Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It isn't finished yet, you can see exposed ports on all the barrels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Elmnt80 posted:

There also a lack of cooling and generally everything else I'd expect to have under the hood of a vehicle. kinda thinking it might just be for show.

Radial aircraft engines are air-cooled.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

Radial aircraft engines are air-cooled.

They usually hang the engine out in the airstream, not fully inside a cowling. Same with motorcycles.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
It could be a huge FRP cover over a small inline 6.

Also, VW beetle cylinder heads have cooling fins, and they are crammed inside the engine compartment.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

It could be a huge FRP cover over a small inline 6.

Also, VW beetle cylinder heads have cooling fins, and they are crammed inside the engine compartment.

But they're like, 1.8 liters not 18 liters or whatever that radial engine is.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I guess that's one benefit of a fiberglass body. That looks awesome.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I loooove those exposed exhaust arrangements! What's in that Exige? Thought it was a Hennessey Venom for a split second!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It must be the perspective of the photo but the front track looks a lot wider than the rear track because of the offset of the wheels, is this actually the case?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

rscott posted:

It must be the perspective of the photo but the front track looks a lot wider than the rear track because of the offset of the wheels, is this actually the case?
Rear camber looks more aggressive, and the rear wheels are dished rather than flush with the tire sidewall. They're probably about the same.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Falken posted:

I loooove those exposed exhaust arrangements! What's in that Exige? Thought it was a Hennessey Venom for a split second!

Speaking of

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Fuckin' love that car. Reminds me of a GT1 spec Exige.

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007
For all you Roadkill guys, they are on the 2nd day of a 3 day live stream at a trade show doing a real time engine swap in the Crusher Camaro. Out went the supercharged 468 big block, and in it's place is going a 700 hp 427ci LS7 with tunnel ram, twin efi throttle bodies, and an old school scoop. They are then going to drive it Roadkill style back to Cali from Indiana. It's been a pretty cool watch so far.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Twistershift posted:

For all you Roadkill guys, they are on the 2nd day of a 3 day live stream at a trade show doing a real time engine swap in the Crusher Camaro. Out went the supercharged 468 big block, and in it's place is going a 700 hp 427ci LS7 with tunnel ram, twin efi throttle bodies, and an old school scoop. They are then going to drive it Roadkill style back to Cali from Indiana. It's been a pretty cool watch so far.

So hoods off then huh?

I love RoadKill and will have to check this out when I get back home from work. If anyone hasn't watched Roadkill, check it out on Youtube.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Krakkles posted:

As an owner, why would you ever, ever, ever, EVER put that cover on?

Do you WANT the terrorists to win?

Heat, mostly.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://blog.toyota.co.uk/2000gtsev_qa_saito

2000GT converted to a solar paneled EV.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As whiny as it'll sound, they could've done that with something a little less rare and priceless.

edit: wrong word

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 14, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Slavvy posted:

As whiny as it'll sound, they could've done that with something a little less rare and priceless.

Agreed, that was probably not the best choice of cars to hack up into a prius.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slavvy posted:

As whiny as it'll sound, they could've done that with something a little less race and priceless.

He has five of them and wasn't driving the other four anyway. :effort:

quote:

The Toyota 2000GT is a very rare car. How did you find one to work on?
The President of Chiba Toyopet [a major dealer network in Japan] had five 2000GTs and my team had already restored one with a petrol engine. He had four more vehicles but these were just stored away, with lots of dust and rust. I asked the president if we could use one. I said ‘It’s better to use this car and try to add new technology than to leave it in storage.’ He agreed with me and let me use it for my plan.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

On the other hand, now the car is actually being used instead of just sitting in a garage. You can't really fault the workmanship either, looks really nice.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My dad worked as a surveyor in Iraq back in the early 1960's They drove all over the desert in Chevy Pickups with Bedouin as their guides/navigators since there were no roads. He took all these pics and developed them in his tent on dark nights.

Sometimes they got stuck:

They attached these winches they made to the rear wheels and put it in low range.

Then they would haul themselves out of the muck.

And back to driving around.

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

Mercury Ballistic posted:

My dad worked as a surveyor in Iraq back in the early 1960's They drove all over the desert in Chevy Pickups with Bedouin as their guides/navigators since there were no roads. He took all these pics and developed them in his tent on dark nights.

They attached these winches they made to the rear wheels and put it in low range.

This whole post is awesome, but this winch idea is genius. I mean obviously there are safety issues, but is there any reason why I've never seen anything like this before?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sometimes they got stuck:

Then they would haul themselves out of the muck.

And back to driving around.

My dad's PhD advisor did this too! Once he ran into Agatha Christie!

He still went there for conferences until recently, unfortunately almost everyone he use to deal with has met a violent death(Iranians, Saddam, Americans, Americans 2, various sectarian strife.)

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Throatwarbler posted:

My dad's PhD advisor did this too! Once he ran into Agatha Christie!

He still went there for conferences until recently, unfortunately almost everyone he use to deal with has met a violent death(Iranians, Saddam, Americans, Americans 2, various sectarian strife.)

My dad met her (Agatha Christie) and her husband out there. Is your dads advisor from the UK? They may have worked together.

Edit: Fixed. Happy now?

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 14, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yep!

Are...you my dad? :ohdear:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

My dad met her husband out there.

I'm very confused.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kenshin posted:

I'm very confused.

My dad met this woman's husband out there.

I assume "her" refers to someone not otherwise mentioned in the sentence.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

exempt posted:

This whole post is awesome, but this winch idea is genius. I mean obviously there are safety issues, but is there any reason why I've never seen anything like this before?

Its not common, but it has been used on vehicles before. There is a VW based Canadian Military jeep like vehicle that uses this system. Its dangerous and you can end up worse off than before, but in the right situation its a neat trick.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Please repost these pictures in the off road pictures thread. They are great!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Its not common, but it has been used on vehicles before. There is a VW based Canadian Military jeep like vehicle that uses this system. Its dangerous and you can end up worse off than before, but in the right situation its a neat trick.

I didn't realize the Iltis was specific to the Canadian military. I guess we're the only dumbfucks that would trust a Volkswagen built by Bombardier to do life-risking work.

God, they're sketchy:

e: The Belgians use it too. Insert joke here.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I didn't realize the Iltis was specific to the Canadian military. I guess we're the only dumbfucks that would trust a Volkswagen built by Bombardier to do life-risking work.

God, they're sketchy:

I don't know if its exclusive to Canada, but I know that it was at least tested and considered for military use. Why the gently caress would anyone want that thing ?

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

jonathan posted:

I don't know if its exclusive to Canada, but I know that it was at least tested and considered for military use. Why the gently caress would anyone want that thing ?

I want it just as an around town beater. Why? Exactly because it's sketchy. Also it reminds my of a VW Thing. Which is awesome.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Look how cheap this is! And look how it's almost like an actual jeep! This compromise will be good for the budget!

Sold.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

exempt posted:

I want it just as an around town beater. Why? Exactly because it's sketchy. Also it reminds my of a VW Thing. Which is awesome.

I believe it's technically the VW Type 183, which would make it a direct descendant of the Type 181/182/Thing.

I think I'd rather have the Thing.

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

I believe it's technically the VW Type 183, which would make it a direct descendant of the Type 181/182/Thing.

I think I'd rather have the Thing.

I've only seen one Thing in my life. It was sitting behind my uncle's tractor on his farm. He was fixing something on it for a friend and the entire front end was smashed up. I think I was like 12 at the time. I asked if I could drive it. After proving I could drive a manual in his Willy's he let me drive the Thing. I drove it up and down his lane maybe 100 times that day.

So yeah, I'd rather have a Thing, but being a man of compromise I could settle with that Type 183.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

God, they're sketchy:

The principle behind the vehicle seems fairly sound. It was supposed to be a very lightweight and off-road capable runabout, not an armoured car or anything like that, and it did the job quite well. It was much better off road than the G-wagen that replaced it. Towards the end of its life the problem was just that they were too old and broke all the time, not anything inherently wrong with the design. Also it used gas when everything else in the fleet that was on active operations used diesel.

If you really want something to be miffed about, go read up on the LSVW, which was a 1-ton FIAT/IVECO truck built in that center of automotive production excellence, Kelowna. Selected over the Unimog in a process that was definitely not 100% corrupt at all! It's the F35 of medium sized green trucks. :geno:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 14, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Slavvy posted:

Look how cheap this is! And look how it's almost like an actual jeep! This compromise will be good for the budget!

Sold.

They crush great too!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The trailer saves this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
In the wild!