Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Microwaves Mom posted:

Why do people summon purple people? They seem the most pointless poo poo. You don't get exp for killing them or even an item.

I don't think anyone is summoning me? I plonk my sign down in a random location and then soon after I'm teleported as a mad spirit somewhere close by the host in their world to do what I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

You're going in the wrong direction for the respec lady, she's in the Cathedral of the Deep, if you haven't found it, go back to the second Road of Sacrifices bonfire and explore the ruins to left of the swamp area.
Also she's pretty far in and it's a tough area.

I did find the Cathedral of the Deep, I'll change course and check that out!

Second question, what's the buff/debuff to the right of my increased stamina regen? http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/270589293977434432/4DDC804E1C6B6D65BFFC00584E171874C834522A/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shows you have a Ring of Sacrifice equipped.
Unless there's something else that looks very similar.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

Holy poo poo, Nameless King was probably the hardest thing I've done in a Souls game. The fight itself was alright despite him constantly twoshotting me, but King of the Storm is just unfun as poo poo and having to go through that every time killed it for me. I must have had to fight that thing like seventy times.

Oh man, I gotta do that every time?! It wouldn't be so bad if the clouds didn't completely gently caress up my depth perception, I keep whiffing 80% of my attacks.

At least I get to see that anime-as-hell intro over and over :c00lbutt:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Shows you have a Ring of Sacrifice equipped.
Unless there's something else that looks very similar.

I am not wearing a ring of sacrifice. I had that same symbol before I cured the dark sigil and thought it was related to that, but I have no hollowing going on now.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Wildtortilla posted:

Second question, what's the buff/debuff to the right of my increased stamina regen? http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/270589293977434432/4DDC804E1C6B6D65BFFC00584E171874C834522A/
If it's not the Ring of Sacrifice, you probably have a multiplayer password enabled. The icon for that is based on the Engraved Ring from DS2, I believe.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Michaellaneous posted:

e:

You don't look cool + lower HP.

I just paid 100k souls to remove hollowing at Firelink.... and my HP is exactly the same :(((

edit: wow, the Ring of Favor is pretty spiffy. It only gives <1 Vigor's worth of HP, but 9 whole stamina points and 2.5 weight limit. That's like.... ~12 levels worth of stats :pwn:

immortal flow fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 17, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God drat, the Demon Ruins area sucks so bad. The worst enemies from the other worst location, in cramped quarters, by the bucketload- with hallways upon hallways that look the same, for a massive detour that leads to nowhere of note, split off from a single giant open area that there is little reason to detour from in the first place.

Wow.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Only hp influence is ember or not

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Exodee posted:

If it's not the Ring of Sacrifice, you probably have a multiplayer password enabled. The icon for that is based on the Engraved Ring from DS2, I believe.

That was it! No wonder I haven't been seeing signs this morning...

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

CJacobs posted:

God drat, the Demon Ruins area sucks so bad. The worst enemies from the other worst location, in cramped quarters, by the bucketload- with hallways upon hallways that look the same, for a massive detour that leads to nowhere of note, split off from a single giant open area that there is little reason to detour from in the first place.

Wow.

It IS pretty crap, but it's the Demon Ruins / Lost Izalith analogue, what did you expect?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm starting to feel that parrying is just not worth it - sure it looks cool but the penalty for failure is massive AND the chance of messing up is incredibly high. Doubly so in PVP.

Convince me of the merits of parrying because right now it feels like a detriment to my enjoyment of the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So, uh, do I tell that dude I had to put Horace out of his misery or not?

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

double nine posted:

I'm starting to feel that parrying is just not worth it - sure it looks cool but the penalty for failure is massive AND the chance of messing up is incredibly high. Doubly so in PVP.

Convince me of the merits of parrying because right now it feels like a detriment to my enjoyment of the game.

You feel swag as gently caress when you do it and own some nerd in pvp.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

double nine posted:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

So, uh, do I tell that dude I had to put Horace out of his misery or not?

If you want the special ending, don't.

I just accidentally killed The Shrine Handmaid and now she's charging extra for everything. That's pretty cool but not also not cool.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Just beat Abyss watchers in Farron Keep. Is there anywhere I can find their armour? I really want that hat.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
https://www.gamefaqs.com

Famine
May 8, 2004
This game is running the same at 800x600 as it does at 1920x1080

At 1080p I get ~35 fps at 99% GPU utilization.
At 720p I get ~35-40fps but 60% GPU util.
At 800x600 I get ~35-40fps but at 25% GPU util

Running low detail.

Tried multiple drivers (including the doom beta 364.96 one). In nvidia control panel options are set for max performance.

Its not a CPU bottleneck, cpu utilization is quite low, usually around 30% regardless of res.

Laptop is a i7-4702mq, with an nvidia 760m 2g, 8gig ram, SSD. No other games do this.

Its playable, but very annoying

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

kanonvandekempen posted:

Just beat Abyss watchers in Farron Keep. Is there anywhere I can find their armour? I really want that hat.

You can buy it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

double nine posted:

Parrying feels useless in pvp when it only does like <400 damage and the host can just roll away 5 times and heal up.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Famine posted:

This game is running the same at 800x600 as it does at 1920x1080

At 1080p I get ~35 fps at 99% GPU utilization.
At 720p I get ~35-40fps but 60% GPU util.
At 800x600 I get ~35-40fps but at 25% GPU util

Running low detail.

Tried multiple drivers (including the doom beta 364.96 one). In nvidia control panel options are set for max performance.

Its not a CPU bottleneck, cpu utilization is quite low, usually around 30% regardless of res.

Laptop is a i7-4702mq, with an nvidia 760m 2g, 8gig ram, SSD. No other games do this.

Its playable, but very annoying

I get something similar, but to a lesser extent. Same low CPU / GPU utilization, same frame rate drops. The biggest performance hog setting I've noticed is the Effects Quality one, with that set to Low the fps drops aren't nearly so bad. I5-2500k @ 3.3GHz, Nvidia GTX 970 4gig model, 8 gigs RAM, SSD. I suspect crappy programming.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
IF I JUST PUT THE CRYSTAL RAPIER WITH MAGIC FIND IN MY LEFT HAND BUT STILL GET KILLS AND KILL WITH MY MAIN WEAPON 2HANDED DO I STILL GET THE MAGIC FIND BUFF?? THANKS.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
NVM I'M RETARDED IT WORKS, THE MAGIC FIND BUFF ICON IS THERE. THANKS.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the pontiff is pretty loving hard

Famine
May 8, 2004

immortal flow posted:

I get something similar, but to a lesser extent. Same low CPU / GPU utilization, same frame rate drops. The biggest performance hog setting I've noticed is the Effects Quality one, with that set to Low the fps drops aren't nearly so bad. I5-2500k @ 3.3GHz, Nvidia GTX 970 4gig model, 8 gigs RAM, SSD. I suspect crappy programming.

I feel an idiot. I was going by the average of all 4 cores (8 threads) that MSI afterburner showed....when it reality one core was close to 100%

I had my CPU throttled to 50% to keep temps low...On most games I've played recently theres no performance difference (or very minimal) between running at 1.2ghz or 2.2ghz (im looking at "the division").
Game is now running at 40fps on 1080p, and 50-60fps on 900p and lower.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

immortal flow posted:

you both have bad cpus

namaste

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I AM BRAWW posted:

NVM I'M RETARDED IT WORKS, THE MAGIC FIND BUFF ICON IS THERE. THANKS.

You also get an item find buff for having it slotted. I've just had the thing hangin on my belt while I 2-hand big fuckoff swords and enjoying all the extra drops now. I'm dumb and kept only reading magic buff because it does that too.

Minrad posted:

you both have bad cpus

namaste

It's been acting assy randomly for peeps I know with ridiculous specs, to some level it's gotta be an optimization problem somewhere.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 17, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The pontiff feels like a boss who would be great in bloodborne with its regain and speed step and a bit poo poo in dark souls using a really loving heavy weapon but maybe its my build

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Minrad posted:

you both have bad cpus

namaste

This is true, but why is the utilization so low across all 4 cores? It never breaks 80% on core 1 or 50% on the other cores, no matter the situation. Temperatures are fine too. I'm sitting here right now at 50 fps, with GPU and CPU nowhere near maxed out, which just shouldn't be happening.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So, a friend of mine told me Abyss Watchers was a fun boss fight.

It was a lie.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
Really good end game soul farming spot in Archdragon Peak

Gets you 100k souls per 5 minutes, or double that in NG+. I farmed all the boss armors and all vendor miracles, sorceries and pyromancies with it before starting ng+. I used some +souls gear Shield of Want, Covetous Silver Ring and Symbol of Avarice

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AEyMManMUL-TXDY&cid=D52264672BC3DF40&id=D52264672BC3DF40!583&parId=D52264672BC3DF40!582&o=OneUp

I don't know if it has been mentioned before since the thread moves so quick.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Done and finished. :toot:

I played through Dark Souls 3, with all optional bosses/areas. Only got one ending, of course, so I'll go for the others when I replay/go for achievements. This game is a real treat, MUCH, MUCH better than Dark Souls 2, but I think Bloodborne is still superior overall. I really appreciated all the QoL improvements they made: teleporting from each bonfire, ash flasks, special fast spells, easily accessible covenants & covenant switching, and so on. I also like the bosses very much. What I missed the most from DS2 was the sheer variety of bosses in Demon's Souls, which could be hit and miss, but were fun nonetheless; in DS3, there's a lot of "humanoid with various combos", but each has interesting mechanics to their fights, and there's a lot rather unusual fights too. Best of both worlds, really. I really would've liked a straight-up puzzle boss in the vein of Micolash or Dragon God, though (done well, of course), and no, Ancient Wyvern doesn't count as a puzzle boss...
Favorite bosses are probably Twin Princes, Nameless King, Aldrich, Deacons of the Deep and the Dancer. Honorable mention for the big-rear end cursed tree (giant & unusual), the crazy final fight vs Cinder Soul (SO MANY PHASES! AND HOLY poo poo HE'S AIR-JUGGLING ME) and Yhorm (easy fight, but MAN is it cool)..
I'm glad they had more NPC questlines this time around, too. DS2 really didn't do much with its NPCs aside from herding them through locations, making them merchants, or unceremoniously killing them eventually. There's a lot more going on now with the cast! A little disappointed there's no dude who murders NPCs unless you stop him, though.

There's negatives, too. Smouldering Lake is an interesting setpiece at first, but once you get into the actual dungeon, it's the WORST loving AREA I've ever seen. Worse than Lost Izalith, worse than the most uninspired Bloodborne Chalice Dungeons. Everything looks the same. It's a boring-looking labyrinth! Who thought THAT was a good idea? I'm glad you can skip it completely. At least the main area is really cool if you see it for the first time, I got mayor Ash Lake flashbacks from it.
Also, Faron Keep is... okay, I guess. I'm one of those weird people who really liked Valley of Defilement, Blighttown and Nightmare Frontier; I think poison areas with limited movement can be very interesting and atmospheric, if done right. This one was okay, but it's far too big - it's hard to see where you've been already. I would've liked more landmarks.
Apparently, my fight against skeleton lord dude glitched out? He never spawned any additional minions. I kinda feel guilty about beating him on the first try now, because I never had those to contend with.

Absolute highlights:
Finding out the skeleton boulders in the Catacombs also roll UPWARDS. Holy poo poo. :haw:
Discovering that the drake in High Wall does not take too kindly to shooting arrows at it from the bonfire tower.
Nameless King. Difficult and rewarding. I liked the first phase with the bird, and the melee phases too. Cool stuff.
The Twin Princes are an extremely cool fight. Love the concept.
Cathedral of the Deep is a contender for the best area of the entire series. I love the approach through the graves, climbing the outside, then the interior with the giants and bridges and all that. Deacons is also somewhat of a puzzle boss, I really liked that one!
Totally stumbling through Siegward's questline by accident. Although I freed him in the dungeon, I didn't get him for the Yhorm fight for some reason (I missed him out in Ihyll somehow, maybe that's what prevented it); but that first scene with the demon in the Undead Settlement was magnificent.
Also, Aldrich is officially the most disgusting and evil character of the entire series. Dude gives me the creeps. Even worse that, in his boss fight, it doesn't seem like he looks similar to Gwyndolin - nope, he's literally just a bone-filled sludge, and CURRENTLY EATING GWYNDOLIN AND PUPPETEERING HIS CORPSE AROUND. :stare: :stare: :stare: Also, what was up with that "vision of the deep sea" he supposedly had while eating gods? Is he having premonitions of becoming a Great One in Bloodborne? Holy poo poo, what a dude.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Toiwat posted:

It was a lie.

IT'S GOOD

it's easy but it's also tense due to the amount of dmg that man can put out with a single combo and also if it's ur first time going thru ur like "holy poo poo what's going on"

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Toiwat posted:

It was a lie.

I loved it personally. Very much reminded me of Devil May Cry's Vergil fights.

Pretty much stuck on Dancer right now. Partially because of the ludicrous damage and partially because the game crashes my display drivers every 2-3 attempts.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Calihan posted:

I loved it personally. Very much reminded me of Devil May Cry's Vergil fights.

Pretty much stuck on Dancer right now. Partially because of the ludicrous damage and partially because the game crashes my display drivers every 2-3 attempts.

make sure ur lighting is at LOW

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

immortal flow posted:

This is true, but why is the utilization so low across all 4 cores? It never breaks 80% on core 1 or 50% on the other cores, no matter the situation. Temperatures are fine too. I'm sitting here right now at 50 fps, with GPU and CPU nowhere near maxed out, which just shouldn't be happening.

The game just isn't very good at using your CPU but is still CPU limited in most cases.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Which bosses are optional?

Also, which swords are the best? I like to be fast and I've been using the broadsword +4 until now. I'm in the Boreal

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh god drat it. I didn't realise that burning bone shards improved your flask across all bonfires. I thought you levelled each individually so I was saving them.

I was wondering what the point would be in upgrading a bonfire when there's one every three steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Toriori posted:

Which bosses are optional?

Also, which swords are the best? I like to be fast and I've been using the broadsword +4 until now. I'm in the Boreal

You can skip the following:

Curse-rotted Tree thingie (you miss out on the Transposing Kiln, though)
Ancient Wyvern (located in the optional dragon area)
Nameless King (same as above)
Consumed King (located on sidepath after the Dancer fight, need this - or rather, something after his fight - for the optional dragon area)

I think that's all that can be skipped.