Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ace of Baes posted:

rent control + jacked up taxes on people who own more than 1 home, deflate the housing market and make owning multiple houses and non viable form of investment, basically deflating the housing market while providing subsidies/incentives for people who own 0 homes buying a home, seize large apartment complexes and transform them into public housing

I like this idea a lot, thx :)

Grondoth posted:

This is actually a huuuuge problem in NYC, 95% of the new stuff built is empty because it lets rich people park their money.

Same for San Francisco, and it's even true enough for any urban area with a hosed housing market (ie most of them) that it's also true in Boston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Only a small percentage of apartments should be privately owned.

NNick posted:

A major succ of Oregon politics is housing politics. Portland has a massive homeless population despite tons of new housing being built. Most of it sits empty as it is considered an investment vehicle where offering market rates would lower it's long-term value.

Pretty much all the house/senate Dems are landlords who talk about the need for affordable housing. Many of them push against the bills to lower moving costs for renters, improve renter protection, ban no-cause evictions, increase budgets for new affordable housing, etc in back channels to ensure their investment. They ultimately hide behind one or two 'moderate' democrats who believe in regulations will hurt 'supply'. Their solution is instead to build more housing that will sit empty because only a small selection of white tech bros can afford $2K+ rent/monthly mortgage for a fancy apartment/condo.

I can confirm this. You will be driving by apartments that have ads for vacancy for months, but prices are still steep.

At least average rent is flat YoY, compared to Seattle where it's still skyrocketing.

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tax vacancy, bigly.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Rhukatah posted:

Tax vacancy, bigly.

the longer a place is vacant, the more expensive the tax should be. eventually they'll have to give it to the government for public housing if its not selling.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Al! posted:

nobody in power wants to admit the huge massive housing crisis is happening because they're all invested in making it worse
Actually it's impossible to have a housing crisis because if there was a crisis they wouldn't have so many houses

:downs:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Rhukatah posted:

Tax vacancy, bigly.

anime was right posted:

the longer a place is vacant, the more expensive the tax should be. eventually they'll have to give it to the government for public housing if its not selling.

gently caress this half assed pussy poo poo.

Nationalize at least half of all apartments tommorow via eminent domain, and have the renters as a whole act as the landlords.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

NNick posted:

A major succ of Oregon politics is housing politics. Portland has a massive homeless population despite tons of new housing being built. Most of it sits empty as it is considered an investment vehicle where offering market rates would lower it's long-term value.

Pretty much all the house/senate Dems are landlords who talk about the need for affordable housing. Many of them push against the bills to lower moving costs for renters, improve renter protection, ban no-cause evictions, increase budgets for new affordable housing, etc in back channels to ensure their investment. They ultimately hide behind one or two 'moderate' democrats who believe in regulations will hurt 'supply'. Their solution is instead to build more housing that will sit empty because only a small selection of white tech bros can afford $2K+ rent/monthly mortgage for a fancy apartment/condo.

yeah pdx here too and every time i read something about new housing being built on oregonlive or whatever i know it's just more techbro storage & investment property and not anything that will address the housing problem at all

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Joementum posted:

interestingly, the DCCC endorsed candidate in TX-21 says he'll endorse the Medicare for All bill

https://kopserforcongress.com/my-values/health-care-for-all/

You know who else endorses Medicare for All bills

That's right

https://twitter.com/NationalNurses/status/971438162001018880

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rhukatah posted:

Tax vacancy, bigly.

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

gently caress this half assed pussy poo poo.

Nationalize at least half of all apartments tommorow via eminent domain, and have the renters as a whole act as the landlords.

That's a good start for urban areas but it leaves the conditions in place for the problems to recur. You also have a lot of places in the country where most of the rental housing stock are single family homes. A vacancy tax heavily discourages purchasing single family homes for investment purposes and also incentivizes banks to dump repo homes ASAP and gives a bit more leverage to homeowners struggling to meet their mortgage.

It's probably easier to socialize finance than it is to socialize all residential property. Lots of people hate banks but love their homes.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I hate this party

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Rhukatah posted:

It's probably easier to socialize finance than it is to socialize all residential property.
Socialize both.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a vacancy tax is the easiest thing to justify and has a decent chance of passing, assuming our government were run by even neoliberals instead of hellspawn

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/971451516837072898

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Uncle Wemus posted:

I hate this party

https://twitter.com/cordeliers/status/971371191033319425

how about now

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

also

https://twitter.com/elankaroll/status/970745966956548098

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

democrats win house senate and presidency back in 2020 and immediately move to bring the justice that the people have been craving...........................granting tax exemptions for military contractors

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sales taxes are bad. Noone should support sales taxes.

Tired: Sales Tax
Wired: Use Tax

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

means tested poll taxes

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The future of taxes is a pole tax... all the ladies have to pay it!!!!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

jesus christ

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The only tax that should exist is a wealth tax.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/971481055315275779

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

loving lmao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cynthia Nixon's wife is going to beat the poo poo out of Cuomo.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

ab so lute

https://twitter.com/nwmalinowski/status/971200993227628544

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

also cynthia nixon seems good

https://twitter.com/shantmm/status/971178255439904774
https://twitter.com/shantmm/status/971180319285043200

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holy poo poo cynthia nixon that's some poo poo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Senator Nixon kind of looks like Cynthia Nixon. That's worth a vote alone.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Taintrunner posted:

andy rooney is good actually

One of my favorite Andy Rooney segments was him getting mad at people who were upset over canned horse meat being removed from supermarket shelves.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Grondoth posted:

This is actually a huuuuge problem in NYC, 95% of the new stuff built is empty because it lets rich people park their money.
how do we fix the problem of a bunch of vacant homes and a bunch of homeless

tired: put the homeless in the homes
wired: let rich people own vacant houses and dont build housing

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

how do we fix the problem of a bunch of vacant homes and a bunch of homeless

tired: put the homeless in the homes
wired: let rich people own vacant houses and dont build housing

inspired: let all the homeless people die and then the problem goes away

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

loquacius posted:

I like this idea a lot, thx :)

Same for San Francisco, and it's even true enough for any urban area with a hosed housing market (ie most of them) that it's also true in Boston
reminder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCGtxeknSg

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Refuse to vote for them until they become emotional wrecks who can't understand how anybody wouldn't compromise.
there's probably a nonzero chance the electronic voting machines just starting getting blatantly rigged if they're not already

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

texas just wasn't ready for an unemployed 20 something who lives with his parents

Unironically this shouldn't count against him, given the fact that a significant portion of young adults have similar circumstances through no fault of their own (and their less privileged counterparts may live on their own out of necessity, but at the price of going into heavy debt or living paycheck to paycheck).

At the very least I would much rather have someone like that than someone from a well-off "professional" background.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think I've somehow already voted for her and she hasn't even run for anything yet

Weird lol

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
anything to get Cuomo kicked out ahead of 2020 would be a Good Thing. she seems to be a big public school advocate and that's good.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

its like 10x worse than hoovervilles

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And mind you, that's the people who don't have homes. For those just barely keeping a roof over their head, they're usually living in substandard or dangerously unsafe conditions. Used to be a blog called "The Worst Room."

$750/mo, Vancouver B.C.

Brooklyn, $800/mo

Brooklyn, $950/mo

Basement in Brooklyn, $1350

And then you have poo poo like this, and it is loving rampant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGl-12AgIno

I know of at least two buildings in Brooklyn in a residential area that was chopped up and turned into a straight up hotel you can only book on AirBNB. There's all sorts of poo poo like this running rampant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
lol welp at least i can not vote for or support bennet in any way ever again and actually feel happy about it, gently caress every dem who supported this trash

• Locked thread