Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Autonomous Monster posted:

No, you can absolutely use oils in combat. I've done it mid-swing before.

I don't think you're supposed to be able to. You can do it if you drag them to your sword with a mouse, but if you try to activate them from the inventory (as you'd need to do with a controller) then you get a message about not being able to do that in combat. Plus, it totally negates the purpose of the extra oil charge alchemy talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Are treasure hunt quests supposed to give experience? I finished the cat quest and didn't get any xp. Was curious if I'm affected by the bug or not. Was doing the Gwent quest and getting 25 xp here or there. I guess my main problem is being unsure when I should and shouldn't be getting xp.

I definitely didn't get any XP from doing the Cat School Gear quest yesterday. I vaguely remember getting XP from the Griffin School Gear quest, but I could be misremembering. Point is, I'm in the same boat as you in that I'm not sure if I'm affected by the XP bug or not.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Oh man the scene if you tell Yennefer you no longer love her is incredibly awkward.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Feenix posted:

Well, to be fair, I am adoring the game, my post that set this (age-old, I'm sure) debate alight again this afternoon was merely a statement of "AGGGHHH loving gently caress THIS JANKY COMBAT I KEEP DYING!"

Just a moment of frustration. I stand by my opinions of it being fundamentally bad (the movement/combat) but I am still quite enamored with the game at large.

The camera controls are indeed janky, but you can work around it by using lock-on a bit more. Especially against very mobile enemies. You have to lock on when you plan to move in a second and don't want to accidentally attack a different thing.

I don't understand how people are unhappy with movement within combat though, you can walk, dodge, run, and roll really easily with the controls. Roll is really useful for not getting surrounded. If you're getting surrounded, roll out.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I came across a guard in Novigrad that did the "Maybe, Maybe Not, Maybe gently caress You" line from The Departed :3:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't understand how people are unhappy with movement within combat though, you can walk, dodge, run, and roll really easily with the controls. Roll is really useful for not getting surrounded. If you're getting surrounded, roll out.

My gripe is the follow up swings with swords you end up going too far many times. Or just not enough. I was stuck in some bubble fight, and swear to god I wanted to murder whoever made these controls because if I did more than a single swing, the game would put me in a two long step animation, or a side step pierce and I would end up right outside the bubble. You had no real way of controlling what the game does with you. In that same sequence later on it kept rolling me into the bubble when I didn't want to be there and I was aiming at something entirely else. What should have been a cool sequences of battles was just frustration because the game just does what it does when fighting. Not what you want to do.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Philthy posted:

My gripe is the follow up swings with swords you end up going too far many times. Or just not enough. I was stuck in some bubble fight, and swear to god I wanted to murder whoever made these controls because if I did more than a single swing, the game would put me in a two long step animation, or a side step pierce and I would end up right outside the bubble. You had no real way of controlling what the game does with you. In that same sequence later on it kept rolling me into the bubble when I didn't want to be there and I was aiming at something entirely else. What should have been a cool sequences of battles was just frustration because the game just does what it does when fighting. Not what you want to do.

This.

When the games combat works it works really really well and you feel awesome. When it does, you feel like you're just pushing buttons and the game is doing what it feels like.
That and some sponge-y enemies does not make a pretty combination.

Overall the combat is amazing, but it could do with some tweaking.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The attack animations depend on how far you are from an enemy. Geralt will always try to select an animation that closes the distance and connects with the enemy. If you make a mistake, dodge will cancel out of any and all attack animations.

Not saying it's perfect, but understanding an imperfect system will help you get past being frustrated and get back to having fun.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Finished the game, huge ending spoilers ahead.

Got the Ciri stops the White Frost and comes back to train as a Witcher with Geralt ending. Temaria restored as a vassal state, Geralt retired happily with Yen, Emhyr thinks Ciri's dead and goes back to Nilfgaard, Ciri became a famous witcher, and Cerys led Skellige to prosperity. Normally I'd be a bit miffed with all of my choices turning out pretty positive, but to see a setting so filled with horrible things happening and being used to the bleakness of everything, having as close to an actual happy ending as I think I could get was incredibly satisfying. Game of the year by far and probably one of the best RPGs ever made.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
Real end game spoilers.

Did anyone else just stop and look around during the Conjunction of Spheres bit? Had to stop to look at the planet in the sky just wondering how terrifying that would be. They also didn't really say how hosed Undvik would be during the credits did they? Ice giants, forktails and arachas absolutely everywhere.

I really loved the sci-fi theme underlying the fantasy setting. I'd love to play a CDPR game set around or soon after the Conjunction of Spheres just for the whole clashing of worlds.

or I guess any CDPR game at this point honestly, they have probably ruined me for other RPGs

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ra-amun posted:

Real end game spoilers.

Did anyone else just stop and look around during the Conjunction of Spheres bit? Had to stop to look at the planet in the sky just wondering how terrifying that would be. They also didn't really say how hosed Undvik would be during the credits did they? Ice giants, forktails and arachas absolutely everywhere.

I really loved the sci-fi theme underlying the fantasy setting. I'd love to play a CDPR game set around or soon after the Conjunction of Spheres just for the whole clashing of worlds.

or I guess any CDPR game at this point honestly, they have probably ruined me for other RPGs

The whole spheres thing is such a great way to connect any game they make.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Is there a writeup of the XP bug? I didn't get any for finishing The Crones of Crookback Bog, but I'm level 13 and the quest was level 6, and I've heard XP for the story missions is dynamic.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Keira in the fight with the wild hunt soldier is worse than loving useless. Her attacks do no damage and just push him around when I'm trying to hit him and shove him against the walls where it's riskier to hit him.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

The camera controls are indeed janky, but you can work around it by using lock-on a bit more. Especially against very mobile enemies. You have to lock on when you plan to move in a second and don't want to accidentally attack a different thing.

The lock on tends to wander, which can get frustrating. I've definitely had some frustrating fights due to getting stuck on stuff/lock on woes/etc. Also random times where he puts his sword away??

That being said I find it pretty engaging when it's working right.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I made a save just before entering the point of no return where you go to the island to get Ciri. It warned me that some quests may become unavailable. Can anyone tell me what exactly I've been locked out of doing? So far every side-quest and witcher contract I had is still active, I just want to know if there's anything I'd be missing if I didn't revert to an older save.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

rabidsquid posted:

The crypt door opens up after that and you have to finish fighting [the wraith in White Orchard] in the crypt
This was a while ago, but I've killed it five times now, and it never dropped a single item.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Helith posted:

The fix for missing bomb recipes is to drop and destroy the base bombs that you have (just for the affected bomb, not all of them). The higher recipes then show up.
The catch is that you need to craft all the levels of the recipes at the same time because the recipes will disappear again if you craft the base and then leave the screen.
I think this bug just affects Moon Dust and Northern wind.
Good to know, thank you greatly for the reply! I may be screwed out of better Moon Dust as I am fairly certain I already bought enhanced Moon Dust somewhere else a long time ago, but I think I'll be okay.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Riding by Nilf guardsman. Dude farts and laughs at it...

They're just like us. Its almost like they're people.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Hommando posted:

I made a save just before entering the point of no return where you go to the island to get Ciri. It warned me that some quests may become unavailable. Can anyone tell me what exactly I've been locked out of doing? So far every side-quest and witcher contract I had is still active, I just want to know if there's anything I'd be missing if I didn't revert to an older save.

I believe it's relationship quests and "gather the allies" related quests

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I find the excessively epic and redundant quest completion sound effects really funny. Especially when it's just some quest where you talk to someone and they are just going off in succession.

(talk to the farmer)
talk to the farmer: objective updated *Hagh!!!!!*
talk to the farmer: quest complete *HAUGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!*
experience gained : 2 *whoosh*
crowns gained: 20

It triggers some primal part of me that always thinks I won a cool prize and nothing really happens.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Just finished. Clocked in at 93 hours and level 35.

Here's what I finished with (ending spoilers):

- Ciri a witcher
- Radovid dead (gently caress that guy - tried to kill me even before he realized I was trying to get him killed - don't feel the least bit upset at that prick's death), Temeria reborn
- Emhyr cleaning loving house at home
- Geralt alone on the path because he tried to play two sorceresses at the same time
- Cerys queen of a prosperous Skellige

Story wise I'm upset about a few things: First I am pissed that Iorveth and Saskia didn't have a place in this game and were casually thrown aside with a "Aeidirn was conquered" bit. Iorveth's path in W2 is entirely loving pointless. As amazing as this game is that irks the poo poo out of me. Second, the scene towards the end where it looks like Ciri - weak and struggling is about to get jumped by like three Wild Hunt guys and a long boat that is on fire ploughs into them was loving awesome. The threesome scene is amazing and although I am upset that I didn't do this right by my book (shoulda gone with Triss) it was worth it in the end.

Overall up there with my favorite games of all time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am really annoyed by the flavor UI noises in this game so that's one of the few times they're enjoyable for me too.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This game has more than a few Tarantino references in it. There was the Zed's Dead one and then in the baron's castle you overhear two guards in the basement, one asks to bring out the gimp and the other says the gimp is sleeping. One quest also has a Django Unchained reference.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Dapper Dan posted:

This game has more than a few Tarantino references in it. There was the Zed's Dead one and then in the baron's castle you overhear two guards in the basement, one asks to bring out the gimp and the other says the gimp is sleeping. One quest also has a Django Unchained reference.

The master swordsmith in the game is named Hattori and takes you upstairs to where he keeps his keepsakes of his former life.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Man, gwent is a huge pain in the rear end when your opponent plays 3 goddamn hero cards in a single round. Is there any real counter to this or just find more cards?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

BitterAvatar posted:

Man, gwent is a huge pain in the rear end when your opponent plays 3 goddamn hero cards in a single round. Is there any real counter to this or just find more cards?

Bait out hero cards and then use the decoys you should have in your deck to pull back all your cards.

Really - legendary cards aren't as good as they sound. What you should really fear is the guy with four spy cards and three decoys. Those matches can really suck.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I started playing gwent and it was funny to hear Zoltan poo poo talking my crappy card collection after I had just finished running up the score and crushed him 146-0 in the decisive round of our game.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I just want to say that they need to make a new game where all of the characters are trolls. The are the best characters.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I want an expansion or game where you play as Ciri. I really enjoy the teleport dodge/omni-slash she has. Also, she's very attractive and I wouldn't mind running around as her for hours, trying on all sorts of new outfits armors.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

El Jebus posted:

I just want to say that they need to make a new game where all of the characters are trolls. The are the best characters.

Somewhere there's a world of trolls and it'll be up to Thaler to give them the gift of human speech.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I'm supposed to kill this werewolf in a cave, but it's literally impossible. I'm on the second hardest difficulty, and once I get him to 1/3 health he starts regenerating faster than I can deal damage. It's not that the fight's too hard or anything, it's that even if I were to be swinging at him constantly without pause I still wouldn't be able to outdamage his health, and as it is I need to dodge as well. I've tried every sign, none of them are enough to kill the loving thing. Am I just too low levelled or what? I'm level 4.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

slev posted:

Oh man the scene if you tell Yennefer you no longer love her is incredibly awkward.

Yup, literally just did this. Honestly I feel bad about hitting her with that right after she said she still loved geralt but frankly I don't see her appeal. She's kind of a poo poo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I'm supposed to kill this werewolf in a cave, but it's literally impossible. I'm on the second hardest difficulty, and once I get him to 1/3 health he starts regenerating faster than I can deal damage. It's not that the fight's too hard or anything, it's that even if I were to be swinging at him constantly without pause I still wouldn't be able to outdamage his health, and as it is I need to dodge as well. I've tried every sign, none of them are enough to kill the loving thing. Am I just too low levelled or what? I'm level 4.

There's no trick to other than making sure you're using thunderbolt and some oil if you've got it. If not I guess you could either waste a bunch of time leveling up and buying more equipment or just turn down the difficulty for the fight. We won't tell anyone.

Xenoith
Aug 30, 2011

by Ralp

Ice Fist posted:

The master swordsmith in the game is named Hattori and takes you upstairs to where he keeps his keepsakes of his former life.

He also says he'll craft you a blade to slay God himself or something, Hattori in the movie had some similar line.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

PantsBandit posted:

There's no trick to other than making sure you're using thunderbolt and some oil if you've got it. If not I guess you could either waste a bunch of time leveling up and buying more equipment or just turn down the difficulty for the fight. We won't tell anyone.
Welp, it's pretty disappointing that there are points in the game which are straight up gear checks that you can't do if your gear and level isn't good enough. I mean, I've done every side mission up until this point so it's not like I've been skipping a load of content, and yet when I try to do this mission as soon as I find it, it isn't possible :(

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Yup, literally just did this. Honestly I feel bad about hitting her with that right after she said she still loved geralt but frankly I don't see her appeal. She's kind of a poo poo.

Necromancy. Not even once.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

skooma512 posted:

Keira in the fight with the wild hunt soldier is worse than loving useless. Her attacks do no damage and just push him around when I'm trying to hit him and shove him against the walls where it's riskier to hit him.

Haha, yeah. She was a complete liability when I did that fight - kept breaking my crowd control as I wound up an attack, getting me axed in the face as a result.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Cheston posted:

Is there a writeup of the XP bug? I didn't get any for finishing The Crones of Crookback Bog, but I'm level 13 and the quest was level 6, and I've heard XP for the story missions is dynamic.

There doesn't seem to a full explanation of the bug. It doesn't affect everyone and it doesn't affect all quests, even for the people it does hit. I've started getting xp from quests again after not getting it for a long time. The developer who wrote about it in the CD Projekt Red forums said that it isn't actually that big a deal, you won't miss out on any content because it will, at worst, only screw you out of a certain specific amount of XP, not enough to prevent you from reaching high levels by the end of the game. I think in your case, you wouldn't get XP anyway from that quest because you outlevel it by more than 6 six levels, so the intended design is that you don't receive experience. Apparently they're working on a way to retroactively give the XP people have missed, but it's not a guarantee. All in all, the bug sounds a lot worse than it is. I was worried I would miss out on getting to try the high level equipment and abilities, but it seems like it should be fine.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Welp, it's pretty disappointing that there are points in the game which are straight up gear checks that you can't do if your gear and level isn't good enough. I mean, I've done every side mission up until this point so it's not like I've been skipping a load of content, and yet when I try to do this mission as soon as I find it, it isn't possible :(

Moon Dust prevents the healing if i remember correctly, I believe demetrium bomb or whatever would also work. Fire also tends to negate the healing factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AndrewP posted:

The lock on tends to wander, which can get frustrating. I've definitely had some frustrating fights due to getting stuck on stuff/lock on woes/etc. Also random times where he puts his sword away??

That being said I find it pretty engaging when it's working right.

I mean use the hard lock-on, tap right stick on a controller or Z on keyboard. The soft lock wandering is why you sometimes need to use lock-on against groups.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 30, 2015