Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Dr.Smasher posted:

Killer7 also has the most intense stair climbing music ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJO8uo3UMko

I made this my ringtone back when customs ringtones was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My ringtone is a bit of The Synapse from Deus Ex

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Waltzing Along posted:

This is how we ended up with "gods perfect console" or whatever ridiculousness they call it.

I haven’t heard of this what is it? If it’s perfect then it must be good right?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
god's perfect console.... ouya?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Some Nintendo POS with no games.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

I made this my ringtone back when customs ringtones was a thing.
Custom ringtones are still a thing, don't be a slave to fads that say otherwise!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Serephina posted:

Custom ringtones are still a thing, don't be a slave to fads that say otherwise!

my phone has been set to silent since the Obama administration

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I play games for the engaging stories. Video games are a great medium for storytelling and some of them easily reach the same quality and emotional impact as mov-ahahahaha

I agree with this. Did you see Avatar 2?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

People always talk about that drat rave song but Killer7 has way better atmosphere tracks that rule hard as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKZtM8Ek28s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0I42R0pcoI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbh0FXaD6_0

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

Okami is bad only because it takes like 5 hours for the game to even begin.

Then the rest is typical (if not gorgeous) PS2 game.

i’ve tried to play that game multiple times and have never been able to get through the intro

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I never liked Cave Story even if I find it incredibly funny that to save a characters life you have to leave them to die rather than help them.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Okami is insanely, brutally slow, but was atmospherically and artistically arresting in a way that could really grab you in 2006. Nowadays there's basically nothing about it that you can't get from better games.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'd rather play Twilight Princess again and that's saying something, that game is some boring poo poo.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'd rather play Twilight Princess again and that's saying something, that game is some boring poo poo.

man there were some brutal game openings in those days, huh

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The TP opening isn't that bad, really. I have been replaying it and it was much better the 2nd time. I think I was done with the first dungeon around the 2 hour mark.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
They say every game is someone’s first game but screw those people. Sink or swim kids if you can’t figure out Morrowind up here with us big boys you need to go back to Pong and Space Invaders till you can.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Killer7 is the best game that I would recommend to nobody

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I own that poo poo on Steam I should replay it. I 100% it more than once on OG GC with the extra new game plus mode

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Half of the best Silent Hill music just seems to be a riff on Harold Budd style compositions lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I remember playing twilight princess not too long ago and the movement just felt like complete rear end. Usually Nintendo games at least feel good to play even if they're incredibly boring, but not twilight princess no.. janky garbage. And then they give you to metal boots which make you move even worse lol. Almost threw the entire wii in the bin

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Beartaco posted:

I agree with this. Did you see Avatar 2?

I don't own a tv :shrug:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

My ringtone is a bit of The Synapse from Deus Ex

Acapella version of the Katamari Damacy thene here.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Audible ringtones are violence

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Unpopular opinion: Nothing specific to video games as such but I really hate spoiler culture in general. A story that is only enjoyable because of a SHOCKING TWIST!! is a poor quality story. Bare murder mysteries with no other compelling story telling devices are not and never will be art.

Make an interesting world, make interesting characters with interesting and realistic motivations and interactions. Then throw in some SHOCKING TWIST!!s for the MCU-brained parts of your audience, sure, whatever, but keep it as a side dish for a solid and balanced main course.

I'm not going to unilaterally do it but if people stopped giving a poo poo about spoilers in general then maybe we would see entertainment media start to produce better stories over time.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Incredibly hosed up to have a custom ringtone in 2023, do you both also still have like cellphone charms and ride around in Heelys??

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Sapozhnik posted:

Unpopular opinion: Nothing specific to video games as such but I really hate spoiler culture in general. A story that is only enjoyable because of a SHOCKING TWIST!! is a poor quality story. Bare murder mysteries with no other compelling story telling devices are not and never will be art.

Make an interesting world, make interesting characters with interesting and realistic motivations and interactions. Then throw in some SHOCKING TWIST!!s for the MCU-brained parts of your audience, sure, whatever, but keep it as a side dish for a solid and balanced main course.

I'm not going to unilaterally do it but if people stopped giving a poo poo about spoilers in general then maybe we would see entertainment media start to produce better stories over time.

Word. I kinda enjoy the reddit and youtube comment people who are like "hello, spoilers?" cuz I can just be like "Arthur dies and you have to play as John." and they will go on a page long screed about how messed up that it is to spoil anything for anybody and then I can say "Aeris gets killed. Shut up." and they'll get more mad.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

It seems like a really good writing exercise to assume that the reader knows all the story beats in advance, or is reading/watching for the second time.

I almost never rewatch/read stuff, but I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I’ve rewatched Terrace House (a Japanese reality show) a bunch of times. I think the reason why is because real people are wayyyyy more complex than stories (yeah yeah reality shows aren’t totally organic, but still moreso than a fully scripted show). So even though I know what will happen, people are super weird and do stuff that doesn’t make sense, so I find myself noticing new things on every rewatch about what might motivate someone to do something.

I find the most rewatchable stories have this quality - where characters do stuff that doesn’t necessarily make perfect narrative sense and you can wonder forever about exactly what they were thinking to make them do something

giogadi fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 6, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Because there's a lot of fun in going through a story blind and not knowing what's going to happen? In Jekyll and Hyde the first half of the book is a mystery story told from his friend's perspective and all the intrigue there is lost to the ages because everyone knows what the answer is. The work still stands with the spoiler, but not as tall as it should.

And even in non mystery stuff you lose a lot of the tension of wondering how our heroes will get out of this one if you already know that.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I’m not saying there isn’t value in mystery and surprise! But I find myself ruminating more on the stories that also remain interesting even after the surprises are taken away.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Konar posted:

Incredibly hosed up to have a custom ringtone in 2023, do you both also still have like cellphone charms and ride around in Heelys??

It takes about 2 minutes to make and set your own ringtone on iOS, and about 5 seconds on Android. Paying for ringtones is the hosed up thing.

It's absurd to set your ringtone as like a pop song or whatever. I rarely, if ever, leave my phone off silent but my ringtone is a snippet from the Kingdom Hearts menu song (Dearly Beloved, I think), and my SO's is the main theme from Howl's Moving Castle.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i have the MGS codec sounds and ! noise as my ringtones and notifications like the basic bitch i am

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Wondering what happens next is basically one of the most fundamental motivations for engaging in storytelling and had been since human beings began inventing oral fictions, I dunno why people are suddenly acting like this isn't the case.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nioh did not take long to render me a broken, defeated man.

But I really think I got it this time.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I was expecting hogwarts legacy to be bad but I was not expecting the reviews to be this masks off

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
lol

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

jokes posted:

It takes about 2 minutes to make and set your own ringtone on iOS, and about 5 seconds on Android. Paying for ringtones is the hosed up thing.

It's absurd to set your ringtone as like a pop song or whatever. I rarely, if ever, leave my phone off silent but my ringtone is a snippet from the Kingdom Hearts menu song (Dearly Beloved, I think), and my SO's is the main theme from Howl's Moving Castle.

having the literal default ringtone sucks because tons of other people have the exact same ringtone and it's hard to tell when a timer or alarm going off is yours or someone else's
i just set mine to one of the 20 other prebaked ones that came with the phone iirc
but i have the thing on vibrate 95% of the time anyway

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hogwarts Legacy looks good and playing it doesn't make you a bad person.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Waltzing Along posted:

The books are complete poo poo and adults should have been embarrassed to read them long before she was outed as a terf

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The less I have to read about this potter character the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

:wrong: