Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Prime Timeline Trek had New Zealand be the target of the Xindi attack :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

Section 31 wanted a cloaking device :v:

gently caress, there's a novel that reveals that to be the reason! And it ties into the Omega molecule because of course it does!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
New Zealand saw the bullshit coming with WW3 and just noped the entire island into deep space in search of a better planet.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Watching the TNG episode 'Dark Page'. It's kind of a snoozer, too bad.

It has Kirsten Dunst, she plays a child.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

New Zealand saw the bullshit coming with WW3 and just noped the entire island into deep space in search of a better planet.
Tom Paris suddenly realises he's stuck in shark-filled ocean hundreds of miles from shore, and almost the entirety of Voyager is his dying hallucinations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Marshal Radisic posted:

gently caress, there's a novel that reveals that to be the reason! And it ties into the Omega molecule because of course it does!

Which is exactly why I said that

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

John F Bennett posted:

It's alright. I like Lwaxana AND spooky stuff.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

8one6 posted:

A couple of years ago someone edited the picture of Spock's family from Yesteryear to add Sybok and Michael, and then someone else added Spocko but I can't find the later one anymore.

Leaving out Giant Spock? For shame.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Maybe the next show should just be a spinoff full house/step by step/brady bunch/family matters/etc etc family sitcom about the spock family and the 50 spock kids.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Too Many Spocks!

(Too many Spocks!)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Please Step On Me, Giant Spock

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HD DAD posted:

Please Step On Me, Giant Spock

Which 70s zine does this story appear in?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
It does appear to give anything legitmacy you basically put spocks dad having hosed its mom. So I eagerly await our horta spock brother, our TACOMP spock brother, and of course our catgirl spock brother.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'll say this about Omega Glory: I think presenting the other captain as a 'dark' version of Kirk who ignores his oath and causes a Prime Directive dilemma is pretty well done. But "Yangs" and "Coms" and Shatner yell-quoting the constitution is awful and ridiculous. That sort of flag-waving in Star Trek doesn't sit well with me and makes me really uncomfortable.

Geez, it's like a mid century American tv show written by a WWII vet or something!

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'll say this about Omega Glory: I think presenting the other captain as a 'dark' version of Kirk who ignores his oath and causes a Prime Directive dilemma is pretty well done. But "Yangs" and "Coms" and Shatner yell-quoting the constitution is awful and ridiculous. That sort of flag-waving in Star Trek doesn't sit well with me and makes me really uncomfortable.

Yeah but that part gave us one of the best ytmnds so you win some, you lose some https://wethepeople.ytmnd.com

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Marshal Radisic posted:

it hurts to think that this got published because people eat this poo poo up

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

jeeves posted:

I honestly think that writing is the most expensive/important thing for current media that producers just belittle or under pay.

Writing a single story and then milking it for an entire season while also 'breaking (padding) it out' into small sub-stories/"CHAPTERS!" is cheaper than writing 12 good stories.

They all think they're writing the next Breaking Bad but instead they're no better than soap opera writers.

It's true

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Yeah that's a bad one

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Were there any good Star Trek tie in novels? All I can think of is that one book with the TOS crew reminiscing about their experiences with the Kobayashi Maru.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

HIJK posted:

Were there any good Star Trek tie in novels? All I can think of is that one book with the TOS crew reminiscing about their experiences with the Kobayashi Maru.

The one where Picard fucks Storm from the X-Men

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
nice

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
8 episodes in on S7 of DS9. It's gotten a lot weirder and in my opinion, better. Looks like it will finish strong.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

HIJK posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Stitch-Time-Star-Trek-Space/dp/0671038850

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Quote is not Edit: Every once in a while I think about getting a physical copy but the cheapest one on Amazon is $90.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I enjoyed the Captain's Table books. Captains go to a special captains-only magical transuniversal bar and tell tall tales of their journeys? Yes please!

My favorite thing were the seafaring captains who nodded along, politely supportive yet baffled, as the starship captains went on about Vulcans and Romulans and Kazon and poo poo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

8one6 posted:

Quote is not Edit: Every once in a while I think about getting a physical copy but the cheapest one on Amazon is $90.

I don't remember which thread it was but a fine goon actually mailed me their copy of this a while back, I was absolutely floored by the generosity

Fwiw my wife re-reads it once every few months, so it must be pretty great

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just watched "Ensign Ro" and it's always funny seeing the proto-DS9 stuff that's slightly off. Brown mutton-chop cardassians, the weird trills that can just use human bodies like it ain't no thing. In this episode they constantly refer to "the Bajora" and it's weird.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HIJK posted:

Most of what I remember as “good” probably falls squarely into the “…for a trek novel” category but with that said:

TOS:
Prime Directive
How Much For Just The Planet is a surprisingly decent comedy TOS story.
Final Frontier/Best Destiny tell a quasi-connected story about what the Enterprise did before even Pike got her.
The New Earth series actually does the “wagon train to the stars” thing - also the actual title of the first book - with a giant convoy of ships heading out to establish a new colony and what happens after they get there.

TNG/DS9
I don’t actually remember a lot of these but,

Vendetta thinks up a decent backstory for the doomsday machine.
The Millennium series for DS9 is an “altered timeline” story that of course resets at the end but does some good stuff before the inevitable.
People already mentioned A Stitch in Time.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
My fav part of Ensign Ro is when she corrects Picard on her name and he apologizes and doesn't make that mistake again. He even gets diplomatic brownie points with another Bajoran for using their name correctly!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Minidust posted:

Just watched "Ensign Ro" and it's always funny seeing the proto-DS9 stuff that's slightly off. Brown mutton-chop cardassians, the weird trills that can just use human bodies like it ain't no thing. In this episode they constantly refer to "the Bajora" and it's weird.

I just came up with new headcanon that they adjusted the Universal Translator from "Bajora" to "Bajorans" after more cultural information started to leak out from under the Obsidian Veil

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

John F Bennett posted:

TNG Season 7 did way too many episodes revealing dark/secret/tragic things about [main character]'s past and/or family.

Looking over the episode list, I see Interface, Dark Page, Inheritance, The Pegasus, Homeward, Sub Rosa, Eye of the Beholder*, Firstborn, Bloodlines... enough already!

* The Enterprise is a main character, fight me

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

I enjoyed the Captain's Table books. Captains go to a special captains-only magical transuniversal bar and tell tall tales of their journeys? Yes please!

My favorite thing were the seafaring captains who nodded along, politely supportive yet baffled, as the starship captains went on about Vulcans and Romulans and Kazon and poo poo

Everyone sighs and gets ready for a headache when the mind whale captains phase in and start thoughtcasting about their latest adventures in the Freudian Abyss of the Negaconscious ¡QQᴞ#🧚‍♀️ Driftway.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

TNG Season 7 did way too many episodes revealing dark/secret/tragic things about [main character]'s past and/or family.

Looking over the episode list, I see Interface, Dark Page, Inheritance, The Pegasus, Homeward, Sub Rosa, Eye of the Beholder*, Firstborn, Bloodlines... enough already!

* The Enterprise is a main character, fight me

Is it really Trek if you don't know that Ensign Nohbadie had to kill grown men just to get enough space rats to eat when they were a kid?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Everyone sighs and gets ready for a headache when the mind whale captains phase in and start thoughtcasting about their latest adventures in the Freudian Abyss of the Negaconscious ¡QQᴞ#🧚‍♀️ Driftway.

HHHYYOOO SEE I AM NOT ACTUALLY A "CAPTAIN" AS SUCH WWHHEEEE HAVE A VERY ADVANCED COMMAND STRUCTURE CALLED A METAPOD

HHHHHMMMMM BUT IF IT HHEELPS YOU TO THINK OF ME AS A CAPTAIN, IT APPROXIMATES MY RANK

THOUGH I STILL AM FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN HYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Some of Diane Duane's books are good. One of her TOS novels got turned into the TNG episode "Where No One Has Gone Before", she wrote a pretty good TNG mirror universe book called Dark Mirror, and her "Spock's World" and "Rihannsu" novels did a lot to flesh out the Vulcans and Romulans.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Epicurius posted:

Some of Diane Duane's books are good. One of her TOS novels got turned into the TNG episode "Where No One Has Gone Before", she wrote a pretty good TNG mirror universe book called Dark Mirror, and her "Spock's World" and "Rihannsu" novels did a lot to flesh out the Vulcans and Romulans.

I've only read "Spock's World" of those, but I liked it. I've been meaning to get to the Rihannsu books since I've always heard good things about them.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Epicurius posted:

That's because Diane Duane loving owns, I need to read her trek novels now.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Epicurius posted:

Dark Mirror was really fun and I was disappointed when the DS9 Mirror Universe stuff effectively retconned it.

Troi as some telepathic Stasi agent stomping around the mirror Enterprise bringing people in for thoughtcrimes was some cool poo poo.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Shyrka posted:

Dark Mirror was really fun and I was disappointed when the DS9 Mirror Universe stuff effectively retconned it.

Troi as some telepathic Stasi agent stomping around the mirror Enterprise bringing people in for thoughtcrimes was some cool poo poo.
Another small moment that always stuck with me from Dark Mirror was when Picard started reading through the classic literature of the Mirror Universe Earth. The early writings like the Iliad were mostly the same with a single more brutal or sadistic twist and then the changes got gradually worse as it got closer to the present day and those initial small divergences piled up over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I read the 80s novels but gave up after awhile--the non canon nature made them glorified fanfiction. But the more recent Vanguard novels were cool--a series about a TOS era Starbase near uncharted/contested space, a bit like DS9 but with a TOS aesthetic. There was a whole series with a storyline and characters with arcs and development. This what I'd like to see more of in Star Trek and other franchise tie-in fiction: original content exploring other facets of the universe and using the setting as a springboard instead of just fanwank doomed to be decanonized by a throwaway line in the live action.