When that dropped along with all the other BS, they threw their hands up.

I can't really blame them too. It's pure unabashed greed.

If I was doing PWE's pricing I would have reduced prices on all ships by x so that you'd end up on a reduction of prices on all tiers below 6, so dreads would now be 2000 zen, tier 5 1500, tier 4 1000, tier 3 750, tier 2 500 all the way down to tier 1 being 250 zen a ship. Package bundles for each faction (maybe a multi faction pack for tier 1) at a good discount to encourage completionists to splurge just for the different skins or consoles with a lower price of entry. Tier 6 would remain at what was the previous "maximum price" of 2500 zen a piece.

Oh but because in this hypothetical I still work for PWE there would be ship upgrades for T5 ships and dreads at 500 zen a piece so you're still paying the same price for the ships.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

Oh man this is glorious! If you're lucky you might find someone who supports the OPs view.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
After 6 pages I blew my load

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=22248881&postcount=57

I started that thread on the heals of the aspie "I'm not racist you Asian dogs" thread and NOBODY GOT IT.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

If I was doing PWE's pricing I would have reduced prices on all ships by x so that you'd end up on a reduction of prices on all tiers below 6, so dreads would now be 2000 zen, tier 5 1500, tier 4 1000, tier 3 750, tier 2 500 all the way down to tier 1 being 250 zen a ship. Package bundles for each faction (maybe a multi faction pack for tier 1) at a good discount to encourage completionists to splurge just for the different skins or consoles with a lower price of entry. Tier 6 would remain at what was the previous "maximum price" of 2500 zen a piece.

Oh but because in this hypothetical I still work for PWE there would be ship upgrades for T5 ships and dreads at 500 zen a piece so you're still paying the same price for the ships.
I'm positive the sole decision making at PWE was basically...

"We want to sell people yet another upgrade for ships they already own, despite buying them and probably buying fleet modules for them too. Let's make sure to make the upgrades important enough to be mandatory."
"But why would anyone buy old ships now when the new ships don't have to pay for an upgrade?"
"Oh right! Just make them cost more. Also not fleet quality so we can sell that to them later too."

No real... thought to making it enticing or satisfying, just slapping more costs on out of pure naked greed. :downs:

Celoth
Jun 21, 2014

Technically, Tribbles can't say No.
Update on the Command Ships

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9066823-tier-6-command-ships-federation

Diggin' the sexcelsior deflector

Celoth fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 11, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Derpcelsior! :downs:

Overall thoughts: they're pretty okay but nothing exceptional and you can skip them entirely if you got an Eclipse or Astika or something already. Not enough variation between them to even remotely justify faction three-packs. As usual the klank variant is outright superior to the Fed one due to having a cloak. They're fleet level at least if you don't want to spend money and then more money later. The tac trait is probably the only one worth bothering with, but it looks really good for ships that aren't these. I guess a lot comes down to whether the Inspiration thing is worth it (it won't be) since we already know the command skills are poo poo. :effort:

Celoth
Jun 21, 2014

Technically, Tribbles can't say No.
You know what will make me buy these? If the bridges are awesome. The last badass bridge we had was the Oddy.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

What, you expect to get bridges for your $120 space boats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

The Prisidio looks alright - only thing missing is the double LtC Tac/Sci seating arrangement.

• Locked thread