Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

does anyone have links to an English version of this movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H1FXoiNHEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

frankee posted:

does anyone have links to an English version of this movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H1FXoiNHEY

No, but I'll help you by saying that the English title is Tom Thumb.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Can't agree on the Michael Landon werewolf, though. For a low budget that was pretty cool. I honestly kinda like the werewolves that aren't wolf-shaped at all but just guys with weird fuzzy heads.

Yeah good ol'fashioned wolfmen are neat. These days it's all wolfwolves.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Origami Dali posted:

I've never seen My Soul to Take. Worth the effort to even press play?

not really, it has its moments but overall is a dull mess. I watch a lot of bad horror movies but usually they can be entertaining anyway, My Soul to Take is just boring bad.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I finally got around to watching Jean Epstein's 1928 adaptation of The Fall of the House of Usher. Man this poo poo was GREAT. Really atmospheric and unsettling and a little avant garde. I got Vampyr vibes. The editing and camera work is top notch. If you're at all interested in silent horror this is among the best.

Thanks to Fran for pointing out this decent YouTube version (the French intertitles are read out loud in English):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgJfLrWQpc

e: oh poo poo it's one of Ebert's Great Movies! https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-fall-of-the-house-of-usher-1928

e e: Ebert just informed me that the assistant director on the film was Luis Bunuel. No wonder I loved this so much.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 20, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah good ol'fashioned wolfmen are neat. These days it's all wolfwolves.

I know the budget would be nuts but it'd be cool to have one setting with werewolves where both old fashioned wolfman kinda werewolves, the more animalistic giant monster werewolves, and not quite wolf-looking werewolves all exist at once or something like the old Werewolf RPG where a single werewolf can turn into the huge feral berserker animal kind of wolf monster but also turn into an in between thing that's more like a typical classic wolfman. Bloodborne has this variety and it's awesome, like these and many more are all from the same place and it fuckin' rules:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

NYC Horror Goons: I can't make it but there's still seats available at the Alamo in Brooklyn if you want to see COMBAT SHOCK, the director will be there also to do a Q&A:

https://drafthouse.com/nyc/show/combat-shock

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Combat Shock is great its like if you dragged Eraserhead through a field of grime and crust

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Neo Rasa posted:

I know the budget would be nuts but it'd be cool to have one setting with werewolves where both old fashioned wolfman kinda werewolves, the more animalistic giant monster werewolves, and not quite wolf-looking werewolves all exist at once or something like the old Werewolf RPG where a single werewolf can turn into the huge feral berserker animal kind of wolf monster but also turn into an in between thing that's more like a typical classic wolfman. Bloodborne has this variety and it's awesome, like these and many more are all from the same place and it fuckin' rules:

Bloodborne is the loving best. I still need to see Brotherhood of the Wolf, which I’ve heard is a clear inspiration for some aspects of BB

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Bloodborne is the loving best. I still need to see Brotherhood of the Wolf, which I’ve heard is a clear inspiration for some aspects of BB

Assuming you’re talking about the 2001 French movie I don’t really see how that’s possible. Big spoiler: theres nothing supernatural in the movie.

But then again I don’t really know much about Bloodborne.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Drunkboxer posted:

Assuming you’re talking about the 2001 French movie I don’t really see how that’s possible. Big spoiler: theres nothing supernatural in the movie.

But then again I don’t really know much about Bloodborne.

The trench coat/tricorner hat ensemble of the lead is almost dead on recreated in Bloodborne. And it borrows a lot of its general atmosphere.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to show You're Next for my next spooky night, for Thanksgiving.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I'm going to show You're Next for my next spooky night, for Thanksgiving.

I saw this in theaters and loved it at the time, probably due for a revisit soon.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Neo Rasa posted:

I was rather surprised when I finally hit Vibora Bay in Champions Online that the werewolf and vampire gangs varied with all the styles of the type. Yeah, it's an old game with dated graphics, but I thought it was a nice touch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tolkien minority posted:

I saw this in theaters and loved it at the time, probably due for a revisit soon.

Same. The sound design in theaters was phenomenal. I swear I heard someone sit down beside me in the theater and no one was there, and then I read about other people experiencing the same thing at the same moment. I think I saw it twice.

I may have to show Ginger Snaps instead, since they seem to want a werewolf movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

You’re Next is great because its entire concept is based on “what if the final girl was as capable as she is in the last five minutes of every other slasher, but for the entire movie,” and it never cheaply undercuts her agency.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Fart City posted:

The trench coat/tricorner hat ensemble of the lead is almost dead on recreated in Bloodborne. And it borrows a lot of its general atmosphere.

Yeah, not so much direct plot inspiration from what I’ve heard but the atmosphere and aesthetic of Bloodborne is like a solid third of why it’s great so I’m sold on that alone

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fart City posted:

You’re Next is great because its entire concept is based on “what if the final girl was as capable as she is in the last five minutes of every other slasher, but for the entire movie,” and it never cheaply undercuts her agency.

Also you get to see a bunch of smug upper class fuckwads get murdered, which is pretty cathartic in 2018. "Looking for the Magic" might be one of my favorite songs now thanks to this movie. Joe Swanberg is hands down the funniest person in the movie and is just the best, especially if you're watching for the second time.

Watched Maniac (1934) from one of those 50 movie "classic" horror collections and it was uh, something else. I have to admit I was pretty surprised to see a couple tits pop out, I'm guessing it was a pre-Hayes code movie or something (I'm not really up on my Hollywood censorship history)? The animal stuff was pretty disturbing given the time it was made, too. Not really much there to recommend except maybe for seeing an early Phyllis Diller, and the bizarre acting choices of the male lead.

e: It was mentioned on this page but anyone who hasn't seen Brotherhood of the Wolf needs to see that, BB fan or not. It's great and I am very happy to be reminded it exists because I am due for a rewatch.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Yeah, not so much direct plot inspiration from what I’ve heard but the atmosphere and aesthetic of Bloodborne is like a solid third of why it’s great so I’m sold on that alone

Pretty much, From Software is amazing.

Even going back to their old King's Field games, long before Dark Souls 1 was out, they've always done this thing where they have a game that starts out like a dark fantasy kinda game, and in as it goes on kind of veers into Lovecraftian other worlds mankind is nothing etc. great old ones kinda imagery and stuff. But Bloodborne is amazing because it similarly starts out like it's a dark fantasy game about werewolves, but then it speeds off a cliff into the spoilered territory relatively early on in ways that still thematically connect with everything going on in the early games' stuff and monster designs and everything while also goes further with the latter than any of their other games, it's a genuine accomplishment. Dark Souls has more cultural cachet because it was many players' first exposure to From Software at all and there's three of them, but Bloodborne is basically their ultimate game on every level - even down to how the player character is a human but the combat is changed to favor ferocity and a cornered animal mentality. Amazing sounding soundtrack too because they got a full orchestra and choir to record it with.

I wish more action horror games would get made like that, Resident Evil 4, Dead Space, DOOM, Devil May Cry 1, etc. where there's way more going on with the design of it all than just shooting zombies.

Also this:

DrNutt posted:

e: It was mentioned on this page but anyone who hasn't seen Brotherhood of the Wolf needs to see that, BB fan or not. It's great and I am very happy to be reminded it exists because I am due for a rewatch.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 20, 2018

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ha, I didn't even realize people that failed the challenge got a custom av, I usually have them turned off.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

STAC Goat posted:

It actually ended up depressing me a tiny bit that it felt like Craven's last attempt at making something new to add to his list but that didn't have the drive or skill to follow through on.

Yeesh, this was my exact worry.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

Yeesh, this was my exact worry.

Cursed was also depressing when I watched it in October, because Craven is so clearly just trying to reproduce the success of Scream in a different horror subgenre and it's all so annoyingly transparent. The cast, the opening scene, and then especially the whodunit aspect of the plot that seemed lifted wholesale from Scream/slasher/giallo and just came off as uninspired and lazy. Throw in some of the shittiest werewolf scenes ever and it's just not a film I'd ever recommend for any reason.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Basebf555 posted:

Cursed was also depressing when I watched it in October, because Craven is so clearly just trying to reproduce the success of Scream in a different horror subgenre and it's all so annoyingly transparent. The cast, the opening scene, and then especially the whodunit aspect of the plot that seemed lifted wholesale from Scream/slasher/giallo and just came off as uninspired and lazy. Throw in some of the shittiest werewolf scenes ever and it's just not a film I'd ever recommend for any reason.

Tbf, Cursed had a notoriously hosed production to the point where Craven was ready to give up movies entirely. I remember reading an interview with him at the time where he was throwing massive shade toward the Weinsteins for it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Didn’t Curse have like, a significant amount of its runtime reshot? I remember there being a kerfluffel because Rick Baker did the effects work and it either got ditched or covered with cgi or something becauee of the reshoots? Am I remembering this right?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Fart City posted:

Didn’t Curse have like, a significant amount of its runtime reshot? I remember there being a kerfluffel because Rick Baker did the effects work and it either got ditched or covered with cgi or something becauee of the reshoots? Am I remembering this right?

Yup.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Imagine having the talents of Rick Baker available to you and then choosing to do what they did in Cursed:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

Imagine having the talents of Rick Baker available to you and then choosing to do what they did in Cursed:

Gravedale High reboot lookin iffy

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

Not horror but horror-adjacent, does anyone have reccomendations for stuff like Deadbeat at Dawn? I'm always on the lookout for horror/exploitation/action movies that can be described using the words "crusty", "grimy", "scummy", etc.

Tenement (1985) immediately comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvZVy4rz5v4

I love Deadbeat at Dawn. Really, it's proto-Mandy.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Guys I have a confession...I really love The Green Inferno and I have no idea why.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Since we were talking about deliberately unpleasant horror films a few pages ago, what's the consensus on Blood Sucking Freaks?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Since we were talking about deliberately unpleasant horror films a few pages ago, what's the consensus on Blood Sucking Freaks?

I prefer to stay away from my exes.

:rimshot:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's absolute sleazeball trash and I like it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gaz2k21 posted:

Guys I have a confession...I really love The Green Inferno and I have no idea why.

you get to see a bunch of jerks get eaten, albeit eventually, so it has that going for it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

Eh, it's too polished and the young adults in it are too cartoony to be taken as anything other than goofy parodies. The guy jerking off in the cage while his cellmate got slaughtered and eaten is so Eli Roth it's embarrassing. I'd rather watch one of the og cannibal movies like Cannibal Holocaust or Devil Hunter if I had to choose.

I recently watched Mike's Mondo Video for the first time and because of that I've been rewatching a lot of the original Mondo movies lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTmN3N5v0W4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Nxl4YokmE

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 21, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
General Mills is taking pitches for Boo Berry, Franken Berry, and Count Chocula animated movies.

Here's the website

https://www.workwiththemonsters.com/

Working on my pitch now.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The breakfast cereal expanded universe. They already did that poo poo w Foodfight

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So who's going to just send them that one webcomic from a while ago? the one about all the breakfast mascots in a Watchmen style story

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Someone here with artistic talent redraw them as new and edgy Namaste .

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was gonna watch the remake first, but I might just watch Suspiria tonight. I have no idea what it's about other than lots and lots of colors. And Goblin music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I was gonna watch the remake first, but I might just watch Suspiria tonight. I have no idea what it's about other than lots and lots of colors. And Goblin music.

That's all you really need to know.