Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

QPZIL posted:

So, a couple years ago I see that Nachtmystium's Blake Judd is trying to raise funds for their next album (this was right before they recorded "Silencing Machine"). I emailed back and forth with Blake and he was going to sell me a couple limited pressing LPs for $50. I paypalled him, and gave it a few weeks. Emailed him to check up. Nothing. Emailed him a month later, no response. Emailed him a couple months later, no response.

Flash forward to today, I see that he's been arrested on theft charges because he's been doing that poo poo to tons of people, along with stealing from bandmates, allegedly stealing a guitar from a band they played with, even supposedly forging contractual documents so that he can steal royalty money. The guys who run HHB and NWN! even posted about sending him hundreds of dollars to buy CDs from him - both guys trying to buy the same CDs, neither of them getting anything! (Granted: I don't know what exactly he's being charged with in this case, that's just other stuff I've heard through the grapevine.)

Mugshot:

I guess I should have know better than to send money to a well-known heroin and cocaine addict. Whatever, I'm surprised nobody's beaten the poo poo out of him yet. Dickhead.

Not that I'm bitter or anything :)
He also made a huge kerfuffle on the Barge to Hell. He missed his flight to Miami and the Barge people had to pull strings to get him on the boat in the Bahamas.

Because he missed his flight, he also missed their first set (each band plays twice). Nachtmystium (and all the bands) were contractually obligated to play two sets, so they created an extra time for them to play. He basically played two fifteen minute sets, and he played them pretty badly. People were pretty upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

QPZIL posted:

The new Shining (from Sweden) album, 8½ – Feberdrömmar i vaket tillstånd is pretty awesome. It's a lot more bleak black metal and less Kvarforth crying over acoustic guitars.

That's because Kvarforth only sings like one track on this album.

:black101:Gaahl, Famine, Maniac, and Atilla each take a song on this one:black101:

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
I only ever really got into V - Halmstad, never Klagopsalmer or Fodd Forlorare. And I never even heard Redefining Darkness. Is the new one worth checking out, then?

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

John Magnum posted:

I only ever really got into V - Halmstad, never Klagopsalmer or Fodd Forlorare. And I never even heard Redefining Darkness. Is the new one worth checking out, then?

V Halmstad is probably their best in my opinion. Redefining Darkness was okay I only listened to it a couple of times didn't really go back to it though. I would say the new one is worth checking out though, more traditional black metal with some pretty good atmospheres. Plus having every song sung by a different person is pretty nostalgic for me since I listened to a ton of Mayhem back in the day. Keep in mind this is my first run through the record.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, this is certainly a different way to appreciate Blind Guardian. :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4E2Tc370ZU

In other news, to the surprise of absolutely nobody, Floor Jansen has indeed been confirmed to have joined Nightwish as a permanent member.
And while they were at it, they also took on Troy Donockley, the guy who's been playing those uilleann pipes on certain songs. According to an interview of Marco Hietala the guy is quite a multi-instrumentalist, so this might be interesting, especially as Hietala also said that they've been thinking of making the next album a bit more band-centric.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Floor Jansen here to stay? So she'll quit in 3-5 years, right?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Floor Jansen here to stay? So she'll quit in 3-5 years, right?

We can only hope After Forever gets off hiatus and she goes back to a band that can write decent songs.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

IRQ posted:

We can only hope After Forever gets off hiatus and she goes back to a band that can write decent songs.
Funny, the time I gave After Forever a try, my though was basically, "Well the singer is pretty good but the songs are loving boring as poo poo." Taste is a weird thing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nordick posted:

Funny, the time I gave After Forever a try, my though was basically, "Well the singer is pretty good but the songs are loving boring as poo poo." Taste is a weird thing.
Decipher was a really great album but I was never a fan of anything they released afterwards.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

If you have Facebook, here's the new Hell single. https://www.facebook.com/HELLofficial/app_208195102528120

Digging the Aquarius/Let the Sunshine thing haha.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nordick posted:

We're talking relative to current Nightwish songwriting. It's not that high of a bar, I admit.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

John Magnum posted:

It's all about The Eerie Cold! And the SUbmit to Self-Destruction EP. Pure hatred! :black101:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Saw Turisas last night, and they put on a great show. Lots of banter, energy and Warlord Whatsisface is a great frontman. Also, the violin guy was rocking his poo poo in every song. New stuff sounded really good live and the whole thing was a lot of fun :).

I was really close to the front, so couldn't resist taking a picture of violin man doing his thing:

henpod fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 10, 2013

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

So White Wizzard is pretty much done for

from facebook posted:

Guitarist Will Wallner has released the I following statement:

I am sad to announce I am no longer a member of White Wizzard. I will not get into the petty argument between Jon Leon and Joseph Micheal, I will only comment on what matters; the music. I am proud of the album Joseph Micheal, Will Wallner, Jake Dreyer, Jon Leon and Giovanni Durst created this year. We all brought our own influences and individual styles to make a great metal album. That is what I want to remember from my time in White Wizzard. We had a great live chemistry and for a brief moment I believed the band could have done something.

As proud as I am of the music we created I am equally pissed at how the tour and band ended. I am even more pissed for support band Monument who got screwed out of a tour because of our unprofessional attitude. I am pissed for the people who donated to the bands indiegogo campaign. The money was meant to help the band tour and now that band does not exist. I knew it was a bad idea and the video was humiliating and insulting. I hope each of you at least get what you paid for...

I may give an in depth statement explaining exactly what happened but for now this is all I want to say. I will be focusing on my solo project "Will Wallner & Vivien Vain". We have started working on a new album and am very inspired to get back to making real music. Finally I would like to thank all the fans who supported the band and all the friends I made while I was in the band. I would like thank Earache Records and Century Media for the work they did while I was in the band. Cheers!

quote:

Hey all WW friends and enemies,
It is time for me to get off this ship. “Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. “ –Edgar Allan Poe. I bought the ticket and I took the ride. Thanks for the memories!
-Jake Dreyer

Sucks, they had so much potential

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
White Wizzard sucks (sucked?) and Will Wallner is an idiot and hypocrite. I'd like to quote an article that he unironically published a few months ago: "it's impossible to get a deal with a big label unless you have a marketing gimmick and are fashionable."

At least someone called him out on it. http://contaminatedtones.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-jokes-on-you-will-wallner.html

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
He's not totally wrong if you limit your focus to what counts as metal among the remaining big labels, but that's always been the case.

e: Also did that guy who wrote that rebuttal run it through google translate a few times? Good lord man, it's an internet piece, not a term paper you're struggling to hit the word count on.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 10, 2013

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

henpod posted:

Saw Turisas last night, and they put on a great show. Lots of banter, energy and Warlord Whatsisface is a great frontman. Also, the violin guy was rocking his poo poo in every song. New stuff sounded really good live and the whole thing was a lot of fun :).

O2 Academy? Yeah it was pretty great. I wasn't too impressed with the new album but the tracks seem to work a lot better live, maybe because they're mostly more straight-up metal without the twiddly bits from the previous two albums.
Shame they didn't play more off Varangian though, I'd have loved to see Five Hundred And One or Miklagard Overture live.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Smoky Bandana posted:

O2 Academy? Yeah it was pretty great. I wasn't too impressed with the new album but the tracks seem to work a lot better live, maybe because they're mostly more straight-up metal without the twiddly bits from the previous two albums.
Shame they didn't play more off Varangian though, I'd have loved to see Five Hundred And One or Miklagard Overture live.

Precisely the reason I didn't book tickets. I didn't much care for the previous album and this new one just sounds like cack to me so I think my days of seeing Turisas live may be numbered...

Has anyone heard the new Skeletonwitch album yet btw?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Kaiho posted:

Precisely the reason I didn't book tickets. I didn't much care for the previous album and this new one just sounds like cack to me so I think my days of seeing Turisas live may be numbered...

Has anyone heard the new Skeletonwitch album yet btw?

Is it out somewhere?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

nerve posted:

Is it out somewhere?

If so, Hail Satan, I have some searching to do

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

No, it comes out at the end of the month but I reckoned some review types posted here :)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Here's the title track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCetDuaWvyU

Owns.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sorry for the blabbermouth link, but you can stream the new Death Angel album here:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/death-angel-entire-dream-calls-for-blood-album-available-for-streaming/

I don't know how to get the link of that playlist from the widget, which is pretty annoying mostly because it doesn't have a loving volume control.

Anyway, album sounds awesome. I'm really enjoying the guitar riffs.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nordick posted:

The only album I really like is Decipher. Prison of Desire is also ok, but after their guitarist left the band's music went straight into trash bin.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I saw Metallica's Through The Never tonight.

First of all, the "story" takes up a total of about 10 minutes screen time. Generally they just use it for different visuals while Metallica play a kickass song in the background. The story is almost one big long video clip. So Metallica fans? Don't worry. The songs aren't really compromised for the sake of the story. There's a few cuts and stuff, but nothing really cringeworthy.

The stage is awesome. They sounded REALLY good which surprised me because I hate their live sound these days. The performances were great and the setlist is almost the best of the first 4 albums. It's a punishing thrashy setlist and is awesome.

Anybody who has ever liked Metallica? Go check it out. If you get the chance, see it in 3D with IMAX. There were times when I felt like I was at the show again.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I read an interview with Lars from a few weeks ago, and he said that they didn't want to become a nostalgia act. And then here comes Through The Never, featuring one song from after 1996. Oops.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I pre-ordered the new Trivium album, Vengeance Falls. I wonder how the rest of the album will be after listening to the songs they've released to the public so far. "Strife" sounds like it's a blend of Shogun and In Waves, but I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

ace8989 posted:

I pre-ordered the new Trivium album, Vengeance Falls. I wonder how the rest of the album will be after listening to the songs they've released to the public so far. "Strife" sounds like it's a blend of Shogun and In Waves, but I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet.

They released the entire album to the public a few days ago, here: http://trivium.org/vengeancefalls/

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

new Iced Earth track

I've always liked this band.. this isn't bad, but you can really tell from this that Stu Block is like a Barlow-lite and I still don't really feel him

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Varg posted:

new Iced Earth track

I've always liked this band.. this isn't bad, but you can really tell from this that Stu Block is like a Barlow-lite and I still don't really feel him

Meh... Not impressed. I enjoyed the last album quite a bit, but this just seems boring. Hopefully the rest of the album is better.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

They released the entire album to the public a few days ago, here: http://trivium.org/vengeancefalls/

Bah, seems that Strife is by far the best track. Not that Strife is bad, I just hoped that the other tracks would be as good, which they aren't by far. E: Incineration The Broken World is pretty awesome as well, others lack a bit.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 12, 2013

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

brucio posted:

I read an interview with Lars from a few weeks ago, and he said that they didn't want to become a nostalgia act. And then here comes Through The Never, featuring one song from after 1996. Oops.

They do Fuel AND Memory Remains and Cyanide.

Shamed
Feb 14, 2012

One thousand credits is my humble price
You all are talking about Trivium. The gently caress?

Anyway, saw Horrendous, Natur, and Antichrist last night.

Horrendous was awesome and the dudes recognized me from a previous show of theirs that I was at.

Natur was really boring. Pretty mediocre.

Antichrist ruled and were SO tight. Plus I got to talk to Dave DiSanto from Vektor. He saw my Vektor patch and was like yeeeeah. Spent all of that set headbanging with him and the dudes from Horrendous.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Hammer Floyd posted:

They do Fuel AND Memory Remains and Cyanide.

1997 then. The point still stands, 1 new song from the last 16 years. Even they're not confident in their recent output, which is typical of a nostalgia band.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
It's also typical of anyone with ears

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

It's also typical of anyone with ears

I still reckon that plenty of the material on Death Magnetic is really well written and totally stands up next to their best work from the 80s. The problem for me was always the production and the performances. That album just sounds like arse - even the non-brickwalled Guitar Hero version.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Aside from the production issues and the subpar lead playing, I really dig Death Magnetic. The first time I heard it I had a big smile on my face within 30 seconds because they nailed the old Metallica sound so perfectly, but without being a total rehash.

IMO, All Nightmare Long is the best song they've written since Justice, and although I wish they would have gone with a different title, I really dig Unforgiven III. Broken, Beaten and Scarred has completely asinine lyrics but is full of killer riffs. The biggest problem with the songwriting on that album is that a lot of the songs needed to be pared down and shortened.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 13, 2013

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Just got into another Manilla Road mood... that band is frickin' awesome. They're just plain fun. By all means I shouldn't really like them, and their use of harmony is quite boring but for some reason they're awesome. Are there any bands that are kinda like the Road? I don't like Cirith Ungol since they always get recommend to fans of the Road.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

abske_fides posted:

Just got into another Manilla Road mood... that band is frickin' awesome. They're just plain fun. By all means I shouldn't really like them, and their use of harmony is quite boring but for some reason they're awesome. Are there any bands that are kinda like the Road? I don't like Cirith Ungol since they always get recommend to fans of the Road.

I was going to suggest listening to Ironsword, but listening to it after 9 years, it's not holding up so well...

I'll edit this post with more soon. Omen is good too, not exactly the same. They're a pretty unique band.

Stygian Shore were from the same area as Mark Shelton I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iADwryvat8

This band is cool because they sort of conjured their own unique vibe as well: Sacred Blade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOwIQX9Ja0k

Heir Apparent has this cool atmosphere with them too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPyW7rlQ3JA

Newer band The Gates of Slumber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QyNLrtXXLs

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

abske_fides posted:

By all means I shouldn't really like them