Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rad. I love Phenomena btw. That movie was the loving best. So I dipped my toes a bit into Argento.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

I was gonna watch the remake first, but I might just watch Suspiria tonight. I have no idea what it's about other than lots and lots of colors. And Goblin music.

Dude holy gently caress you are going to love Suspiria

You basically stole its aesthetic by accident for your toy photos

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Since we were talking about deliberately unpleasant horror films a few pages ago, what's the consensus on Blood Sucking Freaks?

Like the other poster said, it's incredibly sleazy. And mean-spirited. And misogynistic. But it's also really fun to watch. Like imagine if somebody tried to combine The Wizard of Gore with Microwave Massacre but actually made it work somehow?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Bloodsucking Freaks is the kind of movie where Rob Zombie would actually be a good choice for a remake. And if it happened, Nic Cage would have to play Sardu.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Origami Dali posted:

Bloodsucking Freaks is the kind of movie where Rob Zombie would actually be a good choice for a remake. And if it happened, Nic Cage would have to play Sardu.

Lol at the idea of Rob Zombie casting actual actors.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

His whole casts are nothing but awesome underrated character actors. Wtf.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They're his wife and his horror convention buddies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bill Mosley loving rules dude.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

They're his wife and his horror convention buddies.

If my horror con buddies were Richard Brake and Bill Moseley and Sid Haig I'd cast them in a heartbeat too

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yes, those Not-Real Actors like Karen Black, Malcolm McDowell, Brad Dourif, Richard Brake, Sid Haig, Ken Foree, Meg Foster...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Lol at the idea of Rob Zombie casting actual actors.

He already had Cage in his Grindhouse trailer.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

ruddiger posted:

He already had Cage in his Grindhouse trailer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I shouldn't have said actual actors. All those guys are talented in their own right. What I should've said is he'd never cast Nic Cage when he could cast Ken Foree.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 21, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If my horror con buddies were Richard Brake and Bill Moseley and Sid Haig I'd cast them in a heartbeat too

Yea I mean if we're gonna discount guys like that or William Forsythe or Brad Dourif or Malcom Mcdowell then no, Zombie doesn't cast real actors. He does cast his wife a lot, that much we know. Cage seems like someone he'd probably jump at the chance to work with actually.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

King Vidiot posted:

Like the other poster said, it's incredibly sleazy. And mean-spirited. And misogynistic. But it's also really fun to watch.

I'll level with you, that doesn't sound fun at all.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sheri Moon Zombie owns so I don't see why putting her in all his movies is a bad thing. I don't particularly care for his films myself, but the acting isn't generally the issue I have with them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I mean if we're gonna discount guys like that or William Forsythe or Brad Dourif or Malcom Mcdowell then no, Zombie doesn't cast real actors. He does cast his wife a lot, that much we know. Cage seems like someone he'd probably jump at the chance to work with actually.

Technically they already did!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xynLdCh2Uss

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'll level with you, that doesn't sound fun at all.

You'd think that, buuuut...

Yeah, it's not a movie to recommend to anybody or really admit that you've watched. It's hard to explain the "tone" too, like it's mean-spirited but so campy that it feels toothless? It almost feels like a parody of a Herschel Gordon Lewis movie, like obviously The Wizard of Gore is the main influence but it takes the idea of just gore-for-the-sake-of-gore and takes it to really disgusting places. But the gore is by no means realistic, we're still talking bright reddish pink corn syrup and really bad looking prosthetics.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Fun Fact, Bloodsucking Freaks was the first film that Troma distributed rather than shot themselves. Something like 85-90% of their films are not actually made by them, despite what some think.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, it's not a movie to recommend to anybody or really admit that you've watched. It's hard to explain the "tone" too, like it's mean-spirited but so campy that it feels toothless? It almost feels like a parody of a Herschel Gordon Lewis movie, like obviously The Wizard of Gore is the main influence but it takes the idea of just gore-for-the-sake-of-gore and takes it to really disgusting places. But the gore is by no means realistic, we're still talking bright reddish pink corn syrup and really bad looking prosthetics.

I honestly find the brain-sucking scene really genuinely awful and disturbing, despite not really thinking the rest of the gore in it is particularly disturbing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

King Vidiot posted:

Trying to explain the tone of BSF is tough, but yeah. I mean, you have women in cages being tortured and murdered for entertainment, being used as sex objects and furniture. But then you have an art critic being kidnapped in public by the brilliant plan of being flashed by a chick in a trenchcoat wearing a strapon so that a dwarf can tranquilize him with a blowdart. It's.... something else.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Bloodsucking Freaks was a movie our circle of friends all saw when we were like 15 and my friends started a horror-punk band called The Bloodsucking Geeks, it fuckin' owned.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

DrNutt posted:

Sheri Moon Zombie owns so I don't see why putting her in all his movies is a bad thing. I don't particularly care for his films myself, but the acting isn't generally the issue I have with them.

I think it's because Rob Zombie seems to want to point out he has a hot wife. It explains why she's cast all the time and why her scenes are purely focused and shot around her.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Brotherhood of the Wolf is a stealth adaption of Soul Calibre and it's amazing.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Hollismason posted:

General Mills is taking pitches for Boo Berry, Franken Berry, and Count Chocula animated movies.

Here's the website

https://www.workwiththemonsters.com/

Working on my pitch now.

That’s weird considering that this season, mo matter how many stores I went to I couldn’t find one loving box of monster cereal. I’m still angry about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Justin Godscock posted:

I think it's because Rob Zombie seems to want to point out he has a hot wife. It explains why she's cast all the time and why her scenes are purely focused and shot around her.

I think he just does a bunch of films with a female protagonist. Which could be a thing about him or could just be that horror has a lot of movies about female protagonists.

I mean, when his filmmaking career started I definitely thought it was a vanity thing to make his wife a star, and it maybe/probably was. But at this stage its clear he likes working with the people he likes (and they seem to as well) so its not that much stranger than Bill Moseley or Sid Haig.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

DrNutt posted:

I think she's kind of grating in HO1KC, but it's probably a combination of how the character is written and her being relatively new to film. She's not really turned in a bad performance since then, and has at least always been interesting at the very least. I won't say that Rob Zombie's writing has gotten better, but it's gotten more confident and has become defined enough that you know what you're gonna get when you buy a ticket.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man I never even said it was a bad thing.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

When did Annihilation get pulled off of Netflix?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was only on UK Netflix IIRC

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Justin Godscock posted:

To be fair, he does. :shrug:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've seen so many goddamn movies in 2018 and still nothing's knocked Annihilation out of my top 10 of the year

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've seen so many goddamn movies in 2018 and still nothing's knocked Annihilation out of my top 10 of the year

As strange as this might sound I do wish it got just a little more weird with it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if it wasnt for Mandy and Halloween 2018, Annihilation would easily have had the best score

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

General Mills is taking pitches for Boo Berry, Franken Berry, and Count Chocula animated movies.

Here's the website

https://www.workwiththemonsters.com/

Working on my pitch now.

Boo Berry better sound like Peter Lorre. Actually maybe just Rotoscope Boo Berry into M, that’d be fun.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Origami Dali posted:

Trying to explain the tone of BSF is tough, but yeah. I mean, you have women in cages being tortured and murdered for entertainment, being used as sex objects and furniture. But then you have an art critic being kidnapped in public by the brilliant plan of being flashed by a chick in a trenchcoat wearing a strapon so that a dwarf can tranquilize him with a blowdart. It's.... something else.

It's one of those sleezy skuzzy films where if you go in prepared for that, it's fine. When you're not, you kinda feel like you need a shower after watching it.

Null of Undefined posted:

That’s weird considering that this season, mo matter how many stores I went to I couldn’t find one loving box of monster cereal. I’m still angry about it.

You weren't the only one who couldn't find a box. I eventually hit all the stores except for Whole Foods and Trader Joe's within reasonable commute and nothing.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I honestly find the brain-sucking scene really genuinely awful and disturbing, despite not really thinking the rest of the gore in it is particularly disturbing.

Even Sardu and his lil' buddy, who spend the movie doing terrible things to a lot of people, were like "Yeah, no, this is too much" when that doctor starts a-suckin'.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

My pitch is gonna involve Simon Belmunch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
“You know what’s really scary? How nice my wife’s rear end looks.” -Robert Zombie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

"Hire Frank Henenlotter."

I hope that counts as a pitch.

CEREAL BOX CASE