Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keisari
May 24, 2011

Slappy Moose posted:

Or just like any garrysmod server. Build a bunch of catapults and launch cars at people building forts/sexposes, etc. There are so many things we could do.

Just open spawn screen and spam traincars. It lags the server so bad weaker ones will crash. Do that on a populated server and it empties pretty quick because the lag is infernal. If it doesn't lag anything because of item limits or something, atleast it'll be irritating as gently caress to have 30 huge combine traincars blocking and resting around all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The bottom half of the crane from HL2's coast chapter is way bigger, and it's in the spawnlist too on most gently caress-around servers.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

There was a really bad Garry's Mod server that had the whole "donate for admin rights!" schpiel and they had everything locked down so you couldn't spawn turrets for the depth of field exploit that was mentioned earlier in this thread (what I did on a few occasions to clear servers), nor bring the server down with turrets that fire multiple bullets at once due to the numerous particle effects it made. Of course these two things aren't much to complain about, a bunch of people know about that stuff; well like half the default spawnlist didn't work either. On the server people could also hover over every spawned object to see who spawned it and usually kicked people for making anything that wasn't something for admins to laugh at. Most of the admins were pretty young, got mad at you if you didn't obey them, typical kids on the internet stuff. I really dislike abusive admins who probably stole a credit card to pay for the rights. I wanted to make these people really mad in return.

Wiremod was on the server, who thought this was a good idea? All the things that caused damage were barred off, leading to a "please donate for admin!" on every spawn attempt. The Hoverdrive controller was spawnable, still. This sloppily coded chunk of gameplay is a bit infamous in the wiremod community for being a buggy piece of poo poo. The few admins that were on the server didn't really know anything about wiremod at all, so I convinced them that I was making a cash register setup for their hokey roleplay game. Yes, "HOVERDRIVE CONTROLLER" could be seen upon hovering over it, but these people didn't know anything. I made a little board full of stuff that pretty much output huge random values every split second. The hoverdrive controller takes numbers hooked up to it as coordinates. I set it off and it teleported pretty much everywhere it wasn't supposed to be; this caused lag to shoot up quite a bit. Figuring this wasn't enough I just used the duplicator tool to put more of them around, causing the server to deal with these buggy monstrosities being in places hard for the engine to handle. Quickly, the server poo poo itself.

A few days later the server is back and in my browser's history. Surely they've learned! Well of course not. It seemed like they were trying to find what caused the server crash, babbling over the microphone about what causes crashes and what does not to no avail. No extra things are implemented on the server so no teleportaloo fuckery for me; instead the turrets are spawnable again, and I make a turret that increases the depth of field, causing everyone's framerates to drop to one digit, causing those with lower-end graphics cards to crash outright. I convinced everyone that the "fog" was the server's fault and not caused by anyone in particular, they even deleted everything on the map to make sure! The depth of field effect stays even if the turret is gone, adding to the hysteria. I received many ban threats since I wasn't a regular on their server, and surely their problems were caused by me (well they weren't wrong!). Screams aplenty over the microphone, while the few people on the server either timed out or just left. This stupidity drags itself out for about 3 minutes and I start spamming ragdolls joined together at negative lengths. The game engine loves to calculate all the collisions and forces that go through this, so much that it has to take a break and relax! I shut their bad server down again. I presume it was run on an older machine, as other servers could have probably handled what I dished out.

(Is server crashing malicious and not up to par for this thread?)

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Poniard posted:

With lovely admins like that, it is very on par.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
At least you worte a pretty funny description of it.

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
As far as gmod griefing goes, if a server has damage enabled, you can pull a neat trick with the large blue dumpster. Use the Ignite tool to set it on fire, and manually set the burn duration to something high like 1200 seconds. Anything that enters the burning dumpster will roast alive, because of the way fire damage position is calculated when it comes to burning things. Then turn that bad boy upside-down and plop it on top of a spawn point. If you have basic understanding of Wire, you can do a whole lot of damage with a device called the Wire Nailer. It works the same way as the vanilla gmod Nail tool - creates a weld between two adjacent objects in its line of fire. The thing is, most prop protection systems out there do not take this device into account. (This might have changed, but I managed to pull it off a couple of weeks ago, so unless it was a really rear end-backward server, I'd say the chances are good.) Anyway, rig that to a numpad input, or if you're fancy like me, make it into an invisible drone that follows you around and aims where you do. Either way, a few strategically placed bursts will reward you with a shower of sparks signifying the fact that you just welded someone's vending machine boner car into an immobile piece of slag.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Where do you guys get all these mad people in TF2? I never get people getting mad at me, the best I ever get is if I'm on a server with low player numbers sometimes I get everyone else to ragequit. But they just leave silently, no yelling at me or anything.

One time I was playing Demoman with Ali Baba's Wee Booties, the Splendid Shield, and the Ullapool Caber. Basically, more health, ability to do a charge, melee weapon that instant kills most classes (and if you hit them at the very end of a charge, every class) that hurts you and you can only use once per life. Basically, I'd just charge people, blow them up, then run back to spawn. One guy asked me for tips on "how to play demoman so well" after I dominated him.

My favourite trick though is using the Cloak and Dagger, which lets you be invisible forever as long as you don't move very much, and sneaking into the enemy intel to yell voice commands at the engineers, put my spray right in front of them, etc. You can get paranoid engineers running all over firing wildly trying to catch you.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Poniard posted:

Depends on how it's done. I didn't know about the depth of field trick, so that's interesting. Bringing a server to its knees, however, is stupidly easy as long as the server has the stacker and a high-ish prop limit. I haven't done much testing, but I imagine as little as 50 per person is all that's required.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

edit: nevermind

Alberto Basalm fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 16, 2012

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?

Puistokemisti posted:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=316408
It's because of this, Brasil 5v5 tier list. Around the time of writing that, Mordekaiser was kinda terrible against anyone who knew how to avoid his damage but he was great at stomping bad players so there we calls for both buffing him and nerfing him. For some reason, Morde es #1 became a LoL catchphrase.

For anyone checking that link that doesn't play LoL, no, that tier list isn't a real tier list in any form.
:allears:

Was a fake, entirely racist post. Shows the intelligence level of some of the LoL community. And to think I almost was a community guy there.. :/

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Fizzle posted:

And to think I almost was a community guy there.. :/

Dodged a bullet there.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
-lemony snippets-

I guess I'm just not funny :qq:

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 24, 2012

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Haha you sure showed them champ! Sure is some hilarious "griefing!" (:frogout:)

Infra
Feb 11, 2006
wreck'em tech, guns up
I thought this was worth posting.

Some guy posts about how he'll be in-zone to PvP and get footage for his next video. This particular zone is a quest area for players 5-8 levels below him. A level 50 vs. non-50 in SWTOR is a huge deal because gear scaling gets out of hand at max level, with the introduction of a PvP only stat and multiple secondary stats.

Anyways, the Republic goon guild meets him there, makes their own video of it, and this guy gets trolled for 10 pages on the forums.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=209528

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

Infra posted:

I thought this was worth posting.

Some guy posts about how he'll be in-zone to PvP and get footage for his next video. This particular zone is a quest area for players 5-8 levels below him. A level 50 vs. non-50 in SWTOR is a huge deal because gear scaling gets out of hand at max level, with the introduction of a PvP only stat and multiple secondary stats.

Anyways, the Republic goon guild meets him there, makes their own video of it, and this guy gets trolled for 10 pages on the forums.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=209528

Are the goons the ones saying "RIP Arus" ?? What's that bit about?

Also Territo is a legend!!

Also also starfleet dental is the goon guild?

duffath fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 23, 2012

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Arus is from the LOTRO guild The Nazgun, but I haven't read the forums in a while so I dunno if he quit SWTOR or what.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

My buddy and I got roped in to playing EvE Online by a mutual friend and we ended up just paling around together while the friend never logged on. Luckily my friend is a master level griefer and here are two stories I was lucky enough to be there to watch, we will call my friend "Mitch":

Both of us were focusing on production "speced" guys, mainly mining poo poo to build poo poo, so starting out we explored various ways to mine and what we would need. Well little did I know Mitch had a PvP toon as well. We were mining an asteriod belt in low sec(read pvp area) and we notice another noob mining as well. His name in game was , KobraCommander, Mitch logged off and killed him with his pvp alt. So when Mitch logged back in he sent me a picture of global chat, which I never paid attention to, it went something like this:

KobraCommander: You human being! You killed me! I am just a miner!
Mitch: GO JOE!

Another of Mitch's exploits was when a guy in a huge tricked out mining ship basically bullied us out of the belts we were mining. So mitch follows him back to high security ( no pvp or NPCs insta-gib you) and watches him load his cargo then spawn back out again.

Now the bigger ships have a flaw, it takes them a long time to orrient themselves before they warp to where ever they selected. So Mitch just takes his most dinky ship he owns and keeps running into this huge ship everytime it is orienting itself to mine more belts. He kept this huge ship from going anywhere for like 10 mins. It was gold!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I was sort of hoping someone would kill him in 1v1, not gonna lie. I mean it was funny to see him get railed on but it doesn't really stop him from going ":smug: heh it takes 20 guys to kill me I'm mrterrito best at PvP"

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I was sort of hoping someone would kill him in 1v1, not gonna lie. I mean it was funny to see him get railed on but it doesn't really stop him from going ":smug: heh it takes 20 guys to kill me I'm mrterrito best at PvP"

After reading the thread, I don't think he would have acknowledged a fair fight.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I might just be a horrible person, or have a terrible sense of humor(probably both), but I laughed at this video of a guy griefing a bunch of "13 year old Machinima makers:"

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLx4g2a5Bg4

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1H1oF375Fc

Ostentatious fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 24, 2012

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Captain Tolerable posted:

I might just be a horrible person, or have a terrible sense of humor(probably both), but I laughed at this video of a guy griefing a bunch of "13 year old Machinima makers:"

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLx4g2a5Bg4

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1H1oF375Fc

Well, at least they got to be in a machinima movie

Mura
Feb 3, 2008

duffath posted:

Are the goons the ones saying "RIP Arus" ?? What's that bit about?

Also Territo is a legend!!

Also also starfleet dental is the goon guild?

Arus was the sole dude killed by Territo

Yes, Starfleet Dental is the goon guild, but I don't believe that it's goon exclusive.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mura posted:

Arus was the sole dude killed by Territo
After Arus had removed all his armor and weapons.

In his videos he's not even trying to hide the fact that he always has a quick escape open. If the fight should start to turn against him he'll just click the "enter warzone" button and disappear. Pretty sure that guy is just trolling everyone with his loudmouth antics and obviously terrible videos.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

After Arus had removed all his armor and weapons.

In his videos he's not even trying to hide the fact that he always has a quick escape open. If the fight should start to turn against him he'll just click the "enter warzone" button and disappear. Pretty sure that guy is just trolling everyone with his loudmouth antics and obviously terrible videos.

The biggest hint that he's a troll is how low-effort his videos are and how loud his mouth is. He doesn't hestitate to tell you what his mom told him every time he was bullied by the big kids in school to maintain his ego.

There's a possibility he doesn't quite get that he's the one being made fun of.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mordaedil posted:

The biggest hint that he's a troll is how low-effort his videos are and how loud his mouth is. He doesn't hestitate to tell you what his mom told him every time he was bullied by the big kids in school to maintain his ego.

There's a possibility he doesn't quite get that he's the one being made fun of.

I don't play SWTOR, but it's pretty obvious to me that that guy is trolling and eating up all the attention, good or bad. He knows everyone is mocking him and he doesn't give a poo poo.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Once a year or so I end up playing A Tale in the Desert, this weird crafting/social mmo about life in ancient Egypt minus the slaves and with no PvP. At first it seems like something that wouldn't provide many griefing opportunities but it has turned into by far my favorite game to grief.

Ya see, the whole game is based around these "tests" that nearly all have a strong social component. For example, one test requires you to build this big obelisk out of bricks and boards and crap, but the catch is that you have to build the largest obelisk that has ever existed in that region (there are like 8 or 9 total regions) AND it must stay as the biggest one for like 3 days. The bigger the obelisk, the more materials it takes to make. The minimum size to pass the test is like 7 cubit (yeah cubit) or something, but it quickly gets into the 20s and 30s as people try to pass the test by overbuilding each other. Because of the difficulty passing the test, the players got together and formed nice and orderly (and very unofficial) queues in order to make the whole process easier for them. The queues are not binding however, so me and some people spent a week collecting materials and we built a 100 cubit obelisk on the corner between 4 regions, and then we tore it down and rebuilt it 3 more times so we screwed up the test for all 4 regions. Then we lugged all the materials to another spot where 3 other regions met and did it there too.

The way "order" is maintained in the game is through passing laws and electing a "Demi-Pharaoh" (a sorta mini-GM) from the players, who has the ability to exile (ban) up to 7 people. Apparently the guy who runs the game sees it as some kind of social experiment, so harassment is totally allowed. The game starts over about once a year, and all the laws and demi-pharaos are reset, which means for the first month and a half or so there is just about nothing anyone can do about griefing.

After we griefed the server with the obelisks in the last tale, they passed a law that changed the game permanently so that you can't tear down obelisks and get the materials back, so when we started playing a few days ago we had to come up with a new grief. We decided the best course of action was to build annoying crap all around people's houses in the game so they can't expand them, and if we really wanted to piss them off we'd build stuff all over any decent land near their house so they would have to totally pack up and leave if they ever wanted to make any more progress. The way it works is that structures you build can't be removed until months after you quit, so they are either stuck with the stuff for a good chunk of the "tale" or they move, either way its a really good grief-per-hour ratio.

Unfortunately we showed up like 3 days before the first Demi-Pharaoh was elected, but to our surprise we found out that in order for them to ban us they have to actually find us in the game, select our character and choose "ban" or something, so I just stayed logged out until they went to bed, and then went to the DP's guild base and just covered it in crap and then left signs all over calling them all poo poo. It turned out to be the main GM base and the DP that was elected turned out to be a GM, so now I'm in Egypt jail, but their base is still ruined =)

Other fun things to do in ATITD that make people unbelievably angry:
-Walk up and take rocks from the ground when players organize a group "dig"
-Build beehives near people's houses so they buzz non-stop forever

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 25, 2012

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Lucid Dream posted:

-Build beehives near people's houses so they buzz non-stop forever

Goddamn, this got me laughing. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another thing about A Tale In The Desert is that during either the production of concrete or smelting metal (i forget), an item called clinker is produced. When dropped on the ground and left to disappear, the area around it gets progressively more polluted the more clinker you drop. There are certain structures in the game called aqueducts that increase gains for certain plants when you grow the plants around them, but they're fairly resource-intensive and there weren't too many in Tale 3. What I'd do is gather up a bunch of clinker from my clan's storage, travel to the aqueducts, and drop mass loads of clinker around them, ruining growth.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Player-elected officials with the ability to ban seems like a horrible gameplay convention, but then again you did say it was ran as more of a social experiment. It sounds pretty interesting, though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Stuntman posted:

Another thing about A Tale In The Desert is that during either the production of concrete or smelting metal (i forget), an item called clinker is produced.
Clinker is the leftover "trash" materials from production processes - namely concrete and smelting. :eng101:

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Tale in the Desert was a neat idea, but I never got too into it. I might give it a second look; it's been a couple years. The main problem I had was that, even though I love exploring, the world feels SO EMPTY, especially early on.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
My Xbox headset developed a short which basically turned into a feedback machine. Everything coming in the speaker shorts out on the mic and begins echoing, then it echoes the echo and :psyduck: The longer it's on, the worse it gets. I also figured out how to reproduce the terrible screech that sounds like a fire alarm. I have yet to deploy it in the field, but everyone who was in the goon party when it first started happening was ready to murder me before I figured out what was happening. I'm thinking about playing Modern Warfare 3 later solely to test my new weapon against Caulidoody's finest. Not the best grief ever, but it should ruffle some feathers, especially if someone is using their badass Turtle Beaches

DELETED fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 27, 2012

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
A pretty simple grief in CSS is to glitch out those 'deathrun' servers in any way you can, and as the maps are usually poorly made this is very easy. There was one map in particular where using a certain trap at the start of the round would cause a car to block off the entire map, leaving the hapless CT team to sit there and spam voteban or cry for an admin. Of course since this CSS they're all twelve years old (how is this even possible the game is older than some of them) or stoners so by the time the admin has muddled through the ban plugin you've disappeared and returned with a new name.

Other choice map glitches included: throwing a smoke grenade on a spinning trap at the right time which would cause it to become impassable.

Throwing smokes on timing traps so as to congest the team and waste a minute, time precious to these spergs on SERIOUS DEATHRUN servers.

Be good at the game and screw over your teammates at the end by giving the trap-pushing team the guns.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

These are old as dirt and have in all likeliness been posted in the thread before but these videos are the classiest display of griefing I've ever seen.

Team Roomba Presents: TF2 Griefing

Team Roomba Presents: More TF2 Griefing

"If Valve didn't want us to do it, why would they put it in the game?" :allears:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Good God, Minecraft is easy as hit to grief through a combination of naive/new players, a multitude of publicly available hacking clients and poorly configured anti-griefing server plugins.

I ransacked an admin player's tower, burned his house to the ground, xrayed myself a full set of diamond tools and armor in less than 10 minutes and they still believed me when I said 'I didn't do it'.

The Nodus client has a built in IRC client as well allowing for an extent of organization between griefers to overwhelm servers.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it
If anyone is interested, I made a new video of some good old gmod rp and jailbreak

http://youtu.be/_0HsDpraUFA

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Captain Failcon posted:

If anyone is interested, I made a new video of some good old gmod rp and jailbreak

http://youtu.be/_0HsDpraUFA
I just... Don't get GMOD RP. What kind of mental state do you need to be in to play that and take it so seriously? That guy is really pissed off that you stole his paper towels.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I just... Don't get GMOD RP. What kind of mental state do you need to be in to play that and take it so seriously? That guy is really pissed off that you stole his paper towels.

the mindset of the typical gmod rper is literally a thought bubble with a huge loving target that says GRIEF ME

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Captain Failcon posted:

the mindset of the typical gmod rper is literally a thought bubble with a huge loving target that says GRIEF ME

They are kids playing make believe. They're just using a computer game instead of a real playground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ponzicar posted:

They are kids playing make believe. They're just using a computer game instead of a real playground.
When I played make believe on the playground, I was pretending I had a gun and superpowers. Whenever I roleplayed, I had a giant sword or was throwing fireballs. These kids are virtually stocking their virtual apartment with virtual paper towels.

• Locked thread