Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Section 31 is funded by The Illusive Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kurzon posted:

Section 31 is so secretive, it doesn't want people to know it even exists. That must put a lot of constraints on what it can do. It should affect how it can acquire funding, what assets it can use, what actions it can take, what authority it can assert. The existence of the Tal'Shiar and Obsidian Order are open knowledge, which means they can operate starships and they can assert their authority over people.

The last time S31 tried being out in the open it caused Disco S2.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Technowolf posted:

The last time S31 tried being out in the open it caused Disco S2.

This is one event the timeships are all scrambling to prevent. Eventually they just let Discovery shunt itself into the future so the mess was easier to reach

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Enterprise suffers from the temporal cold war stuff and not really embracing the past. That's why season 4 I think works really well. What brought the Federation together, how did these species find common ground? Instead it went off on this whole thing about races we never heard of and messing up the Klingon First Contact story. For a show that was a prequel it was so hesitant to embrace the past and look for the stories there.

And they wasted Scott Bakula which should put people in TV prison forever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean, remember that for the first couple of seasons the show was just called ‘Enterprise’

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
No one remembers the first few seasons of enterprise they are so unengaging they remember season 3 and like 4 episodes from it and maybe season four for like 4 episodes total

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Axe-man posted:

No one remembers the first few seasons of enterprise they are so unengaging they remember season 3 and like 4 episodes from it and maybe season four for like 4 episodes total
I mean that’s perfectly fair

It’s very forgettable outside of a handful of episodes, most of them involving the Andorians.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

Enterprise suffers from the temporal cold war stuff and not really embracing the past. That's why season 4 I think works really well. What brought the Federation together, how did these species find common ground? Instead it went off on this whole thing about races we never heard of and messing up the Klingon First Contact story. For a show that was a prequel it was so hesitant to embrace the past and look for the stories there.

And they wasted Scott Bakula which should put people in TV prison forever.

Enterprise spits on it's starting premise even faster and in more insulting fashion than Voyager did, which is an achievement in itself given how uninterested in it's core concept Voyager was

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Profit & Lace was pretty bad

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Imagine if they went with their idea for the first season of Enterprise where they don't launch the ship until the season finale.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I accept the final episode as real and canon if only because it allows them to do it again and reveal all of Disco was a holodeck simulation

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Frakes faces the camera: "It's fantasy. All of it. Everything you've seen has been a fabrication. The holodeck? We made it up. A flight of fancy. Figments of the imagination."

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I also accept it as Riker messing up the simulation by trying to sequence break it or Barclay adding the kidnapping subplot to liven the program up.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

Frakes faces the camera: "It's fantasy. All of it. Everything you've seen has been a fabrication. The holodeck? We made it up. A flight of fancy. Figments of the imagination."

Or do like they did in the last episode of Moonlighting, where the characters arrive to find the main set being dismantled because the show is cancelled.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I like Enterprise but there's some S1 episode with the most hilariously uneventful cold-open in franchise history. Can't recall the episode offhand (common ENT problem I guess! :haw:) but it legit came off as a TNG Edit gag.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
"Michael had almost figured out she was in a simulation we thought, but then we started just rewarding every idiotic action she made, and she convinced herself. And now, she can exist where she belongs.... on picard's desk next to moriarty."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Minidust posted:

I like Enterprise but there's some S1 episode with the most hilariously uneventful cold-open in franchise history. Can't recall the episode offhand (common ENT problem I guess! :haw:) but it legit came off as a TNG Edit gag.

I don’t know if you’re referring to this one, but there’s an Enterprise episode that opens with T’Pol just sitting in her quarters, and then gets called to the bridge.

That’s it. Cue Faith of the Heart.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I thought it was Mayweather reading a book. Maybe it was both.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I also accept it as Riker messing up the simulation by trying to sequence break it or Barclay adding the kidnapping subplot to liven the program up.

Maybe everything in the holoprogram was 100% accurate except Barclay reprogrammed it to kill Trip so he could get with T'pol

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

I thought it was Mayweather reading a book. Maybe it was both.

Was it a page of Harry Potter he was reading?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I accept the final episode as real and canon if only because it allows them to do it again and reveal all of Disco was a holodeck simulation

It's clearly not canon as the holodeck gives riker his clothes instead of him having to wear them into the holodeck

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I've always figured that so much crazy poo poo happened to the NX-01 both temporal and political that its logs were never fully declassified, so the holodeck was either showing a weird hatchet job someone at Starfleet wrote centuries ago or was forced to extrapolate from surviving/unredacted records with a wild margin of error.

Basically, don't trust the holodeck, and also Starfleet has on occasion quietly buried chunks of its history even without Section 31, so maybe don't trust their official accounts either :tinfoil:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Delsaber posted:

I've always figured that so much crazy poo poo happened to the NX-01 both temporal and political that its logs were never fully declassified, so the holodeck was either showing a weird hatchet job someone at Starfleet wrote centuries ago or was forced to extrapolate from surviving/unredacted records with a wild margin of error.

Basically, don't trust the holodeck, and also Starfleet has on occasion quietly buried chunks of its history even without Section 31, so maybe don't trust their official accounts either :tinfoil:

Computer play Birth of the Federation: Tales from the NX-01 by President Archer

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mooseontheloose posted:

Computer play Birth of the Federation

Better hope the Enterprise doesn’t run Windows 10

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

skasion posted:

Enterpise computers clearly all run XP ver 4000.1.16.2005

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

Enterpise computers clearly all run XP ver 4000.1.16.2005

Hopefully that's a 64-bit version

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

skasion posted:

Quick, have the Bynars make a TPM for it so they can upgrade to Windows 11.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Terror Sweat posted:

It's clearly not canon as the holodeck gives riker his clothes instead of him having to wear them into the holodeck

They're holographic clothes. Riker walked into the holodeck naked. He does that a lot.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Voyager Conspiracy is a fun episode, but there's something that always bothered me.

WHERE DID THAT TRACTOR BEAM COME FROM

I mean... No one ever tries to debunk that one. There's a cloaked ship using a tractor beam at the array and everyone just sort of ignored it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Section 31 is funded by The Illusive Man

I mean, Q was rocking some pretty TIM-looking threads in the latest trailer for Picard...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

In the episode Identity Crisis, I wonder if they ever scanned Riker and Worf (and hell, maybe even Data) for the same parasite thing. I mean, they've been to the planet now too, which is all it took for Geordi and the others to get it five years ago.

In five years, are THEY going to mutate and glow under blacklights and steal shuttles to go "home", and make Bev slap her forehead and go "I KNEW there was something I was forgetting!"?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Sash! posted:

The Voyager Conspiracy is a fun episode, but there's something that always bothered me.

WHERE DID THAT TRACTOR BEAM COME FROM

I mean... No one ever tries to debunk that one. There's a cloaked ship using a tractor beam at the array and everyone just sort of ignored it

I figured it was the guy building his catapult that took it

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Surely the Federation would authorise a temporal rescue mission to pick up a little girl who fell through a portal onto an unoccupied planet, with one of their half dozen methods of time travel. Just swing in and pick her up twenty seconds after she arrives.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
counter point - O'Brian is listed as father.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Axe-man posted:

counter point - O'Brian is listed as father.

"The file says that O'Brien suffering sever mental trauma is a fixed point in history. Sorry cap'n, we can't touch it. Oh, but we've got another 'someone goes back in time and tries to kill Hitler' we can do instead though. Yeah, it's Beckett Mariner this time. Again."

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
That episode really wasted an interesting premise

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:wtc:
https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1410437425042657284?s=20

e: no, actually, :wtc:

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1410439164789616647?s=20

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Is this person a well known brainworms haver?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

no clue, someone I follow retweeted it but it literally made me do a double-take

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

8one6 posted:

Is this person a well known brainworms haver?

he's got some other bangers like "ursula leguin is a reactionary" yes

E: no wait I'm mixing up my bad Noah takes, apologies

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bullbar posted:

Surely the Federation would authorise a temporal rescue mission to pick up a little girl who fell through a portal onto an unoccupied planet, with one of their half dozen methods of time travel. Just swing in and pick her up twenty seconds after she arrives.
You can only do this ethically before the effects of the time travel have made their way to forward through time.

But, y'know, twice in the show they tapdance over that ethical concern on their way back to the status quo, so the DS9 crew are resultingly and canonically kind of lovely about orphaning timelines.