Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Working on that reasonable assumption, does faceid work in landscape mode? Because I never use my iPad in portrait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that is safe to assume.

I can't wait to see what the new Big pro looks like.

I wish I could go back and quote a post from the original iPad unveiling that was:

"So it's just a huge iPod Touch?" but fix it to "It's just a big iPhone X"

That said, I wonder if it'll have OLED screens or the screen of the XR.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thwomp posted:

I wish I could go back and quote a post from the original iPad unveiling that was:

"So it's just a huge iPod Touch?" but fix it to "It's just a big iPhone X"

That said, I wonder if it'll have OLED screens or the screen of the XR.

Holy poo poo can you imagine how expensive a 12.9 pro with an OLED screen will be? I mean I'm prob still gonna buy it but I'm gonna sure bitch about it!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Working on that reasonable assumption, does faceid work in landscape mode? Because I never use my iPad in portrait.

It does not.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Holy poo poo can you imagine how expensive a 12.9 pro with an OLED screen will be? I mean I'm prob still gonna buy it but I'm gonna sure bitch about it!!

It would make sense to put OLED in it and charge an extra $200-$300 given how Apple is moving towards devices with longer shelf-lives.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

FaceID doesn’t work in landscape on the X, and presumably doesn’t work on the new phones either.

In fact, the rumor regarding the new iPad is that it can only be used in portrait mode when attached to the keyboard. Why would they do that? Well, possibly because FaceID is lovely tech that can’t be used in landscape mode without putting extra sensors in landscape orientation also. This cuts into margins, which is very unApple.

Say what you want about Steve Jobs, but FaceID is that half-baked idea (like so many recent Apple ideas) that he would have killed before it saw the light of day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thwomp posted:

It would make sense to put OLED in it and charge an extra $200-$300 given how Apple is moving towards devices with longer shelf-lives.

True and my launch 12.9 pro is still kicking rear end and taking names.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

True and my launch 12.9 pro is still kicking rear end and taking names.

I think mine’s having touch issues every now and then but yeah it’s still huge, runs everything perfectly, and is an excellent companion to the iPhone. I do most of my job on it, it’s great.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Jesus, I will not upgrade my iPad until it literally won’t power on any more if they take away my home button.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
The iPad is still amazing hardware in search of an OS that doesn’t slow down everything I want to do.

And I’d still rather have a proper convertible clamshell form factor (Google Pixelbook) than any of the attachable keyboards on offer. I’d have thought that most people who want the pro would prefer a clamshell too.

FCKGW posted:

Swapped out my second iPad Pro under warranty for defective screen. Warranty is up next week so hopefully this is the last time!

Surely you have a fresh warranty every time they replace it, right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wooger posted:

The iPad is still amazing hardware in search of an OS that doesn’t slow down everything I want to do.

And I’d still rather have a proper convertible clamshell form factor (Google Pixelbook) than any of the attachable keyboards on offer. I’d have thought that most people who want the pro would prefer a clamshell too.

Surely you have a fresh warranty every time they replace it, right?

I think you get like 90 days on replaced hardware? Something like that.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

rio posted:

Jesus, I will not upgrade my iPad until it literally won’t power on any more if they take away my home button.

Like I can understand Face ID on a phone; it's a very personal device so locking it to one or two people isn't a huge deal. iPads tend to be a lot more communal with an entire family sharing a single one so that seems a less ideal use case.

I also can't believe they'd release FaceID for the iPad that doesn't support both landscape and portrait mode give that most iPad spend most of their time horizontal anyways.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I think you get like 90 days on replaced hardware? Something like that.
Yep. The original warranty only lasts until the end of the original purchase (one year, or two years with AppleCare). If you get a repair or replacement in that time, it has a warranty up to 90 days which can extend past the original if it expires in those 90 days. (Out of warranty work gives you a 90-day warranty.)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

fordan posted:

Like I can understand Face ID on a phone; it's a very personal device so locking it to one or two people isn't a huge deal. iPads tend to be a lot more communal with an entire family sharing a single one so that seems a less ideal use case.

I also can't believe they'd release FaceID for the iPad that doesn't support both landscape and portrait mode give that most iPad spend most of their time horizontal anyways.

The answer is simple: double notches.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thwomp posted:

The answer is simple: double notches.

You need notches on all sides, actually.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

fordan posted:

If they intended for multiple people to use the same iPad they would add some sort of multiuser mechanism to the iPad. (I really wish they would)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Apple: We don't know what we're doing with iPad multitasking for several years running.

Why on earth do they keep hiding the control center in different awkward ways every time

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Endless Mike posted:

Yep. The original warranty only lasts until the end of the original purchase (one year, or two years with AppleCare). If you get a repair or replacement in that time, it has a warranty up to 90 days which can extend past the original if it expires in those 90 days. (Out of warranty work gives you a 90-day warranty.)

Hmm, you’re right.

That said, it’s a bit less of a concern in the UK, as:

quote:

Under consumer laws in the UK, consumers are entitled to a free of charge repair or replacement, discount or refund by the seller, of defective goods or goods which do not conform with the contract of sale. For goods purchased in England or Wales, these rights expire six years from delivery of the goods

Part of the explanation behind the crazy EU price gouging.

They actually broke my phone when I got the battery replaced, and gave me a new one with a new warranty (or so I was told).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wooger posted:

Part of the explanation behind the crazy EU price gouging.

They actually broke my phone when I got the battery replaced, and gave me a new one with a new warranty (or so I was told).
No, the "price gouging" is due to VAT, which Apple has no control over. If you take it away, an iPad Pro 10.5 in the UK is only $27 more than in the US at current exchange rates.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Endless Mike posted:

No, the "price gouging" is due to VAT, which Apple has no control over. If you take it away, an iPad Pro 10.5 in the UK is only $27 more than in the US at current exchange rates.

Hmm, I make it more like +£28 GBP on the cheapest model.

IPhone XS plus 64GB is the exact same price in USD (pre tax) vs GBP (post tax), 1099.

At current exchange rates and 20% VAT that makes it about £100 extra in the UK.

Base MacBook Pro 15” is $2399 pre tax, vs. £2349 GBP, so an extra £160 ish after VAT is taken into account.

We’re getting gouged for some reason that isn’t VAT.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Why did they switch the stupid emoji button with the actually useful number shift button on the iPad keyboard? I keep switching to emojis when I want to type numbers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Why did they
You can pretty much stop right there.

Reasons.

Its loving annoying as hell too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

You can pretty much stop right there.

Reasons.

Its loving annoying as hell too.

They didn’t even do it on the phone, too. That’s such a “gently caress you” for when I switch devices.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, the guy explained the warranty on my replacement will be up in mid-December.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Oh god how do I turn off that wallpaper zoom when you return to the home screen, it’s making me motion sick af :barf:

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Reduce Motion

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

wooger posted:

Hmm, I make it more like +£28 GBP on the cheapest model.

IPhone XS plus 64GB is the exact same price in USD (pre tax) vs GBP (post tax), 1099.

At current exchange rates and 20% VAT that makes it about £100 extra in the UK.

Base MacBook Pro 15” is $2399 pre tax, vs. £2349 GBP, so an extra £160 ish after VAT is taken into account.

We’re getting gouged for some reason that isn’t VAT.

Import tariffs

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I have to deal with three different currencies and for me at least it’s just easier to charge people a juiced cost that builds in tariffs and currency fluctuations. Like I’m not trying to sell stuff and run a currency exchange. Sure people don’t get equitable prices across borders but I’d also have to see a pretty strong business case for doing so considering the work required to do so.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I suspect it's not tough to make a FaceID that works at all orientations. The iPad knows which side is 'up' at any particular time. You just have to flip or rotate whatever digital data is coming from the FaceID. It might take slightly longer, which is why they didn't include it in the phones since FaceID is already slower than TouchID. But by the time it comes out on an iPad they'll probably have that figured out.

Also iPads are allowed to have larger bezels. I'm not sure if it would even require a notch, so comedy 'Facetime on all four sides' is another possibility.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
weak sad brain: a bezel to implement orientation-independent touchid
Superior Ive Brain: four notches

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I could see them maybe keeping a thin bezel but having face ID in both orientations. :shrug:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Amazon's Fire phone had 5 cameras on the front. It's been done before it can be done again.

So much finger grease on your camera lenses.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Is there any way to hide the sidebar in the News app? I can’t find one.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Is there any way to hide the sidebar in the News app? I can’t find one.

Turn the iPad right side up. Unfortunately.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Super. So are Feedly or whatever worth using any more?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I use Reeder for my rss subscriptions but I use News for … well actual news. My rss subscriptions are mostly a lot of obscure stuff or blogs that aren’t on apple news.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Boris Galerkin posted:

I use Reeder for my rss subscriptions but I use News for … well actual news. My rss subscriptions are mostly a lot of obscure stuff or blogs that aren’t on apple news.

I really like feedly. It has everything I have ever looked up. I made the switch to iPad pro from a note 10.1 and don't regret it at all. A better experience overall so far. Especially with Lastpass integration.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sudo rm -rf posted:

why did they remove control center from the app switcher? feels dumb as hell

Yeah this was very disappointing. I get the why (it’s right where it is for the X and upcoming XS), but I liked it being in both.

I’m pretty sure Apple also just updated the keyboard where emoji is the far left, and 123 is one to the right. It’s already driving me crazy, I go to hit for numbers and I get all emojis. Muscle memory will eventually get it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The thing I don’t get is ... why?

How often would a person use emojis compared to numbers and symbols on an iPad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The thing I don’t get is ... why?

How often would a person use emojis compared to numbers and symbols on an iPad?

😂👌🏻💯