Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Nitramster posted:

Got any Craigslist links!?

Bah...all you need is $500 and a general air of invincibility and you too could be standing in the winner's circle next to the Corona chick with the hot rear end:

http://jalopnik.com/5497042/how-a-500-craigslist-car-beat-400k-rally-racers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Marv Hushman posted:

Bah...all you need is $500 and a general air of invincibility and you too could be standing in the winner's circle next to the Corona chick with the hot rear end:

http://jalopnik.com/5497042/how-a-500-craigslist-car-beat-400k-rally-racers

Jesus this dude rules, what a crazy race

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

I'm interested in how much you guys think this should go for. I'm going to go check it out soon to see if the carbs are totally hosed and I text'd the guy to figure out the miles but he doesn't know them. I was thinking of offering $1200.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/3097822539.html

I've been looking at forums and stuff but is there anything I should be looking for in particular when I look at it? Is the price I'm offering fair?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Just put cash down on this lovely. Sorting out paperwork nightmare tomorrow.

It's been parked for 3 years (new dad.) It runs, barely - all electrics work. Carbs must be gunked as hell though, it won't do high revs without warming up and tries to stall. Starts right up with full choke.

Also needs new chain and sprockets, new tires (just old, not worn.)

For some reason, it doesn't have a drat center stand. Deleted or just didn't come with one like the 91 Zephyr I had in the UK?

But, for $550 CAD, I can live with all of that. :)

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Tavistock posted:

I'm interested in how much you guys think this should go for. I'm going to go check it out soon to see if the carbs are totally hosed and I text'd the guy to figure out the miles but he doesn't know them. I was thinking of offering $1200.

I've been looking at forums and stuff but is there anything I should be looking for in particular when I look at it? Is the price I'm offering fair?

Seems like a nice Virago. However.

YMMV, but I found the last Yamaha I had of that vintage and size pretty gutless. You'll want to take it for a ride and see what it's like at highway speeds if that's important to you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Backov posted:

But, for $550 CAD, I can live with all of that. :)
I agree. Good deal. :)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Tavistock posted:

For some reason, the only good thing I get from this ad is a chunka chunka guitar riff. Jeebus, can we go back to 2005 when this would have been a $500 bike? There are all sorts of code phrases and contradictions here that would have me looking elsewhere. First, the side cover is off, and probably now lost, because he's been dicking around with the battery in addition to the carbs and just plain gave up. Ask yourself why anyone would move on to another project when they obviously haven't finished the one they've been working on AND IT'S NOW BEEN CLASSIFIED AS DEAD SPACE. Any honest shade tree moto mechanic would persevere to the bitter end or admit he'd met his match.

It has a new battery. Just needs charged from sitting. It will start.

Ever heard the phrase "thou doth protest too much?" I know it can be difficult, but wait for an ad where the seller displays a command of the English language, knowledge of the bike in question, and a degree of honesty. They will typically be the first or second owner and will list the bike's idiosyncrasies, limitations, design flaws, etc., and what they've done to offset them if anything. Look for proof that they've lived with it and were willing to put their backside on the line and ride it further than the end of the street.

Hang onto your cash and hold out for a nice Gen 2 Nighthawk like Mr. Backov, or a nice non-threatening commuter from the same era.

dogballs420
Jul 6, 2012
Ask me about posting pictures of my dick for fun & profit
Will I die if I buy a 900cc bike as a first bike. I don't plan on going above 60 for like 6 months/till I feel comfortable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

dogballs420 posted:

Will I die if I buy a 900cc bike as a first bike. I don't plan on going above 60 for like 6 months/till I feel comfortable.

Probably not, but you're more likely to than if you bought a 250cc bike. A big bike has the ability to accidentally get you in much deeper poo poo much more quickly than a small one does.

What bike is it specifically? What do you intend to do that something like a Ninja 250 can't?

e: and by the way, speaking from experience, your confidence will rise much faster than your riding skills. don't use "I'll be careful" as a reason to get something beyond your skill level.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 11, 2012

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

Marv Hushman posted:

Hang onto your cash and hold out for a nice Gen 2 Nighthawk like Mr. Backov, or a nice non-threatening commuter from the same era.

Thanks for the reply. Can you give me examples of old commuters or other bikes that I should be looking at? To help you I want one that's 250-750cc and looks something like the CBs, Nighthawks, or Viragos.

dogballs420
Jul 6, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Probably not, but you're more likely to than if you bought a 250cc bike. A big bike has the ability to accidentally get you in much deeper poo poo much more quickly than a small one does.

What bike is it specifically? What do you intend to do that something like a Ninja 250 can't?

e: and by the way, speaking from experience, your confidence will rise much faster than your riding skills. don't use "I'll be careful" as a reason to get something beyond your skill level.

2012 Triumph Thruxton. I was planning on taking the beginning, intermediate, and advanced motorcycle courses as well as spending early morning hours in parking lots going around cones to improve my bike handling. I'm pretty methodical about everything I do but I just wanted some input. I'm also pretty big on safety (I'm a union industrial electrician) and would never be caught dead without full leather and gear.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Full leather when working or on the motorcycle? :gay:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

dogballs420 posted:

2012 Triumph Thruxton. I was planning on taking the beginning, intermediate, and advanced motorcycle courses as well as spending early morning hours in parking lots going around cones to improve my bike handling. I'm pretty methodical about everything I do but I just wanted some input. I'm also pretty big on safety (I'm a union industrial electrician) and would never be caught dead without full leather and gear.

Well, a 900cc twin is definitely better than a 900cc I4 supersport, but it still seems like a pretty large bike to start on. Smaller would be better. And you're planning on buying new? I've never seen anyone but dealers suggesting that was a good idea. No matter how careful you are, the bike will eventually end up on its side (most likely just from backing it out of the garage or forgetting to put the kickstand down before you step off or something equally stupid) and you'll feel really bad when you ruin that pristine new paint job.

Is it just that you like the vintage style? There are zillions of old UJMs with a similar style, and you might be able to find a W650 if you look hard enough.

dogballs420
Jul 6, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Well, a 900cc twin is definitely better than a 900cc I4 supersport, but it still seems like a pretty large bike to start on. Smaller would be better. And you're planning on buying new? I've never seen anyone but dealers suggesting that was a good idea. No matter how careful you are, the bike will eventually end up on its side (most likely just from backing it out of the garage or forgetting to put the kickstand down before you step off or something equally stupid) and you'll feel really bad when you ruin that pristine new paint job.

Is it just that you like the vintage style? There are zillions of old UJMs with a similar style, and you might be able to find a W650 if you look hard enough.

I might buy a used thruxton on craigslist but I really like the newer ones (2009+) as opposed to the 2002-2007.

EDIT: Actually this 2007 looks purrdy http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/3124165221.html

and a 2011:

http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/mcy/3120691193.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The triumph won't be much worse than an sv power wise, but I'd caution against buying an expensive bike for your first, especially a cafe style bike, because for me the thruxton was not comfortable at all, just as bad as a modern supersport if not worse. Bikes are great but it sucks when you don't want to ride because your wrists are killing you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh, I'd ride the crap out of any of the new Triumph twins. The 2002-7s look pretty sexy to me:

I'd still suggest going with something older and a little more beat up, though. If you really want one of those Triumphs, I'd be looking for one that was 5-10 years old and looked like it had been seriously ridden. Not trashed, but not babied and only taken out to the bar on friday nights when it wasn't raining, either.

Of course if someone is just starting out and shows an interest in vintage styled bikes I will also recommend the CB/CL350 because it's awesome and ideal to start on and there is absolutely no bias or conflict of interest in that statement

e: drat does that particular one have a lot of extraneous crap all over it. here's another with less junk

dogballs420
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah they are just so drat beautiful. I only recently got interested in motorcycles in the last year or so when I saw a picture of a triumph bonnie and just fell in love with the styling and couldn't stop looking at pictures for hours. It hooked me so to speak. I refuse to own anything that isn't British on principal and not to wag my own tail but money isn't really an issue and if i crashed it i would just buy another no biggie-- I'm more worried about getting hurt is all.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dogballs420 posted:

I refuse to own anything that isn't British on principal

Why is this?

dogballs420 posted:

and not to wag my own tail but money isn't really an issue and if i crashed it i would just buy another no biggie-- I'm more worried about getting hurt is all.

Try not to have the attitude that crashing is "no biggie" for whatever reason. If you crash at anything above a crawl you will get hurt, no matter what you're riding. It's good to be conscientious and cautious, and high-quality gear will go a long way to saving your skin (literally), but motorcycling is inherently dangerous and if you're going to do it you have to accept that risk.

dogballs420
Jul 6, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Why is this?

My grandpa didn't die in Okinawa so I could buy some jap piece of poo poo and harleys just seem retarded.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm starting to sense that dogballs420 may be an old friend of ours :crossarms:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I keep telling him to play the long game but he's like a bottle rocket. Quick shot, small bang.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

dogballs420 posted:

My grandpa didn't die in Okinawa so I could buy some jap piece of poo poo and harleys just seem retarded.

My forefathers didn't revolt from England just so I could ride their fancy schmancy bikes 200 years later :mad:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

dogballs420 posted:

Japanese bikes are okay now. We put more than enough innocent Americans of Japanese descent into internment camps to make up for it.

You could ride a Japanese bike, or you could diagnose electrical issues on a British bike.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

dogballs420 posted:

This is loving absurd. One of your other ancestors probably died in the revolutionary war too. While there's nothing wrong with Triumphs (aside from being fairly expensive for a first bike), Jap bikes are far from pieces of poo poo.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Safety Dance posted:

You could ride a Japanese bike, or you could diagnose electrical issues on a British bike.
Well he did say he's an electrician.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Sagebrush posted:

Eh, I'd ride the crap out of any of the new Triumph twins. The 2002-7s look pretty sexy to me:

I'd still suggest going with something older and a little more beat up, though. If you really want one of those Triumphs, I'd be looking for one that was 5-10 years old and looked like it had been seriously ridden. Not trashed, but not babied and only taken out to the bar on friday nights when it wasn't raining, either.

Of course if someone is just starting out and shows an interest in vintage styled bikes I will also recommend the CB/CL350 because it's awesome and ideal to start on and there is absolutely no bias or conflict of interest in that statement

e: drat does that particular one have a lot of extraneous crap all over it. here's another with less junk

These bikes vibrate worse than Silver's mom's "relaxation massagers" at speeds above 50mph. Pretty sure sagebrush hasn't gone that fast on his yet. They're cool if you want a vintage bike to poke around on in town but not a great first bike.

EDIT: I owned one years ago so I have actual experience w/ them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Blah dee blah blah. A CL350 cruises along perfectly fine at 70mph with the handlebars humming along in "deep tissue massage" mode. It starts to get a little squirrely beyond that speed but I haven't had any problems passing cars on the interstate, even going uphill. That's quite adequate for an engine that displaces less than a soda can.

If I were an Iron Butt kinda guy I'd want something else, but I think you're really exaggerating how uncomfortable it is.

Great first bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you don't death grip the bars like they're the only thing keeping you on the road you'll discover vibes really aren't that big a deal.

I do find it hilarious how n8r switches between being a huge baby about everything to the most hardcore motorcyclist depending on how he's feeling that day. :allears:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I like the one sided conversations between you two.. it's like 2 deaf guys talking poo poo to eachother in sign while back to back.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

quote:

I like the one sided conversations between you two.. it's like 2 deaf guys talking poo poo to eachother in sign while back to back.

That's the beauty of it. I hope n8r sees the humor in it, because it's fantastic. :v:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I agree! Not quoting so that there's a little wonder caused by me talking to myself (from his POV)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Buddy is looking into buying an RD400. Anyone have any things to look at on those in specific?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How's a Monster 696 for a first (big) bike? I've watched a bunch of videos on YouTube and it only ever seems to be women riding them. I don't want to get a woman's bike.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

So I took my MSF class this past weekend and now I'm looking for my first bike. All I'll be doing is going to and from work and around town(PHX). I don't have a whole lot of money quite yet but I'm still looking and bookmarking ads on CL that are appealing. What do you guys think of this?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3118225546.html

I don't know anything mechanical so I have no idea how bad that grinding in 4th and 5th is. Should I check out this bike? What should I check/lookout for and what would be a reasonable offer for it?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Frankston posted:

How's a Monster 696 for a first (big) bike? I've watched a bunch of videos on YouTube and it only ever seems to be women riding them. I don't want to get a woman's bike.
If you're even considering "is a woman's bike" as your list of features to avoid, you're into bikes for the wrong loving reasons.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

If you're even considering "is a woman's bike" as your list of features to avoid, you're into bikes for the wrong loving reasons.

I don't care to be honest, I'm trying to decide between a Bonneville or the Monster. I just found it interesting that all the Monster reviews are done by women.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yet another mootmoot account? How many can this guy have?

(In the marginal chance that you're serious, Frankston, the only people who unironically call any motorcycle a "woman's bike" are douchebags with tiny cocks)

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

XYLOPAGUS posted:

So, I've had my '10 Ninja 250 for just over three months now and I've hit about 2800 miles of riding. I'm still quite slow on the twisty roads, but confident and careful on city streets and highway riding. I like the 250 quite a bit, but I've found that my legs aren't a huge fan of the (albeit relaxed) riding position. They start to fall asleep after just a few dozen miles of highway riding.

My riding buddy has a VSTROM and highly suggested the WEE-STROM. I sat on his bike and fell in love. While the DL1000 is a tad too big, the DL650 sits a bit lower and is, as I've heard, a smaller bike overall. I definitely like the dual-sport riding position and "idealogy". There are LOTS of opportunities for off-road riding around here and I'd love to give it a try.

So, I've been thinking about switching up for about a week and found this beauty:

I contacted the seller and got some info:
-Currently runs and was previously used for commuting
~20,XXX miles
-Oil changed by owner every 3,000 miles
-Tires are at ~50%
-Anti-theft system

He's asking $1,500 for it and I'm VERY TEMPTED. I'll probably offer a little less just because that's what you're supposed to do. I could sell the 250 for about $3,000 and have a bike that I would enjoy even more!

Is this a terrible idea?

So, I went to see this bike. Pics first:

Now the story:
Called the guy, told him I was on my way and showed up an hour later. Rolled up to the bike parked in his driveway and nobody out, so my wingman (an experienced DL1000 rider) and I go ahead and take a look at it before calling. The guy doesn't pick up the phone but I was pretty sure he was at his window waiting. Left a really polite voicemail saying that it wasn't what I was interested in and drove off.

This thing looked like it had survived TWO apocalypses. Every piece of the bike was destroyed. Masking-tape wiring. Bungee cord instrument mounts. Instrument panel with both tach and speedo stuck. Kinked up chain. It was AWFUL. If he had used "needs some work" in his description, I probably wouldn't have called in the first place.

I didn't even sit on it (which was my main goal) or start it. We did turn the key and heard the fuel pump, so that's a plus, but I didn't want a rod to go through my leg so I didn't dare crank it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jesus christ that thing is DESTROYED.

Also the RD400 we went to go buy today exploded on the ride home. Thankfully, the guy took the bike back...seemed like an honest enough dude, just have to wonder what the hell caused the bike to die on the freeway and then completely stall out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Z3n posted:

Jesus christ that thing is DESTROYED.

So maybe it didn't lay on it's side running for two minutes. But it's accumulated at least that much rotational time horizontal. :-)