Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I'd just buy the $5 pack and try the game, it is a rather divisive game. The $25 pack does have some things you'll want if you stick with the game long term (namely the 2 value packs ($15 ea), the horse flute ($15), the pet ($9-$11 depending on which one), and the +8 inventory slots), but if you play the game less than a month you won't miss any of that stuff. Plus there is nothing included in the higher tier packs that can't be bought from the cash shop later if you like the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

If you don't want to pony up $5 here's a bunch of 7 day trials.

51B5C78-DJPJ21F-43KM1K4-23B6D
J03R3MV-CEB6KSL-4I644R3-H45DB
8I5BQ01-1EVDCQ8-G4CEAPG-KMF1R
RF75BII-4EE8E9S-30FSUOL-4L48M
BEVGMO9-IN91NSC-3CKR31A-B4V62
VR1N5UB-B6TG70O-79SBIE8-06RUQ
OUAT52M-UA0MG4P-A6ONGPS-G8LBN
76QUHQ2-Q8P4POU-28V76EQ-D6982

You can redeem it here.
https://www.blackdesertonline.com/shop/code

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
so i play the stupid conversation minigame and get my like factor above the level needed, how do i unlock the quest?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Cimber posted:

so i play the stupid conversation minigame and get my like factor above the level needed, how do i unlock the quest?

I think you may need to cancel out of the conversation then talk to them again

Luxily
Aug 11, 2012

Clocks posted:

Guilds are limited to 100 players so there's no such thing as a largest guild unless that's changed. (Though some guilds had multiple guilds for their "community" but that always led to discontent and drama and I'm not sure if the amount of players really supports that anymore.)

I still have this thread bookmarked and I love hearing about the game. :allears: I'm surprised it's not actually f2p yet so I guess they're still making money off losers willing to pay $30 to play a f2p game.

But we paid more for this f2p game :smithcloud:

cheesehead
Oct 15, 2008
after a long while of inactivity ive started playing playing again, and was looking for a goon guild, sad to read its dead, but i also read that a number of people have started playing again aswell? why not restart the guild?

Luxily
Aug 11, 2012

Rest In Peace GoonTang

The name finally changed.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Zarcnest posted:

But we paid more for this f2p game :smithcloud:

But I thought them charging $30 when every other version is f2p was going to improve the game???

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I guess it's like $10 now to get the game. Merger went well, got lots of free gifts and cash shop content by creating characters on all the servers, things are moving real loving fast on the auction house now, all is good. If you log in every day right now you get some sort of killer reward with this calendar event they have, so check it out if you have time.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

Enkmar posted:

I guess it's like $10 now to get the game. Merger went well, got lots of free gifts and cash shop content by creating characters on all the servers, things are moving real loving fast on the auction house now, all is good. If you log in every day right now you get some sort of killer reward with this calendar event they have, so check it out if you have time.

Rewards are great too, loving the merger. Now to find myself a good guild, been waiting for the merge before getting in one. The game's been great so far, I thought getting to 56 would be the worst but the grind has been reasonable if I used the 200% boost and grinded in helms.

Wizard's aoe is ridiculous and I love it.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'll give them credit, the Olvia servers are a really interesting idea. Basically, if you are new or have been gone for 30 days, you can log in to these servers that have a 200% exp boost. No world bosses or anything, but gives an incentive for someone who is thinking about coming back but worried about leveling. After 30 days you have to log in to the regular servers.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I picked this up because a friend recommended it during the Black Friday sale. Seems like it starts a bit slow as far as the tutorials and combat go, but when I actually get to go chop things it's pretty fun.

Only tried Blader so far as that is the class that stood out to me (along with Sorceress I guess) as being interesting. Weeabusa, the gooniest samurai.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Yeah at the 5-10$ pricepoint I think the game's worth a try, tho I can definitely understand the p2w critics with the whole pets being a requirement for drops grindings. Still greatly enjoying the game with a friend, and the levelling to 50 is quick enough for me to try out other classes and see how they work out.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Combat in this game is really fun, I just wish there was hard stuff. Group PvE is my group's jam, and... there wasn't any in it. Which is a shame because it's just a goddamn blast to play the characters. Each has their own style of action play and they all feel fast and kinetic and they're all so good to fight as, but there's no cool dungeons with cool boss mechanics to really let rip in.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
It's a record - I bounced off this game faster than Wildstar!

It's a mess of overly-complex systems.

I couldn't even figure out how to get a horse - getting a horse is so complex that the item I found to buy has a 5-step process in the description text. And it wasn't clear if I'd actually have a goddamn horse after spending the cash and following the steps.

I bought a worker, I think, but couldn't do anything with it? I got some trade materials and slowly staggered to the place I found to sell them. But when I got there, I got an error message that I couldn't sell these items for more than 30% until I activated another node (?) that I'd never been to. So I slowly started plodding towards the far node, then got beset by thieves after ~20 minutes of walking (about 5% of the total distance) and died because I couldn't use any abilities or figure out how to drop the pack.

Pretty much everything I tried to do was so needlessly complex that I just got annoyed. Except combat - that was so easy it got boring.

Not my thing, I guess.

OpticalRape
Nov 26, 2010
JOIN BAKA

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Thursday Next posted:

I couldn't even figure out how to get a horse - getting a horse is so complex that the item I found to buy has a 5-step process in the description text. And it wasn't clear if I'd actually have a goddamn horse after spending the cash and following the steps.

I bought a worker, I think, but couldn't do anything with it? I got some trade materials and slowly staggered to the place I found to sell them. But when I got there, I got an error message that I couldn't sell these items for more than 30% until I activated another node (?) that I'd never been to. So I slowly started plodding towards the far node, then got beset by thieves after ~20 minutes of walking (about 5% of the total distance) and died because I couldn't use any abilities or figure out how to drop the pack.

Pretty much everything I tried to do was so needlessly complex that I just got annoyed. Except combat - that was so easy it got boring.

Not my thing, I guess.

That's kinda what everybody liked about this game, that it didn't hold your hand through everything and it makes you spend time either figuring stuff out on your own, asking your buddies, or looking poo poo up online. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea though.

(also if you want a horse you can just go to the horse market and buy one, no complexity involved in going that route. taming wild horses and breeding them on the other hand...)

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

fletcher posted:

That's kinda what everybody liked about this game, that it didn't hold your hand through everything and it makes you spend time either figuring stuff out on your own, asking your buddies, or looking poo poo up online. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea though.

(also if you want a horse you can just go to the horse market and buy one, no complexity involved in going that route. taming wild horses and breeding them on the other hand...)

...I don't care if a game "holds my hand". Stop assuming I'm an idiot.

I'm saying that, as a brand new player, each system felt needlessly obtuse.

With one notable and good exception - combat felt deceptively simple. In a good way.

I don't know what a horse merchant is nor how to buy a horse. The donkey item I found in some npc vendor had no fewer than five esoteric steps listed on it. Would I get a mount I could ride at the end? I don't know! Do you? Would I have gotten a rideable mount if I followed the five steps listed?

Contrast to other games: buy skill, buy mount. Or just: buy mount. Done.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thursday Next posted:

With one notable and good exception - combat felt deceptively simple. In a good way.

I don't know what a horse merchant is nor how to buy a horse. The donkey item I found in some npc vendor had no fewer than five esoteric steps listed on it. Would I get a mount I could ride at the end? I don't know! Do you? Would I have gotten a rideable mount if I followed the five steps listed?

You do in fact get a mount at the end of it. But donkeys suck and you should get a horse or better a horse and a wagon. Getting a mount wasnt that confusing tbh, youre overthinking it.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
it was a bit more confusing than the usual "buy mount item, right click it, be on mount" routine iirc

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Thursday Next posted:

Not my thing, I guess.

You can do it!!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Thursday Next posted:

Have you ever played Eve Online?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Thursday Next posted:

Yes, other games that hold your hand and treat you like an idiot.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
Does that mean this game treats you like a genius?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

my nigga have you tried smoking crack?

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Yeah, I can totally see where you're coming from. There is so much poo poo in this game that it is mind boggling at first. I had to take a step back from my normal "jump right the gently caress in and do everything efficiently" to more of a "learn and do things one at a time" approach.

Don't worry too much about leveling/grinding. You'll get levels pretty fast upto level 55, and then you'll be grinding pretty religiously, so don't worry about it too much. Check out this video if you still need help though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V53QO_-OKUo

One thing I would pay attention to early on in the game is your contribution. More importantly, how you spend it. I wish I would have known more about this early on as I could have been afk gathering resources from day one.Some of this is more end game/marketplace/crafting stuff, but you can still use this video to find ways to spend your contribution on things that will net you good money even if you don't craft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rI_P_wgES0

You don't even have to necessarily be a high level character to do end game activities. There are life skills that you can do starting from leveling 1. Being higher level just makes it easier for you to get access to resources for life skills. I also spent an entire day just exploring, and I didn't even get to touch Valencia content or explore it yet. I just unlocked the node entrance to the desert.

So just don't get overwhelmed, and take it a step at a time. Also, gently caress this game, it's pay2win, and a giant piece of poo poo, and has anime weeabos, and

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

fletcher posted:

Have you ever played Eve Online?

Exactly what I was gonna say.

Honestly Eve is kind of like the best worst game in existence tbqh.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

yo mamma a Horus posted:

Does that mean this game treats you like a genius?

No but you need more then a pulse to play it.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Exactly what I was gonna say.

Honestly Eve is kind of like the best worst game in existence tbqh.

Pretty much. And I bet eve has more players then this game and will last longer. :laffo:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Holyshoot posted:

Pretty much. And I bet eve has more players then this game and will last longer. :laffo:

Sorry you can't figure out mounts dude! gently caress off though

The Ninja is awakening is coming out tomorrow, people about to get hosed UP

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Enkmar posted:

Sorry you can't figure out mounts dude! gently caress off though

The Ninja is awakening is coming out tomorrow, people about to get hosed UP

I figured out mounts just fine when I played this game 6 months ago. :shrug:

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

No but you need more then a pulse to play it.

Well considering EVE has been around since 2003 this isn't really a bold prediction here friend. Anyway I keep getting the urge to reinstall this garbage and I don't know why. My guild, Starfleet Dental, has long left the game and I hate grinding. Why do I want to play this? Tell me not to waste my time again please.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BubbaGrace posted:

Well considering EVE has been around since 2003 this isn't really a bold prediction here friend. Anyway I keep getting the urge to reinstall this garbage and I don't know why. My guild, Starfleet Dental, has long left the game and I hate grinding. Why do I want to play this? Tell me not to waste my time again please.

If you hate grinding, don't waste your time. Even going in, it's advertised as a game about grinding.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BubbaGrace posted:

I mean sure, you can grind all you want, if that's what you're into.

I hate grinding, so I just don't do it. I've been to pirates once just to see where it was (and gently caress going back, fuckin boat ride is so slow). I've spent all of about an hour in Sausans, despite having a level 10 node for it. I hit level 56 recently and it's all just from doing quests and some guild missions here and there (30 min of grinding like every other week).

I've got 180ap, 220dp (iirc) so I'm not exactly super geared, but I'm still having fun with the game and haven't burned out on it. I still only play like 15-20 min a day with an hour or two session once every other week.

I mean just look at these loving XP charts: http://smitedatamining.com/black-desert-online-exp-table-charts/

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

I think I am Level 54. Did they make it so crafting is actually a viable profession now? Production, nodes and things like that were what I was excited about with this game. Before I quit I was doing a bunch of cooking and making pretty decent money. I got burned out though because what I was making required a massive amount of gathering, crafting and cooking prerequisite ingredients.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

BubbaGrace posted:

I think I am Level 54. Did they make it so crafting is actually a viable profession now? Production, nodes and things like that were what I was excited about with this game. Before I quit I was doing a bunch of cooking and making pretty decent money. I got burned out though because what I was making required a massive amount of gathering, crafting and cooking prerequisite ingredients.

If you know how to use Excel, then it's pretty easy to make money AFK crafting in this game.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
The best thing about this game is the band that plays in the starter coastal town

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

the best thing about this game is how i very early on realized it was awful

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
Is anyone in GoonTang or whatever the new name is able to invite?

After we merged into Trucidation and that fell apart, I stuck with Trucidation just for the passive guild skill points but they're shuttering the doors and I'm about to be homeless.
There were a few other guys that were just casually playing and also looking for a guild.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Anyone got any working seven day codes? I wanna try this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Captainsalami posted:

Anyone got any working seven day codes? I wanna try this.

Here you go.

46EHS41-2J66AMT-K03STJ1-4VS8T
U325GS7-M3UB74O-IQALU1P-SUEPD
DUKULQK-7RBAOR7-GITPQUV-KUBO9
NC6J1PR-25GE927-70UFREF-FA02V
VNDUDO4-ANCD2J0-Q15KC36-50BSH
KLIFR7B-6GF524O-APGFK2T-8F5KJ
2R9QR9D-MOV3O2N-ACBSLE6-RVOOJ