Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The thing I don’t get is ... why?

How often would a person use emojis compared to numbers and symbols on an iPad?

yeah, nobody ever uses emoji on twitter, Instagram, messages, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I'm not sure it was the correct choice but here's what I think the actual answer is: This isn't, in fact, an emoji button (even though for most Americans that's all it is) - it's the international keyboard switcher button and most of the world will have at least two keyboards on there in addition to emoji - English and whatever their local language is. And now that you can access the most useful symbols and numbers directly from the main keyboard by swiping down on keys, it's probably the much more often used one for a lot of international customers who probably outnumber single language users.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Still no calculator on iPad lol

PCalc has Facetime stickers for some reason though?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Still no calculator on iPad lol

PCalc has Facetime stickers for some reason though?

I was surprised they added a stocks app. Of all the things, this doesn’t really bother me since there are so many calculators (Soulver for the win).

I get that the Button is really the international button, but They should have the option to toggle which button you want where. Very unapple though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The correct answer for monolingual adults is to disable the emoji keyboard entirely.

The number button gets pushed back where it’s supposed to be, and you can still select emoji suggestions when you want to be cute.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

orenronen posted:

I'm not sure it was the correct choice but here's what I think the actual answer is: This isn't, in fact, an emoji button (even though for most Americans that's all it is) - it's the international keyboard switcher button and most of the world will have at least two keyboards on there in addition to emoji - English and whatever their local language is. And now that you can access the most useful symbols and numbers directly from the main keyboard by swiping down on keys, it's probably the much more often used one for a lot of international customers who probably outnumber single language users.
Oh hey, good point, I forgot a while ago you had to add a new keyboard. You can just turn off the emoji keyboard and the button's gone (assuming you don’t use multiple ones).

Edit: but it doesn’t speed up your typing replies, apparently!

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

eddiewalker posted:

The correct answer for monolingual adults is to disable the emoji keyboard entirely.

Real adults don’t care anymore and just use emojis. Are you sure you’re not still a teenager trying to be cool?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm an international user with three different languages' keyboards installed. I don't really care where they put either button, but why in the hell isn't there consistency between its location on an iPhone and iPad? That's what's irritating to me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also they moved the loving time. Why god?? Whyyyyyyyyyy

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

To make the usage on either side of the notch symmetric

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't use the secondary numbers/symbols keyboard that much anymore.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

sourdough posted:

To make the usage on either side of the notch symmetric

New buttonless iPads likely dropping next month.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/ios-12-1-beta-suggests-a-new-ipad-is-coming-this-fall/

quote:

Further, developer Steve Troughton-Smith noted on Twitter that iOS 12.1 appears to include support for Face ID in landscape orientation. This would not be possible with existing iPhone hardware, suggesting that it might be coming in a future iPad with Face ID.

Notches for all the sides!

Also:

quote:

He also pointed out an option for a virtualized 4K external display for the iPad Pro in Apple's iOS simulator. This lends support to an analyst report that the iPad Pro would use USB-C, not Lightning, as its primary port. That is still far from certain, though.

I wouldn't bet the house on that USB-C thing, honestly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

New buttonless iPads likely dropping next month.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/ios-12-1-beta-suggests-a-new-ipad-is-coming-this-fall/

Notches for all the sides!

Also:

Yeah I kinda don’t buy the USBC thing. Everything else though is A ok.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My 12" pro started having unresponsive screen issues on the 2nd or 3rd public beta and they haven't gone away. I reset the iPad and backed up from an iCloud restore and it's still a problem. Is there a more comprehensive backup option? Like as far as I can tell it just reset everything to factory defaults. If there was a problem with the OS I'm not sure if that would have been corrected or not.

Switching the screen off and on seems to fix it. But when it happens I can be mashing my fingers against the screen for a good 10 to 15 seconds without any response.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I imagine they’ll change it back right around the time I get used to it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Proteus Jones posted:

They'll update Lightning to output 4K and make a new dongle before they stick a USB-C port on an iOS device.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I don’t understand why they moved the time/WiFi on the iPad but not on the non-notched iPhones. Just seems weird.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

AdmiralViscen posted:

I don’t understand why they moved the time/WiFi on the iPad but not on the non-notched iPhones. Just seems weird.

That should tell you more regarding their future plans (or lack thereof) for non-notched phones.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Has anyone here used the iPad Pro and pencil for drawing and sketching ? Can you comment on it compared to pencil and paper? I’d want to get one for my dad who used to do a lot of sketch art and needs a new tablet - but if it’s too foreign it won’t work.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Partycat posted:

Has anyone here used the iPad Pro and pencil for drawing and sketching ? Can you comment on it compared to pencil and paper? I’d want to get one for my dad who used to do a lot of sketch art and needs a new tablet - but if it’s too foreign it won’t work.

It's the best art tablet available.

It'll take some effort to get used to drawing on glass, but the ability to undo and use layers while sitting on the couch will fix that.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's the best art tablet available.

It'll take some effort to get used to drawing on glass, but the ability to undo and use layers while sitting on the couch will fix that.

A matte tempered glass screen protector helps with the stylus-on-glass sensation.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

TVs Ian posted:

A matte tempered glass screen protector helps with the stylus-on-glass sensation.
Any recommendations for one of these for a 2018 iPad? The Apple Pencil feels great to hold but the tap on glass when I start writing and the slickness of the surface make it less nice than pen on paper. Really want to get to annotating my PDFs on here.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Partycat posted:

The recently updated regular strength iPad has the same Pencil capability now too.

If the rumors of a November Pro update are true but the hardware differences aren’t that compelling (probably gonna mostly focus on FaceId and scrapping the home button if I had to guess, with maybe a few “getting closer to laptop replacement” touches thrown in)/the price is a bit much/you’re scared your dad won’t take to it and don’t want to drop $700-$1000 on what may end up becoming a paperweight you can always go with that one and it’ll probably be an awesome upgrade for him.

I feel like the vast majority of people upgrading from an old tablet (especially older folks) are replacing something 2-5 years old. Jumping to a new standard non-Pro iPad from something like a 2014 Air or an older Android device is still gonna be a massive upgrade.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

gloom posted:

Any recommendations for one of these for a 2018 iPad? The Apple Pencil feels great to hold but the tap on glass when I start writing and the slickness of the surface make it less nice than pen on paper. Really want to get to annotating my PDFs on here.

Not sure, this is the one I got for my Pro 10.5, but it’s not available anymore and I don’t know if there’s a version to fit the 2018.

Anything similar to that one is probably fine though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Welp, the hype ain't fake re: how iOS 12 is more optimized.

As part of my command center for NCAA football I use both my iPad Pro and Mini 4. Previous, the Mini 4 can finally run Channels (for my HD HomeRun Prime w/Cable Card) without dropping frames left and right. Previous, I had to use PLEX on the Mini. Which works just fine, but kills the battery like no one's business.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How I do I make Facebook Messenger on my iPad stop making the notification sound when I'm sent a message yet the iPad is on mute and closed?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

How I do I make Facebook Messenger on my iPad stop making the notification sound when I'm sent a message yet the iPad is on mute and closed?
It...shouldn’t :psyduck:

Well I guess it depends if you mean volume is at zero (where it displays as "Mute") or if the silent switch is on. If the latter it shouldn’t be making sounds, but if the former there’s another volume setting under Settings-Sounds for ringer and alerts. If you have it set separately from the normal volume (there’s a checkbox below to change it with the volume buttons), then the Messenger notifications are using that volume regardless of the normal volume. To mute that you need to use the silent switch, wherever it is on your iPad. Older ones had a rotation or silent switch which has since been removed, it's in control center nowadays.

iOS has had this volume duality forever, one for media/playback stuff one for system stuff. I forget if Siri has its own volume too on top of that, which can only be changed when Siri or some other system voice to text (like Maps) is speaking.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Anyone else have problems with the lightening to usb camera connection kit? I’ve been using it for a year or so now but in the last import I did, it missed the last photo of the import (and maybe others but I’m not sure). I always hit the delete button when I’m done importing so the photo is now gone.

I’m super pissed that I can’t trust this thing now, and I guess I’ll just have to leave my cameras sd card to fill up until I return home to a computer where I can compare and make sure it hasn’t missed anything. Argh.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My daughter has the original iPad mini. It is on the most current firmware for that model (9.3.5. It would appear)

I cannot connect to the iTunes or App Store at all. It says the Apple ID cannot connect to the Apple Server or something.

I can’t update her apps or buy new apps for her or anything. any ideas on how I might resolve?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Buy a newer one. Lots of apps are starting to require iOS 11 at a minimum.

Edit: try signing out of the App Store in settings and signing back in again.

Evis fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 26, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Evis posted:

Buy a newer one. Lots of apps are starting to require iOS 11 at a minimum.

Edit: try signing out of the App Store in settings and signing back in again.

She’s 3. If anything I’ll hand down my 5yo son’s mini 2 and upgrade him but I’d rather not... yet.

Signing out and in had no effect, but thanks for the suggestion.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Well, you could also try to reset the whole thing. That probably wouldn’t help. Is 2fa enabled on the account? Maybe there’s a compatibility issue that’s arisen between the current apple servers and iOS 9.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Evis posted:

Well, you could also try to reset the whole thing. That probably wouldn’t help. Is 2fa enabled on the account? Maybe there’s a compatibility issue that’s arisen between the current apple servers and iOS 9.

No 2FA. But good to know on looking into a potential incompatibility. Very weird. Thanks!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
IOS9 works on the App Store just fine.

Dumb suggestion but have you tried turning it off and on again? Seriously.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Maybe a dumb suggestion but it’s always a good one

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Evis posted:

Maybe a dumb suggestion but it’s always a good one

Yeah., I did that to no effect. I just erased network settings and now in iCloud settings I can opt to have a verification code sent to another device, but when it did it, I don’t know what device it may have sent it to, as it wasn’t her iPad or my iPhone.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I know this is an odd solution, but there was one time that I absolutely could not get a device to connect to the App Store, and then I power cycled my wireless router, and the App Store magically worked again.

Maybe give that a try? No idea if it’ll fix your issue.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Feenix posted:

She’s 3. If anything I’ll hand down my 5yo son’s mini 2 and upgrade him but I’d rather not... yet.

Signing out and in had no effect, but thanks for the suggestion.

Maybe it’s worth trading it in and seeing if that takes enough of the cost out, maybe for a refurb 3?

But I also get not wanting to upgrade it for lots of reasons.

Feenix posted:

now in iCloud settings I can opt to have a verification code sent to another device, but when it did it, I don’t know what device it may have sent it to, as it wasn’t her iPad or my iPhone.

Is the phone on the same WiFi network?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

e: nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’m between trading in my Air for a 2018 iPad or a 10.5” Pro (gonna wait until after the expected update if it happens this fall) with Pencil. I’m gonna take notes, annotate PDFs, and draw some simple things with it. I played with the 2018 and current Pro in store today and I think I’m ok with the non-laminated smaller display on the regular iPad but I’m not sure if I wouldn’t appreciate a Pro in the longer term.

Anybody have any opinions? I’m sure a bigger screen with no gap would be better in a lot of ways and people seem to love the refresh rate and the better speakers are cool but it’s almost 2x as expensive.