Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Epic High Five posted:

Protesters in support of Kim Davis had to be bussed in from like a dozen states but that's different, obviously
My personal favorite was the infamous 'Brooks Brothers Protest' from shortly after the 2000 election when the GOP bused people from out of state down to Miami-Dade County to 'protest' the recounting of ballots in that election there in FL. As it turned out later all of these people were GOP staffers.

I totally forgot but Trump's buddy Roger Stone was one of the main people involved in this protest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Brothers_riot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Remember how during 2009/10 the Koch bros would bus in teabaggers?

Except they were a bunch of old people that would only go during fair weather during the "fair" months/seasons and also only during the hours of 10 AM to 1045AM because they had to go back home to the local diner's early bird special.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Hell, when I've marched in pro-choice protests, the anti-choice counter protestors would usually be bussed in from some out of state summer camp.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Does gab.ai count as right wing media?

This site is where all the alt right retreated to after the Twitter bans, it's pretty horrible.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 21, 2016

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

This site is where all the alt right retreated to after the Twitter bans, it's pretty horrible.
Pretty sure they are still on twitter and didn't retreat anywhere.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A few of those alt-right people like Ricky Vaughn just started a new account.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

theres no such thing as the Alt-Right

gbs told me so :v:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Race Realists posted:

theres no such thing as the Alt-Right

gbs told me so :v:
It's fairly interesting when people are named as part of a group and half go "What? No, I'm not that. There is no such group, jeez." and the other half goes "YES! THAT'S US! WE ARE THAT THING, WOO!"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So who was that rear end in a top hat filling in for Glenn Beck today? I didn't get to hear much but he was complaining that the left are acting like spoiled children and was upset that comedians won't do their job because they're too sad about Trump being elected.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Can we rename the GOP to the Projection Party?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Forgall posted:

Pretty sure they are still on twitter and didn't retreat anywhere.

Some of them are still on twitter but a lot of them are retreating into an echo chamber site where they can be even more racist and not get banned.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I love how all the pundits (Volokh, Friedersdorf, Chait, etc) who were "safe spaces on campus are the biggest threat to free speech" proponents have essentially said nothing about freedom of speech under Trump. Granted, they will criticize Trump for some stuff, but you'd think that after years of making students complaining about harassment the biggest villains with regards to free speech they'd have a line or two to say about the president elect shutting out his press pool, going after snl and hamilton, etc.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They're white dudes, Trump is just saying what everyone is thinking.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I have a libertarian friend who fits Altemeyer's profile of an authoritarian follower to a T. Like many other millennials who got screwed during the recession, he's been underemployed his entire life and pins most of the blame for his woes on taxes/the government/statists. He does not believe any news source that doesn't get linked on Drudge and does not believe any facts that are sourced from a state or federal agency.

Because he has underdeveloped social skills from spending most of his life as a goony shut-in I don't take his awful political views as evidence that he's irredeemable. I've heard him spouting dogwhistle poo poo before, but when I've asked him to clarify his point, it becomes clear that he didn't even realize the dogwhistle was there. When I explain to him stuff like how saying "all lives matter," while in a vacuum is a harmless statement, in fact signals alignment with white nationalism, he grumbles that people should just say what they mean but he'll drop the phrase.

Recently he made an ironic anti-semitic joke and I immediately told him that wasn't funny. He looked like he was slapped but he didn't argue. This is Texas, we don't even know any Jewish people. We don't have any friends who tell jokes like this. He must have picked it up from the talk radio he listens to or the news he reads. More evidence that this poo poo is getting normalized on the right.

The other day he used the phrase "locker room talk" to describe razzing friends while playing video games. He doesn't play sports ever and will go on about how he was bullied in gym class in high school if you let him. This phrase is NOT natural to his diction. I gave him a hard look and then told him that if he heard someone bragging about sexual assault he should tell them that that isn't funny. Once again he looked stunned at my reaction. I told him he chose to use some extremely loaded words and as he started to stammer about how he didn't mean anything by it I couldn't think of anything else to say so I suddenly found my fingernails very interesting. My takeaway from that though was there must be some sort of uptick in usage of the phrase "locker room talk" on the right to delegitimize concerns over the fact that the president-elect was :catstare: bragging about sexually assaulting people :catstare:

How can I get this guy to stop listening to this hateful garbage? He doesn't want to be racist or sexist and is capable of changing his behavior when called out so there's gotta be hope, right?

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 21, 2016

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
If you figure out how to reform people swallowing that garbage let me know because my brother in law sent me a fresh new Alex Jones sandy hook video and I have no idea how to respond without destroying the relationship.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Comrayn posted:

If you figure out how to reform people swallowing that garbage let me know because my brother in law sent me a fresh new Alex Jones sandy hook video and I have no idea how to respond without destroying the relationship.

Cripes, even my friend will be the first to say Alex Jones is a crank. I don't even know.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 21, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Start watching football and tell him to listen to sports talk radio instead.

I'm not kidding, this is how I became a "liberal".

Romney lost in 2012 and I was pretty stunned by it. I stopped talking about politics and started listening to local sports talk in the car. I kept interacting with the same conservative people and the more poo poo they said, the uglier it sounded and eventually I realized how repugnant that entire industry was.

I also had a good friend who I've known since High School who was liberal. We've always been respectful about politics to each other and chose to change subjects that would rile us up. But we still fought a little and without the constant reinforcement of right wing media, I was more able to arrive at my own conclusions based on the evidence in front of me.

Now I loving recoil from right wing idiots, because their game is obvious as gently caress once you've broken away from it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Xibanya posted:

The other day he used the phrase "locker room talk" to describe razzing friends while playing video games. He doesn't play sports ever and will go on about how he was bullied in gym class in high school if you let him. This phrase is NOT natural to his diction...

My takeaway from that though was there must be some sort of uptick in usage of the phrase "locker room talk" on the right to delegitimize concerns over the fact that the president-elect was :catstare: bragging about sexually assaulting people :catstare: .

This is a perfect example of how this stuff permeates discourse. My (ex) in laws were famous for being conservative republicans, repeating talking points and being woefully uninformed without even realizing it. They just repeat what they hear and what they hear is carefully selected, tailored to their worldview and incredibly streamlined.

My ex got in a fight with them over the pussy grabbing comment and "locker room talk" was the canned defense. A few years back, when Warren Buffet was talking about how unfair the tax structure was, my father in law said something like "Warren Buffet can voluntarily pay more taxes if he feels so bad about it." It was lifted straight from Pat Buchannan and paraphrased.

They have a 5 year old grandson. I wonder if they'd want him to talk like that one day. I hate that conservative ideology actively discourages critical thinking. It's the main thing I hate about it, followed by "everything must stay the same!"

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Prester Jane posted:

So on the topic of the Trump administration's plans for the future of education in America I have some interesting scuttlebutt to share. I recently checked in on some of the behind the scenes activity happening in Accelerated Christian Education and gleaned a few interesting tidbits. Mind you, I can't verify any of this, so take it with a grain of salt. That said, here are the highlights.

• A.C.E. is currently working hard behind the scenes to get their graduates installed into Trump's administration, primarily targeting education related areas. They are not aiming for department heads but rather are billing their graduates as the perfect intern/clerk. Their general thinking seems to be that they will best be able to sway policy for now by making sure their people work intimately with the decision makers rather than being the decision makers themselves.

• A.C.E. is gearing up for a massive expansion over the next four years. From what I gathered they expect Trump to dramatically increase Charter schools in conjunction with passing robust religious liberty laws that will permit A.C.E. to set up taxpayer funded charter schools all over the US.

• A.C.E. expects that the round of religious liberty laws to be passed by the Trump Presidency will basically turn the phrase "sincerely held belief" into magic words that repel all forms of state oversight. Also expected in these religious liberty laws will be protections for corporal punishment in education, protections for what amounts to mandatory prayer in public schools, and protections for students/teachers who harass LGBT youth. (This will include the ability for educators to refuse certain services to LGBT students, student organizations to exclude LGBT youth in their charter, as well as the ability for states to enact mandatory reporting to parents if the student outs themselves as LGBT to school staff.)

• One of their long term goals at present is to market A.C.E. as a system that can transform "wayward youth" into productive citizens. The general idea seems to be to set up taxpayer funded youth homes for children in crises (orphaned/homeless/abandoned) that are based entirely around A.C.E. More than that though they anticipate some of these homes as being transformation centers for LGBT children that have either been booted out of public/charter schools for "behavioral problems" or dropped off by their loving Christian parents.

The net effect of all this is it will make it possible for a school to harass an LGBT student until they drop out, at which point they can be sent by their parents (or in blood red states ordered by local courts) to attend one of these transformation centers. So if you are wondering what the plan to put LGBT youth into camps looks like, whelp.

Prester, I know you are currently in a tough situation and probably want to disengage - I know I do - but I sure hope you're shouting this from the rooftops or getting it to people who can. This is important stuff that people need to know about.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Huzanko posted:

Prester, I know you are currently in a tough situation and probably want to disengage - I know I do - but I sure hope you're shouting this from the rooftops or getting it to people who can. This is important stuff that people need to know about.

I have been firing off emails to reporters and news agencies, but to no avail so far. Sadly understanding what A.C.E. is and why it is so horrifying requires quite an investment in time. I also have no credentials whatsoever and to even begin explaining why I know what I know is a path that makes it very easy ti dismiss me as a nut, the details of my I have not yet found a way to explain "I am a self aware schizophrenic transwoman raised in a network of cults designed to brainwash children into becoming office drones for the GOP" in a credible way*, but I am definitely trying.

*(Note, I am talking about the few occasions where I have gotten someone to listen to me, I don't start off talking about the details of my past. But the few times I have gotten someone to give me five minutes of their time I have found that I need an hour top even lay the groundwork to explain myself and if I try to take any shortcuts I sound like a loon and the conversation ends shortly thereafter. I'm still trying though.)

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Prester Jane posted:

I have been firing off emails to reporters and news agencies, but to no avail so far. Sadly understanding what A.C.E. is and why it is so horrifying requires quite an investment in time. I also have no credentials whatsoever and to even begin explaining why I know what I know is a path that makes it very easy ti dismiss me as a nut, the details of my I have not yet found a way to explain "I am a self aware schizophrenic transwoman raised in a network of cults designed to brainwash children into becoming office drones for the GOP" in a credible way*, but I am definitely trying.

*(Note, I am talking about the few occasions where I have gotten someone to listen to me, I don't start off talking about the details of my past. But the few times I have gotten someone to give me five minutes of their time I have found that I need an hour top even lay the groundwork to explain myself and if I try to take any shortcuts I sound like a loon and the conversation ends shortly thereafter. I'm still trying though.)

Cracked.com frequently does articles like this about people who have unusual life stories and The Young Turks would likely be pretty interested in ACE. Not exactly mainstream news sources, but they'd probably be sympathetic. At the end of that cracked article they have an email to contact; I'm not sure what the best way to get in touch with TYT would be, maybe just send a message over twitter to Cenk Uygur or Jordan Chariton. I feel for you and I hope this is helpful.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Cracked.com frequently does articles like this about people who have unusual life stories and The Young Turks would likely be pretty interested in ACE. Not exactly mainstream news sources, but they'd probably be sympathetic. At the end of that cracked article they have an email to contact; I'm not sure what the best way to get in touch with TYT would be, maybe just send a message over twitter to Cenk Uygur or Jordan Chariton. I feel for you and I hope this is helpful.

Vice should be an easy one. PM me if you need an in.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Prester Jane posted:

I bet Chapo Trap House would love to talk to you.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

Maybe Patheos, among other people's suggestions. They talk about ACE a lot, and that seems like just up their alley.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Prester Jane posted:

Get in touch with Bob or Brooke over at On The Media, their format would lend itself to your topic. Maybe Dave Fahrenthold at the Washington Post, he's been doing some deep dives on Trump the past year.

Republicans posted:

I bet Chapo Trap House would love to talk to you.

Also this, your story is perfect for Chapo.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Know who we haven't heard from in a while? Scott Adams. No, I'm not going to post his blogs regularly again, I already said I wouldn't, but I'm keeping up with him and he said something incredible I believe needs to be shared.

quote:

The biggest demographic group opposing Trump – including the ones on the street – are young people. Objectively speaking, young people are the dumbest people within every demographic group. I was dumber when I was younger. So were you. So is everyone else. Ask yourself if it is a coincidence that the dumbest people within every demographic group lean in the same direction.

Other than that, his blog posts have been a bunch of "So you think Trump is racist/bigoted huh? Then what about this picture of him with Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson? Checkmate, liberals."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only hope I have is that the Alt Right come out in full force, and everyone else is so loving disgusted and disdainful of them, they're forced to go back into hiding. There's been way to much stuff lately that shows that their ugly and hateful ways are becoming normalized. loving CNN going "Should be call out Trump's transition team for questioning if Jews are people?".

But we can't call Trump supporters hateful bigots, becuase that might offend them. And I said supporters, not voters.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Twelve by Pies posted:

Know who we haven't heard from in a while? Scott Adams. No, I'm not going to post his blogs regularly again, I already said I wouldn't, but I'm keeping up with him and he said something incredible I believe needs to be shared.

Other than that, his blog posts have been a bunch of "So you think Trump is racist/bigoted huh? Then what about this picture of him with Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson? Checkmate, liberals."

To be fair to him I -was- an idiot when I was younger.

... I was more conservative then.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

The only hope I have is that the Alt Right come out in full force, and everyone else is so loving disgusted and disdainful of them, they're forced to go back into hiding.

The first is happening, the second isn't.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Motto posted:

The first is happening, the second isn't.

I'll accept them having rocks thrown at them when they appear on the street.

Like seriously, what happened? Why are people so accepting of this kind of poo poo? Why is it becoming mainstream? I though in the 90s poo poo was getting better, people were starting to be less racist and homophobic and generally less lovely, but then as the century turned, it seemed the course we were on was not just changed, but stopped and burned down. Was 9/11 such an event that changed everything forever? Did lovely white people realize their power was slipping and demand it back in the strongest way? Was I just naiive thinking that things were actually getting better?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

twistedmentat posted:

Like seriously, what happened? Why are people so accepting of this kind of poo poo? Why is it becoming mainstream? I though in the 90s poo poo was getting better, people were starting to be less racist and homophobic and generally less lovely, but then as the century turned, it seemed the course we were on was not just changed, but stopped and burned down. Was 9/11 such an event that changed everything forever? Did lovely white people realize their power was slipping and demand it back in the strongest way? Was I just naiive thinking that things were actually getting better?

My hope is that this is the last flare up before the fire dies out completely. There is some research supporting the idea that when hate groups are dying out, they become more aggressive to try to keep themselves relevant.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

twistedmentat posted:

Racism didn't get any more or less prevalent, I don't think. The racists just feel more comfortable showing their racism now.

As a corollary, one thing to keep in mind is that the people in this country who are against racism (and sexism, and homophobia, and transphobia, etc) didn't just up and vanish because Trump won. We're still here too. Demoralized, but still here. I don't know how much power we're going to have in the coming years, but we didn't disappear.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Racism didn't get any more or less prevalent, I don't think. The racists just feel more comfortable showing their racism now.

As a corollary, one thing to keep in mind is that the people in this country who are against racism (and sexism, and homophobia, and transphobia, etc) didn't just up and vanish because Trump won. We're still here too. Demoralized, but still here. I don't know how much power we're going to have in the coming years, but we didn't disappear.

I guess so. Maybe they felt back in the 90s that this was just some fad with the kids, that when they got older they'd realize that the closest and ghettos is where those types belong.

I really hope that the people who are not going to stand for this poo poo don't quite down, that every mealy mouthed lefty that says "no, don't call them that, its mean" is made to realize that they're enabling these hateful fucks, or even worse, the ones that say "this is just a few people, don't worry about it". That gets me more than anything.

Oops, I thought I posted this in the us pol thread.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
A "black" man, in the "white" house.

There's your answer, fish-bulb.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

twistedmentat posted:

The only hope I have is that the Alt Right come out in full force, and everyone else is so loving disgusted and disdainful of them, they're forced to go back into hiding. There's been way to much stuff lately that shows that their ugly and hateful ways are becoming normalized. loving CNN going "Should be call out Trump's transition team for questioning if Jews are people?".

But we can't call Trump supporters hateful bigots, becuase that might offend them. And I said supporters, not voters.

You know, I thought you were joking, so I went and found the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz7A_hbDvjI

What the gently caress.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey, remember a few weeks ago when Don Lemon was all serious for all of two seconds? I, too, am going to look fondly back at that time.

Also, way to go CNN! I can still say with confidence that CNN is actively worse than Fox News.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
When people say Obama has destroyed race relations, what do they even mean? In my head I feel like it's code for "black people got uppity."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You know that Kelly cartoon? It's like that, but in earnest.

It's the same idiots who will yell about how divisive Obama is and then claim that "there's a certain darkness about him" in the same breath.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aeka 2.0 posted:

When people say Obama has destroyed race relations, what do they even mean? In my head I feel like it's code for "black people got uppity."

they couldn't ignore america's bad race relations anymore and like infants who lack object permanence, something didn't exist until the moment they became aware of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

50% of the time you can translate it as "he made it so I can't express my racist thoughts."

The other 50% of the time you can translate it as "my entire independent intellectual capacity has been siphoned off by the right wing media and I am now a puppet, please kill me."